Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Micro-transactions are here to stay, forever, because for all the forum posts, yelling and "boycotts" people love that poo poo. They specifically like paying for cosmetic items because it attaches an inherit value to them. Take away the CSGO economy and see how many people give a poo poo about knife skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Awesome - thanks!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

abigserve posted:

Micro-transactions are here to stay, forever, because for all the forum posts, yelling and "boycotts" people love that poo poo. They specifically like paying for cosmetic items because it attaches an inherit value to them. Take away the CSGO economy and see how many people give a poo poo about knife skins.

it's still objectively bad. and i say that as someone who made 400 bucks off dota 2 (but again at least that game is free).

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

TracerBullet posted:

So dumb question time - just upgraded from 8 to 16 GB of RAM. My graphics card is not great (750M) so I've got everything pretty much at minimum, including screen scale, but I do see an improvement in 'smoothness' and playability after making the upgrade. What would be the first graphic tweaks I should start to push up with the added RAM I've installed?

First thing you want to do is set Screen Scale to "100.000000" in the GameUserSettings.ini file. Don't try to set it in-game, the slider is imprecise and even if it reads "100" in the graphics menu, it might actually be set to 100.05 or something, which can throw everything off and make things look worse than they should. Set your Resolution to your monitor's native resolution, and set the Screen Mode to Fullscreen. With your resolution set, you want to try to maximize FPS. If you're looking to make some cuts to visual quality in order to boost FPS, Post Processing, Shadows, Effects, and Foliage can all be set to Very Low (Foliage affects the distance at which grass is rendered, and so should be set to Very Low even if you're computer can handle a higher setting). I like to have Anti-Aliasing turned up (after maximizing my resolution and FPS, it's usually the first thing I turn up), as I find it easier to spot distant players and identify silhouettes, plus some players actually report an FPS boost with AA at higher settings. Texture is the #1 setting that will make the game look More Good, so set it to whatever you're most comfortable with. Set View Distance to Low, or Medium if you can get away with it. Anything past Medium is largely unnecessary. Motion Blur is a personal choice. Most players recommend against it, I don't really notice it's effect.

Not sure about launch options, they may or may not still work. I know "-sm4" definitely doesn't work anymore.

If you have nVidia, use the Control Panel settings in this guide. Setting Threaded Optimization to On can be a huge boost to your FPS.

Also check out ReShade, which can improve visual quality with little to no impact on performance. I used these settings, with a few tweaks (namely turning off Bloom).

Also keep in mind that this game is currently poorly optimized, so even people with serious gaming rigs are getting FPS drops in places. Hopefully performance and optimization will only improve as the game develops.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

abigserve posted:

This. I mean watch idiot streamers get 1000$ donations for playing video games somewhat well

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My brother in his first ever Solo Chicken Dinner somehow accomplished the rarest of Solo Chicken Dinners.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
i find those 0 kill, 0 damage wins so confusing.

on one hand, i'm not sure how you derive any enjoyment from the game if you don't shoot at anyone

on the other hand, no one else could beat him so kudos i guess

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the Coward's Repast must be eaten with a napkin over one's head, to hide the sight from God's eyes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You guys are playing this bush simulator all wrong. He's achieved true enlightenment, a place I someday hope to reach.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

a real chump posted:

on one hand, i'm not sure how you derive any enjoyment from the game if you don't shoot at anyone

If you play super cautiously, it's comically easy to make it to the top 10. Top 5 is harder to break without getting into fights but it's not that difficult either. I think kill should be given a slightly larger portion of a rank increase vs purely how far you made it.

But, chicken dinner with 0 damage is definitely impressive.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

a real chump posted:

Some games I strip naked and play a pacifist round. Can usually last til 30-40 easily, longer if I get a boat or car.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's still objectively bad. and i say that as someone who made 400 bucks off dota 2 (but again at least that game is free).

I think crate/key gambling systems may be the lesser of two evils to be honest, if you look at something like the Battlefield series they release an entirely new (full priced!) game once a year and then still charge for additional maps/DLC during the year. It fucks with the playerbase and there's no opt-out option - you bought battlefield 3, but everyone is paying Karland now? gently caress you, get your wallet out

Compare that to CSGO - regular content updates, game modes, and they throw you a skin every now and again as well. Second biggest game on steam for years at this point.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Reaching top 10 without killing anyone is cool and all. But winning a Chicken Dinner without killing or downing anyone is what seperates the PUBs from the Gs.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

abigserve posted:

I think crate/key gambling systems may be the lesser of two evils to be honest, if you look at something like the Battlefield series they release an entirely new (full priced!) game once a year and then still charge for additional maps/DLC during the year. It fucks with the playerbase and there's no opt-out option - you bought battlefield 3, but everyone is paying Karland now? gently caress you, get your wallet out

Compare that to CSGO - regular content updates, game modes, and they throw you a skin every now and again as well. Second biggest game on steam for years at this point.

I wish people would stop saying gambling-like systems with undisclosed odds are the lesser of two evils. Let people buy the cosmetics they want at a price that offsets you not running a gambling-like system. In a world where online betting gets more or equal ad space to gambling addiction support, it kills me that this poo poo flies under the radar of regulation and normalizes gambling behaviours in kids.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like those gambling systems because it took down one of the most annoying league streamers (who i guess went to cs:go?) the dude looked like wayne static in the 2010s why did he think his hair and beard were acceptable (phantomlord for the curious). he and some other dude ran one of those sites and made videos pretending like they were playing on the sites without any connection to them.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
You forgot the fact that PL and his dudes rigged the rolls, can't leave that out

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Maluco Marinero posted:

I wish people would stop saying gambling-like systems with undisclosed odds are the lesser of two evils. Let people buy the cosmetics they want at a price that offsets you not running a gambling-like system. In a world where online betting gets more or equal ad space to gambling addiction support, it kills me that this poo poo flies under the radar of regulation and normalizes gambling behaviours in kids.

I mean the normal people can always buy things with the Steam Marketplace. I sold the stupid twitch stuff for like seven bucks (because I had already opened it) and got all the cool clothes I wanted and I still have like five bucks and change left over.

e: It's still lovely though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

RizieN posted:

I guess if you can buy better camouflage it'll be a problem and have a certain "pay to win" aspect. But did you see the twitch prime clothes? gently caress man... what a nasty stupid ugly loving thing.

You take that back right loving now.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If you're not a Balaclava Boy then frankly, I don't have time for you.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Watch ChocoTaco and also his youtube vids for pro strats like this
https://clips.twitch.tv/AmorphousResilientTrollPMSTwin

Super rude pro strats

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Cicadalek posted:

If you're not a Balaclava Boy then frankly, I don't have time for you.

It's the first time I've ever regretted not having Twitch Prime.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Is anyone else getting this mouse hitching issue?

https://clips.twitch.tv/StrongTransparentRuffShadyLulu

Happens when I'm moving around in the game, if I'm in the inventory it doesnt seem like a problem.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Pleads posted:

Watch ChocoTaco and also his youtube vids for pro strats like this
https://clips.twitch.tv/AmorphousResilientTrollPMSTwin

Super rude pro strats

Have more choco clips

https://clips.twitch.tv/BetterGrossHorseMoreCowbell

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

even more

https://clips.twitch.tv/DrabFlaccidHamburgerCorgiDerp

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
So what's everyone's favorite sniper?

Mine has to be the M16.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

JoshOG did the same thing in csgo and now he is like top 5 pubg streamers so..

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Dyz posted:

Mine has to be the M16.

Micro Uzi

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Dyz posted:

Mine has to be the M16.

revolver

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Seems like there's try-hards everywhere right about now, even AS.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

First Solo Chicken!

M24 with a silencer, and a gillie suit, I loving murdered a man without him even knowing where I was.

Before that, a man ran right past me before I stood up and full auto'd him with my AK.

Before THAT, a man drove up in his buggy and I full auto'd him from behind the crate I found my free win starter pack in.

Before that I murdered a man on those crate movers in Georgopol with my Kar.

Snippin is fun.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Man this game... Was in a duo with my bro, drop north Georgeopol and get a bad circle. Find us a motorcycle and start looting buildings. Hear footsteps running up on me, start trading shots with a window peeper. He runs over to the bike and screams 'LATER BITCH" before gunning it.

I jump out and start peppering him with my shotgun, ko him on a 3rd, distant shot Bike ghost rides into his teammate RIP

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

fletcher posted:

Micro Uzi

I'm serious. You can tap someone twice in the head with the M16 about as fast as a SR and its better against moving targets.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so, apparently, possibly due to the sight heights on the groza, you can have your gun up and aimed at someone and just shoot a wall. i was wondering how the dude in front of me wasn't getting blasted and then when i crouched i realized the wall in front of me was shot to poo poo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so, apparently, possibly due to the sight heights on the groza, you can have your gun up and aimed at someone and just shoot a wall. i was wondering how the dude in front of me wasn't getting blasted and then when i crouched i realized the wall in front of me was shot to poo poo

That's not just the groza, it can happen with just about any weapon.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i guess i've never really noticed, i've mostly been aggravated when the game will just lower your weapon if you can't make a shot

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i will never understand how i can pump a dude with 20 good silenced AR shots, not get a kill and then have the guy kill me in one shot with an UMP while wearing a lvl 2 helmet and lvl 3 armor at full HP. like, i usually see deaths as a learning experience but i don't legitimately understand what the gently caress happened there unless it was some insane lag and he actually shot me several times and i desperately wish i'd been recording it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ShadowMar posted:

i will never understand how i can pump a dude with 20 good silenced AR shots, not get a kill and then have the guy kill me in one shot with an UMP while wearing a lvl 2 helmet and lvl 3 armor at full HP. like, i usually see deaths as a learning experience but i don't legitimately understand what the gently caress happened there unless it was some insane lag and he actually shot me several times and i desperately wish i'd been recording it.

yea just enable shadowplay all the time

spoilers: you missed

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The kar98k doesn't seem to do much more damage than the semi-auto rifles

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

hawowanlawow posted:

The guides available on steam put the k98 as having higher damage than the SKS, which has higher damage than any of the assault rifles.

Incidentally having a silenced sniper is about the most fun you can have in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

Shoot heads only with kar

• Locked thread