Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

HM: Nagata/Goto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This year has seen so much good wrestling across the world that matches that would normally be top 5 of the year might not even make a best match list.

Yeah, I can think of a handful of matches that would normally be duking it out for the number one spot that are currently struggling to make it into the top 3 (all of which feature Okada, two of which feature Omega) because holy poo poo there have been some amazing matches this year.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
G1 Climax 30/07

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Juice Robinson

HM: Michael Elgin vs. SANADA

Worst Moment of the Year: Omega selling Kojima's chops. Turned a great match into a stupid, goofy shitshow. 25 seconds into this video. I love Kenny but this was the worst of the worst of his worst.

Most Touching Moment of the Year: Hiromu sending the spirit of :daryl: off to the sky.

theminx
Jun 7, 2007
I has a bucket.

Foul Fowl posted:

25 seconds into this video. I love Kenny but this was the worst of the worst of his worst.

Kojima has that effect on people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yODGbbB0Nfw

still - kinda silly.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kojima does the worst chops so :shrug:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

kenny warned you going into the match this was a night off for him

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

G1 Climax 30/07

2nding these.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Juice vs Okada, Elgin vs Sanada

When Juice countered the Rainmaker with a Punch I almost believed he could pull it off

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HM: Juice vs Okada, Elgin vs Sanada

When Juice countered the Rainmaker with a Punch I almost believed he could pull it off

Nth

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I will give the HM to Juice/Okada

Wasn't Kenny referencing the Big Daddy Yum Yum sell of those chops that got him into contention for most improved of the year in whatever year that happened?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, knowing Kenny it was probably intentional.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I haven't watched the last two nights of G1 due to time issues. I know I should see Ishii vs Naito and Juice vs Okada. Are there any others I should seek out when I have time?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In a shocking and unexpected turn of events, I'm gonna go ahead and put in a HM Nomination for Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kota Ibushi at G1 Climax Night 11. Turns out those two are very good wrestlers!

Takuan
May 6, 2007

G1 Climax Night 11:
HM: Yuji Nagata vs Tomohiro Ishii
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kota Ibushi

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Takuan posted:

G1 Climax Night 11:

i agree with both of these. especially the nagata match. what a tournament he's having.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Chad Gable vs. Rusev, WWE Smackdown Live, 1/8
HM: John Cena vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, WWE Smackdown Live, 1/8

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Venomous posted:

Yeah

Really want to see Cena and Nakamura get a half hour after that. They had solid chemistry for their first time working together.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Foul Fowl posted:

G1 Climax 30/07

Worst Moment of the Year: Omega selling Kojima's chops. Turned a great match into a stupid, goofy shitshow. 25 seconds into this video. I love Kenny but this was the worst of the worst of his worst.

Most Touching Moment of the Year: Hiromu sending the spirit of :daryl: off to the sky.

get this: Kojima's chops loving suck and ruin every match he does them in. There are only two acceptable ways to sell those weak lovely chops and it's the Kenny/Big Daddy Yum Yum method or completely ignoring them. A fly could believably no-sell Koji's chops.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Venomous posted:

Yes to both. I was super into Gable there, he's so much fun and his style is unique on the current roster.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Venomous posted:

seconding this one, insane Ibushi esque bump from Cena and Nak won clean with one finisher after kicking out of one of Cena's and totally no-selling the other one.

I'm so mad about Koji's chops, still. They're my most hated move in wrestling. That poo poo pulls me out of a match faster than anything Jim Cornette has ever complained about.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'll take koji's chops over nakamura's little noodle leg poo poo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
not gonna hm or whatever cuz it ain't gonna get any seconds but

You Should Watch: Akira Tozawa vs Ariya Daivari, 205 Live, 8/1

just a real solid, if heatless, match to get you excited for the best match on the Summerslam card assuming you count the preshow

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

abraham linksys posted:

not gonna hm or whatever cuz it ain't gonna get any seconds but

You Should Watch: Akira Tozawa vs Ariya Daivari, 205 Live, 8/1

just a real solid, if heatless, match to get you excited for the best match on the Summerslam card assuming you count the preshow

I liked it

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Takuan posted:

G1 Climax Night 11:

Nth

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Venomous posted:

Supporting these. Very good show tonight

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I guess I personally felt like cena/nakamura was barely anything but a promising look at a bigger match somewhere down the line. Half commercial break, half finishing stretch, and the right guy went over

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Adding an HM to Nagata/Ishii

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dimebags Brain posted:

From Dragon Gate's Kobe World - 7/23
HM - Open the Twin Gate Championship: CK-1 (CIMA & Dragon Kid) vs. Speed Muscle (Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi)

Rewatched this, wanna upgrade to MOTYC. Goddamn this was fire.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Takuan posted:

G1 Climax Night 11:

yeah these were real great

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Takuan posted:

G1 Climax Night 11:

nth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Done my best to get caught up with all the nominations, things should now be accurate up to the current day - please let me know if I missed anything, several matches were just a single vote short of either a MOTYC or HM nomination provided I kept an accurate count.

July's best (and worst) matches:

Matches of the Year
07/01 | Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin in NJPW US Champion Tournament - NJPW Long Beach Night 1
07/02 | Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii for the Inaugural US Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/14 | Volador Jr vs Ultimo Guerrero - Campeon Universal Del CMLL 2017 Tournament Final
07/17 | Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito - G1 Climax Night 1
07/21 | Zach Sabre Jr vs Kota Ibushi - G1 Climax Night 3
07/22 | Kazuchika Okada vs Michael Elgin - G1 Climax Night 4
07/27 | Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin - G1 Climax Night 8

Worst Matches of the Year
07/23 | John Cena vs Rusev in a Flag Match - WWE Battleground
07/23 | Jinder Mahal (C) vs Randy Orton in a Punjabi Prison match for the WWE Championship - WWE Battleground

Honorable Mentions
07/01 | Zack Sabre Jr vs Juice Robinson in NJPW US Champion Tournament - NJPW Long Beach Night 1
07/01 | Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii in NJPW US Champion Tournament - NJPW Long Beach Night 1
07/02 | Kenny Omega vs Jay Lethal in NJPW US Champion Tournament Semi-Final - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/02 | Zack Sabre Jr vs Tomohiro Ishii in NJPW US Champion Tournament Semi-Final - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/02 | The Young Bucks (C) vs Roppongi Vice for the IWGP Junior Tag Team Championship - NJPW Long Beach Night 2
07/09 | Sheamus & Cesaro (C) vs The Hardyz Iron Man match for the Tag Team Titles - WWE Great Balls of Fire
07/09 | Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman in an Ambulance Match - WWE Great Balls of Fire
07/09 | Brock Lesnar (C) vs Samoa Joe for the Universal Championship - WWE Great Balls of Fire
07/17 | Yugi Nagata vs Yoshi-Hashi - G1 Climax Night 1
07/17 | Hirooki Goto vs Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 1
07/17 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr - G1 Climax Night 1
07/20 | SANADA vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 2
07/20 | Kenny Omega vs Minoru Suzuki - G1 Climax Night 2
07/21 | Tetsuya Naito vs YOSHI-HASHI - G1 Climax Night 3
07/21 | Yugi Nagata vs Hirooki Goto - G1 Climax Night 3
07/21 | Togi Makabe vs. Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 3
07/23 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata - G1 Climax Night 5
07/23 | Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax Night 5
07/23 | Shingo Takagi/Takashi Yoshida/El Lindaman vs Jimmy Susumu/Ryo "Jimmy" Saito/Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee!!Mee!! in the Open the Triangle Gate #1 Contender Tournament Finals- Dragon Gate Kobe World
07/23 | Usos (C) vs The New Day for the Tag Team Titles - WWE Battleground
07/25 | Kenny Omega vs Toru Yano - G1 Climax Night 6
07/25 | Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA - G1 Climax Night 6
07/25 | Kevin Owens (C) vs AJ Styles vs Chris Jericho for the WWE United States Championship - Smackdown
07/27 | Kazuchika Okada vs Satoshi Kojima - G1 Climax Night 8
07/30 | Kazuchika Okada vs Juice Robinson - G1 Climax Night 10
07/30 | Michael Elgin vs SANADA - G1 Climax Night 10

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Venomous posted:

nth this one. I don't think Cena/Nakamura was quite there, but Gable/Rusev was a drat fine match that, in my opinion, got both guys over. Gable could've waited a few more seconds before tapping but what are ya gonna do?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kenny Omega vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 12

Man Kenny Omega is good. EVIL is too, but man Kenny is good!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Kenny Omega vs EVIL - G1 Climax Night 12

Man Kenny Omega is good. EVIL is too, but man Kenny is good!

agreed but I am very worried about EVIL

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

oatgan posted:

I guess I personally felt like cena/nakamura was barely anything but a promising look at a bigger match somewhere down the line. Half commercial break, half finishing stretch, and the right guy went over

I agree with the Oatman.

It really did make me want to see how Cena would have done in a G-1 though.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

motyc: toru yano v michael elgin - g1 climax night 12

Takuan
May 6, 2007

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs EVIL, G1 Climax Night 12

I thought it was one of the best matches of the tournament so far.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Seeing as this is the Match Recommendation Thread, my personal favorite match of last year and probably the single best match I've ever witnessed with my own eyes was finally uploaded to YouTube (they wanted to make a DVD of the event but I guess that's not happening) and I just REALLY want to recommend people watch it if you have the time:

Valentine (c) vs King Kong Karhula, Talvisota X, 2016

https://youtu.be/Lzqmnz7tYo8

theminx
Jun 7, 2007
I has a bucket.

Takuan posted:

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs EVIL, G1 Climax Night 12

I thought it was one of the best matches of the tournament so far.

2nd EVIL showed me something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM : Kenny Omega vs Evil

God drat I hope Evil is Okay (Dave said he was okay)

• Locked thread