Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Condoning drug use in sports is tantamount to requiring it for success. If it is an explicit necessity to use, not only will everyone use, but people will be obliged to push the amount they use as much as possible, well passed safe limits. People will start using younger, and will start dying more often. No one at the highest level will pull back from the brink if they think it will make the difference between 5th or 6th, and a podium finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Condoning drug use in sports is tantamount to requiring it for success. If it is an explicit necessity to use, not only will everyone use, but people will be obliged to push the amount they use as much as possible, well passed safe limits. People will start using younger, and will start dying more often. No one at the highest level will pull back from the brink if they think it will make the difference between 5th or 6th, and a podium finish.

I honestly can't wait for the bionics issue to really come into play.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Could you have mixed fights in MMA or boxing? I feel like that might be controversial but I'm not sure.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

Could you have mixed fights in MMA or boxing? I feel like that might be controversial but I'm not sure.

You could, but you shouldn't unless you want to kill people.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
as long as you stick to weight classes it would probably be okay

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As Ronda Rousey has said when asked about fighting men, it's a really bad look to have a crowd of people cheering while a man beats on a woman, even if it's a competition.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough, that didn't occur to me.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There's a huge difference in physical strength between men and women even across the same weightclass. Talent and ability can outdo power and speed but within limits. Fencing is a good example where plenty of the top women have superior technique to their male counterparts but would still lose out to the power and speed difference. By merging them into one group you'd lose out on a lot of great athletes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Classic fencing response

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Classic fencing response

Now that's how you catchphrase!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mu Zeta posted:

Also legalize steroids for athletes under medical supervision. The movie stars do it already and kids look up to them. I guarantee Ben Affleck took them to bulk up for Batman. Stop pretending sports people are heroes for children and instead let's find out how far we can push our bodies through hardcore science.
I'd just say that sports organisations should stop trying to be their own police. Let the police handle illegal drugs and stop giving a poo poo about legal ones. Oh, and stop acting surprised every time an elite athlete is found to have used drugs or cheated in some way. Of course they have, that's why they're an elite athlete. How do you think the ones who haven't been caught yet are staying competitive with the ones who have? By doing the exact same thing and getting away with it (so far).

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Anyway the system is fine as it is (for most sports - maybe it'd work in something like tennis but who cares about tennis). All you'd do by making just one league is keep 99.9% of women out of professional sports. There's clearly a market for them (albeit not as large) at least in basketball and sports like that, so why get rid of them so the tiny handful (if any) that would be qualified could play in the NBA?
So what is the argument for not having men and women compete in tennis?

Also, you could always make the top level competition open to the best regardless of gender while still having separate mens and womens competitions as well.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

You say that like as though that's not how it already is. It's just that everyone pretends not to know about it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tiggum posted:

You say that like as though that's not how it already is. It's just that everyone pretends not to know about it.

Not that you're wrong but that's still worlds different from out and out condoning it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tiggum posted:

So what is the argument for not having men and women compete in tennis?

quote:

Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[51] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[52][53] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[54] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[55] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun".[56] Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Make an enhanced league and a non-enhanced league, and if you're caught doping in the non-enhanced league all your medals are confiscated, all your records stricken, and you receive a lifetime ban from all professional sports and may no longer receive any income in relation to the sport.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Making it so that the only way you can succeed in sports is to take damaging drugs is actually kind of hosed

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Saagonsa posted:

Making it so that the only way you can succeed in sports is to take damaging drugs is actually kind of hosed

Can't be a sumo wrestler without being morbidly obese, so...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fruit on the bottom posted:

Make an enhanced league and a non-enhanced league, and if you're caught doping in the non-enhanced league all your medals are confiscated, all your records stricken, and you receive a lifetime ban from all professional sports and may no longer receive any income in relation to the sport.

Bodybuilding has tested and non-tested events. They're still all juicing.

Saagonsa posted:

Damaging long term, super-amazing short term. People do worse to themselves without the lure of money and fame and beating the other guys.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"People have done worse" is the worst argument possible.

Former East German athletes have been committing suicide and dying in agony en masse for years now that their substance abuse caught up with them. And it is made worse by the fact they didn't even have a choice, they either took the dope, or they were prevented from competing. No reason to believe matters would be less coerced nowadays, in a different country with equally "liberal" attitudes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also if you are OK with watching people kill themselves for your entertainment, you are an actual monster, plain and simple.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Up until this last century, murder as a spectator sport had been a choice social event for thousands of years. It's the prostitute of entertainment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And people were OK with slavery or hanging people for stealing bread. Doesn't make those things fine either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

And people were OK with slavery or hanging people for stealing bread. Doesn't make those things fine either.

A multitude of people still are.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wasn't saying it did, I just wanted to use that last sentence real bad.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

A multitude of people still are.

Don't look at me. I pay my employees a (slave's) wages.

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk
Potatoes taste like crap

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
They are the Apple of the Earth, you watch your God damned mouth.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Potatopinion: mashed potatoes are better with the skin left on. I wish more restaurants did it that way.

Also waffle fry is the superior form of fry.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Potatopinion: mashed potatoes are better with the skin left on. I wish more restaurants did it that way.

You're good people, yeah I eat rear end.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baked potatoes are better done in the microwave than an oven.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sunswipe posted:

Baked potatoes are better done in the microwave than an oven.

Perhaps the most wrong opinion ever posted ITT. Enjoy your slimy soggy skin I guess.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sassassin posted:

Bodybuilding has tested and non-tested events. They're still all juicing.

Damaging long term, super-amazing short term. People do worse to themselves without the lure of money and fame and beating the other guys.

What are the consequences for getting caught? Cuz I'm thinking zero tolerance, no appeal, totally blacklisted, and retroactively erased in the records. As if you were never competing to begin with.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

What are the consequences for getting caught? Cuz I'm thinking zero tolerance, no appeal, totally blacklisted, and retroactively erased in the records. As if you were never competing to begin with.

Isn't that proving to be a problem in cycling? Sure I heard that they've got years worth of Tour de France that now have no winner because they can't tell if anyone competing was clean.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Crossfit has loose standards when it comes to drug testing, but then again they encourage people to snap their backs by lifting barbells 200 times in a row.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

Isn't that proving to be a problem in cycling? Sure I heard that they've got years worth of Tour de France that now have no winner because they can't tell if anyone competing was clean.

See I want more of this. I like this.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

steinrokkan posted:

Also if you are OK with watching people kill themselves for your entertainment, you are an actual monster, plain and simple.

What profession does not boil down to slowly killing yourself to get ahead?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

starkebn posted:

as long as you stick to weight classes it would probably be okay

What? No dude. A 115lb male wrestler against a female wrestler of the same weight would utterly destroy her

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jesus was probably:

a) black
b) communist
c) gay
d) arab
e) a mix of all above

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Now I don't feel bad for ignoring his teachings.

:haw:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
im c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

Jesus was probably:

a) black
b) communist
c) gay
d) arab
e) a mix of all above

Let's be honest: he also probably smelled like everyone did back then. I don't really imagine Jesus putting on deoderant