Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I'd easily admit to being wrong but I don't see much point in classifying 'class' beyond those that depend on a paycheck and those that dont.

It seems more like a tool to eliminate solidarity by getting 99% of the population to fight among themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

here's something that more accurately shows how crazy the disparities are since it's not linked to yearly income

let me show you my graph collection

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

also to repeat what I've brought up like a dozen times in past trump threads

the problem is not the guy next to you who earns 2x or 3x what you earn. he still exists in your economic reality. the problem is the guy who you never ever meet, who you will never be allowed to meet, who pulls in 7000x what you earn

people get stinkingly mad about the guy down the street who is a conspicuous consumer and puts up all the trappings of wealth, like his new red porsche, or his remodeled deck, all that is loving garbage and meaningless. it doesn't mean he has any real power or advantage over you, it just means he can afford fancier things. this is a distraction (and one that's deliberately stirred up by our masters) from the kochs, the mercers, the trumps of the world who can transform politics and economics at the stroke of a pen

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think the "I'll give up my wealth to prevent the 'undeserving' from having it" factor is greater than the "embarrassed millionaire" factor.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Trash Trick posted:

how many years of rent do i need in liquid assets before i can stop worrying

If you can't pay it with the interest from your trust fund you are poor

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

triple sulk posted:

i can't loving understand why they make these things unless using the plastic lets them save money somehow, which i doubt it does

They make them because they're easy as hell to deal with when you have a bunch of laundry in one arm and don't want to set this floppy pile of clothes on the floor first.

I'm just wondering who the hell doesn't have a shelf over/near their laundry machines to keep these things on. Outside the dorm and one apartment, every place I've ever rented or lived in growing up had a shelf which is where you put the detergent and dryer sheets and a little bucket for the lint you dig out of the trap. Usually 5+ feet up, too, almost designed to keep these relatively hazardous chemicals handy yet out of the reach of children.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
it's me, i'm poor

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Acelerion posted:

I'd easily admit to being wrong but I don't see much point in classifying 'class' beyond those that depend on a paycheck and those that dont.

It seems more like a tool to eliminate solidarity by getting 99% of the population to fight among themselves.

that's pretty much all it is

also next time you watch television look at how 'normal' people are portrayed and the kind of wealth it would take to maintain their lifestyle. I'm a big fan of the Stovetop stuffing commercial from around Christmas where the family goes to visit grandma and she lives in a multimillion dollar house with 3 pot filler faucets and two sinks in her kitchen.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

Euphronius is insisting that education, what you do, etc figure into whether or not you're middle class in America now

it doesn't

All that matters with regards to class consciousness or class perception in America is how much money you have. If you've got enough money America will trip over itself to accommodate you. If you're broke it doesn't matter where you were educated or what your dad did.

Money is all that matters anymore.

plenty of people who shouldn't ever step foot on a college campus are "college educated" so just by completing college doesn't really mean poo poo

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Why people hate being called poor so much? Your value in currency is almost entirely luckbased. Your upwards earning potential can only be influenced a small amount by your actions. This is freeing.

Apr 7, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think the "I'll give up my wealth to prevent the 'undeserving' from having it" factor is greater than the "embarrassed millionaire" factor.

to a man, every single person I talked to prior to the election who said they were voting for Trump said they were doing it to keep someone who "didn't deserve" what they were getting from getting it

one black guy I talked to said that he knew a lot of people who were grifting the system and that Trump was going to make them go earn their money lol

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

putin u bitch upload the piss tape to pisshub already

Apr 7, 2003

Captain Internet posted:

Why people hate being called poor so much? Your value in currency is almost entirely luckbased. Your upwards earning potential can only be influenced a small amount by your actions. This is freeing.

more money = more good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Acelerion posted:

Thats fine.

You can do the rich/capitalist class and everyone else.

I think it is important and worthwhile to also think about everyone else too and they are def not the same.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/acosta/status/892756514645188608
:thunk:

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPQsA3Z_L1Y

but 'WE WANT PISS TAPE'

*clap clap clap clap clap clap*

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Was it Bill O'Reilley that said he would stop working if Obama raised taxes because he would be earning so little it wouldn't be worth showing up anymore?

Cause I just remembered that and loled

Like just not working anymore is an option for like 99.9% of people anywhere in the world.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

signing statements are back!!!!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

that's pretty much all it is

also next time you watch television look at how 'normal' people are portrayed and the kind of wealth it would take to maintain their lifestyle. I'm a big fan of the Stovetop stuffing commercial from around Christmas where the family goes to visit grandma and she lives in a multimillion dollar house with 3 pot filler faucets and two sinks in her kitchen.

a good example i liked from the last 15-20 years was carrie's lifestyle in sex and the city, or really any ny sitcom that wasn't seinfeld, which was the most realistic of all of them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

to a man, every single person I talked to prior to the election who said they were voting for Trump said they were doing it to keep someone who "didn't deserve" what they were getting from getting it

one black guy I talked to said that he knew a lot of people who were grifting the system and that Trump was going to make them go earn their money lol
The conclusion: nobody in America deserves to be healthy, wealthy, or happy.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Acelerion posted:

This is admittedly the biggest deal right here. If you are making $100,000 and only spending $2,000 a month on rent and utilities and whatnot then you've got a huge Surplus left over. And you could argue that makes you middle class or even upper class because within a year or two of that you'll have enough liquid assets to finance your life for several years afterward and therefore are no longer tied to your employment at all. But that assumes you and your family if you have one are not Shackled by expensive medicine or college debt for a mortgage or some other thing that looms over you to keep you tied to your job. If you need your job just to get by then whether you're living paycheck to paycheck or put away some percentage of your money each month to savings then you're still a wage worker even if you're being paid in a salary to do things in an air-conditioned office.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

signing statement reads:

"fuk u"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Acelerion posted:

middle class is important because they have more spending money bing bing bong

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

interesting how trump didn't call a giant news conference for this one

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

why is there only one good wolf parade album

what is wrong with this world

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

The conclusion: nobody in America deserves to be healthy, wealthy, or happy.

why

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

triple sulk posted:

a good example i liked from the last 15-20 years was carrie's lifestyle in sex and the city, or really any ny sitcom that wasn't seinfeld, which was the most realistic of all of them

Roseanne and the Simpsons are more or less accurate. Simpsons less so .

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

There was a really loving bad movie from 2000 or so called Stigmata that was set in Pittsburgh

the leading lady played a hairdresser who lived in a huge apartment that would easily have been $3000+ a month even then.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

when they say that a lot of college educated people voted for trump they really need to break down that demographic into poo poo vs non-poo poo schools

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SKULL.GIF posted:

also to repeat what I've brought up like a dozen times in past trump threads

the problem is not the guy next to you who earns 2x or 3x what you earn. he still exists in your economic reality. the problem is the guy who you never ever meet, who you will never be allowed to meet, who pulls in 7000x what you earn

people get stinkingly mad about the guy down the street who is a conspicuous consumer and puts up all the trappings of wealth, like his new red porsche, or his remodeled deck, all that is loving garbage and meaningless. it doesn't mean he has any real power or advantage over you, it just means he can afford fancier things. this is a distraction (and one that's deliberately stirred up by our masters) from the kochs, the mercers, the trumps of the world who can transform politics and economics at the stroke of a pen

I drive past Warren Buffett's house every day, he drives a relatively sensible Cadillac, his wife does/did a bunch of gardening, and he puts chains and cones up across his driveway to keep shitters out during the shareholders meeting.

Granted he's probably the only rich guy who has had any interest in discussing marginal utility (e.g. I have everything I could ever need, what's the point of the rest of the money) so he's kind of the exception and it isn't like he's not all the way to galaxy brain or anything. It probably also explains why he doesn't have as much political influence as a koch or a mercer.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The laffer curve is actually real but only way above a tax rate of 50%

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

a futile attempt to stop the piss tape

*extremely ric flair voice* piss tape! WOO

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

triple sulk posted:

when they say that a lot of college educated people voted for trump they really need to break down that demographic into poo poo vs non-poo poo schools

i guessing that's more "white vs non-white" than anything

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

triple sulk posted:

Roseanne was real good about that

e:f;b

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
killing millions of north koreans ftw

Apr 7, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

The laffer curve is actually real

mods?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Congress wouldn't let him veto it and he's furious about it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sandoz posted:

why is there only one good wolf parade album

what is wrong with this world
1. this is false

2. Krug and Boeckner's best work isn't WP anyway

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LOl a few days ago Trump took credit for drafting the language of the bill hes now signing statementing lolol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Michael Bayleaf posted:

North koreans killing millions of Americans ftw

• Locked thread