Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Lmao chances are they come from the same factory as OnePlus

Hahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thermopyle posted:

Amazon suspended sales of Blu phones for including spyware...again.

Bold Like Us.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hahahahaha

I mean I would need to validate that suspicion through Panjiva (place to check freight manifests) but knowing they're a rebrand of Oppo, who entered the scene around the same time as BLU, with similar "lying through benchmarks and spec sheets" approaches between the both of them, I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same place under different contracts.

E:

Goddamn what a good camera the Pixel has.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How much do things like Ambient Display, lift to check, and double-tap to check affect battery life? Like if lift to check is enabled is the screen always on when the phone is bouncing around in my pocket while walking down the street?

I recently got a Pixel and it seems the battery life is draining a little more than I'm used to (the phone still lasts all day, though). Or maybe it's because it's immeasurably more powerful than my old 1GB Moto G3 and therefore sucking more juice.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thermopyle posted:

Amazon suspended sales of Blu phones for including spyware...again.

Ugh, I bought a Life One X2 a few months ago because I needed something cheap. Short of getting a new phone, is there anything I can do? I know nothing about Android security.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

How much do things like Ambient Display, lift to check, and double-tap to check affect battery life? Like if lift to check is enabled is the screen always on when the phone is bouncing around in my pocket while walking down the street?

I recently got a Pixel and it seems the battery life is draining a little more than I'm used to (the phone still lasts all day, though). Or maybe it's because it's immeasurably more powerful than my old 1GB Moto G3 and therefore sucking more juice.

Ambient display and double tap shouldn't be consuming anything worth concerning yourself over. I've never enabled lift to check but I'd have a tough time believing it would be a problem either.

Lester Shy posted:

Ugh, I bought a Life One X2 a few months ago because I needed something cheap. Short of getting a new phone, is there anything I can do? I know nothing about Android security.

There is nothing you can do.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

RZA Encryption posted:

WEL-
COME
TO THE
PIXEL

Zune reference?

Edit: New possible Pixel 2 renders from LG cases on Amazon:

Starting to look a little like the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, one of my favourite ever handsets.

The top and bottom bezels are much smaller than in previous renders I've seen, though not as small as the XL's might be:

Source on these: https://bgr.com/2017/07/31/pixel-2-release-date-nears-cases-on-amazon/

Waterproofing, brighter display, better battery life, processor and camera and there's the perfect phone.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 1, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Since OnePlus entirely screwed the pooch on how they handled my 1+5 order, I am now on the(Huawei) Honor 9. I have to say, it's a really nice device, even though the 100 layer special glass back doesn't impress me too much. It's quite annoying that there still isn't an (official) custom recovery for it tho. One thing I really don't like about new Android is the fact that they find it necessary to tell me that my unlocked bootloader is unsafe every boot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Since OnePlus entirely screwed the pooch on how they handled my 1+5 order, I am now on the(Huawei) Honor 9. I have to say, it's a really nice device, even though the 100 layer special glass back doesn't impress me too much. It's quite annoying that there still isn't an (official) custom recovery for it tho. One thing I really don't like about new Android is the fact that they find it necessary to tell me that my unlocked bootloader is unsafe every boot.

Well it is unsafe, not that I'd put a lot of faith in Huawei's stock firmware being secure either. It would be a bit on the nose to have it flash a warning "Broken out of the box" on boot even if it was more accurate.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 1, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

LastInLine posted:

Well it is unsafe, not that I'd put a lot of faith in Huawei's stock firmware being secure either. It would be a bit on the nose to have it flash a warning "Broken out of the box" on boot even if it was more accurate.

Yes of course it's slightly more unsafe in case someone has physical access to the device. I'd still like to disable the stupid message, because I know it anyway.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
So I finally spiderweb cracked the glass screen on this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LEL8ABY/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I'm looking for a replacement "screen & digitizer" but I'm seeing poo poo in the range of XT1650-01 : XT1650-05 between $107-140

I posted an info request on amazon.com but I'm looking for help so I can order/ fix this thing before next week.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got a Moto G5 Plus that I picked up at launch. Lately it's been having some trouble; the Google Now screen and search widget are very slow to open and laggy when they do, performance overall seems to have dropped, and occasionally the phone reboots on it's own. When it does, it seems to reboot quicker than if I do it manually; the Moto splash screen pops up, and a few seconds later it's asking for my PIN to unlock. What's the best way to figure out what's going on here?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

havent heard a peep posted:

So I finally spiderweb cracked the glass screen on this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LEL8ABY/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I'm looking for a replacement "screen & digitizer" but I'm seeing poo poo in the range of XT1650-01 : XT1650-05 between $107-140

I posted an info request on amazon.com but I'm looking for help so I can order/ fix this thing before next week.

I'm not exactly sure what you need from your post, but those prices look normal. iFixit stocks the screen and digitizer. Unfortunately they don't have a teardown or replacement guide for that phone yet:
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Moto-Z-LCD-Screen-and-Digitizer/IF368-000-1

However there is a guide on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3R8Y8Sl_-8

$100-140 bucks is normal pricing for a screen with digitizer. You'll also need a heat gun (don't blast the phone, just get it warm like in the video) and some spudgers and other cell phone repair prying tools.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Toebone posted:

I've got a Moto G5 Plus that I picked up at launch. Lately it's been having some trouble; the Google Now screen and search widget are very slow to open and laggy when they do, performance overall seems to have dropped, and occasionally the phone reboots on it's own. When it does, it seems to reboot quicker than if I do it manually; the Moto splash screen pops up, and a few seconds later it's asking for my PIN to unlock. What's the best way to figure out what's going on here?

Either you put some horrible garbage on it somehow or your phone is busted. Tried a factory reset?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

You'll want to google "Remove unlocked bootloader warning" + your phone. You're looking for instructions on flashing logo.bin file.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*disassembles instrument panel, removes bulb behind seatbelt indicator*

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

Either you put some horrible garbage on it somehow or your phone is busted. Tried a factory reset?

The fact that it's rebooting on its own makes me think it could be dying but yeah, a factory reset is the first place I'd start. Is this the 4GB or 2GB version?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

LastInLine posted:

The fact that it's rebooting on its own makes me think it could be dying but yeah, a factory reset is the first place I'd start. Is this the 4GB or 2GB version?

Four gig version. I'll try doing a factory reset later tonight.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

It's 5 extra seconds the once a month you reboot for security updates.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If he made the effort to unlock the bootloader, he's probably doing something dumb like running nightlies or something and rebooting 10 times a day.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Toebone posted:

Four gig version. I'll try doing a factory reset later tonight.

Good luck. I was thinking it may have been memory constrained which wouldn't explain the reboots but would explain the slowness but with 4GB you shouldn't be seeing that either. The reboots sound like a kernel panic since you mention it's coming up much faster than if you rebooted on your own. I can't imagine what could be running so poorly that you're bringing down the entire OS though as I haven't seen anything like that since the Gingerbread era.

Maybe be a little pickier on which apps you install but I'd be interested to hear if it fixes your problem.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Edit: New possible Pixel 2 renders from LG cases on Amazon:
Headphone jack on top. gently caress yea.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
God drat, my 6p is starting to suck so hard with battery life and basically in general that I may actually follow through with my Essential reservation whenever that actually happens. I normally am cool with waiting months for the new Google phone, but I guess I'm compelled by the stupid camera and wider status bar or something.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
YMMV but I think Google is still replacing some Nexus 6p's - even out of warranty. My friend had battery issues come up last month and went though all their troubleshooting steps via support (changing settings, uninstalling apps, hard reset, etc) and then they shipped out a replacement.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Jewce posted:

God drat, my 6p is starting to suck so hard with battery life and basically in general that I may actually follow through with my Essential reservation whenever that actually happens. I normally am cool with waiting months for the new Google phone, but I guess I'm compelled by the stupid camera and wider status bar or something.

The 6P's battery bullshit is what finally made me buy a verizon-branded Pixel XL off Swappa. It was only $435, minus the $260 I got for selling the 6P. The Pixel is definitely (and obviously) the best phone I've ever owned. The camera on it is just so good.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

YMMV but I think Google is still replacing some Nexus 6p's - even out of warranty. My friend had battery issues come up last month and went though all their troubleshooting steps via support (changing settings, uninstalling apps, hard reset, etc) and then they shipped out a replacement.

Interesting. I'll have to look into the battery issues to see if my stuff sounds similar. I got it right when it was announced so it's old and I figured that was all there was to it.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The 6P's battery bullshit is what finally made me buy a verizon-branded Pixel XL off Swappa. It was only $435, minus the $260 I got for selling the 6P. The Pixel is definitely (and obviously) the best phone I've ever owned. The camera on it is just so good.

Yeah, I couldn't stand to buy a pixel now with new stuff right around the corner. I normally upgrade ever years, but skipped the pixel so buying it now would just make me feel dumb. A better camera would be so nice though.

Also, I mentioned the camera above, but I really meant the placement of the front camera. Obviously the bezeless display is cool, but really I think it will be great for video calls. Since having a kid I do a lot of those and I feel like it will seem so much more like I'm actually looking at the person.

I know some people hate the cut out, but I think it's a great idea, even if the status bar is a little taller.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Headphone jack on top. gently caress yea.

While I don't use mine anymore, if your fingerprint sensor is on the back, this is the worst loving place to put it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Keyser_Soze posted:

Mine started bootlooping and they replaced it with very few questions asked. If you got it from the google store its worth calling them up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My 6P didn't come from Google but apparently Huawei provide two years warranty so they replaced the battery on mine.

My mum is using it now and is quite happy, not sure how long that'll remain the case but really any extra usage out of it she can get is good.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

While I don't use mine anymore, if your fingerprint sensor is on the back, this is the worst loving place to put it.

I think the excitement isn't that it's on top, it's that there's a headphone jack at all.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mister Facetious posted:

Theris posted:

I think the excitement isn't that it's on top, it's that there's a headphone jack at all.

This, but I'll bite regardless. Why is it a problem if the headphone jack is on top if there's a fingerprint sensor?

On my MXP, my finger naturally ends up near the dimple on the back where I assume a fingerprint sensor would be. I've never noticed it under my finger or had it otherwise be an issue, is there something I'm missing? Or is this the thing about the orientation of your phone in your pocket or something?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

This, but I'll bite regardless. Why is it a problem if the headphone jack is on top if there's a fingerprint sensor?

On my MXP, my finger naturally ends up near the dimple on the back where I assume a fingerprint sensor would be. I've never noticed it under my finger or had it otherwise be an issue, is there something I'm missing? Or is this the thing about the orientation of your phone in your pocket or something?

It's inconvenient when pulling a phone from your pocket if you're just planning to check a text or something, where you'll be putting it right back afterward.
If the jack is on the bottom, it's way easier to pull out your phone already oriented properly while placing your finger on the sensor, especially given the size it will be (bigger than a G6).

V - True.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 2, 2017

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Headphone jack on top is super dumb, but if that's the only choice gently caress it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mister Facetious posted:

It's inconvenient when pulling a phone from your pocket if you're just planning to check a text or something, where you'll be putting it right back afterward.
If the jack is on the bottom, it's way easier to pull out your phone already oriented properly while placing your finger on the sensor, especially given the size it will be (bigger than a G6).

Every phone I've owned has had a jack on top so this hasn't been a problem for me, but I'll take your word for it I guess? :shrug: I just grab the top of the phone or the headphone cord itself and pop it into my palm once it's out of my pocket. I guess maybe if I had larger pockets/smaller phones I'd appreciate it being on the bottom, but it's not a problem I realized needed solving.

Then again, we're living in a world with phones like the pixel where you apparently don't realize how slow other phones are until you use one so who knows, maybe I'm just living like a caveman and don't realize it yet. I mean, I'm already living without a fingerprint reader which according to a bunch of people here is basically mandatory to using a phone nowadays

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm already living without a fingerprint reader which according to a bunch of people here is basically mandatory to using a phone nowadays

Overrated unless you need the security, or like NFC pay. If you run your phone unlocked like I did with my N5, then headphone jack placing won't matter.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 2, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Of course bottom headphone jack is the master race.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Even if you don't use the fingerprint reader the bottom is the correct location for the headphone jack - it's the one thing I preferred on my otherwise garbage LG G3 over the N6P that replaced it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Overrated unless you need the security, or like NFC pay. If you run your phone unlocked like I did with my N5, then headphone jack placing won't matter.

Pro username/post combo right here.

Unless you're being serious (can't really tell with someone who bought an LG and acts like it was a good idea) but come on, unlocking with the fingerprint is literally faster than having no lockscreen at all. It's like saying steering wheels are overrated because we've always had oars.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 2, 2017

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Like Wrist Watch I never had trouble with the headphone jack on my Moto G(1) 4G. I just grabbed the top of my phone between my thumb and index finger and flipped it into my palm as a lifted it to my face. I'll admit this might be significantly harder with a bigger phone or with a back-mounted fingerprint reader. I have a G5+ with the headphone jack on the bottom now.

(Most annoying hardware feature on the G5+: inverted volume/power buttons so I lock the phone when I try to lower the volume.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Pro username/post combo right here.

but come on, unlocking with the fingerprint is literally faster than having no lockscreen at all.

Not if all you want to do is check notifications and reply from the lock screen.