Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varlock
Aug 15, 2001
This is my tracker. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My tracker is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. This tracker is amazing, just like I am amazing.
I've heard that the next KDTW STARS are going to be Top Gun themed.

The Ferret King posted:

Goon ATC is everywhere

Mhm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Personally my favorite SIDS/STARS are the FYTTE4 into Chicago (not a Blackhawks fan though) and that departure of Denver with the beer themed fixes (COORZ2 or something like that?)

Also seconding aero goonmeets, I ran into Kodiak a couple years ago during a longer sit in Chicago. If nothing else a LinkedIn/slack group would be a good networking idea for those of us that get further into the industry and want to help each other out.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CBJSprague24 posted:

One of our instructors, who spoke with a very faint Southeastern Ohio twang, insisted on saying a heavily drawled "Annnnnd Deeepahchuhhhh" like you hear guys in ATL say when checking in.

You talking NAVAIDs/waypoints?

I'm surprised nobody in Columbus has made either OSU or CBJ-themed waypoints. Some of the fixes on the way into PIT are chock full of drat dirty Penguins references.

I'll bet he's referring to a reality show about purchasing real estate in Waco. It's on HGTV or something and it has brought more positive attention to that lovely city than it deserves.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Look, we get it, nice homes are cheap in Waco. That's because Waco sucks and is full of rapists and nobody wants to live there.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Somebody create the slack group. I downloaded the app.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

:gbsmith:

The captain that narrates the first bit of that, I can't recall his name, he was a genuine first-rate-duder. My favorite flight-crew in the entire airline.

Did you catch the tail number in the video? The last time I saw it was 2008.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNNnt25y2e4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8kDHzO3WJ8

This is one of the better videos JustPlanes did. The captain in the left seat was Steve Ricks. The one in the right seat (Italian guy; there was no F/O on the trip) was Chris something.

N606GC.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Rolo posted:

On long flights I see how many controllers I can get to say "seeya" in the same obnoxious way I do when I go to switch channels. Sometimes they'll really get into it and it makes me happy.

soyya

Dude, you too? I take immense pleasure in obnoxious see ya's. the best see ya's come from Air Force controllers. those guys straight loving shout it into the mic

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is one of the better videos JustPlanes did. The captain in the left seat was Steve Ricks. The one in the right seat (Italian guy; there was no F/O on the trip) was Chris something.

N606GC.

Ya, not Steve Ricks; gently caress that guy. Chris is amazing.

606 was one of our ex-Lufthansa airplanes. It was a relatively tame airplane, and didn't have any of the really weird issues that say, 607 or 602 had. 606 spent most of its time in Europe on DHL contracts to Africa for that reason: You don't want to be broken in Lagos.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Ya, not Steve Ricks; gently caress that guy. Chris is amazing.

606 was one of our ex-Lufthansa airplanes. It was a relatively tame airplane, and didn't have any of the really weird issues that say, 607 or 602 had. 606 spent most of its time in Europe on DHL contracts to Africa for that reason: You don't want to be broken in Lagos.

It's so weird to think that, at every level of aviation, there's always That Plane that has weird loving issues and you just don't like flying.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

It's so weird to think that, at every level of aviation, there's always That Plane that has weird loving issues and you just don't like flying.

WHY CAN'T I CLOSE THE DOOR ON 691? :negative:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

There are certain planes that just don't like flying, even. They just break. Every. loving. Time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bob A Feet posted:

Dude, you too? I take immense pleasure in obnoxious see ya's. the best see ya's come from Air Force controllers. those guys straight loving shout it into the mic

Haha my dude :respek:

Once they start doing it back it becomes so satisfying.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I'll do a goo meet. I think Ferret and I said we talked when I was doing survey work around CRP

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

You guys New York based? I'm spending way too much time there on layovers. Goon meet NYC?

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 20, 2019

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Just remembered something wrt. aviation's "small world" and this thread... Some years ago (5+) someone posted a pic from the inside of a T-34 flying around Socal. I guessed what the plane is, but the poster thought there was too little detail in the pic to reveal that, and insisted that I was someone who knew them/the airplane from real life but was playing dumb and would not reveal my identity. After some back and forth they started getting frustrated that I was some stalker that wouldn't come clean, and it was pretty funny. Nope, just an airplane ultra-nerd!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

AWSEFT posted:

You guys New York based? I'm spending way too much time there. Goon meet NYC?

Based there but don't live there. And my home commitments are too heavy to stay out there just to hang out :( Plus as of last night's vacancy award, I'll be based in DTW soon.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Current engine status.

Reassembly begins next week.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

vessbot posted:

Based there but don't live there. And my home commitments are too heavy to stay out there just to hang out :( Plus as of last night's vacancy award, I'll be based in DTW soon.

No pilot WANTS to live in the shithole of EWR/LGA/JFK/HPN but EVERYONE is based there.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 20, 2019

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Had my discovery flight in the 173! It was awesome, I did get pretty airsick though due to the up/down movement while over land. Have to figure out a way to get over that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Michael Scott posted:

Had my discovery flight in the 173! It was awesome, I did get pretty airsick though due to the up/down movement while over land. Have to figure out a way to get over that.

It will probably go away the more you fly and get used to it. To start, try to fly early in the morning if you can, it will tend to be less bumpy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Michael Scott posted:

I hated flying. The bumps, heights, all of it. So I took an intro flight because my relative was a CFI and offered.

Long story short, it's my job now.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

To start, try to fly early in the morning if you can, it will tend to be less bumpy.

And less hot. I think flying in South Texas for four years soured me on airplanes forever.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Also flying at night owns bones. Less wind, less bumps, less people, and if you're near a major metro area you can get some great sight seeing in.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

No pilot WANTS to live in the shithole of EWR/LGA/JFK/HPN but EVERYONE is based there. We need to set up a goon meet (I'm not flying to DTW again unless I have to).

Uhh... I'm the weirdo who lives in Brooklyn cause I love it, yet work for an airline that allowed me to live wherever I want.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Animal posted:

Uhh... I'm the weirdo who lives in Brooklyn cause I love it, yet work for an airline that allowed me to live wherever I want.

Hey Animal, seen you around SA and didn't realize you were a pilot. How did you get your start?

Thanks for the info guys, I am excited to schedule my next real lesson and open my wallet wide!

If anyone is ever around ORD/MDW/PWK with a rental or whatever for fun let me come with :)

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 30, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

I would live in Brooklyn in a heartbeat if I could find someone hiring a low hour corporate Citation guy. I freaking love NYC.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Hey Animal, seen you around SA and didn't realize you were a pilot. How did you get your start?

Thanks for the info guys, I am excited to schedule my next real lesson and open my wallet wide!

If anyone is ever around ORD/MDW/PWK with a rental or whatever for fun let me come with :)

Hey!

I soloed when I was 19, but didn't get into a serious structured program until I was 24 because of a combination of youthful irresponsibility, lovely flight school with rotating door for CFI's, and poverty. I started out in Puerto Rico, but ended up getting all my ratings in an accelerated flightschool in Florida (Sunstate Aviation in Kissimmee.) I feel accelerated flight schools are fantastic for the right person who is self motivated. I also instructed at Sunstate as a CFI. All of my ratings up to CFI ended up costing about $30k. Sadly, I became a commercial pilot right before the recession, so I spent a few years in limbo doing lovely CFI, cargo, charter work in the Caribbean. In 2012 when things got a bit better I ended up at ExpressJet (ASA side flying CRJ's), and from then I moved on to my current job flying Boeing 767. At the moment I am soaking up as much experience as possible flying around the globe and adjusting my mindset to become a 767 captain which will happen in less than a year. Or I can postpone it and wait for the Boeing 747 upgrade which should happen in about two years and change. I have to choose because once you get on the seat you are locked to that seat for three years. After I get some sweet widebody PIC I'll start thinking again about where to move on next.

One of my dreams is to be in a financial situation that will allow me to get back into general aviation to fly for fun, maybe even co-own my own aircraft.

I really, really miss flying Cessnas around just for fun and to eat $100 burgers. Those were the days. I'm jealous of those of you who are flight training or recreational pilots.

Animal fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 31, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The OP needs updated, I'm now officially a commercial pilot!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

PT6A posted:

Congratulations man. Glad you saw it to the finish!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Noooice

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Congratulations man. Glad you saw it to the finish!

Thanks, both for the congratulations and for helping talk me into it in the first place!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

Hot drat. :hfive:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Thanks, both for the congratulations and for helping talk me into it in the first place!

Great job

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pic from my ride this past weekend. Nice maintained 2003 172. To save money I'll be training in a 152, it'll probably be old as heck right? :/ It's no Dreamliner

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I recovered the 30 pounds of charred remains of a 22 year old pilot from a Cessna 206 wreck a couple days ago. Didn't know the guy super well, but he had been a familiar face in the area this year. VFR into IMC in mountainous terrain. Pretty sobering, fly safe folks.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Pic from my ride this past weekend. Nice maintained 2003 172. To save money I'll be training in a 152, it'll probably be old as heck right? :/ It's no Dreamliner

Learn to fly in an aircraft without lots of bells and whistles and save the money on the time. When you get to fly airplanes with nice gadgetry it will be a treat, but not something you feel like you need.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I recovered the 30 pounds of charred remains of a 22 year old pilot from a Cessna 206 wreck a couple days ago. Didn't know the guy super well, but he had been a familiar face in the area this year. VFR into IMC in mountainous terrain. Pretty sobering, fly safe folks.

Where? And only 30lbs? What exactly remained? Not trying to be morbid, but I'm always curious about the state of the people after crashes so I can understand what will happen to me if I gently caress up

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Animal posted:

Where? And only 30lbs? What exactly remained? Not trying to be morbid, but I'm always curious about the state of the people after crashes so I can understand what will happen to me if I gently caress up

http://bfy.tw/DAgX

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ooh boy where is this-

Oh god.

Oh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

West of Lake Clark Pass in southwest Alaska. Guy was hauling a load of freight from Anchorage to a remote site. Weather was low and gray with fog. Looked like he was trying to pick his way through mountains instead of flying out to the foothills and around. Really should have just not flown that morning, most everyone else canceled. Wreck looked like it fell straight down with some yaw rotation. Not sure if he got disoriented in fog and entered a spin he couldn't recover from, saw rising terrain and stalled trying to climb, or what. There wasn't much of a skid mark, debris field was condensed, only one impact mark on a tree trunk, etc. More or less inconsistent with forward velocity above C-206 stall speed. Then again, I'm not the NTSB so that could all be bullshit. It was a pretty tight valley, so he probably didn't have room to 180 once he knew he was somewhere he didn't want to be.

Remains were mostly upper torso and head as far as obviously human shapes go, as well as incomplete skeletal remains of extremities. Cargo was gasoline and lumber, so along with probably half capacity 100LL it was a hell of a fire. We got there on the ground around nine hours after it happened and it was still smoldering. I wasn't in the plane that spotted it on the initial search, but the people who were said the smell was just intensely awful overflying the site.

All in all just a sad deal. Glad it was cargo and not passengers, for whatever that's worth.