Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

wait, it's not instant death? what was stopping people from just popping hallowed and going on an adventure back during progression?

They deal damage and will kill you through Hallowed, Living Dead, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just want to double check, does Excogitation save tanks from going 50+->0 in one hit or do they die without the heal going off? I'm guessing they die.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Ibblebibble posted:

It's the level 68 vendor top, I know the tank gear looks very similar/the same, don't think the DPS one does though :(.

Yeah, as of now there isn't an equal set of that stuff for ninjas. I've checked. In time, though...

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Just want to double check, does Excogitation save tanks from going 50+->0 in one hit or do they die without the heal going off? I'm guessing they die.

deader than a doornail

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thought so! Thanks.

Within one or two Abania's of hitting 70 on SCH. I guess it wasn't that bad to level, really, but I think I prefer WHM, at least for stuff I've tried in Stormblood (AST is still 60 and I stopped WHM at 64 for some reason).

At least getting 70 SMN means I'm done with caster DPS and can clear out all my 'of Casting' leveling crap for seals :v:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

wait, it's not instant death? what was stopping people from just popping hallowed and going on an adventure back during progression?

almost certainly just coded to bypass it. there are lots of attacks like that, like pretty much every primal's super attack off the top of my head. just because it's not fatal anymore doesn't mean it wasn't fatal then, again see pretty much every primal's super when you fail the mechanic but live anyway because lol gear/unsync/etc...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone in my FC on Balmung has been typing paragraphs about how they headcanon immigration and citizenship laws in Eorzea.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

Someone in my FC on Balmung has been typing paragraphs about how they headcanon immigration and citizenship laws in Eorzea.

me, you're welcome

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I know this is probably a MB post but like.. I don't really see the issue with that? People in this thread spend ages discussing the lore. Seems harmless.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Velthice posted:

almost certainly just coded to bypass it. there are lots of attacks like that, like pretty much every primal's super attack off the top of my head. just because it's not fatal anymore doesn't mean it wasn't fatal then, again see pretty much every primal's super when you fail the mechanic but live anyway because lol gear/unsync/etc...

Interesting thing about Primals and mechanic failures, Ifrit will spam his deathblow repeatedly if you survive the first hit.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Gearhead posted:

Interesting thing about Primals and mechanic failures, Ifrit will spam his deathblow repeatedly if you survive the first hit.

So will Twintania, which is how you cheese the fight for solo unsync: be a healer, wait for her to enrage, and then just heal through it because it doesn't do that much damage.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I am samurai

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

vOv posted:

So will Twintania, which is how you cheese the fight for solo unsync: be a healer, wait for her to enrage, and then just heal through it because it doesn't do that much damage.

And the ADS in Turn 2! People were cheesing that back in 2.x: you could either read a research paper on how to handle Allagan Rot and hope everyone else knew how it worked, or you could wait for enrage and spam Medica II/Succor a lot.

Four years later and I still have no idea how you're supposed to do that fight properly.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

And the ADS in Turn 2! People were cheesing that back in 2.x: you could either read a research paper on how to handle Allagan Rot and hope everyone else knew how it worked, or you could wait for enrage and spam Medica II/Succor a lot.

Four years later and I still have no idea how you're supposed to do that fight properly.

You pass the rot along your party members in a chain one by one through all 8 people.

You just stood in a spot and let someone come to you. After that you walked over to someone else and then walked back to your spot. Repeat until boss is dead.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

You pass the rot along your party members in a chain one by one through all 8 people.

You just stood in a spot and let someone come to you. After that you walked over to someone else and then walked back to your spot. Repeat until boss is dead.

You could actually just stack people up one at a time as the debuff was about to fall off the previous person and it would take care of itself after a single cycle.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hi should i name change to Waluigiuigi Waluigi y/n

it's a good name for a lala

edit: or would it be wawaluigi waluigi

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
neither of those actually follow potato naming conventions and they're also hard to say so they're just bad names

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
im pretty sure waluigiuigi waluigi follows lalafell naming conventions. female ones, at least

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Thumbtacks posted:

hi should i name change to Waluigiuigi Waluigi y/n

it's a good name for a lala

edit: or would it be wawaluigi waluigi

Not Wawaluigi Lalaluigi?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
gently caress that's way better

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
'uigi' isn't a single syllable so it breaks the scheme unless you use it like Count Bleck did.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Velthice posted:

It's sort of a crapshoot to determine what will or will not just straight up kill you when doing things unsynced.

Fail Ramuh's DPS check? Judgment Bolt instafries you.

Fail to hit the elemental converter for Levi's Tidal Wave? lolwhocares

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's sort of a crapshoot to determine what will or will not just straight up kill you when doing things unsynced.

Ramuh's Shock Bolt tankbuster also goes through Hallowed Ground and every damage reduction CD that isn't doing the mechanic correctly. Which at current health pools is survivable until he casts them back to back.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Wait, really? Swear I've been in multiple WT groups which have wiped to Tidal Wave because of getting the converter timing wrong (and many other groups which have wiped because they burned too fast, of course). Haven't done it since Stormblood came out, though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The tanks will come out with about 1/4 of their HP left. Everyone else is dead. I know this, because I soloed Leviathan for WT last night after everyone else pushed 55% way too goddamn fast.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Having completed the 2.0 story, I am suddenly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things to do. I have a lot of stuff to unlock, I have the Heavensward lead up, lots of classes I want to try, I probably should level crafting, the beast tribe stuff, and there's probably a lot of miscellaneous stuff that I don't even know about.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Burn the MSQ until it gets tedious and then go off and do Hildabrand or anything that you're interested in doing outside of watching cutscenes.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

jalapeno_dude posted:

Wait, really? Swear I've been in multiple WT groups which have wiped to Tidal Wave because of getting the converter timing wrong (and many other groups which have wiped because they burned too fast, of course). Haven't done it since Stormblood came out, though.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The tanks will come out with about 1/4 of their HP left. Everyone else is dead. I know this, because I soloed Leviathan for WT last night after everyone else pushed 55% way too goddamn fast.

My experience was soloing Leviathan unsynced as a 70 PLD so that's probably why I had that experience. I didn't remember it doing that much damage but who knows.

Other things that aren't instakills: Titan Gaols, Twintania Conflags, Allagan Rot (although it can crit and that is a terrifying experience).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
is there a way to upgrade your account mid-month to change your subscription? I currently only have one character slot but I'd prefer two.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Steadily working my way through the 3.x and stuff and OH YEAH ME VERSUS RAUBAHN, NO ITEMS, FINAL DESTINATION

drat that felt badass. If he still had both arms, I'd probably have been in serious trouble.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Cheap Trick posted:

Steadily working my way through the 3.x and stuff and OH YEAH ME VERSUS RAUBAHN, NO ITEMS, FINAL DESTINATION

drat that felt badass. If he still had both arms, I'd probably have been in serious trouble.

Yessss the 3.x setpieces are so awesome.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cheap Trick posted:

Gotta love how the Sultana is all

"On the one hand you fighting for Ishgard is kinda unfair. On the other hand

*pulls on giant wrestlemania foam hand* RAUBAHN VERSUS WOL SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY"

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I just learned this game has PvP. How is it? I know nothing about it really, but looking for an MMO that has a strong PvP side to it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Pro: The game has separated PVE values from PVP values so that they can be balanced separately
Pro: Stats are purely a function of your job, and any traits you may take. Gear is purely a glamour reward.

Con: There is kind of a bot problem that needs dealing with.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The queue times can be kinda fickle for pvp depending on how much it rewards you outside of it. If the outside exp gain wasn't as good as it is, pvp would be a ghost town.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Cheap Trick posted:

We really should be able to replay instances.

Alpha Mayo posted:

I just learned this game has PvP. How is it? I know nothing about it really, but looking for an MMO that has a strong PvP side to it.

Very fun, especially if you go in a group.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Flames bots actually seem RIP. They we're winning games last night, and flames never win.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Does anyone know if you roll on HW primal crafting materials or does it just appear in your inventory?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm very happy that ffxiv wants tanks to print money because after hitting 70 on warrior i was able to achieve a gear level of 300 in literally minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just did the keeper of the lake for the first time. upon hitting the boss i was told mid battle i needed to tank one dragon far away from the boss and the other close to him

after the dungeon i looked it up and that checked out, but i couldn't find information on why i needed to do that

anyone mind filling me in? mostly just curious