Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

The Bloop posted:

That is a great bit, but maybe don't
Lol @ complaining about spoilers in the Splatoon 2 single player campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
You'd think that by overachiever people would know not to shoot the goddamn fan before the other players that just picked up the golden eggs from the same boss as you are on the platform.

JackDarko posted:

Every one of us is an overachiever and it’s the third wave. Quota met, my teammates are all splatted. I turn tail, and book it. Their cries for HELP become BOOYAHS as the timer nearly reaches zero. I dodge two Stinger rays; two Flyers barrages, and we clear the wave. What a satisfying game mode, this practically happened 3 times today. Learning to not be a hero in Salmon run when you’ve met Quota and time is about done has been conducive to success.

Just had a similar run. Wave 3 on the beach with fog. We were over quota with ten seconds left and I notice everyone is splatted but me. There were two steelheads, two grillers, and a stinger coming after me (that I could see, fog and all). Just painted a path with my mini splatling to the other side of the map where nothing was spawning. Next thing you know, I'm a profreshional.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 2, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bill Barber posted:

Lol @ complaining about spoilers in the Splatoon 2 single player campaign.

:goonsay:

Dick move dude

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Every one of us is an overachiever and it’s the third wave. Quota met, my teammates are all splatted. I turn tail, and book it. Their cries for HELP become BOOYAHS as the timer nearly reaches zero. I dodge two Stinger rays; two Flyers barrages, and we clear the wave. What a satisfying game mode, this practically happened 3 times today. Learning to not be a hero in Salmon run when you’ve met Quota and time is about done has been conducive to success.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I love the moment of despair turning to triumph. Cowards do tend to live longer.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Owers posted:

That, and the Drizzler. That rain cloud attack is deceptively powerful, and not many people seem to realise you can shoot down the missile before it has a chance to create one. If you see a floating green football, for the love of god take it out. It takes like two shots. You can even defeat the Drizzler instantly if you deflect the missile back at it, though it's nearly impossible to do.

Key to reflecting the rocket back is positioning yourself to directly face where it was launched from. Look at where the drizzler is aiming and try to stand there. If you are positioned right, this will almost always result in the rocket flying back in its face. It can be wonky though with certain weapons like the dualies, presumably due to the dual hitbox.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Speaking of dualies, they're ruined for me since I'm so used to playing with the brush. I constantly try to mash jump while shooting and send myself careening off into a giant enemy or even worse into the loving ocean.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I finally decided I would try to play paintbrush in ranked.
The team had 2 other brush users against another 3 brush team.
I don't think I'll ever use the brush again, it was a terrible experience.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The thing I have learned to fear most in this game are people who have mastered the Dualies. Really hard to hit because they can just dodge roll out of the way several times and can gun down anyone in firefights in a matter of seconds.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The thing I have learned to fear most in this game are people who have mastered the Dualies. Really hard to hit because they can just dodge roll out of the way several times and can gun down anyone in firefights in a matter of seconds.

They can dodge twice before they have to take a breather. Keep a bead on 'em, try to outrange them, and above all, don't panic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah my 3 favorite weapons right now are Dualies, Squiffer Dualies, and the Zapper. Splatting fools before they have any time to react, and if the get the drop on me I'm crazy mobile so I can usually squid, sneak around, and shoot them before they can manage to adjust aim.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Squelcher dualies are my favorite because they let you do something that was never intended.
The dodge feature was meant to break distance but because they're so longrange the weapon actually just has a free disengage that makes it nearly impossible to die if you know what you're doing.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

You'd think that by overachiever people would know not to shoot the goddamn fan before the other players that just picked up the golden eggs from the same boss as you are on the platform.

I'll leave people behind 100% of the time in that situation. For getting eggs back and moving on to boss killing, time is crucial. Painting the sides of the elevator platform so you can get up it at any height is the real key.

I'm constantly getting crushed in ranked mode here in Japan, but the trade-off is my salmon run clear rate with pubs at profreshional is about 60%.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mongoose posted:

I'll leave people behind 100% of the time in that situation. For getting eggs back and moving on to boss killing, time is crucial. Painting the sides of the elevator platform so you can get up it at any height is the real key.

Except stingers gently caress that up so all you're doing by raising the elevator first is probably getting someone killed if there are any enemies around and they weren't expecting a wall to be raised in their face. Don't do that, its dumb.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Wait 2 seconds and all use the elevator. It's the right move.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can turn your camera to confirm someone is coming and waste maybe a second while saving them time. Or you can raise the elevator right away and risk the team member being on one of the sides not inked/the side shot up by stingers. Then they get mashed against the wall by a steel eel and you have to waste way more time reviving them.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, you guys are right. If people are a few steps away from the lift and heading towards it, or the situation is dangerous it's best to wait.

I do think painting walls (especially the elevator walls) and using them liberally is really helpful for speeding up your movement and dodging the salmon that get disrupted easily by height. A lot of people overlook the shortcuts and run up the ramps / use the elevator as intended every time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

That is a great bit, but maybe don't

There's pretty much nothing to spoil here. We all knew drat-well who the final boss is gonna be, and the other part of has been telegraphed in flashing neon lights for months. By Nintendo themselves, no less. I'm generally all for keeping big reveals and the like spoiler-tagged, but there is absolutely nothing there that people haven't already guessed ages ago.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

Lol @ complaining about final boss spoilers in a nintendo game
ftfy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah the only reason to leave people behind is if you're going lost immediately if you don't. There's really no good reason to do so otherwise. I've lost games because people couldn't wait one second for everyone to get on.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It's the worst when you're in danger down there and you've got a weapon that can't ink the side quickly. However if the team's just splatted a lot of salmon down there, we're running a bunch of eggs and it's relatively safe, I won't bother waiting

Slinky Weasel
Oct 20, 2009
Here's a tower control tip for you newbs out there; more squids on the tower make it move faster, but don't have your whole team on there. I got my first quad a bit ago, the first shot took out 3 people at once and then I tap shotted the last person to death. >>

Also that choke-point in Port towers is insane. If you manage to get it under 30 points you pretty much have the match.

Slinky Weasel fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 2, 2017

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think I found the one thing the Sting Ray is good for: Salmon Run.

Not only can you use it to revive idiot teammates from the other side of the map, you can also just use it to shoot Flyfish out of the sky without any of that tedious mucking around with bombs :aaa:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Yeah, the Stingray is deceptively powerful in Salmon Run. You can bypass most bosses' bullshit with it instead of loving around with Steelhead bombs or Drizzler umbrellas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know what the loving deal is with the sudden rush of furry artwork in graffiti posts today, but I can only assume it's because people keep rightfully reporting them all. I know I sure have been.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know what the loving deal is with the sudden rush of furry artwork in graffiti posts today, but I can only assume it's because people keep rightfully reporting them all. I know I sure have been.

I literally just saw one that said "the furries are the only ones that know how to draw"

I don't even know how to respond to that kinda meta post.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There was a post in the plaza where someone said stop drawing furries. People drew those in response.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

no anthropomorphic sex cartoons please i am trying to masturbate to the tv squid girl THANKYOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wish you could get Freshness bonuses in ranked. Trying to do Turf Wars with a luna blaster is...hard.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

We lasted into the third wave, where we timed out because we were having trouble with the number of baddies. I was really surprised at this guy's score - I'd seen them leading a brawler directly away from the low tide zone toward the stern but didn't notice they weren't actually shooting anything

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 2, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Holy poo poo thanks for spoiling the final boss rear end in a top hat on the previous page.

Like I get it that it's not a big part of the game, but seriously, majorly dick move dude.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My favorite thing about the Switch and Splatoon 2 is when the Switch decides that the best point to lose connection to my joycon (but only the left one) is when I try to hit down on the d-pad to choose "Exit" so that I do not continue matchmaking.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

DaveKap posted:

My favorite thing about the Switch and Splatoon 2 is when the Switch decides that the best point to lose connection to my joycon (but only the left one) is when I try to hit down on the d-pad to choose "Exit" so that I do not continue matchmaking.

Get that sent in for repair, dude. It's a known defect that takes less than a week to get sent off to fix. Your squidding experience will be much improved.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Reminder to put single player content behind spoilers. Not everyone is a cellar dwelling no-life with infinite free time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
My headset arrived, just in time for Splatfest!

That I'm going to miss, because I'll be out of town this weekend.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My headset arrived, just in time for Splatfest!

That I'm going to miss, because I'll be out of town this weekend.
That excuse might have worked during the Wii U era, but this is a Nintendo Switch game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Rexroom posted:

That excuse might have worked during the Wii U era, but this is a Nintendo Switch game.

My friend doesn't have wifi.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've still yet to get beyond part-timer in salmon run because I constantly get the worst loving players

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Deleter posted:

Get that sent in for repair, dude. It's a known defect that takes less than a week to get sent off to fix. Your squidding experience will be much improved.
Are the neon yellow arms joycons also missing the metallic sponge? I just assumed it was the fact that I have like half a dozen wireless signals going off near my Switch that was causing the (actually very rare) joycon disconnects.

Frankston posted:

I've still yet to get beyond part-timer in salmon run because I constantly get the worst loving players
The kinds of losses I faced while being just 1 win behind Profreshional was such a grueling, sadistic experience that finally becoming Profreshional made me feel like I blew my Splatoon load and didn't play for like 5 days straight. It feels real good, just keep trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's one of those memes that only gets going because people hate it.
Gone are the days of Spongebob jokes, we have this poo poo to deal with now.