Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The first hitmen seemed to call it a day after they found the house empty and put a bomb on the car but I guess Evil Cooper didn't want to give too much information about Dougie's workplace/location so they wouldn't gently caress up and kill him before the electric socket body switch.

I think Cooper's way of thwarting enemies is becoming more humane and sophisticated: blind chance, physical defense, cherry pie gift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
If BadCoop put Dougie's ring in Briggs' corpse, and is communicating with Diane about whether or not Gordon and Albert have caught on, what is his endgame with that? Is he trying to get Gordon and Albert back together with Dougie and at the same time trying to have him assassinated? Or is someone else behind that whole bit?

I think that points to Diane texting with somebody else. I remember that the first text that Diane received that appeared to be from BadCoop was different case from the sent message (one was all caps, the other not) and that makes me think that Diane making her latest text all caps is a clue to the audience that the first text she got wasn't from BadCoop, but resent to her from someone else as a message to her about some secret task they're in on. I'll guess Jefferies, just because he seems to be involved with all of this off-screen but with very nebulous motives.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can someone post that really good edit of The Nine Inch Nails singing James' song, tia

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Can someone post that really good edit of The Nine Inch Nails singing James' song, tia

What!? Yes please seconded!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1528224180819917/permalink/1703576089951391/

Trent was always cool.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

I was hoping it would be much longer than that, but it was still amazing and very well done.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, combine that with the only clue we have about the fleshy alien/creature: "mother."
BOB didn't have a father, either.

Robertson... son of Robert (Oppenheimer)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DevCore posted:

What is the time code for this scene?

Ita during the warden getting shot scene, its above his house. Dunno the exact time code tho.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Vikar Jerome posted:

oh poo poo, the ending for part 18 got leaked! watch at your own risk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMuScOv79fc

Pages ago but how can they not slip "Hugh Manturd" into the credits?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Ita during the warden getting shot scene, its above his house. Dunno the exact time code tho.

It's like 32 minutes in? I doubt they shot him at 2:53 since his kid's still up.

Those lights look weird, but it could just be nothing.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Not sure why the Audrey scene was such a big issue for so many people. It seemed to fit in with the rest of the series.

The point of the scene wasn't to give you information about Billy, Tina and whoever else but to show you Audrey's character. It told us she's married, unhappy and unfulfilled and stuck due to some sort of contract. Things haven't worked out well for her.

If you have a problem with Lynch's style 12 episodes in to season 3 I really don't know what to tell you.

Another thing: Sarah Palmer is definitely being inhabited by something (I'm hoping Wyndham Earl). Also the jerky thing was her starting to fear being transported to another reality where things are very similar but not quite the same (see Annie and winning/not winning miss Twin Peaks).

Lastly, JBP, you're completely right, the situation is abysmal. I am dumping Stan as soon as Twin Peaks is finished.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could have imparted that information in many other ways that would have been equally effective without being so long and insufferable, though? People are acting like this was the only possible way to show that Audrey is unhappy.

And the Lynch's style thing is pretty disingenuous seeing how this is the only scene like this in the show so far, if not his entire career.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Escobarbarian posted:

You could have imparted that information in many other ways that would have been equally effective without being so long and insufferable, though? People are acting like this was the only possible way to show that Audrey is unhappy.

And the Lynch's style thing is pretty disingenuous seeing how this is the only scene like this in the show so far, if not his entire career.

There are plenty of scenes like that even on that same episode

Its ok to not like it (I kinda liked it but felt it was way too long), but it was indeed very Lynch

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The scene is playing with you, it keeps going on and on to draw you deeper into Audrey's frustration and impotence. It's agonizingly drawn out, inglorious, petty, and dull, everything about it is quite ridiculous, and it keeps getting more ridiculous as it goes, and there is no payoff except Audrey getting madder and madder. It's longer than you'd want because longer than she'd want. However when it takes up like ten minutes of an episode where very little else happens and the plot seems to stagnate, it's frustrating in a whole different way that I doubt was intended and certainly doesn't work very well with its context.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Audrey was an audience surrogate for the entire season during that scene. Seemed pretty intentional imo.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I really think Audrey's acting just didn't click with me for whatever reason. Aside from the length, the scene wasn't that different from Truman's wife yelling at him, but I thought that one was perfect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sherilynn Fenn has consistently been the worst ex-TP actor and it was sad to find out that even Lynch can't get a great performance out of her now (not that I thought it was BAD, definitely the best thing she's done in years, just not great)

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Head's up,
tails up,
run you scallywags.
Night falls,
morning calls,
I'll catch you with my death bag.
You may think Lynch has gone insane,
but I promise,
the Audrey scene will make more sense in hindsight!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Escobarbarian posted:

Sherilynn Fenn has consistently been the worst ex-TP actor and it was sad to find out that even Lynch can't get a great performance out of her now (not that I thought it was BAD, definitely the best thing she's done in years, just not great)

I thought she was good in Gilmore Girls, but that was 10 years ago.

The whole beginning of that scene just made me think of a bad play.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I honestly thought it was intentionally frustrating. It worked well and I love it. This show makes me feel things and that's pretty cool with shows.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
The Audrey scene is polarizing as it is, but it's funny that the acting has been polarizing too. I've seen people say "I hated the scene, but it was acted really really well." which is absurd to me, since I thought both Fenn and the other actor were dreadful. It was just so wooden, I actually wondered if her husband was even an actor, or just some strange-looking guy David Lynch saw and invited on set (as he did with the limping trailer park woman in FWWM - he saw her walking down the street and made his driver pull over).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cromulent posted:

The Audrey scene is polarizing as it is, but it's funny that the acting has been polarizing too. I've seen people say "I hated the scene, but it was acted really really well." which is absurd to me, since I thought both Fenn and the other actor were dreadful. It was just so wooden, I actually wondered if her husband was even an actor, or just some strange-looking guy David Lynch saw and invited on set (as he did with the limping trailer park woman in FWWM - he saw her walking down the street and made his driver pull over).

Her husband as OK imo, she was indeed bad

head58
Apr 1, 2013

He was so sleepy!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I've never related more to a character on tv than that ugly sleepy man whose wife detests him.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I actually did like the husband even if I didn't like the scene.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Skanker posted:

I honestly thought it was intentionally frustrating. It worked well and I love it. This show makes me feel things and that's pretty cool with shows.

This is really the best reason to watch Twin Peaks. Even if you don't care about 90% of the show, there's still scenes that make you feel a specific way and thats what Lynch does really well. Trying to "understand" why Lynch is doing something is insane to me. He creates scenes to make people feel certain ways, and if that means an entire episode to convey anticipation and frustration, then so be it.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Elias_Maluco posted:

Her husband as OK imo, she was indeed bad

Same, I thought he did a better job than Sherilynn Fenn

And More posted:

It's like 32 minutes in? I doubt they shot him at 2:53 since his kid's still up.

Those lights look weird, but it could just be nothing.

My guess is that the lights (star?/moon) are getting ready to align. It's probably late, but not 2:53 just yet.
As the time gets closer, they'll probably get more and more red/defined.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 2, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I actually did like the husband even if I didn't like the scene.

Yeah I agree with this. His delivery of "Unbelievable, what you're telling me!" is so good.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I choose to delude myself and believe that Fenn was acting badly because her character was trying too hard to still be the manipulative hot young thing she once was.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Breadallelogram posted:

I choose to delude myself and believe that Fenn was acting badly because her character was trying too hard to still be the manipulative hot young thing she once was.

Hell, who says it's an act?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Right. I'm deluding myself that it's intentional and self aware.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The whole "it's intentionally frustrating and slow! Lynch is playing with you" thing would be awesome if we were only going to be able to watch these episodes once and then they disappeared. But once the series ends its broadcast, you're going to have 18 episodes full of slow, annoying scenes and it's not going to be very rewatchable.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I disagree.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

zelah posted:

I've never related more to a character on tv than that ugly sleepy man whose wife detests him.

:same:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

:tinfoil:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

it's not going to be very rewatchable.

:wrong:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

truth. i've rewatched the new season twice so far and im about to go and rewatch part 12 right now!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People rewatching will just fast forward over certain scenes they hate the way they do with James in season 2. It's part of the Authentic Twin Peaks Experience.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Once it's over I'm watching everything in the series again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
^^ Same

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The whole "it's intentionally frustrating and slow! Lynch is playing with you" thing would be awesome if we were only going to be able to watch these episodes once and then they disappeared. But once the series ends its broadcast, you're going to have 18 episodes full of slow, annoying scenes and it's not going to be very rewatchable.

Actually, it flows well when watched in sequence to a surprising degree.