Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It just sounded like people not communicating with each other very well, resulting in, perhaps misplaced anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Meh, I feel like in this instance due to the father's identity there's interesting directions they can take it in. Plus one of this show's big things is taking hacky plots and twisting them; Lawnmower Dog and Raising Gazorpazorp come to mind specifically.
They were married five years, if that ends with a surprise pregnancy it would be stupid AH (as heck).

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelticPredator posted:

It just sounded like people not communicating with each other very well, resulting in, perhaps misplaced anger.

for me it's more that harmon and roiland were paying their animators 40-hour wages for 60-hour work weeks, without offering benefits like employer health insurance

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fancy Hat! posted:

Honestly the least believable part of this episode was establishing that cannibalism is somewhere Rick isnt willing to go to. (Atleast not to simply prove a point to Morty)

He totally tasted it though, so it wasn't like some major scruple. He was just like 'eh, pass, maybe next time'

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

They were married five years, if that ends with a surprise pregnancy it would be stupid AH (as heck).

3 weeks.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bloom posted:

Yeah it was very much fantasy/medieval, it was strange to see a jump from Mad Max mutants to knights in armor in a castle without any comment.

Also I don't make a habit of watching R&M youtube vids, but after finding the s3 trailer today to show a friend this immediately started popping up in my recommendations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHVfCyElW0 Two hours after being uploaded too, YT recs are scary accurate sometimes.

I agree this episode also felt off because they didnt to the A/B plot which is rather good I normally dont notice when they dont do it.

I almost think a few scenes with robomorty getting that pay off would have been good.

Or drop the morty arm story have him and rick do something else and just have the beth arc.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdK-Zhk6u0

Sorry, Jerry loving Worm Jerry might be the funniest piece of fanart I ever saw

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 2, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zeal posted:

for me it's more that harmon and roiland were paying their animators 40-hour wages for 60-hour work weeks, without offering benefits like employer health insurance

I don't think they control the payroll but I'll be honest I don't know what a showrunner does outside of the creative aspect

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelticPredator posted:

I don't think they control the payroll but I'll be honest I don't know what a showrunner does outside of the creative aspect

harmon at least was co-founder of both starburns industries and the rick & morty llc set up to produce the show from season 2 onward. i think the show co-creator and part-owner of the production company probably knows what the animators' pay and benefits are

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're dumb af (as gently caress) lol (laughing on line)

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Um, hello, they already did a surprise pregnancy plot in season 1.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hi, just found this thread, saw new episode, thought it was really good and the show headed in a good direction.

This take was chilled 24 hours in advance, but feeds a party of twelve

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm hoping that the wolf is a metaphor for Jerry's self worth - by the end of the series Jerry will be confident enough to tell the wolf to gently caress off, and by extension no longer be afraid of the wolf who has been tearing his life apart since he walked into it, Rick Sanchez. It would be pretty cool to get a moment where Rick goes to see how Jerry is doing, mostly out of curiosity, only to be told soundly and firmly to just gently caress off and stay out of Jerry's life.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
It's a coyote.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
loooooooserrrrrr

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

zeal posted:

harmon at least was co-founder of both starburns industries and the rick & morty llc set up to produce the show from season 2 onward. i think the show co-creator and part-owner of the production company probably knows what the animators' pay and benefits are

I don't see Harmon as a 'pays attention to the money side of the business' guy. Blame Jeff Russo for that poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Interview with the guy who does the music on the show, with Harmon doing recreations of the kinds of musical requests they've subjected him to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN61CU3njsE

Say Nothing posted:

People are quick at producing fan art.
And that was a great outfit.

Of course it's a great outfit, it's based on a wastelands classic:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I get a feeling a lot of it was the showrunners seeing it as "C'mon, we're in this together, we're a small company trying to put together a work of art here." Not realizing that as soon as you're cutting paychecks and hiring people, you're management, and labor has certain rights in dealing with management, because the two are always somewhat in opposition and the latter has more power than the former.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. It's not good...but it didn't come across like Roiland is a heartless monster. He said he just hated how the whole thing went down.

Also I saw a pic of him and Jhonen Vasquez on Jhonen's instagam. Roiland and Zim would be amazing. Good lord I hope he voices some horrific commercial or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Was it? Huh, I thought they said something about a time jump. I just figured it was one of those cartoon "nobody ages" things, but this makes way more sense.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FactsAreUseless posted:

Was it? Huh, I thought they said something about a time jump. I just figured it was one of those cartoon "nobody ages" things, but this makes way more sense.

Rick compressed the normal marriage relationship by introducing elements of normal society,

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

Rick compressed the normal marriage relationship by introducing elements of normal society,
Right, that makes sense.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coughing Hobo posted:

loooooooserrrrrr

Weird. Normally the wind cries "Mary."

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

In all this discussion about Summer's potential maybe future apocalypse bucket-wearing baby no one has asked the truly important question about Summer, which is whether that face tattoo is now a permanent detail that will recur forever like the cracks in the ground around the house.

Personally I hope so.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Was it? Huh, I thought they said something about a time jump.

They did mention a time jump: three weeks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trauma Tank posted:

In all this discussion about Summer's potential maybe future apocalypse bucket-wearing baby no one has asked the truly important question about Summer, which is whether that face tattoo is now a permanent detail that will recur forever like the cracks in the ground around the house.

Personally I hope so.

I would bet on it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trauma Tank posted:

Personally I hope so.

It doesn't appear in any of the other Summer scenes we saw in the season 3 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeAw6aXHzcY

prefect posted:

I would bet on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzoTb3R2asw

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Morty asking the hard questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtwKWrYT1fE

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Speaking of the trailer, I'm really looking forward to what seems to be an episode when another alternate Rick & Morty attempts to take back their lives (Perhaps another timeline got cronenberged or worse?)

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It doesn't appear in any of the other Summer scenes we saw in the season 3 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeAw6aXHzcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzoTb3R2asw

Hm, a shame. I thought it'd be funny if she had to explain it to some incidental character who just slowly backed away from her afterwards.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

World Famous W posted:

Well, just wait till the next apocalypse.

Literally the best thing for Jerry right now is for Rick to send him to the post apocalypse dimension.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Maybe my favorite gag of the episode is Rick stealing their rock that is powering the society he gave them. Having accomplished his mission in true dick fashion just loving ruins it for everyone because.

Although the loooossseeerrrrrr wind/whisper was also good.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Source your quotes.

Also my dick IQ is longer.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Maybe my favorite gag of the episode is Rick stealing their rock that is powering the society he gave them. Having accomplished his mission in true dick fashion just loving ruins it for everyone because.

On one hand, he did it because he was greedy. On the other hand, he did it to screw over Summer's ex.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
"It's just a show, I should really just relax" : MST3K :: "Stop digging for hidden layers and just be impressed" : Rick and Morty

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean there are layers and deeper things to the show, but like actual things not weird dumb things like "mr poopybutthole is a parasite because this this and this."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Good luck you two, there's a criminal to kill!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

prefect posted:

On one hand, he did it because he was greedy. On the other hand, he did it to screw over Summer's ex.
But Buckethead is probably going to go back to kicking rear end and eating people instead of watching TV all day.

Rick did him a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

Firstly, as mentioned, it was three weeks

Secondly, you know there's no way in hell they'd let how stupid that is go without spinning jokes out of it