Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DivisionPost posted:

Speaking of which, I recently found out Miguel Ángel Fuentes is still kicking around the Mexican Telenovela circuit and will even show up in the occasional American production (Texas Rising, most recently), which kinda makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

That is loving great to hear

Legit

He was the hero of that film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

Speaking of which, I recently found out Miguel Ángel Fuentes is still kicking around the Mexican Telenovela circuit and will even show up in the occasional American production (Texas Rising, most recently), which kinda makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Spotting him just hanging around in the background as a random henchman is literally the only thing I remember about the movie Blow.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

DivisionPost posted:

He's also in the Rifftrax of Bermuda Triangle, which I highly recommend. There are many Pumaman callbacks.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Saw the showing of "Eegah!" here in PDX tonight. They must be just raking in the dough on merchandise on this tour.

I'd completely blocked out how creepy parts of the film were. "Here, daughter of mine. Pretend to drink this nasty water or he might sexually harass you." WTF?

Also, BANG

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The violent gargling almost made me fall out of my chair.

Jet Jaguar posted:

They must be just raking in the dough on merchandise on this tour.
I was relieved when I saw all sorts of neat :10bux: things. I'm used to seeing posters start at around $40 at concerts. Love the pins, I ended up with

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So, about that next DVD collection:

MST3K on Facebook posted:

An update from Shout! Factory about MST3K Volume XXXIX and future DVD releases:

- The set will be available Nov. 21, 2017, and available for pre-order on the Shout! Factory website and Amazon later this week. We hope you’ll share this update with your readers.

- It will be a four-disc set, here are the titles:

The Amazing Transparent Man
Girls Town
Diabolik
“Satellite Dishes”

- The 4th disc, called “Satellite Dishes” is a collection of the host segments from episodes from the remaining unreleased episodes. They are:

Ep #201 Rocketship X-M
Ep #212 Godzilla Vs. Megalon
Ep #213 Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster
Ep #309 The Amazing Colossal Man
Ep #311 It Conquered the World
Ep #416 Fire Maidens from Outer Space
Ep #418 The Eye Creatures
Ep #807 Terror from the Year 5000
Ep #809 I Was A Teenage Werewolf
Ep #905 The Deadly Bees
Ep #906 The Space Children
Ep #913 Quest of the Delta Knights

- Despite our best efforts to include the remaining unreleased episodes, due to licensing issues, it is very likely that Volume 39 will be the last collection of never-before-released episodes, and that these remaining episodes may never get a legitimate release. With this in mind, we decided the next best option was to release the remaining host segments by themselves.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In bummed about Quest of the Delta Knights. How the hell is that worth anything to anyone?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

business hammocks posted:

In bummed about Quest of the Delta Knights. How the hell is that worth anything to anyone?

I'd say David Warner is trying to make sure it never sees the light of day again, but he's in the Malcom McDowell class of "will take the work I can get, no shame" thespians.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, at least they got Diabolik for the final box set. Seems fitting.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Girls Town is one of those movies that I'd be perfectly happy to watch unriffed if I happened across it on a Sunday afternoon and didn't have anything better to do.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Here's how the rights are for the "MIA" titles:

Rocketship X-M is owned by Wade Williams. While he licensed other titles before, he apparently finds the film "special" to him and won't license it.

The two Godzillas are obviously owned by Toho and likely to remain MIA if they made Rhino take Megalon out of print. I think the US rights are also with Classic Media, which is now part of Dreamworks/Paramount.

The Amazing Colossal Man, It Conquered the World, Terror from the Year 5000, and I Was a Teenage Werewolf are all owned by the Samuel Z. Arkoff estate and they apparently want an absurd amount of money to license the films, which is why they've remained MIA even unriffed.

Attack of the the Eye Creatures seems to be part of the AIP library (owned by MGM), so I'm confused to what rights issues could be holding it back. It seems to be a remake of a film that's part of the Arkoff Estate holdings, so perhaps that's why.

Fire Maidens from Outer Space, The Deadly Bees, and The Space Children are owned by Paramount (who also owns Girls Town and Diabolik), but currently licensed to Olive Films, who has put out recent DVD/Blu-Rays of the unriffed films. My guess is that Olive isn't able to sublicense the films to Shout! while they have the rights due to a contract or something.

No idea what's holding back Quest of the Delta Knights. Last video release was from Hemdale Home Video, which later became part of MGM.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 1, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Still, managing to do official releases of all but 12 out of ~190 episodes is pretty good.

But yeah, seriously movie owners just release the drat things. There's no reason not to.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

No idea what's holding back Quest of the Delta Knights. Last video release was from Hemdale Home Video, which later became part of MGM.

MGM? Shouldn't Joel be able to get the rights for the change in his pocket and a half-eaten Jolly Rancher?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
At this point you'd think these companies would just do it to avoid being one of the last holdouts and thus getting nerds banging their door down about it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Light Gun Man posted:

At this point you'd think these companies would just do it to avoid being one of the last holdouts and thus getting nerds banging their door down about it.

Toho gives absolutely zero shits about that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HannibalBarca posted:

Toho gives absolutely zero shits about that.

How the hell did they allow Godzilla '98 to be made? They should give Shout the rights to atone for that.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Girls Town is one of those movies that I'd be perfectly happy to watch unriffed if I happened across it on a Sunday afternoon and didn't have anything better to do.

Girls Town is loving awesome. Mel Torme, Paul Anka and Mimi Van Doren? Come on!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mister Kingdom posted:

How the hell did they allow Godzilla '98 to be made? They should give Shout the rights to atone for that.

Godzilla 98 is why they're such hard asses about the license

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

drrockso20 posted:

Godzilla 98 is why they're such hard asses about the license

They could offset some of that loss with an MST3K release!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mister Kingdom posted:

They could offset some of that loss with an MST3K release!

Toho takes their films pretty seriously and isn't gonna give the rights away just to be parodied or "disrespected." They're insane hardasses about rights and licensing in every way. They once scuttled a DVD release of a film that wasn't available stateside because some unauthorized behind the scenes photos made it into the special features. This was a movie from 1972, mind you.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Reince Penis posted:

Mel Torme is the heavy, too!
"Careful, it's where my Velvet Fog emanates from!"

Also, time immortal line, "We're married now, right?!"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

HannibalBarca posted:

Toho takes their films pretty seriously and isn't gonna give the rights away just to be parodied or "disrespected." They're insane hardasses about rights and licensing in every way. They once scuttled a DVD release of a film that wasn't available stateside because some unauthorized behind the scenes photos made it into the special features. This was a movie from 1972, mind you.

It's also possible that the Godzilla movies were never supposed to be licensed in the first place. Wikipedia says Megalon was incorrectly assumed to be in the public domain for some time and I doubt Film Ventures International properly licensed it from Toho directly. That's exactly how the initial DVD ended up being an issue - the rights holder Rhino was dealing with didn't actually have the rights.

After doing some more research, I think The Eye Creatures might be owned by Retromedia since the DVD was from them. Also, I wonder if Shout! would be able to pull a "switcheroo" by licensing the three Paramount/Olive episodes to Olive Films rather than licensing the films.

Maybe after rights become available in the future, Shout! can capitalize on them being "lost" episodes.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Glad Diabolik and Girls Town made it to the final set. Both are classics.

I really want to know more about what's up with Delta Knights. The rights issues for the other episodes all make sense, but who the hell is holding up Delta Knights?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I'd say David Warner is trying to make sure it never sees the light of day again, but he's in the Malcom McDowell class of "will take the work I can get, no shame" thespians.

He did a Random Roles for the AV Club recently and even mentioned that it was on MST. Seemed quite amused by that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Ballz posted:

I really want to know more about what's up with Delta Knights. The rights issues for the other episodes all make sense, but who the hell is holding up Delta Knights?

My understanding: they literally don't know who owns the rights to it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

Mel Torme is the heavy, too!
"Careful, it's where my Velvet Fog emanates from!"

Also, time immortal line, "We're married now, right?!"

The rest of Girls Town is a lot of fun but the part where they just straight up string along the poor deluded girl is gross.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The rest of Girls Town is a lot of fun but the part where they just straight up string along the poor deluded girl is gross.

I always, always mix up Girls Town and Kitten With A Whip. I was really confused by this post until I remembered "Oh, right Girls Town is the one with the stalker girl that gets tricked into committing herself"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Reince Penis posted:

Also Elinor Donohue. :heysexy:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

I always, always mix up Girls Town and Kitten With A Whip. I was really confused by this post until I remembered "Oh, right Girls Town is the one with the stalker girl that gets tricked into committing herself"

She's in love with teen heartthrob Paul Anka and he does everything possible to let her continue believing he has feelings back.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When she eventually becomes a nun, I always think, "And now she's stalking Jesus."

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Senior Woodchuck posted:

When she eventually becomes a nun, I always think, "And now she's stalking Jesus."

I'm happy now. Really.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

muscles like this! posted:

She's in love with teen heartthrob Paul Anka and he does everything possible to let her continue believing he has feelings back.

Basically, Anka is a dick.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
He's just a lonely boy.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ms Boods posted:

He's just a lonely boy.

:hmbol:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Ms Boods posted:

He's just a lonely boy.

somebody
SOMEBODY
SOMEBODY
SOMEBODY

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Someone on reddit gave me a free ticket to the KC show tomorrow. Hope its good.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mantis42 posted:

Someone on reddit gave me a free ticket to the KC show tomorrow. Hope its good.

Wow I can't belive the Sunshine Band is still touring after all these years!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Maxwell Lord posted:

He did a Random Roles for the AV Club recently and even mentioned that it was on MST. Seemed quite amused by that.

They went pretty easy on him in the riffs unlike some of the other times a slumming actor took a role in an MST3K movie for a paycheck.

"In it for the money, folks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
If you order Volume XXXIX from Shout, you get the Complete Poopie disc as a bonus.

quote:

MST3K: The Complete Poopie!

Everyone poopies, and even the maestros of comedy aboard the Satellite of Love weren’t immune to the occasional blooper. After years on the air, those added up, and the result is a wonderful collection of mishaps, line flubs and crack-ups. Poopie! chronicled the outtakes from Seasons 2-6. Poopie II! added seasons 7 & 8 to the mix, and Poopie Parade Of Values was the gang’s unique take on an infomercial to shill the VHS tapes of Poopie! and the MST Scrapbook being sold by the MST3K Info Club. So if you’re anal about Poopie, this definitive collection will be cause for the kind of celebration you should probably keep to yourself.