Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

The VIZ translation of Chrollo's and Kaccho's scenes offer a bit more clarity, the Luzurus scene was basically perfectly on the money though.

MS

VIZ

MS

VIZ

So yeah Kacho is trying to make everyone there hate her for some reason.

Also I have a question about a Viz translation from chapter 362 Luzurus stated he was planning on doing something with Tubeppa. But both translations I read were different. One stated he planned on targeting her first, while the other implied he was going to ally with her.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Part of me wonders if Kacho's trying to pull a Guts, i.e. acting antagonistic to drive away everyone who might care about her so they don't get hurt/killed when stuff starts to go down.

Her sister crying over the photo of them together certainly suggests they used to be friendlier.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

So yeah Kacho is trying to make everyone there hate her for some reason.

Also I have a question about a Viz translation from chapter 363 Luzurus stated he was planning on doing something with Tubeppa. But both translations I read were different. One stated he planned on targeting her first, while the other implied he was going to ally with her.

He says they'll follow her which is different to both and somewhat ambiguous. I mean ambiguous narratively rather than translation wise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tserriednich may be a genius but at the end of the day he's not going to be more do than gon and Killua so should be no match for any actual hunter were it not for the nen beast

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tsen-ric and camilla arent really good villain material, way too simple. Benjamin and zhang lei are, however, pretty good.

Luzurus is the dark horse among the elder princes imo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like Tserriednich is the perfect villain to follow up Meruem honestly, though I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment or I'd say why.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I feel like Tserriednich is the perfect villain to follow up Meruem honestly, though I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment or I'd say why.

He's like the Kira after our DIO. A terrifying villain who is scary because we see his evil in such an intimate way that's easy to imagine in our own lives as oppose to a global monster thread.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bad Seafood posted:

Itd feel like a bit of a wet fart if all of this build up and the sheer amount of tension and intrigue in this arc ended with the whims of simplistic "im just Evil" villain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Itd feel like a bit of a wet fart if all of this build up and the sheer amount of tension and intrigue in this arc ended with the whims of simplistic "im just Evil" villain.

He's definitely ramping up to be the most individually powerful of the Princes due to learning Nen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like anybody from the Kakin Royal Family is gonna make it out alive.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Ben's gonna end up wishing he'd just charged into Nich's room and snapped his neck

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TurkeyFried posted:

Ben's gonna end up wishing he'd just charged into Nich's room and snapped his neck

And according to the rules he literally could have done so... were it not for the hunters protecting nich

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That's kinda sorta what I'm batting at though. Meruem was a human monster, Tserriednich is a monstrous human.

If I can talk about something else here for a minute, with the intention of bringing it back to Hunter x Hunter, I've always liked how the villain of the original Fallout, the Master, was his far-flung visionary, whereas the replacement bad guys in Fallout 2, the Enclave, were kinda all bureaucratic, self-absorbed sticks in the mud. The Master's evil, yes, but his evil was in response to fixing what he believed to be the fundamental flaws of the human race. You defeat him, of course, for the sake of humanity, but that includes all humans everywhere, the good and the bad, and the Enclave which embodies everything the Master hated about humanity. In the first game you have to save the human race from an external threat, but in the second game you're essentially saving the human race from itself - or at least from our own worst aspects. It's a cool thematic through-line.

So yeah, I like that after having a villain (Meruem) who threatens the human race, but is otherwise surprisingly nuanced and sympathetic, we get a villain (Tserriednich) who is human himself, yet inhuman. Tserriednich is exactly the sort of person Meruem would never have tolerated in his "Enlightened" kingdom, unworthy of his station, unworthy of life. We've held off the monsters from the outside; now we need to turn inward.

For the record, since Emmy brought it up, I feel like Dio and Kira work similarly, though not quite.

But regardless, this arc is obviously shaping up to be far more than just Kurapika verses Tserriednich, so even if everything I just typed is nonsense (of a coincidence), I don't think Tserriednich being the villain Kurapkia has the most personal beef with drags it down, since there are plenty of other villainous characters to accent Tserriednich's role in the story.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I don't think this arc is gonna have a main villain, just multiple villainous princes and possibly the spiders. Tserriednich is Kurapika's main goal and a clear threat but I don't think he's going to be the only one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's all one big clusterfuck now, before spiders and hisoka get involved. beyond and the remaining zodiacs may or may not jump in, as well.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

AtomikKrab posted:

And according to the rules he literally could have done so... were it not for the hunters protecting nich

He was going to go do it (to every other Prince, too), but he held back after thinking more about the Nen Beasts and Kurapika.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don't think this arc is gonna have a main villain, just multiple villainous princes and possibly the spiders. Tserriednich is Kurapika's main goal and a clear threat but I don't think he's going to be the only one.

Oh, of course not. Setting aside that Chrollo's here and all, Benjamin, for all his development, is still a monstrous individual who intends to kill all his siblings (including the baby) and whatnot. I mean, I'd bet on Tserriednich being the final bad guy, not counting ones who survive the arc (so, Hisoka and maybe some Spiders) and thus the "main" one in that sense + being Kurapika's big target, but he's not going to be the only threat or even the most pressing one for a while.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's all one big clusterfuck now, before spiders and hisoka get involved. beyond and the remaining zodiacs may or may not jump in, as well.

I think this story is going to be divided in three arcs:
1. Battle Royale between the princes, Kurapica involved
2. Chrollo and Spiders vs Hisoka. Maybe Kurapica involved?
3. Hunter association group vs Beyond group

I think the current Arc is complex enough, even for Togashi, and won't complicate things putting for example Pariston's men in the middle of the succession war.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

He's definitely ramping up to be the most individually powerful of the Princes due to learning Nen.

Benjamin already has nen learned though, and there are hints that the arrogant princess might also be a very powerful nen user. So I wouldn't say he is ramping up to be personally powerful as much as scary.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I more or less expect the Dark Continent with the Zodiacs and stuff to be a separate arc from the boat ride there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I more or less expect the Dark Continent with the Zodiacs and stuff to be a separate arc from the boat ride there.

Same. This first leg of the expedition probably won't have much to do with Ging, Pariston and the Zodiacs, but the Zodiacs will probably still be involved with regards to the Succession War once civilians start getting involved.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think there's any doubt. The succession war arc is to the dark continent arc as Yorknew was to Greed Island. The characters have a goal (obtaining Greed Island and reaching the dark continent) and we know what they plan to do once they get there (beat Greed Island and explore the dark continent) but there's an entire arc full of unrelated/unforeseen consequences on the way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/greednyaland/status/891820586112090112

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Thinking about it, as oblique as it is, this is actually the first time I've ever seen a weed reference in shounen. Togashi really pushing the envelope there.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
why are they called the spiders when there are twelve of them? spiders are 8-themed.

edit: when there *were* twelve.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mimir posted:

why are they called the spiders when there are twelve of them? spiders are 8-themed.

edit: when there *were* twelve.

Toxic runoff

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Weren't there originally 13 of them, with Hisoka joining a little before Heaven's Arena / Yorknew happened? 12 legs AND the head (Chrollo)

Besides, 12-legged Spiders sounds strangely feasible in a world with far more horrifying creatures.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Just wanted to point out that Meruem became a human monster. He started out as pretty much Sauron evil.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Wark Say posted:

Weren't there originally 13 of them, with Hisoka joining a little before Heaven's Arena / Yorknew happened? 12 legs AND the head (Chrollo)

Besides, 12-legged Spiders sounds strangely feasible in a world with far more horrifying creatures.

Yep, 13 total members to start. Hisoka replaced the previous #4.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There were also members that got replaced that we never see or hear about. Shizuku replaced (presumably by killing) a previous member like Hisoka did.
I wonder if there will be any new spiders in this arc? Kalluto took Hisoka's spit, but what about Uvo's or Paku's? It's been at least 2 years since we last saw their whole team together.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

There were also members that got replaced that we never see or hear about. Shizuku replaced (presumably by killing) a previous member like Hisoka did.
I wonder if there will be any new spiders in this arc? Kalluto took Hisoka's spit, but what about Uvo's or Paku's? It's been at least 2 years since we last saw their whole team together.

I think there was a reference to Pakunoda and Uvogin getting replacements at some point, although I can't remember where.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Silva (Killua's old man) also killed a Spider at some point, right?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

turboraton posted:

Just wanted to point out that Meruem became a human monster. He started out as pretty much Sauron evil.

meruem was alive for like only a loving month too. honestly considering he was the apex predator hes only evil insomuch as it seems weird to us as humans, he was following his biological impetus for the early parts. like we dont say a lion is evil if it eats a poacher or whatever.

its almost miraculous how ridiculously fast he came around to the idea of intrinsic worth and grew as a person, hell if he had another month he might have even given up on the idea of "only some" humans living

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just started the chimera ant arc and things are getting pretty wierd.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I just started the chimera ant arc and things are getting pretty wierd.

Be on the lookout for the BEST CHARACTER IN THE SERIES

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sea Sponge Run posted:

That could be literally anyone.

Chimera arc was so loving good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pierson posted:

That could be literally anyone.

Chimera arc was so loving good.

PLS, he is talking about Cheetu.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sea Sponge Run posted:

leorio isnt in the chimera ant arc

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Turin Turambar posted:

PLS, he is talking about Cheetu.

She's talking about Knuckle Bine, the Absolute Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mighty Dicktron posted:

She's talking about Knuckle Bine, the Absolute Boy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ2qJOU8FPc