Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Fun fact: Blood can't be bought or sold in the US. Plasma can, and if you have surgery they can charge you for the materials and the labor needed to pump blood into you, but the red cells themselves are priceless.

Donate blood.

Right. I assumed they meant plasma since that's what all my poor friends have done for extra cash, but perhaps that guy is selling his actual blood illegally to somebody who's using it for nefarious purposes. Spoooooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The episode can be redeemed if events tie together with later episodes. The original show had some terrible no good episodes in it so not everything can be episode 8 all the time.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Still think that picture might be a goomba

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Can someone remind me exactly what happened to dougie as he disintegrated? Didn't he briefly become a smoldering black ball? I have no means of watching that scene right now.

As in, similar to the one (made by filming a match head) in David Lynch's project Rabbits.
And if Dougie did wind up being banished there, then he'd be "the man in the green coat."

Who showed up outside the door of Jack Rabbit's apartment....
Aren't many of Lynch's movies supposed to take place in the same world or multiverse? (Not that he's the kind of person who'd give a poo poo about that. Even for just Twin Peaks he delegated any "EU" stuff to Frost.)

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
He turns to smoke and a little golden ball. After that Mike has a vision of The Arm's doppelganger (that's the smoldering ball) spitting out the golden ball, so we see how Dougie was manufactured, much like mother spitting out Bob. That's how I see it anyway.

e: looking at it again, the smoldering thing doesn't really look enough like the Arm. But I still think that is to be taken as a vision, of something creating Dougie.

e the second: There are two versions of the black thing shown, one of them could easily have been made from a match head, if that's what you're asking.

quadpus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 1, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

More frustrating is that by having the Blue Rose team neglect to look into the oddity from the Major's corpse, Dougie's wedding band, it paints them as incompetent and Cole as being more interested in entertaining himself than solving the case.

lol, what?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are so many things that really it's totally silly people in the show haven't followed up on by now. Realistically Twin Peaks should have entered Cole or Albert's mind at some point already.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think it's been that long

And obviously they have to relate it to twin peaks, even if they haven't gone there yet

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The wedding band thing is really bothering me because it seems like it was put in for no reason other than to serve as a connecting point for the Dougie and FBI storylines... and then they just haven't even spoken about it outside of the two scenes where it's been mentioned, both of which took place in the morgue. I really don't get it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

The wedding band thing is really bothering me because it seems like it was put in for no reason other than to serve as a connecting point for the Dougie and FBI storylines... and then they just haven't even spoken about it outside of the two scenes where it's been mentioned, both of which took place in the morgue. I really don't get it.

I'm not sure how that wedding ring would help, though. They could maybe try to find a married couple going by Dougie and Janey-E, but I'm not even sure whether those are their nicknames or their real names.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Also Dougie has no public record and possibly the same for Janey-E

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And More posted:

I'm not sure how that wedding ring would help, though. They could maybe try to find a married couple going by Dougie and Janey-E, but I'm not even sure whether those are their nicknames or their real names.

It still hasn't been mentioned a single time outside of those two scenes even though it's their only lead relating to major briggs' corpse

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They're blatantly setting it up with the texts between Diane and Evil Coop in this episode at least.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

It still hasn't been mentioned a single time outside of those two scenes even though it's their only lead relating to major briggs' corpse

The show really doesn't want to focus on the investigation too much. I think they're going to look into the ring when it can lead to plot development.

Escobarbarian posted:

They're blatantly setting it up with the texts between Diane and Evil Coop in this episode at least.

Yeah, maybe they can narrow it down now that they know that the ring is from Vegas. Particularly since Dougie is a local hero.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I think if any law enforcement team is going to connect anything it'll be the most incompetent one, the Fuscos.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We still haven't found out what happens when they run Dougie's prints.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

And More posted:

The show really doesn't want to focus on the investigation too much. I think they're going to look into the ring when it can lead to plot development.
It kinda bugs me that instead of showing the investigation, they just do these big spoken exposition dumps. I thought the William Hastings stuff was the most egregious (not the Hastings interview, Det. Mackley telling the FBI about his blog/secretary/family etc).

The Duncan Todd/Anthony exposition was also awful. "So Anthony, do you recall my business rivals and bitter enemies the Mitchum brothers? The ones we conspired to deny their insurance policy?"

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 1, 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Escobarbarian posted:

We still haven't found out what happens when they run Dougie's prints.

Yeah, I think they'll connect the dots when a print search shows a match for Dale Cooper but has the name Dougie on the paperwork.

I don't think they've been too slow to follow up on leads. Their inducting Tammy into the Blue Rose task force seems to happen the night of their visit to the vortex (Edit: which is only the day after seeing the Major's body and hearing about the ring.) I think right now they're focusing on the weird stuff that is right around them related to the body. Major Briggs was assumed dead for 25 years and the body was found in South Dakota, I don't think they'd immediate make a leap of logic to Twin Peaks.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Poor Kyle, I wonder how many takes that took

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm all about this. Though it's totally a "Dodge Game of Thrones" move.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm so ready for timeslot bullshit and weekly schedules to finally die

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm so ready for timeslot bullshit and weekly schedules to finally die

I don't get how there's still a concept of primetime. Work and life schedules mean I dvr positively everything anyway and when it's all clustered at 8 to 10 pm they're just forcing me to pick which shows I won't watch since my dvr only does 3 shows at once.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sporting events are the only things I've watched live in years and years. Hell, even Twin Peaks that I haven't not watched the day of is usually ~30 or so minutes after it would be "airing" if I wasn't watching it on Showtime streaming.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

tap my mountain posted:

Poor Kyle, I wonder how many takes that took

https://twitter.com/kyle_maclachlan/status/892229919106838528

Whatever that means

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
He experienced the gently caress outta that baseball

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/892546639239331841

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The only thing I watch live is wrestling and it was worth it tonight for Fashion Peaks.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

cis autodrag posted:

I don't get how there's still a concept of primetime. Work and life schedules mean I dvr positively everything anyway and when it's all clustered at 8 to 10 pm they're just forcing me to pick which shows I won't watch since my dvr only does 3 shows at once.
Because the TV industry is ruled by out of touch old men who can't die soon enough?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I didn't think the warden assassination was a waste of time if only because of his small child witnessing it and calling out to his dead father.

It was poignant given Ben's sentimental reflection on his own father and Richard's lack of one, and it also gave the Dougie baseball comedy scene a bit more meaning since Dougie in a weird way is literally an "absent father", physically present and being part of Sonny Jim's formative years but actually not *really* there. Sonny Jim doesn't seem phased by the fact that he has to drag his father out to the backyard to play catch, and its funny, but probably sad from the kid's perspective that Dougie aint playing ball.

The abusive father is obviously a major theme in the original series, and absence is an often intentional, sometimes unintentional, form of abuse. I think the whole third season is preoccupied with this idea, as we've seen a few fatherless children.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think the warden hit was largely there to give characterization to the heinous hick murderers. The timing on the kid yelling at his dad's dead body, followed by the gunman going "Next stop, Wendy's" really casually was almost hilarious.

These people are going to attempt to kill Dougie next, so it's possibly important that we know how lovely they are when they get electrocuted by a sentient telephone pole, or whatever is gonna stop the next assassination attempt.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

crowoutofcontext posted:

I didn't think the warden assassination was a waste of time if only because of his small child witnessing it and calling out to his dead father.

It was poignant given Ben's sentimental reflection on his own father and Richard's lack of one, and it also gave the Dougie baseball comedy scene a bit more meaning since Dougie in a weird way is literally an "absent father", physically present and being part of Sonny Jim's formative years but actually not *really* there. Sonny Jim doesn't seem phased by the fact that he has to drag his father out to the backyard to play catch, and its funny, but probably sad from the kid's perspective that Dougie aint playing ball.

The abusive father is obviously a major theme in the original series, and absence is an often intentional, sometimes unintentional, form of abuse. I think the whole third season is preoccupied with this idea, as we've seen a few fatherless children.
Yeah, combine that with the only clue we have about the fleshy alien/creature: "mother."
BOB didn't have a father, either.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, combine that with the only clue we have about the fleshy alien/creature: "mother."

🤔

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

cis autodrag posted:

It's basically HBO and other cable operators hanging onto the last vestiges of television which is doubly annoying in Australia since we get the short end of the stick with this poo poo a lot. That being said, I'm enjoying having this, GoT and the rest of the poo poo I like on streaming services since I just get home at 8pm or whatever and cook my dinner, then watch TV when I am good and ready.

On the topic of Australia, it would be poo poo for our industry, but I'd like to see some kind of global agreements for HBO now and that sort of thing since our local operators are presently dog poo poo. I don't pirate any media and get super angry about people doing it, but sometimes there are US shows that get bought by our sole cable network and you're up for quite a bit of cash just to watch one show. Like I am currently subscribing to Netflix, but I also need a service called Stan for Twin Peaks and Foxtel for GoT (which will get canned once the season ends, but I'll have spent the equivalent of buying it on bluray by then).

E: Getting HBO now agreements here might also mean we can get them to chip in for some local content or co-productions which would actually be sweet for the Aus industry because we don't have any money. Netflix have started doing a bit of this and it looks like being a decent outcome from a funding a distribution standpoint.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cicadalek posted:

I think the warden hit was largely there to give characterization to the heinous hick murderers. The timing on the kid yelling at his dad's dead body, followed by the gunman going "Next stop, Wendy's" really casually was almost hilarious.

These people are going to attempt to kill Dougie next, so it's possibly important that we know how lovely they are when they get electrocuted by a sentient telephone pole, or whatever is gonna stop the next assassination attempt.

Yeah I was thinking this, plus it establishes the next threat Dougie will face. Dougie was able to beat Ike the Spike, but Ike was the complete opposite: he was passionate, insane, and got his hands dirty. These guys are dispassionate, collected, and do their work safely from a distance.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Does Cooper count as BOB'S retroactive father because BOB was in his, umm, womb?? It would kind of make sense that BOB is this weird, paradoxical cosmic incest demon because;

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah I was thinking this, plus it establishes the next threat Dougie will face. Dougie was able to beat Ike the Spike, but Ike was the complete opposite: he was passionate, insane, and got his hands dirty. These guys are dispassionate, collected, and do their work safely from a distance.

Dougie's dick coworker, Anthony, whose in cahoots with the Vegas CEO was also told that he would have to kill Mr.Jones personally if the Mitchum brothers didn't.

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 2, 2017

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
JBP, maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but how exactly do you think it works in the US? Most shows can't be obtained from one source. It works exactly the same here as how you've described it working in Australia. It can be expensive as hell.

...! fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 2, 2017

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

tap my mountain posted:

I think if any law enforcement team is going to connect anything it'll be the most incompetent one, the Fuscos.

The Fusco bros actually seem pretty competent. That coffee mug with Cooper's prints is going to come back in style going to lead somewhere.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Polo-Rican posted:

Funny thing is that the first hitmen were the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

...! posted:

JBP, maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but how exactly do you think it works in the US? Most shows can't be obtained from one source. It works exactly the same here as how you've described it working in Australia. It can be expensive as hell.

Yeah I don't doubt that at all, it's more that the quality of distribution is poor thanks to our local operators. It's basically terrible because HBO, AMC etc sell to Foxtel (our cable provider) who have only recently built a streaming service and it sucks. Before the streaming service you either paid $70 for HD cable on a contract (which goes in the gently caress off pile) and loads of people would pirate shows because they weren't distributed in a timely manner or simply couldn't access them.

As I said I don't mind paying for content even if it's across services, I'd just like to get some direct American streaming services (without having to go down the VPN route). On the back of that I'd hope that it meant we could hit them up for a little local content funding since we have a heap of great shows that never get made and an abundance of unwatchable suburban mum and dad poo poo that gets made for free to air.

I'll admit some of this has become way better recently, but we still miss out on things because our distribution is a bloated mess. I don't know if that's clear. I just want to watch the TV I like on a reliable service and pay money for the privilege (within reason).

E: I don't want to turn this nice thread into a big complaints session or one up the OP talking about airing times. I wish we could all just stream cool and good TV easily then come on here and tell one another how poo poo every single episode was.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 2, 2017