Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Also the Bee Chest owns so it's worth running for that if nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Event is alright so far. Seems like the quest portion might not be coming back, which would be a bummer.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Have they said what they plan to do for Tokyo combat? I assume they will add some new mechanic like they did before, but hopefully one that doesn't make everybody quit the game.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
I'm on the fence on this one. Does the story make up for the criticism I see of the gameplay's combat? Is there gameplay beyond combat thats redeeming?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nf3 posted:

I'm on the fence on this one. Does the story make up for the criticism I see of the gameplay's combat? Is there gameplay beyond combat thats redeeming?

The game is 100% worth playing for the atmosphere and story, yeah. Besides the combat (which isn't even terrible, it's just kinda :mediocre:) there's very cool Investigation missions (which involve solving puzzles and researching poo poo) and very janky stealth/platforming missions.

It evens out to be worth playing at the price of free.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As an example, one of the investigation missions I did today had me looking up biblical verses in Latin and then composing music. And the objective wasn't "look this up in Latin" either, I had to solve a riddle to get that much out of it. And random NPCs in this game have more character than most other MMOs. Give it a go, if you hate it you lost nothing.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The combat is certainly average but can be satisfying in its own right. But if you are interested at all in secret societies, urban legends, and the supernatural then this game just oozes that atmosphere and there is nothing else out there like it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I created a new character, got to Kingsmouth and can't get any of the ARG weapons or outfits from the "delivered items" tab, though I specifically left them there for alts. Is that tab character-specific even for "recurring" items like the cosmetics?

E: relogging did it. At least for the ARG stuff. I was hoping to use the Steam DLC to boost the character I made with aurum from it, but it looks like getting the aurum on my main character may have tied everything else to him too. Ah well.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 2, 2017

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Can any character do the event raid or is it limited to 50s and/or some minimum level of stats?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

Can any character do the event raid or is it limited to 50s and/or some minimum level of stats?

Any character.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Never participated in the flappy event back in the day but it's pretty fun.

Only got blasted off the platform once because I pinballed between four AOEs :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

Never participated in the flappy event back in the day but it's pretty fun.

Only got blasted off the platform once because I pinballed between four AOEs :v:

I got knocked off twice. The first time I had no idea where I had respawned -- I was running around the platform trying to figure out where everything had gone and why there was no branch to take me back to the fight. :saddowns:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

I got knocked off twice. The first time I had no idea where I had respawned -- I was running around the platform trying to figure out where everything had gone and why there was no branch to take me back to the fight. :saddowns:

I ended up with a bunch of people fighting another boss on a platform above and I just followed them when they jumped off - seemed to know where they were going and it was all good.

I hope SWL has more seasonal event raid bosses like this in future. I know there are others but they aren't as accessible for casual walk-ins which I think is an important factor.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

So far from what it looks like with the Event lore is everything but the one you grab on the way to fight the Bird is missing since the old paths that the guides mention don't exist anymore. No one knows if they'll be added later, it's a glitch, or it's an oversight that happened with the changes made. Some were speculating a new lore being available en route to the Bird Fight but I certainly didn't see anything on my run earlier today.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well that sure was a 40 man boss.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a breakdown of the droprates from caches? I just had some drop (either they're coded to start dropping when you go into the sewers in Kingsmouth or I had really bad luck for 12 levels before getting three in 5 minutes) and I'm curious if they're in any way a good gamble for AH-able stuff vs the aurum for a key. I'm guessing not but I enjoy doing maths anyway.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

They start dropping around that level. I have several hundred of the agartha caches at level 50, and around 40ish of the new ones. Vendor them for anima or AH your excess caches unless you wanna whale it up. The game shits them at you. There's even a vendor in the agartha hub that straight up sells them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
If you're patron you get to open 1 per day which gets you nice power spikes IMO. It's what I do.

(also I have bought keys because I am weak)

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Bruceski posted:

Is there a breakdown of the droprates from caches? I just had some drop (either they're coded to start dropping when you go into the sewers in Kingsmouth or I had really bad luck for 12 levels before getting three in 5 minutes) and I'm curious if they're in any way a good gamble for AH-able stuff vs the aurum for a key. I'm guessing not but I enjoy doing maths anyway.

Supposedly drop rate goes up as you open more caches. I've saved keys for a few days and in an hour of playing tonight I got 3. You really don't need to worry about them unless you're whaling for keys or just logging in to grab your daily key for a few months.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

From what I've seen on my roster it's somewhere around 12-15 that I got the first cache drop with the 'Look what you got!' pop up. I've pretty much taken the advice of sit on them until 50 because of the distillate scaling and I wait until I have a decent amount of keys stockpiled from the patron free key to start popping. I know I could use aurum and buy some keys,. but I'm saving up to bump my 2 pip ARG weapons to 3 pip.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"How common are caches" was a side-thing, my main question was "do we have enough odds on cache contents that I could look things up on the AH and calculate an expected return value." Sounds like a no or "don't bet on getting anything other than distilate" for that one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

"How common are caches" was a side-thing, my main question was "do we have enough odds on cache contents that I could look things up on the AH and calculate an expected return value." Sounds like a no or "don't bet on getting anything other than distilate" for that one.

I haven't popped any of the Infernals yet, but out of the Agartha ones, all I got was distillates.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

I haven't popped any of the Infernals yet, but out of the Agartha ones, all I got was distillates.

I got some bee wings. They're pretty annoying if you have sound effects on but excellent if you don't.

Everyone else can hear them too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

DancingShade posted:

I got some bee wings. They're pretty annoying if you have sound effects on but excellent if you don't.

I lucked out with picking up a set for something like 40k on the AH. I just use them for showing off since I don't know if it happens to just me or it's some coding thing but if I choose to use any sprint that's not a version of running, I have to hit the X toggle twice to actually get it to load. Plain sprint and anima dash work fine, it's just anything else has that hiccup.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

Just the other day, I got the "Agarthan machinist" outfit from a cache. I like it; nice suspenders.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Once you've got the cache unlocked is there a point in doing the raid?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

poptart_fairy posted:

Once you've got the cache unlocked is there a point in doing the raid?

You can get new stuff ten times. Then you get anima shards, which are also valuable.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

I was opening them every day and got 2 pretty underwhelming weapons, and 2 purple 3rd age bags.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Caches were bugged until recently. There was supposed to be bad luck protection whenever you didn't get cosmetics and (presumably) weapons. It's fixed now. I actually look forward to the distillates since they're free to apply and actually make a dent in purple items.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Caches get you third age nickels which can be used to buy random purple items to use for fusion fodder.

They also can get you signet distillates which are useful for buying four cheapo signets and turning it into one strong one instantly

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Look I'll decide what's important enough to spend my Third Age booty on, thank you very much.

*Clicks for pink scooter*

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Look I'll decide what's important enough to spend my Third Age booty on, thank you very much.

Oh sorry I'm not in endgame gear yet

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I did the steam transfer last night and played for a bit fine. This morning I get a message about invalid credentials on login.

Good job guys.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kokoro Wish posted:

I regret not buying enough sub months in Old TSW to unlock the bee scooter & 3rd age power armor costume.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
And just like that it works again. Incredibly strange.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Yeah I'm pissed that I'm never getting the bee scooter.

The 3rd age wings are hosed up. You can't jump in any direction except forward, turning with the mouse while standing still is painful, and they disappear when touching water or jumping.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Pendent posted:

Same thing happened to me on my very first attempt at logging in after switching to steam login. I tried it again immediately and it worked. Haven't had the problem since.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Pendent posted:

I had that happen too and chalked it up to a hiccup.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Pendent posted:

I did the steam transfer last night and played for a bit fine. This morning I get a message about invalid credentials on login.

Good job guys.

Servers were down, login again when they are up.

Maintenance is usually at 6:00am PST - 8:00am PST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

I had that happen too and chalked it up to a hiccup.

I had the same hiccup last night.