Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Because both are references that are incredibly misleading if you actually get them. Generally speaking, you'd want it to do the opposite, especially if your target audience is somewhat likely to get it.

It'd be like naming a Hallmark movie marathon The Trail of Tears -- sure, it's a fitting name for what's going on, but it has other associations too.

If TLD has mapping in now, though ... drat, I really need to get back to it. How does it compare to, say, Miasmata's mapping system?

:jerkbag: Who gives a poo poo? Maybe an AI caused the electromagnetic pulse or something. And comparing a video game using something vaguely related from a book to the Trail of Tears is... something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Tbh, the only survival game I've played where the survival bits don't become pretty quickly trivial is The Long Dark.

Like, in The Forest, if you find a pond with fish, which are everywhere, you're set for the entire game on food and water, not much of a challenge :/

Yeah feels like almost every survival game really quickly just becomes an exploration/building game. TLD is maybe the only one in the recent wave of sandboxy survival games that truly feels like a survival game.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Its a fun reference given new context (we dont even know the story yet) . Stop being so nitpicky.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Dyna Soar posted:

Its a fun reference given new context (we dont even know the story yet) . Stop being so nitpicky.

It's entirely possible it's not a Gibson reference. Wikipedia mentions Wintermute Lake was named for Charles Wintermute, a pioneer who settled near the lake. It could be that one of the devs vacationed there or something.

Also I am so excited to get back into this now that it has cartography in it. Cartography is my jam.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Hermsgervørden posted:

It's entirely possible it's not a Gibson reference. Wikipedia mentions Wintermute Lake was named for Charles Wintermute, a pioneer who settled near the lake. It could be that one of the devs vacationed there or something.

Also I am so excited to get back into this now that it has cartography in it. Cartography is my jam.

Huh. That's cool, and it's much more likely than a weirdly askance Neuromancer reference. For a dead guy without a Wikipedia article he has his SEO on lockdown, too.

And for the record, I'm well aware that a bad reference to classic cyberpunk ≠ an awful real-life tragedy perpetrated by awful people. It was in poor taste. Mea culpa.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hermsgervørden posted:

I've spent some time with it and I really like the implementation. Last time I played I was drawing my own lovely maps on a notepad while playing, and the mapping system is basically that in-game, with much better accuracy. The area you map at one time is really small so it'll be a huge task to map out the world world, even one zone.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

If TLD has mapping in now, though ... drat, I really need to get back to it. How does it compare to, say, Miasmata's mapping system?

It's nothing like Miasmata's system. You just use lumps of charcoal taken from burned out fires and choose an area to survey. It then creates a small area of mapped terrain around you, which darkens over time to show that the information there is no longer up to date. I'm not a big fan of it, to be honest. It's a painstaking process because the area you map out at any one time is not very large, and going through the motions of stopping, surveying, stopping, surveying gets tedious pretty quickly if you want to make a proper map that doesn't have a ton of gaps in it everywhere. I would have preferred it if it had been more like Miasmata, which required you put in a bit more effort to find good spots with visible landmarks you could use to triangulate your position, but also revealed much more of the map at a time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Drunk in Space posted:

It's nothing like Miasmata's system. You just use lumps of charcoal taken from burned out fires and choose an area to survey. It then creates a small area of mapped terrain around you, which darkens over time to show that the information there is no longer up to date.
'No longer up to date'? Does it include wolf/deer locations too, because that's the only thing I can think of that would change at all over time.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, the map information includes the location of temporary things like tree branches and animals and so on.

EDIT: I mean, things like tree branches and mushrooms or whatever should stay there until you harvest them, but they'll remain on the map unless you survey again after using them up.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 10, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Empyrion is more similar to a combat/vehicle oriented minecraft, than a flat out survival sim. Food and oxygen are easy to come by, but materials for making a kickass spaceship? You'll need to work for those.
That's not to say the game's bad. I've gotten plenty of fun out of it. It's just not much of a survival game.

At a certain early to mid point stage it's more exploratory but once you figure out where everything is and start on the really serious planets and content it turns into a hardcore survival simulator. Especially with the new radiation and temperature effects in the environment. The first time I stepped out of my ship in space and got flash fried with radiation by my own ship's engines was a surprise.

If you're not finding it to be a good survival game at the beginning you should start on a harder planet. Akua is downright generous compared to the murderous nightmare that are some of the later starter planets they've introduced.

It's also a good game to play in MP. I'm on a 100+ player server at the moment and it's just nuts what sort of poo poo you can find. There was a battle in high orbit over the planet I was on last weekend that lead to the engines on a ship getting blown up. So they crashed into the planet at top speed and bailed with what loot they had on them before the other guild could finish them off.

I ended up getting some crazy salvage out of it before the other group showed up to start blowing chunks out of the terrain. Meanwhile the players in the capital ship found themselves stranded on a desert planet with all their stockpiled goods and repair supplies they were hoping to keep safe missing. :allears:

I'm seriously tempted to make a thread about it and see if there can be another 7 Days to Die style goon rush.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 14, 2017

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Has it changed much? We goonrushed the hell out of it about six months ago and had a tonnn of goodfights, until we basically took over the server and everyone gave up trying to kill us. Highlight was our (loving enormous) orbital boneyard or derelict ships we stripped clean of valuables.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Zerilan posted:

Yeah feels like almost every survival game really quickly just becomes an exploration/building game. TLD is maybe the only one in the recent wave of sandboxy survival games that truly feels like a survival game.

I haven't gotten very far in The Long Dark, how does it achieve this? Is it just that you're always hobbling together remedies for various maladies the whole time and never really get to set up a stockpile? It seems inevitable in a game about collecting resources you'd eventually collect enough for a sense of safety.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Kassoon posted:

I haven't gotten very far in The Long Dark, how does it achieve this? Is it just that you're always hobbling together remedies for various maladies the whole time and never really get to set up a stockpile? It seems inevitable in a game about collecting resources you'd eventually collect enough for a sense of safety.
Since basically everything in TLD decays over time, there's a constant drive to keep on top of things. You can coast for a while off the clothes and food you find in buildings, but eventually you need to start crafting and hunting. You're also rarely 100% safe - weather changes at the drop of a hat, animals roam, etc.

And on a more personal level, I feel like the focus on realism helps. It's just you and the wilderness, and it turns out the wilderness is unforgiving. That's not to say it's 100% realistic(one minmax strategy is eating the bare minimum of food before bed and starving the rest of the time), but it's enough to keep it grounded.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Play on Interloper

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

dylguy90 posted:

Has it changed much? We goonrushed the hell out of it about six months ago and had a tonnn of goodfights, until we basically took over the server and everyone gave up trying to kill us. Highlight was our (loving enormous) orbital boneyard or derelict ships we stripped clean of valuables.

It's gotten some pretty huge changes, yeah. Off the top of my head some of the most noticeable things are:

NPC's now exist. This includes friendly and hostile NPC capital ships, NPC fighters, and NPC trade stations. The latter can be docked with and boarded to sell or buy goods and items using a new currency that was implemented. Capital ships can be nasty too, depending on what ships the server has uploaded to spawn. NPC capital ships are also boardable, and have some good loot if you can manage it. It's loving hard though. You've got to knock out their engines and then any turrets on the approach vector if you're going in your suit. I was surprised to discover that one alien ship had anti-infantry turrets inside of it to try to foil intruders.

Environmental effects are a thing now. Radical temperature changes will kill you. That means that it's entirely possible to execute (or commit suicide) by firing your engines on someone. And in space that means wearing insulation. Outside of that radiation is a thing. Objects give it off, like a warp core. Which means you want proper shielding. But aside from that some planets and materials are naturally radioactive. Some foods can help decrease radiation poisoning but it adds a whole new level of complexity. Building proper facilities is a must now.

There are now pressurized environments. Having one in a vessel with an interior means that you'll use oxygen a lot slower.

It's also possible to mine with vehicles. And given that the ore can be automatically transferred to a hopper for pick up or processing that means that mass mining is a thing now. Never mind how much more convenient and fast it is than using a personal drill.

Modding got a huge boost. You can now design entire new scenarios and galaxies and upload them. There's already a few up, and they revamped the existing start options so you can opt to start in a base instead of having to tech up and get lucky on nearby deposits.

Scenarios also include at least two new pre-installed SP and MP scenarios. The MP one also has a SP variant where your faction supposedly (I asked someone about it.) fights as NPC's without you. I haven't really checked that one out yet. From what little exploration i've done in the one i'm working on in SP scenario i'm playing it appears to have an entire new galaxy loaded with planets to explore. There's also a few scenarios already out on the workshop thanks to the devs letting people use the tools before the newest update came out to have them ready at release. One has something like 50 planets, along with types and environments you won't see in any new game.

A bunch of new planets and other stuff are also in in. Suffice to say that it's definitely worth picking up.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 15, 2017

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Meanwhile, Subnautica got a new sub damage model

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

dylguy90 posted:

Meanwhile, Subnautica got a new sub damage model

That no one (with half a brain) asked for.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Archonex posted:

I'm seriously tempted to make a thread about it and see if there can be another 7 Days to Die style goon rush.

There is one. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793800 (the 6.0 talk is only the last half of the last page though)

I play with some buddies on what turned out to be the same server the goon crew is on, so I've just been keeping my head down. :)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://store.steampowered.com/app/617030/Landless/

Looks kinda similar to that raft based game someone linked a few pages ago.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
The Long Dark has it's 1.0 release today! Story mode is here. Also I think there is some sort of event for sandbox as the devs made a post about evacuating certain areas in Mystery Lake before launch.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

bigmandan posted:

The Long Dark has it's 1.0 release today! Story mode is here. Also I think there is some sort of event for sandbox as the devs made a post about evacuating certain areas in Mystery Lake before launch.
From what I've read they're likely just updating various building interiors, so they were wink-wink nudging players to GTFO to avoid lost items and savegame bugs.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

From what I've read they're likely just updating various building interiors, so they were wink-wink nudging players to GTFO to avoid lost items and savegame bugs.

Ah okay, that makes sense.

Can't wait to get home and try out story mode.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I just finished it, it's a bit shocking because a lot of stuff is gated and kind of handholdy, which is totally different from the tone of the rest of the game. It's a lot of fun though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

tuyop posted:

I just finished it, it's a bit shocking because a lot of stuff is gated and kind of handholdy, which is totally different from the tone of the rest of the game. It's a lot of fun though.
Handholdy-ness is kind of a bummer, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at that in this day and age.

Then again, I'm also complaining about the story mode(and implied tutorial) being handholdy after several years of playing a public beta, when the 'normal' way would be to play the story mode/tutorial first. :v:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I played it a few hours, I'm at the point where You collect wood and food for the blind woman and that part feels a bit tedious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I played it a few hours, I'm at the point where You collect wood and food for the blind woman and that part feels a bit tedious.

Oh yes, I hated that. But I later discovered much more wood:

If you go back the way you came, there's a pile of pallets. If you continue past her house on the road you'll come to a store with a park on the right. Going up the hill will give you all the picnic tables you want.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
So far I'm liking the story mode... with one exception: Invisible wolves! I can hear them eating the deer carcasses, but I cannot see them. If I relaunch the game they are visible again, but after a short while it reverts back.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm finally gonna get back into the game because of story mode. surviving is cool but without a purpose to it i ultimately feel like i should be playing a game with more direction.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Coolguye posted:

i'm finally gonna get back into the game because of story mode. surviving is cool but without a purpose to it i ultimately feel like i should be playing a game with more direction.

You could try one of the challenges if you have not done so already.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Definitely do that escape-the-bear challenge. That thing is a huge rear end in a top hat. Don't read up on how to do it either, because there are ways you can cheese it. Play it blind.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I've always been so bad at this game, but I managed to drag my sorry rear end into town & get my firewood quest before logging off last night. Feels pretty good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bigmandan posted:

You could try one of the challenges if you have not done so already.

how the hell did i forget that these were a thing

pro tip dude thanks

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I really liked the Hopeless Rescue challenge that makes you cross the world and summit Timberwolf Mountain on the way, having to do all that in seven days made it a completely different game than loafing around in sandbox.

bigmandan posted:

So far I'm liking the story mode... with one exception: Invisible wolves! I can hear them eating the deer carcasses, but I cannot see them. If I relaunch the game they are visible again, but after a short while it reverts back.
Having the same problem, but after a few scares/flares I'm pretty sure that if the wolves aren't there they've run off and the sounds are harmless, and if they come back it's because the game straight-up spawned a new wolf/carcass in the same spot. I've seen a few more bugs but so far none have been gamebreaking.

Aside from the usual inventory management woes (if quest items can be weightless why do I have to drag around 15KG in tools?) I'm liking the story overall, the handholdiness of the tutorial has a purpose and I know it's cliche at this point but it gets good. Play it and pet a bunny today.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love the bunny dilemma.

The three lines that appear when you're carrying carcasses are stink lines, right?

Also, I just almost died of thirst in sandbox because I ran out of matches, then I realized I had a flare, lit it and was able to use it for ignition and save myself. I love this game.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

tuyop posted:

The three lines that appear when you're carrying carcasses are stink lines, right?

Also, I just almost died of thirst in sandbox because I ran out of matches, then I realized I had a flare, lit it and was able to use it for ignition and save myself. I love this game.

Yes the three lines are your smell-o-metre. Note that even if the metre does not show up, having a small piece of meat will still give of a scent. I actually like to carry around a un-cured gut to use it as bait for the wolves. After they take the bait I can either book it or hunt them.

E: There is no dilemma for me with the bunnies. I'm a monster.

bigmandan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 2, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Bunnies are mobile emergency field rations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

tuyop posted:

There's no dilemma

But I can't really consistently aim my rocks at those things. I kinda figured a good way to measure the throw was to aim in the middle of the thumb and index finger of the "aiming" hand or something like that.

I just finished episode 1 boy, the number of wolves and their behaviour pissed me off. They were EVERYWHERE around Milton town. I shoot them with a distress pistol, they ran a bit and immediately run back towards me even though I'm high-tailing it away. Although the wolf attacks did have a side-effect of suddenly there being quite a few wolf corpses...

Encumberance to rappel down a mountaining rope was a bummer, since I had to leave a lot of foodstuffs behind. I'm no good at surviving, I can't go to bed hungry, I always have to hoard stuff.

Starting episode 2 was a nice moment when You find out you're in Mystery lake. However, playing this map a lot in Sandbox did not stop me from getting lost trying to trek to Lake office cabin from Trapper's cabin. I suck at orienteering too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah there is no dilemma with rabbits. if you feel one it's because you've never actually met a rabbit. those overgrown rats deserve to die, they're assholes one and all. gently caress them. i haven't figured out a great way to line up my throw though, i've gotten a handful of rabbits so far and it still mostly feels like luck. fortunately the general use case is to walk around and do whatever it is you do and just throw a couple of stones at targets of opportunity. if you miss, who gives a poo poo, just let the rabbit go, just pick up your stones and keep walking. there will be another one around the next corner. just get the next one.

i actually ended up at the farm before i showed up at milton because i took a side trail to avoid a wolf. there, i relearned exactly how god damned useless reclaimed wood is at providing fuel. fortunately that farmhouse was easy enough to get into and provided plenty of resources for me to take a day and just patch my clothing up. sure makes going after fuel easier when my poo poo isn't falling apart and i don't instantly freeze when i step outside.

somewhat related: is it worth dinking around in chapter 1 to build up some resources before going forward? there's clearly an opportunity to get a couple days' life support and a decent bit of crafting resources from the local area. also, how quickly do prepared herbal remedies deteriorate, if at all? i've been keeping rosehips and so forth in 'prepared' but not 'tea' form because i'm concerned about the tea getting lovely before i need the medicine.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 3, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Have they removed skill advancement from story mode? It's awfully nice when you get better at building fires after a bit, although I can understand that they may have wanted to keep the game flowing rather than encourage people to sit around leveling up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zerilan posted:

Don't Starve?