Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

It feels like something about this has to be illegal but damned if I can articulate what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prester Jane posted:

I would be very interested if someone with knowledge would do a write up about that because it was amazing to spectate. I forget the details but didn't one of D&D's most notorious Libertarians wind up as the leader of GoonWaffe only to run it into the ground with idiotic Libertarian "free trade zone" nonsense before stealing a a nearly crippling amount of assets and selling them on IGE? I'm vague on the details but it would be fascinating to read about the interactions between Libertarianism failing in GooonWaffe and how that impacted the forums.

You can find detailed summaries by looking on themittani.com if that website is still around (or just google his articles) but the short version is that Eve's game design had a few core (relevant) principles:

1) Characters advanced by calendar time, rather than experience points, with no functional cap on how experienced you could be; the effect of this was that only people who had been playing for years could pilot the best ships

but

2) Swarms of small, cheap, disposable ships were an effective counter to experienced players in big endgame ships (especially if there were a few veterans in big ships on their side too),

3) most of the game was free and open no-rules, no-safety-net PVP, and

4) there was only one server, and everyone played in it

The one-paragraph summary of what happened:

Before the goons invaded, most of the Eve universe was therefore dominated by long-term vets who took Eve Very Seriously and had been playing forever. A few of the more right-wing anarchocapitalist goons from then-D&D (Remedial being most prominent among them) got the bright idea to do heavy recruitment on SA and use that recruitment to simply out-number the veteran players . They billed it as Space Libertarianism but in practice it was heavily subsidized -- the new players got free disposable ships paid for by the few vets, then everyone's income got taxed to subsidize more newbies, senior goons wrote up detailed internal guides that were better than anything publicly available, etc. Once the strategy got rolling it worked better than *anyone* had expected; eventually the dominating veterans decided to try to push SA out of the Eve universe but it didn't work, for a lot of reasons (mostly that they were outnumbered 100 to 1 and goons had a unifying identity outside the game so could just stop playing and come back later) and eventually goons just took over the game universe; after that they broke apart in internal drama, stupidity, and betrayal (some of it truly bizarre and amazing).

In other words, nominally libertarian goons basically executed a communist revolution in space libertopia and overthrew the 1% with a swarming proletariat strategy, and then the revolution collapsed in internal cross-betrayals, as is typical.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 2, 2017

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder, as governor , Perry said to pray for rain to end the drought and got fire.

I thought this was a politician from Georgia.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

What was the recent tweet that made wikileaks partisan hackery really apparent? I don't remember what the subject was to find it again.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/892519402284908544

https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/892591492883111936

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Doctor Butts posted:

The pushback against Libertarians started happening in D&D closer to the early Bush presidency. They were all gone by the election of Obama.

Sure, this is hyperbole, but just about every post that wasn't in line with how libertarians there thought would be met with something like this:

A note:

"this is a GOOD THING" was said verbatim hundreds of times to describe this poo poo.

Wasn't CE created in the early Bush presidency?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

What was the recent tweet that made wikileaks partisan hackery really apparent? I don't remember what the subject was to find it again.

The one about Mueller delivering uranium to Russia? That one tried to paint it as some shady, backdoor deal when it was delivered specifically as evidence in a bilateral investigation.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
How long ago did we learn that Trump personally gave Jr instructions to say the Russia meeting was about adoptions? Was that today or yesterday or a week ago I loving forget

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can find detailed summaries by looking on themittani.com if that website is still around (or just google his articles) but the short version is that Eve's game design had a few core (relevant) principles:

1) Characters advanced by calendar time, rather than experience points, with no functional cap on how experienced you could be; the effect of this was that only people who had been playing for years could pilot the best ships

but

2) Swarms of small, cheap, disposable ships were an effective counter to experienced players in big endgame ships (especially if there were a few veterans in big ships on their side too),

3) most of the game was free and open no-rules, no-safety-net PVP, and

4) there was only one server, and everyone played in it

The one-paragraph summary of what happened:

Before the goons invaded, most of the Eve universe was therefore dominated by long-term vets who took Eve Very Seriously and had been playing forever. A few of the more right-wing anarchocapitalist goons from then-D&D (Remedial being most prominent among them) got the bright idea to do heavy recruitment on SA and use that recruitment to simply out-number the veteran players . They billed it as Space Libertarianism but in practice it was heavily subsidized -- the new players got free disposable ships paid for by the few vets, then everyone's income got taxed to subsidize more newbies, senior goons wrote up detailed internal guides that were better than anything publicly available, etc. Once the strategy got rolling it worked better than *anyone* had expected; eventually the dominating veterans decided to try to push SA out of the Eve universe but it didn't work, for a lot of reasons (mostly that they were outnumbered 100 to 1 and goons had a unifying identity outside the game so could just stop playing and come back later) and eventually goons just took over the game universe; after that they broke apart in internal drama, stupidity, and betrayal (some of it truly bizarre and amazing).

In other words, nominally libertarian goons basically executed a communist revolution in space libertopia and overthrew the 1% with a swarming proletariat strategy.

Libertarianism in motion often leads to discovering why libertarianism doesn't work in real time. We all saw this with Bitcoin, where technolibertarians obsessed with the future of math-based currency discovered the necessity for essentially every advance in banking and economics since the medieval vaults full of gold.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

Your entire post was fantastic and provided I think an excellent counterview to my own, but I wanted to add that this part right here hit me. In retrospect HidingFromGoro had much the same effect on my own developing views about the world. That man did a lot of good with his posting, I've no idea whats become of him but I do wish him godspeed.

Not a total counterpoint. You originally helped me realize that at least in part the alt-right isn't on its own some huge movement. It's just the biggest movement due to an almost total lack of other movements.

It's really the only pool of talent that Trump can draw from and that pool is stagnant. That and the military, but they're forced to because he's commander in chief. Not even normal republicans will touch him anymore, and there still exists a small but dedicated core of thinkers and strategists within the party and without. However since they don't reflect his world view their ideas are largely going to rot on the vine because as regressive or awful as they are, they'd be effective, and that's not where Trump is right now.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I dunno. I might have my timing wrong. Admittedly, it could be hazy because I went through some viewpoint changes early in the Bush presidency, and it just seemed like the rest of the board followed suit.

For me, I had always been liberal. However, I was willing to believe that although Bush was a dumb bad President, there was still competency and decency somewhere in the administration. So, I thought toughening up against Iraq was a good idea- even to the brink of attack.

But, that all changed when Powell went before the U.N. and gave the loudest wettest fart of a case before the world on why we have to intervene in Iraq.

It all snowballed from there.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Flake has directly and repeatedly helped add to that deficit. gently caress him and his attempt to cast himself in any sort of sympathetic light. Until he starts voting against Trump nominees and actually makes a meaningful effort to hold the administration accountable he's doing nothing more than McCain's Maverick act. And at least McCain voted against the skinny repeal. Flake's a piece of poo poo who doesn't pretend to be anything but a party loyalist.

Yeah, Flake could have proven his commitment to principle over party by voting against the poo poo GOP "skinny repeal" bill last week. Instead, he caved.

You mean the one attacking Meuller?

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/864994472492453888?lang=en

Of course, it turns out Assange just happened to leave out some pretty important context:

https://twitter.com/stealthygeek/status/891666846071566338

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I mean, is this what a soft coup feels like? Like, we have 2 crazyish generals who are now at the heart of the admin and basically tell him what to do (when he feels like listening)

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
If the media starts pushing the narrative that Kelly has to babysit Trump then I don't think Kelly's gonna last as chief of staff for very long

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
In Sci fi movies there's always that gruff general who wants to use the nukes on the aliens asap and we have two live ones in the white house

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

If the media starts pushing the narrative that Kelly has to babysit Trump then I don't think Kelly's gonna last as chief of staff for very long

More or less than 10 days?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blitz7x posted:

In Sci fi movies there's always that gruff general who wants to use the nukes on the aliens asap and we have two live ones in the white house

And the crazy part is they're considered the adults in the room.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Prester Jane posted:

The LF hardcore split off and are (I believe) still in existence as some sort of wierd cultish group that unironically believes in full communisn now. (I really don't care enough to look, but that was essentially their fate as of ~5 years or so ago).

Did they end up in the UK Megathread?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Casey Finnigan posted:

Counterpoint, who's going to fire him/force him to resign? Trump hasn't made an in-person firing yet, and I can't think of anyone with enough backbone now that the bone-itis guy is gone.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Illuminti posted:

Did they end up in the UK Megathread?

The rhizzone

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Triskelli posted:

Counterpoint, who's going to fire him/force him to resign? Trump hasn't made an in-person firing yet, and I can't think of anyone with enough backbone now that the bone-itis guy is gone.

The next chief of staff will. That's how Trump works for he's a whiny toddler.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Triskelli posted:

Trump might do what he did with Comey and force his private bodyguard to hand Kelly the pink slip.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Doctor Butts posted:

I dunno. I might have my timing wrong. Admittedly, it could be hazy because I went through some viewpoint changes early in the Bush presidency, and it just seemed like the rest of the board followed suit.

For me, I had always been liberal. However, I was willing to believe that although Bush was a dumb bad President, there was still competency and decency somewhere in the administration. So, I thought toughening up against Iraq was a good idea- even to the brink of attack.

But, that all changed when Powell went before the U.N. and gave the loudest wettest fart of a case before the world on why we have to intervene in Iraq.

I was a dumbfuck libertarian. My excuse is that I was a teenager.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Petr posted:

I was a dumbfuck libertarian. My excuse is that I was a teenager.

We all carry sin to atone from.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure all these people resigned.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It feels like something about this has to be illegal but damned if I can articulate what.
Well... sort of? Maybe?

The Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act was passed in late December of last year. Hmm, I wonder what could have been transpiring last year that would have prompted such a thing? The State Department is in charge of this, so I'm sure they'll get right on that... oh wait, the entire State Department was just conveniently switched-off... so I guess not.

empty whippet box posted:

It is really unsettling to see trump's features on faces. His or anyone else's.
She's Donald's Daughter-in-law, so she's only related by marriage.
... hopefully.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 2, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Casey Finnigan posted:

Jared and Ivanka's true power lies in their absolute refusal to coral Donald and to stay under the press radar. The only stories about them are tut-tuting about how they're not moderating Trump, breaking the imagined promise people dreamed into existence in order to feel OK enough to sleep at night.

Triskelli posted:

Trump will cut Kelly out of the loop and try to publicly shame him into quitting. The only real question is whether or not Kelly will be the first administration blood sacrifice to fight back instead of profusely thanking Trump and asking for another until the day they find themselves alone in an SUV being driven down a rainy tarmac.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder, as governor , Perry said to pray for rain to end the drought and got fire.

And not just a little fire here and there either, lots of poo poo went up in flames.

2011 Texas Wildfire Season

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

And the crazy part is they're considered the adults in the room.

Only Adult Left In Trump Administration Named ‘Mad Dog’

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

This is old, but there's nothing wrong with these planes. They're just white tails - newly built but the original buying didn't take them so they've been preserved until someone else bought them.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

The one about Mueller delivering uranium to Russia? That one tried to paint it as some shady, backdoor deal when it was delivered specifically as evidence in a bilateral investigation.

DaveWoo posted:

You mean the one attacking Meuller?

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/864994472492453888?lang=en

Of course, it turns out Assange just happened to leave out some pretty important context:

https://twitter.com/stealthygeek/status/891666846071566338

Yup. Thank you both.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
edit: Sorry, post/edit mixup.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Sixth in line and an independent. I'll take him.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I brought up the wikileaks partisan hackery thing because they decide to post this today

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/892510925244203008

and I had to explain to a friend what fucks they are.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Happy impeachment page!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

empty whippet box posted:

It is really unsettling to see trump's features on faces. His or anyone else's.

Holy poo poo you are loving dumb. Did you even read the drat tweet before posting this or was 140 characters too much for you?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Petr posted:

Wasn't CE created in the early Bush presidency?

Yes, right after 9/11.

Doctor Butts posted:

Yeah, I was fairly liberal but gave the Bush admin an excessive benefit of the doubt. I was mostly resigned to them attacking Iraq regardless of protests, but I also remembered Desert Shield/Storm and thought planes blowing poo poo up was cool. That's still the case in dumb movies & TV shows, but I've been sickened by our body count since then.

The biggest thing I remember that drove D&D to a more liberal bend was the fact that discourse was held to a higher standard here. You couldn't get away with making fantastical claims without sources. As Colbert or Stewart said "reality has a liberal bias".

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Yup. Thank you both.

Standard Assange. Look at his e-mail and vault 7 dumps. They basically spam the internet with excerpts that are posted with no context that promotes their narrative. Their followers don't bother to read the whole dump and quickly jumps to whatever conclusion that JA primed them with. The crazy thing about this whole information war game going on right now is that the attacks are largely asymmetrical. By that I am mostly talking in the form of widespread mass propaganda campaigns. What happens when it becomes symmetrical? I know that open societies are far more vulnerable in this regard. Is it possible for an open society to engage in this type of warfare and still remain an open society? Or do they simply gradually end up becoming a less open society in their attempts to combat the less open society?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/892405131467038720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am genuinely curious how much Chuck Tingle makes from his art annually.

• Locked thread