Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The thing I liked the most about Persona 5 is that Makoto is not the usual Student Council President and the position is instead portrayed like I've seen in real life (take into account that I've only seen it in Mexican colleges, but I assume it's more or less the same): A glorified gopher for teachers that a poo poo-load of the student body actively dislikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She actually is the typical responsible student council president, them portraying the role a bit more realistically does not change that. She gets a scene where she breaks that mold and then goes right back to it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that they went out of their way to portray it a bit more realistically precisely because it's one of those things that kinda make me go :ughh: in most High School Anime, even the non-fantastic ones.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think if Persona 4 Golden anime and the Persona 3 movie are any indication, you're only getting subs no matter what. It will also be sold at full Japanese Bluray price of $90 direct from Japan.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Wark Say posted:

The thing I liked the most about Persona 5 is that Makoto is not the usual Student Council President and the position is instead portrayed like I've seen in real life (take into account that I've only seen it in Mexican colleges, but I assume it's more or less the same): A glorified gopher for teachers that a poo poo-load of the student body actively dislikes.

idk my student council in my uni was a bunch of people that gave money to the clubs that their friends ran, so the other clubs had to struggle and fight for money all the time

so like every anime where the student council are villains

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So my girlfriend loves stuff like Dragon Age and indeed, she's what got me into WRPG's. In terms of JRPG's though she's only played a bit of the FFXIII games. I was thinking she'd love Persona though because she's also a huge anime fan.

Should I just get her Persona 5 'cuz it's the latest one or just lend her my coy of P4G? I've heard several people say P5 is the best one yet and I don't doubt them, but the thing about P3 and onward, it's "the same." I don't mean that in a derogatory way - I merely liked P3 while I absolutely loved P4. But the thing is, that's because P4 refined the formula. Presumably P5 does the same. It's not like if you enjoyed Final Fantasy XII why not go back and also play Final Fantasy VII. The FF games are each incredibly different in every way. But Pesona just kind of builds on itself so it be like, I dunno, playing Civilization II now instead of Civ VI.

I of course still need to play P5. As I am prone to to do, I wandered off even though I was originally super hyped after P 4 G. I'll try and get it next month.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Coughing Hobo posted:

How dare you play with the english voices. Turn in your anime card and pick up a pair of dungarees on your way out.

I've been playing with the English voices, but in my defense, I didn't see a option for it in the Config menu when I first started playing, and later when looking at PS4 dash, I saw that the Japanese dub was available as a download.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So my girlfriend loves stuff like Dragon Age and indeed, she's what got me into WRPG's. In terms of JRPG's though she's only played a bit of the FFXIII games. I was thinking she'd love Persona though because she's also a huge anime fan.

Should I just get her Persona 5 'cuz it's the latest one or just lend her my coy of P4G? I've heard several people say P5 is the best one yet and I don't doubt them, but the thing about P3 and onward, it's "the same." I don't mean that in a derogatory way - I merely liked P3 while I absolutely loved P4. But the thing is, that's because P4 refined the formula. Presumably P5 does the same. It's not like if you enjoyed Final Fantasy XII why not go back and also play Final Fantasy VII. The FF games are each incredibly different in every way. But Pesona just kind of builds on itself so it be like, I dunno, playing Civilization II now instead of Civ VI.

I of course still need to play P5. As I am prone to to do, I wandered off even though I was originally super hyped after P 4 G. I'll try and get it next month.

i mean you should prob get P5 since it's good, but if you don't feel like buying it now i'm sure P4 is fine

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Would she be all that bothered about portability? They're both great games, so either one's a good choice, but if you think she'd prefer to be able to play on the go then P4G may be the better one to try first. That is, assuming she'd be playing on a Vita and not a Vita TV.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Where am I gonna get all the money to get the armor in Ginza's luxury shop. I just wanna dress up nanashi in a pretty dress and samurai costume :(

Also the Master suit is way better than star of hope

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Max Wilco posted:

I've been playing with the English voices, but in my defense, I didn't see a option for it in the Config menu when I first started playing, and later when looking at PS4 dash, I saw that the Japanese dub was available as a download.

Please realize I am joking, as I played with the Japanese voices for all of four minutes before switching back to English and never looking back. Max Mittelman as Ryuji is too good not to have.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the studio's a-1 pictures, not aic. so its probably one of the directors from the persona 3 movies, which were also by a-1 pictures.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh no wait the movies were by aic too i think? i dont even know anymore

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
AIC Did the First Movie and P4 the Animation. A-1 Pictures basically "took over" the Persona related anime adaptations afterwards, if I'm not mistaken (the rest of the P3 movies, P4 the Golden Animation and now P5 The Animation), though Production I.G had already been picked beforehand to handle the anime content in Persona 5. Perhaps it was related to the whole Index Corp thing going down in 2013?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Coughing Hobo posted:

Please realize I am joking, as I played with the Japanese voices for all of four minutes before switching back to English and never looking back. Max Mittelman as Ryuji is too good not to have.

I knew you were kidding. I did briefly consider downloading the JP dub when I realized that it was a separate download, but decided not to bother with it. Apart from it taking up more HDD space, I also really like the English dub.

I was actually surprised that the game got an English dub (and that P3 and P4 did as well). Going in, I figured there was either no voice-acting in the game, or they had just stuck to translating the text and keeping the Japanese voices to cut down on cost of localization.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Going through the 2nd Palace in P5 after Yusuke joins and the game tells you that you need to pick party members either from the Palace Entrance or from the Stats menu. I had already done so from the Stats menu. Warp to the Garden, run in and get into a fight. Suddenly I realise that I only have my MC in my party. Seriously, what the hell, game? Why did you remove everyone from my Party? :argh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

If you want to get someone into JRPGS I think P5 is a much better entry point than P4. I'm not saying it does everything better but it does so much visibly important stuff better it becomes much more accessible - you can sit and talk about characterization and pacing all day but P5 has a loving cat that turns around in a seat then turns into a 2D image smoking a cigar while blood shoots out of the silhouettes of your enemies

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My final time was close to 90 hours and I still got excited with every single All out Attack killscreen

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I've sunk way more than 90 hours into P5 and the AOA screens are still the best. I'm pretty sure they'll never get old, to be honest.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/892708153405562880

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/892708673054621696

I T B E G I N S

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i know that'll probably be another weird 'this takes place during one specific week of p3' thing but it'd rule if they finally brought back the p3 protagonist in a dancing game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
thanks Sega

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm hyped for the spinoffs.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

:sigh:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
holy fuk I can't wait for Junpei and Ryuji to get down

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Where's my 3v3 with Baton Pass tag mechanics Atlus?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Where's my 3v3 with Baton Pass tag mechanics Atlus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Qw-ztFrK4

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
would genuinely like PQ2 if they steal the good mechanics from EO, like skill trees.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Atlus not going under along with the rest of Index was a mistake.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No Baton Pass No Buy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

How dare this company make more games in a popular series that you don't have to buy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
as a person with no ps3/4/any modern console device, I pray that it's coming out on the 3ds despite it being really unlikely.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Persona Q2 is 3DS, P3/5 Dancing is PS4/Vita

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'll play P5 Dancing for sure

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am legitimately excited it is time for spinoffs because that means p5 arena is hopefully on the way.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
HOLY gently caress, I hope Aigis does the robot

Man, I'm getting more hyped for the p3 dancing game than I thought. Never realized how much I like the cast at the end of the day.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

Atlus not going under along with the rest of Index was a mistake.
:mad:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

How dare this company make more games in a popular series that you don't have to buy.

Well at least this time the bad spin-offs are of good games.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is the dancing game one game or two different versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Two different games.