Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Get that Z!

Where did Rob get the K04s from?

I'm glad to hear that it's not just me who always has a horrible day of accidents and mishaps every time the flatbed trailer comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I think its time to build a LeMons/Chumpcar FD, I'm sure you could make something with all your old OE/OEM bits and two K04s.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The K04's came from a service department. Half were good, half needed rebuilt- which is fine for me. I have 5 total.

The downside to running a FD Chump/Lemons car is the replacement parts. Bend a control arm? $100+ used. A Rx-8 would be cheaper at this point. Plus the frame rails... I haven't taken a photo of the frame rails... it's bad.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just binged through this thread. Spyder you're amazing and you're doing great work. Love the detailed updates.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Gambler update- I haven't been working on it, but check out this amazing ride.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Haha holy poo poo

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I lost it at the rear lights that's amazing

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Wow that's a chin-dropper!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love this a lot. You guys do banger rallies right.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's amazing, and now I want to find a damaged and/or super cheap Panther...

edit: <right click> <save image as>

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I can take 0-credit for this masterpiece. I'm super stoked to drive it though.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Was that a crown vic?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Astonishing Wang posted:

Was that a crown vic?

"Was" is definitely appropriate. (yes)

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

"Was" is definitely appropriate. (yes)

Body-on-frame construction! :black101:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Random update:

Rob@ Pineapple had a tech day. Here's a few cool pics.

I bought a stupid Odula Carbon-Fiber insert for a 99spec wing. I was disappointed to find the carbon side pieces were just vinyl.

Thought someone here might appreciate this compound charged e36 drift car a buddy is building.

I was talked into helping swap this 99 Miata. Check out the material left in the engine. 140k, bone stock.

Stumbled upon these walking to work the other day.

94 Montego Blue update- It's 95% done! Just need to tune it and bill the owner. Had to re-seal the oil pan and replace the power steering pump. I also upgraded the fuel pump wiring in the pump and bypassed the factory run-power-through-the-ignition. Gained a solid 4PSI of fuel pressure at idle.

Went to cars and coffee last weekend. Found two new FD's here in the PNW. The silver one was a perfect example of a well build single turbo FD.

My buddy Ben decided having 4 vehicles at my house was not enough, so this 98 Ranger/Mazda showed up. "Just needs a slave cal". Yeah right. $500 in parts later it's getting a clutch, control arms, end links, tires, and a bunch of past maintenance done. Ugh.

Random photos:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

That intake is gorgeous, goddamn.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The descriptions on the corner seals was confusing me. I was thinking "when did Mazda use 1mm Alex seals?", but the next pic pointing out *side seals* cleared it up.

Lol at that Maz-ranger throw out bearing. I had one in my '79 RX-7 collapse and lose its balls once. :)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
... nooo, I'm actually pretty sure the description on the corners seals is all messed up. If nothing else than because there's 4 corner seals and 3 labels.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I thought that was illustrating the shapes in which they crumble and blow out of the exhaust.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BloodBag posted:

I thought that was illustrating the shapes in which they crumble and blow out of the exhaust.

Well, that's just silly, as we all know the bits just embed themselves in the rotors and subsequently destroy the chrome plating on the rotor housings. Or wedge between the rotor and housing and stop everything dead.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

... nooo, I'm actually pretty sure the description on the corners seals is all messed up. If nothing else than because there's 4 corner seals and 3 labels.

Yeah, I'm with you. Still confused. Corner seal size should match apex seal thickness, and OEM apex seals come in 2 mm and 3 mm, IIRC.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I'm with you. Still confused. Corner seal size should match apex seal thickness, and OEM apex seals come in 2 mm and 3 mm, IIRC.

Yeah. For that matter I'm not sure the side seal thicknesses listed are right either but I don't have my motor parts pile here.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Ugh, Lambos in town seems wrong. Welcome to New Portland, I guess.

Your white FD is the prettiest FD basically ever.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

blk posted:

Ugh, Lambos in town seems wrong. Welcome to New Portland, I guess.

The dudes are just trying to find time to drive them in between protests downtown. I wonder what would be left of them if an antifa protest happened by. Charred frame?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I completely forgot to note that the photo of the corner seals is WRONG. I think it was a copy/pasta error on Rob's end. Since there's interest, I'll make a correct one with better photos next time I'm there.

Side note- I've been crazy busy @ work and haven't had time for some of these projects :(.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

You think that's bad, I just realized that sliding trumpet intake runners are legal for the SCCA class I'm designing for - guess what I'm designing in Solidworks now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

You think that's bad, I just realized that sliding trumpet intake runners are legal for the SCCA class I'm designing for - guess what I'm designing in Solidworks now.

Make sure you can run multiple sets of them... for reasons.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

the spyder posted:

Make sure you can run multiple sets of them... for reasons.

Hey, they say that other than needing to run butterfly throttles, induction is unrestricted! So why not go for broke?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hey, they say that other than needing to run butterfly throttles, induction is unrestricted! So why not go for broke?

Hopefully the rules don't change before you're done putting all this design work into the car. :v:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Larrymer posted:

Hopefully the rules don't change before you're done putting all this design work into the car. :v:

Enh, most of the rules have been relatively static for about 30 years. The variable intake manifold is more of a "hey, this would be fun!" thing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I assume the intake length is tied to RPM instead of airflow itself? Is there an advance/retard curve, hysteresis, etc?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

DJ Commie posted:

I assume the intake length is tied to RPM instead of airflow itself? Is there an advance/retard curve, hysteresis, etc?

Yeah, length vs RPM for harmonic tuning; details will have to be determined from testing. Probably there will have to be some prediction to make sure it's not lagging but that will depend a lot on how fast it can move the trumpets. I just can't help but look at how much broader the R26B torque curve ended up compared to the 13J - both made peak power at 8500rpm, but the R26B made peak torque at 6500rpm instead of 7000rpm. Ok, sounds sad... how's an extra 50 ft/lbs of torque at peak?

And no I'm totally not making jumping-into-the-deep-end even deeper.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've been busy with work and when I seem to make ~1h here or there to work on stuff, I keep forgetting to take pictures.

On the plus side I found a local liquor store that has an AMAZING selection of Japanese Whisky.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

the spyder posted:

I've been busy with work and when I seem to make ~1h here or there to work on stuff, I keep forgetting to take pictures.

On the plus side I found a local liquor store that has an AMAZING selection of Japanese Whisky.

The Japanese are making some serious quality stuff.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

Nice! Where's it at? I might have to hit them up.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Nice one. I find the Japanese stuff is pretty overpriced here in Aus. The Yamazaki 12 was a great buy a few years ago at ~$90 but now it's more like $250. Anyways I prefer my peat monsters

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Nice one. I find the Japanese stuff is pretty overpriced here in Aus. The Yamazaki 12 was a great buy a few years ago at ~$90 but now it's more like $250. Anyways I prefer my peat monsters

It's wild how the price of Hibiki 17 has taken off.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

boxen posted:

Nice! Where's it at? I might have to hit them up.

Ditto.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

787B's got yer back -> https://www.google.com/search?q=787B+adjustable+air+intake+diagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Where do you think I was cribbing the idea and lengths from? But it doesn't look like it'll actually fit in the rest of the chassis... or not without making compromises that would hurt the overall package.