Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MJ12 posted:

Yoko Taro's games seem to largely be explorations on violence and how it relates to people.

Drakengard asked the question of what kind of person would it take to be able to do what the characters in Dynasty Warriors or the like do and singlehandedly kill thousands of people in close combat.
Nier asked the question of what it would take for a good person to do a terrible thing like genocide.
Drakengard 3 asked the question of what it would take for a terrible person to do a good thing like save the world.

There's always the question of how violence relates to the main characters, and through the main characters, to humanity. It seems to me that the theme of Nier: Automata is whether the androids and machines actually have a good reason to be fighting, or if they're just fighting because it's all they know to do, long after any reason or rationale to fight has been lost, simply because of an unending cycle of hatred and an unwillingness to go 'okay guys maybe the thing we've been doing for the past ten thousand years was a bad idea all along.' The machines slowly discovering some sort of humanity, and then Adam and Eve going and loving it all up because of the unending cycle of hate seems pretty fitting for a Yoko Taro game.

A lot of the 'we just walked away from the war' fake endings are surprisingly upbeat, which seems to me to lend credence to that theory that the war is literally meaningless and you should be trying to walk away from it.

A lot of the "Everyone died! No moral!" endings are surprisingly upbeat. The joke endings having a cheery tone seems to just be a thing for them in general, rather than particularly strong evidence for the general themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Really Pants posted:

don't read tvtropes

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MJ12 posted:

A lot of the 'we just walked away from the war' fake endings are surprisingly upbeat, which seems to me to lend credence to that theory that the war is literally meaningless and you should be trying to walk away from it.

On a similar note, Drakengard gives you a lot of chances to stop playing before everything goes literally to hell and you get the worst ending.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

On the other hand, we have an example of someone who actually walked away from the war. We retrieved the logs of it from their corpse. So maybe not that upbeat.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
It's ok, that android was an abusive jerk anyway. Bad things happen to bad people in Taro games, right?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ryas posted:

It's ok, that android was an abusive jerk anyway. Bad things happen to bad people in Taro games, right?

Yes, and that's pretty much the entire cast of every game save for Yonah, who probably strangled a kitten while her dad was away.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Don't you ever talk poo poo about Yonah again.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yonah, who probably strangled a kitten while her dad was away.

Not okay.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes, and that's pretty much the entire cast of every game save for Yonah, who probably strangled a kitten while her dad was away.

Say that to my face, you son of a bitch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ryas posted:

Bad things happen to good people too. And mediocre people. Basically it's advised not to be a people.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

chiasaur11 posted:

Bad things happen to good people too. And mediocre people. Basically it's advised not to be a people.

Bad things happen to the machines, too. And the androids. And the pods. And the boars and moose.

It's best not to be.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

The only winning move in a Yoko Taro game is not to play.

That's why we let TDI do it for us!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Didn't the aliens attack in the year five-thousand something? I keep seeing people say that the androids and machines have been fighting for 10,000 years but that doesn't seem to be in line with the timeline.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Mega64 posted:

It's best not to be.

Then it's a good thing we switched to 9S now, eh? :downsrim:

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuugh.

You're fired.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

White Coke posted:

Didn't the aliens attack in the year five-thousand something? I keep seeing people say that the androids and machines have been fighting for 10,000 years but that doesn't seem to be in line with the timeline.

Yeah it's only been about 7,000 years, but that's not as fun to say.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Begemot posted:

Yeah it's only been about 7,000 years, but that's not as fun to say.

The year 400 Billion is copyright Ren and Stimpy I think.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Bad things happen to the machines, too. And the androids. And the pods. And the boars and moose.

It's best not to be.

Has anything bad happened to a pod yet?

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

A couple have been lost/abandoned.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

One of them got stuck with 9S

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

chiasaur11 posted:

Mega64 posted:

It's best not to be.

Sage Grimm posted:

apocalypticCritic posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuugh.

You're fired.

This is one of the best pages in the thread so far (not counting updates).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Screaming Idiot posted:

:mad:
Yonah and Emil are the only two pure and innocent people in the DrakeNier setting.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I am so excited for the Nines route. Curious to see what exactly changes though, since 9S is with 2B (or is dead) pretty much the whole time.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yonah and Emil are the only two pure and innocent people in the DrakeNier setting.

Emil murdered an entire settlement full of people and shades because World's Best Dad popped a killboner when someone said the word "shade" at a flea market.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

axeil posted:

I am so excited for the Nines route. Curious to see what exactly changes though, since 9S is with 2B (or is dead) pretty much the whole time.

The 9S route has a lot of repeated content, but all the stuff that's not repeated is pretty awesome. Also, 9S is, surprisingly, a total beast in combat, which takes a lot of the sting off of repeated combat segments.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Give 9S a spear and he'll just wreck shop forever

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

vdate posted:

I want this to be true so badly.
Who likes short shorts?
WE LIKE SHORT SHORTS!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Emil murdered an entire settlement full of people and shades because World's Best Dad popped a killboner when someone said the word "shade" at a flea market.
Emil wasn't the one who started that fight, he can't be blamed for it :colbert:

Ryas posted:

And to good people. And to neutral people. Basically the only way to avoid bad things happening to you in a Yoko Taro game is to not be a person. The rocks 2B spent the game running across live a blissful, idyllic life free of conflict and pain.

Sage Grimm posted:

Sigh

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

He was just trying to help.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Your suffering only adds to my punitive powers!

Also..

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Basically the only way to avoid bad things happening to you in a Yoko Taro game is to not be a person. The rocks 2B spent the game running across live a blissful, idyllic life free of conflict and pain.

Need I remind you of the giant crater in the middle of the city because of an Engels?

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
To clear up any confusion, I am NOT The Dark Id. If you are colour blind, I apologise for causing any confusion.

On topic, Not-Eve stubby is a great segment, and the greatest disappointment that it ends so soon.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Thank you for restoring my sanity.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Your suffering only adds to my punitive powers!

Also..

Need I remind you of the giant crater in the middle of the city because of an Engels?

That made more rocks! Now the rocks have friends!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's kind of hard to judge the people/dragons/shades/androids/whatever in the Nier/Drakengard realities as good or bad when they live in such a terrible and unrelentingly cruel world. It's just endless torture and even though many of the problems are self created a lot of the horrors are inescapable and unavoidable and there's nothing any of them can do to stop them or fix things. Hell, quite a few of the characters are just preprogramed to go insane at a certain point and literally have no free will or control over their actions.

Nowe is undeniably a douche though.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 2, 2017

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
9S is probably the most contentious character in this game, and I think it goes hand in hand with him having a very love-it-or-hate-it playstyle: either it clicks with you in the first hour and you adore the change of pace(as it did for me) or you hate it forever, which I can understand. There's not a lot of middle ground

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

The Watercrown posted:

To clear up any confusion, I am NOT The Dark Id. If you are colour blind, I apologise for causing any confusion.

But now your name doesn't make sense anymore!

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Route B is much more enjoyable if the player completes a decent portion of the side quests in between the repeated missions. I’ve skimmed a few blind playthroughs on Twitch, and anyone who focused on just playing through the main story missions as quickly as possible tended to have a bad time.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Maybe we can wait to discuss Nines' reception and playstyle until after Id does something with him beyond showing off an ending

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's kind of hard to judge the people/dragons/shades/androids/whatever in the Nier/Drakengard realities as good or bad when they live in such a terrible and unrelentingly cruel world. It's just endless torture and even though many of the problems are self created a lot of the horrors are inescapable and unavoidable and there's nothing any of them can do to stop them or fix things. Hell, quite a few of the characters are just preprogramed to go insane at a certain point and literally have no free will or control over their actions.

I mean that basically describes our world, so I feel it's fair to judge them.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hey Mikhail is an amoral dragon but he's a Good Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Basically Caim is undeniably good, because death is the best option for everyone involved.

• Locked thread