Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Citizen Tayne posted:

By grouping Jimmy the cashier in with those people and pushing a wealthy lifestyle as "middle class" you get Jimmy the cashier to not think about class consciousness and assume his lovely standard of living is his own fault.

bingo

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

silentsnack posted:

For those who don't read the non-mega chat thread, here is version 3 of the corncob which now looks like an ear of corn...

Can't think of anything else to improve, unless I hosed something up in the yellow-green spectrum that I can't see.

That's beautiful

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

this dude is on the block btw no way a dude with that little influence who constantly shoots his mouth off stays on long

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

depending on what they did and their education they are middle class.

its not just income lol

Nah, it's all about money in America.

Nothing else matters.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

total solar eclipses are extremely rare

solar eclipses that cross the continental united states are generally a one-in-a-lifetime experience

it's 2017, the year trump started his presidency. in a few weeks, we will have an all-american eclipse that slices right across the middle of the continuous lower 48, and indeed, the point of "greatest eclipse" will be remarkably close to the United States' mean center of population

the last such all-american solar eclipse event was in 1918

oddly, though, we have another big solar eclipse in just 7 years--2024, the year trump's 8-year presidency will be drawing to a close

this one comes up from mexico and cuts directly over the rust belt

They both cross directly over Carbondale, Illinois

Even God hates coal.

Apr 7, 2003

safely sodomized posted:

the "traditional" working class are industrial wage laborers

lmao no

The defining factor of the middle class as it was understood when it first emerged was specifically that they weren't tied to wage labor.

Wage labor is working class and always has been. Associating industrial wage labor with the 'middle class' is a marketing concept that helps to keep working people divided.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

Nah, it's all about money in America.

Nothing else matters.

you are being uniquely stupid on this issue lol

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Also who's getting the new God Hand positions in these eclipses?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Heads up my dudes, if you worry about paying mortgage or rent ever then you poor. Sorry if you are hearing this for the first time. Most people pretend they aren't poor. Just embrace it.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

euphronius posted:

he's actually Sidney Crosby and its the concussions speaking

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jimmy the cashier isnt middle class assuming he has no college education and isnt like 17 years old.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

even then this is still misleading since it's a small slice of the top 20% that controls most of that wealth

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

No, I know exactly what you're trying to assert, I'm telling you that education, birth, etc don't matter in the US at all.

If you have enough money America will trip over itself to suck your dick.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/BGPolitics/status/892723304422920193

big if true (it is)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

something like 90-95% of the country is working class of varying levels of comfort, 4-9% is actual lower middle class but mostly still anchored to their careers, 1% is upper middle class, and 0.1% control almost all the loving money

most people have no loving clue what middle class means and think it means median income (this is a deliberate effort from politicians to distract us from our circumstances and from how our incomes are steadily stagnant while productivity spikes higher and higher). its the name of the class between the rest of us and the rich

"upper middle" is just middle class

"lower middle" is just a polite way to say working class or poor

a good indicator of middle class is if you work for a living but your job isn't grinding you down physically, allowing you to potentially work it into your 70s

working class people get on disability once their jobs break them these days. trump gonna fix that tho

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

lmao no

The defining factor of the middle class as it was understood when it first emerged was specifically that they weren't tied to wage labor.

Wage labor is working class and always has been. Associating industrial wage labor with the 'middle class' is a marketing concept that helps to keep working people divided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoMFWodRWoY

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/892203372174086146

Loads of temptation.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

something like 90-95% of the country is working class of varying levels of comfort, 4-9% is actual lower middle class but mostly still anchored to their careers, 1% is upper middle class, and 0.1% control almost all the loving money

this is from 2007 data, which predates the housing bubble crashing, and I think the disparity is actually even worse these days given that it was mostly businesses and rich people who benefited from Obama's recovery

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i can't loving understand why they make these things unless using the plastic lets them save money somehow, which i doubt it does

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

here's something that more accurately shows how crazy the disparities are since it's not linked to yearly income

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/892753599876431872

PEE
TAPE

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Guess what idiots? Everyone is poor because we tricked the middle class to spend like the rich so they are house poor keeping up with the jones' and giving money to the people who own private schools and land. We all hosed but some of us have bay windows and vaulted ceilings above us when we cry about crippling debt.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Internet posted:

Heads up my dudes, if you worry about paying mortgage or rent ever then you poor. Sorry if you are hearing this for the first time. Most people pretend they aren't poor. Just embrace it.

Bingo

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

Jimmy the cashier isnt middle class assuming he has no college education and isnt like 17 years old.

My wife and I aren't middle class by the traditional definition either despite being educated and making 91st percentile money, because we are tied to our job.

In particular my wife requires very expensive medication and I'm limited in where I can move because of that.

Money is all that matters. Education and what you do are meaningless.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

this dude is on the block btw no way a dude with that little influence who constantly shoots his mouth off stays on long

His dead eyes and lust for death makes him untouchable, and arousing to Trump

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain Internet posted:

Guess what idiots? Everyone is poor because we tricked the middle class to spend like the rich so they are house poor keeping up with the jones' and giving money to the people who own private schools and land. We all hosed but some of us have bay windows and vaulted ceilings above us when we cry about crippling debt.

*sheds a single tear for the asset holder worth hundreds of thousands*

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

Traditionally the working class were self-employed professionals, merchants, etc.

did you actually mean middle class here cus otherwise none of your posts make sense.

Citizen Tayne posted:

also how does this at all disagree with what i said

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anyway part of the real problem is right here

this is honestly "flaming torches and pitchforks" level of fuckery on a mass scale and yet we silently let it happen while the politicians reassured us with smooth slick words about how we were still middle class, once this is fixed then it's possible to start fixing the horrible wealth distribution gaps

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

My wife and I aren't middle class by the traditional definition either despite being educated and making 91st percentile money, because we are tied to our job.

In particular my wife requires very expensive medication and I'm limited in where I can move because of that.

Money is all that matters. Education and what you do are meaningless.

No you are exactly middle class.

I agree tho that using your idiosyncratic definition that no one else uses you are not because I guess that makes you feel more ethical? idk. I agree I guess that you are applying your idiosyncratic definition correctly. Hooray.

Apr 7, 2003

safely sodomized posted:

did you actually mean middle class here cus otherwise none of your posts make sense.

also how does this at all disagree with what i said

Euphronius is insisting that education, what you do, etc figure into whether or not you're middle class in America now

it doesn't

All that matters with regards to class consciousness or class perception in America is how much money you have. If you've got enough money America will trip over itself to accommodate you. If you're broke it doesn't matter where you were educated or what your dad did.

Money is all that matters anymore.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

each and every one of you should be making 2.4x what you currently make if *looks at graph* nixon and the republicans hadn't hosed the system

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*sheds a single tear for the asset holder worth hundreds of thousands*

You reading it wrong, that dude is rich in comparison to me, so he getting ate up too. However, you an idiot if you think a dude in a half a milly house owns that poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

No you are exactly middle class.

I agree tho that using your idiosyncratic definition that no one else uses you are not because I guess that makes you feel more ethical? idk. I agree I guess that you are applying your idiosyncratic definition correctly. Hooray.

nah, I'm not middle class.

I'm tied to what is essentially wage labor, even if it isn't picking fruit or laying bricks.

If I tell my boss to get hosed and leave my wife potentially dies

Serf
May 5, 2011

im poor af but whatever, not like that's gonna change

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Captain Internet posted:

Hell yeah, just went in to debt for vaulted ceilings and bay windows on Friday.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

American working class?? more like labor aristocrats feeding off the 3rd world

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Captain Internet posted:

how many years of rent do i need in liquid assets before i can stop worrying

Apr 7, 2003

Trash Trick posted:

how many years of rent do i need in liquid assets before i can stop worrying

69 years

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Captain Internet posted:

Republican: ACtually, we must give tax breaks to the rich because I will one day be rich once my small business takes off and my wife's Etsy store gets popular. I'm not poor, you fucktard, I'm temporarily impoverished. TRUMP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

:monocle:

• Locked thread