Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Gitro posted:

Oh god I forgot fable 3 did away with silly conventions like health bars, letting you buy property when you loving encounter some and giving you all the basic weapon options when you start actually fighting things. Nope, I'm out.

Hey do you remember fun abilities like slowing down time or summoning poo poo well instead of them being cool spells we made them potions now. Why? Uh well

You forgot that it also removed the ability to choose what interaction you have with NPCs. You just had a generic button instead of a nested wheel of emotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RBA Starblade posted:

Fable 3 sucks a whole lot

A friend of mine tried to show Fable 3 off to me. Bragged about how the endgame was months away and he had a good pile of cash.

Then the months rolled by at a faster rate than he could manage. Choice after choice drained his coffers.

By the endgame his kingdom was in flames and his people's bodies cluttered the streets as he despondently tried to salvage the game.

It was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cythereal posted:

Not singling out any particular game in this regard so much as a trend I've noticed in an awful lot of games in the last several years, especially fantasy games: games, it's not a shock anymore if the primary religion of your world is secretly evil, their leadership is corrupt, they're worshiping eldritch horrors, or what they're worshiping is actually something quite mundane and their beliefs are woefully misguided.

At this point, what would be a shock would be a religion that actually is the force of good it proclaims itself to be and has no dirty secrets to uncover.

Fallout: New Vegas' Honest Hearts DLC is refreshing in this respect. Daniel and Joshua both have religion as a motivating force, but it's their actions you are asked to decide the morality of, not their faith. It's a pretty respectful portrayal, actually.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games did the whole "Item Crafting" mechanic well? A lot of time it's either mostly skippable (Witcher 3) or baffling (Assassin's Creed 3) or just promotes farming for it's own sake (No Man's Buy). There is an appeal to it like how Dark Cloud 2 did it very well. You take photos of everything, and then combine three photos together to come up with an idea for an invention, which you can then make out of a box of scraps. This all works well for verisimilitude because the player character is supposed to be a genius-mechanic in the making.

So what are best examples of Item Crafting? Yes, I've heard of Atelier.

Probably late to the party but, Dead Rising.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Schubalts posted:

You forgot that it also removed the ability to choose what interaction you have with NPCs. You just had a generic button instead of a nested wheel of emotes.

Haha what I thought I only had two unlocked

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So what are best examples of Item Crafting? Yes, I've heard of Atelier.

Oddly enough, Grim Dawn.

You hand the NPC some Scrap, some monster bits that do the thing, some cash, and they just crank out items.
It doesn't pretend to be deep and complex, and that's really refreshing for an ARPG.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Guy Mann posted:

I'll be over here crying into my giant pile of unplayed games that I bought from people who aren't weird autists who think they're above basic commerce.

I spent a shitload of money on games I've never played and never will play because they were on sale. This is proof I'm the reasonable, rational adult who's good with money.

New Butt Order has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Aug 1, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

What I've learned from this thread is that unless you hate the idea of playing as a generic white dude, Victor Vran is the only good ARPG, because every other one just turns into repeating the same content over and over to get slightly higher numbers so you can do things at a slightly higher difficulty.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

bewilderment posted:

every other one just turns into repeating the same content over and over to get slightly higher numbers so you can do things at a slightly higher difficulty.

This is every game with gear based progress.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuebot posted:

This is every game with gear based progress.

The difference (as compared to, say, MMOs) is that you actually get some story and some unique mechanics, and usually the 'hard mode' of a fight will have some revised or all-new mechanics.

However if you've already run all the top-end content and are just running it over and over and over again for the very very slightly better gear then :lol: when it'll be outdated again and you'll be like everyone else when the expansion hits.

Running the same content over and over for gear that has no numerical difference but looks prettier is, of course, entirely understandable and justified.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bewilderment posted:

However if you've already run all the top-end content and are just running it over and over and over again for the very very slightly better gear then :lol: when it'll be outdated again and you'll be like everyone else when the expansion hits.
This is still every gear based game, man. Running rifts forever in diablo hoping for the perfect ancient item is no different from running the same lovely raid in Destiny hoping for an item with one more light than the one you have equipped.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Okay, so I want to revise my complaint about Victor Vran slightly. It turns out that if you actually slot something into the transmutation machine, it shows a concise, understandable set of recipes as well as a progress bar for how much you can pump each statistic using said recipes, and it lets you preview how much you'll get out of a transmutation. This is much, much better than the codex's (read: help file's) explanation, which just makes everything sound completely bonkers. This doesn't change the fact that you have to pump tons of spare drops into a single item to max it out, making it impractical to bother doing. Or that you have to use same-rarity items to boost main stats which means more farming or gambling to try and melt down three lower tier items into a higher tier one.

The other thing dragging the game down are the obnoxious challenges. Most of them are fine or even fun, but "kill X number of enemies without getting hit" in an ARPG is cruel and always seems to crop up in tandem with a new enemy type that's a pain in the rear end to deal with. It's also just plain boring because instead of being cavalier and having fun with the various weapon types, you're far better off meticulously sniping threats from afar. There's also many instances where you can theoretically complete every challenge in one go, but not realistically. So enjoy fighting the same tedious spider boss three times because you have to do it under a time limit, with two challenge totems activated, and without ever dropping below 80% health.

Oh, and the game just now told me that storage is infinite. Through a throwaway line of dialogue triggered via story progression. :doh:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuebot posted:

This is still every gear based game, man. Running rifts forever in diablo hoping for the perfect ancient item is no different from running the same lovely raid in Destiny hoping for an item with one more light than the one you have equipped.

No I'm actually agreeing with you, I stop playing an MMO once I get to the end of the story and I don't want to do any more side content.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Action Tortoise posted:

A friend of mine tried to show Fable 3 off to me. Bragged about how the endgame was months away and he had a good pile of cash.

Then the months rolled by at a faster rate than he could manage. Choice after choice drained his coffers.

By the endgame his kingdom was in flames and his people's bodies cluttered the streets as he despondently tried to salvage the game.

It was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

That's hilarious. I planned ahead for the gently caress you but I had to leave the game on overnight to build up the funds after buying the world out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the final decision you make in the game is labeled as like "97 days remain" with no real indication its the very last thing before kicking off the endgame. Its obvious they couldnt cook both halves of the game but good lord they took the worst way about it.

Also if you didnt buy the DLC john cleese and the games menu would remind you every single time you paused.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

Sounds like all jrpgs to me.

Another trope is you being an orphan of some sort or the ever present "you and me are not that different" poo poo every main villain pulls.

No fucker i'm killing your mooks because they're burnin' rapin' and pillagin' and also you killed my parents!

Oh my giddy aunt, this annoys me so much. The villain in the Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC tries to pull this. He has men kidnapping people from around the world so they can be tortured in inhuman experiments. You are travelling the world to find people who've been kidnapped. He is sending his men to kill you so you won't stop his horrific experiments. You are killing his men because otherwise THEY'LL loving KILL YOU. So no, villain whose name I can't remember, we are not the same, you and I. This bullshit doesn't make me stop and think "Maybe the violence I'm gleefully indulging in is really no different from what the villains are doing." It makes me stop and think "This game was written by a loving idiot whose idea of deep thought is to say 'Maybe violence is BAD. Didn't think of that, didya?'"

What really annoys me is that this trope is so old, it was addressed in an episode of Star Trek, best known as "the one with Abraham Lincoln." Some aliens force four good guys (Kirk, Spock, Lincoln and a famous Vulcan) to fight bad guys from Federation history so they can understand the difference between what we term "good" and "evil." The episode ends with the aliens saying they cannot find a difference between the two, as Kirk ended up using trickery and violence to win just as much as the bad guys tried to. Kirk replies that the difference lies in what caused them to use those methods. The bad guys were offered power and a return to their own times. The good guys only fought when the aliens threatened to destroy the Enterprise and all aboard her if they didn't fight. That's the difference. And if people writing sci-fi morality plays in the 60s knew it, there's no justification at all for it still being a thing today.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Oh my giddy aunt, this annoys me so much. The villain in the Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC tries to pull this. He has men kidnapping people from around the world so they can be tortured in inhuman experiments. You are travelling the world to find people who've been kidnapped. He is sending his men to kill you so you won't stop his horrific experiments. You are killing his men because otherwise THEY'LL loving KILL YOU. So no, villain whose name I can't remember, we are not the same, you and I. This bullshit doesn't make me stop and think "Maybe the violence I'm gleefully indulging in is really no different from what the villains are doing." It makes me stop and think "This game was written by a loving idiot whose idea of deep thought is to say 'Maybe violence is BAD. Didn't think of that, didya?'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6eeeq_2TE

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sunswipe posted:

What really annoys me is that this trope is so old, it was addressed in an episode of Star Trek, best known as "the one with Abraham Lincoln." Some aliens force four good guys (Kirk, Spock, Lincoln and a famous Vulcan) to fight bad guys from Federation history so they can understand the difference between what we term "good" and "evil." The episode ends with the aliens saying they cannot find a difference between the two, as Kirk ended up using trickery and violence to win just as much as the bad guys tried to. Kirk replies that the difference lies in what caused them to use those methods. The bad guys were offered power and a return to their own times. The good guys only fought when the aliens threatened to destroy the Enterprise and all aboard her if they didn't fight. That's the difference. And if people writing sci-fi morality plays in the 60s knew it, there's no justification at all for it still being a thing today.

DX:HR is such a mediocre-to-average game. Having a decent plot - or even a lovely one that's half as crazy as the previous two DX titles! - could have saved it from how utterly forgettable it was, but you got stuck with stuff like this and the obvious "twists" of the main story. That said, it did have one thing going in its favor story-wise - I really liked that Sarif never turns into a mustache-twirling villain. He's unscrupulous as hell - after all, the anti-rejection drug was developed from research performed on Adam without his knowledge or consent, and he has his surgeons put in way, way more gear than is necessary to keep Adam alive, but past that he seems to genuinely care about his employees and never goes full Bob Page.

In all seriousness, if the engine wasn't such a janky mess (which wasn't really Ion Storm's fault, iirc the engine designer just up and quit one day close to release and they had to rework everything they had) I would say Invisible War is a much better game than Human Revolution, even with the simplified ammo systems.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm still waiting for a game that does that villain speech and your character instead of contemplating goes: "Wrong." *fires shotgun*

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vic posted:

I'm still waiting for a game that does that villain speech and your character instead of contemplating goes: "Wrong." *fires shotgun*

fable 2?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Yeah the final decision you make in the game is labeled as like "97 days remain" with no real indication its the very last thing before kicking off the endgame. Its obvious they couldnt cook both halves of the game but good lord they took the worst way about it.

Also if you didnt buy the DLC john cleese and the games menu would remind you every single time you paused.

In order to make time advance the final time you have to literally sign a contract that shows exactly how prepared you are and what the consequences are.

Vic posted:

One of the few parts of System Shock 2 that totally holds up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

In order to make time advance the final time you have to literally sign a contract that shows exactly how prepared you are and what the consequences are.

They might as well have asked you to read the Terms of Service before clicking OK.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

One of the few parts of System Shock 2 that totally holds up.

Nah. :cool:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Guy Mann posted:

There's actually significant, unmarked jumps in time. Once you get to a certain point you're locked into the end game without warning - counter goes from three months to day zero.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Diablo 3:

you have been disconnected from the server for inactivity. your bounties have been reset, too, because gently caress you.

ahahaha i sure do love this always online garbage, sorry that i had to go pick up food, game!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

Diablo 3:

you have been disconnected from the server for inactivity. your bounties have been reset, too, because gently caress you.

ahahaha i sure do love this always online garbage, sorry that i had to go pick up food, game!

Greater Rifts consume a Keystone when you start one. They're timed so if it starts off bad you can just be hosed forever. So it's really awful when you start a rift and there's just three packs of elites hanging out right by the entrance blocking any further progress and ensuring you can't even kill them because you instantly die. There's no in-game way to just restart a rift either. Your only options are to either finish the current rift, or just make a new game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This isn't a game, but gently caress me if the default Maps app on my phone isn't going to eventually give me an aneurysm.

Everything else on my phone runs smooth as butter. But not Maps! The thing lags when I'm typing out where I need to go (and helpfully decides to offer up a place that's not even in my state), and it's not uncommon for the map to not bother rendering my position (you know, the core thing) for 2-3 minutes into my journey. Sometimes, it navigates under the impression that I'm driving backwards for a while.

The irony of this is that most alternatives I've looked at offer more features. I don't need more features, I just want one to work!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The fact that you have to download a whole separate app that guzzles battery to use Facebook messenger on your phone is insane. They're drunk with power.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mario and Rabbids doesn't look bad but I still wish it was Mario and Servbots instead.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

2house2fly posted:

The fact that you have to download a whole separate app that guzzles battery to use Facebook messenger on your phone is insane. They're drunk with power.

Try 'Facebook Lite'. It's the Android/iOS version of the Facebook app they put on older phones. It's tiny, so it's memory, processor, and battery friendly. It also isn't for distribution in the US, so you have to get the apk from apk archive sites, but it's awesome.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Two worlds was brought up as the reason why open world bethesda games are poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0

Gitro
May 29, 2013
A bunch of villagers forming a mob to beat the final boss up is a better ending than most RPGs out there tbh

Two Worlds is beautiful and perfect and wonderful

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

food court bailiff posted:

DX:HR is such a mediocre-to-average game.
Sure, if you only look at the story and not how much fun it is to play.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

StandardVC10 posted:

Fallout: New Vegas' Honest Hearts DLC is refreshing in this respect. Daniel and Joshua both have religion as a motivating force, but it's their actions you are asked to decide the morality of, not their faith. It's a pretty respectful portrayal, actually.

Yeah, I still can't believe the most interesting character in a videogame was a Mormon missionary.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Since Fable 2 and 3 got brought up again, I am still annoyed they wouldn't let me just kill loving Reaver.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gitro posted:

A bunch of villagers forming a mob to beat the final boss up is a better ending than most RPGs out there tbh

Two Worlds is beautiful and perfect and wonderful

I'm not disagreeing

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

World Famous W posted:

Since Fable 2 and 3 got brought up again, I am still annoyed they wouldn't let me just kill loving Reaver.

He's such an awful character. I guess they were going 'villainous ally' but he's such an unrepentantly evil character that gets off scot-free at all turns and you never get revenge on him for loving you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

He's such an awful character. I guess they were going 'villainous ally' but he's such an unrepentantly evil character that gets off scot-free at all turns and you never get revenge on him for loving you.

It's triply frustrating because much of the endgame could have been solved by just picking the option "imprison Reaver and seize all his poo poo for the good of the people". But they never offered that :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Tiggum posted:

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

For the first one, judging from the plaque I'm gonna say it's Kickstarter backers. As for the second, I dunno, but it sure is depressing.