Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I have a soft spot for the '87 version as Remembrance was the first serial I watched all the way through.

I miss the 2006-2008 middle-eight trailers. BBC! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXlEIUKIszg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Don't really like Keff McCulloch and his synthesizers for incidental music but I have a lot of affection for his arrangement of the theme.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

I have a soft spot for the '87 version as Remembrance was the first serial I watched all the way through.

I miss the 2006-2008 middle-eight trailers. BBC! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXlEIUKIszg

blaze it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't really like Keff McCulloch and his synthesizers for incidental music but I have a lot of affection for his arrangement of the theme.

I don't mind Keff so much as 7's my doctor and i can't separate the two of them. I do think Keff got a shoddy deal early on, specifically how he had to orchestrate thrilling scenes like "a robot drives down a corridor for five minutes".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't a fan of that synthpop rockabilly arrangement of the theme he did in "Delta".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

He could have recorded a two hour long synth fart and it would still have been up to the same standard as most of Delta.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Series 11 should bring back Keff's best arrangement of the theme.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

a two hour long synth fart

Kindly stay out of my "works-in-progress" folder.

EDIT - Speaking of synths, GeorgeC put up another another one today with great art (I need that on a shirt) and even put a little of the Tenth Planet speech in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7bdxX6uMss

After The War fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 2, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Does anybody enjoy any DW podcasts apart from Radio Free Skaro and Verity?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I tried listening to a podcast about Doctor Who books once, but the two hosts recorded at different volume levels and it was unlistenable :(

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My rewatch has got me to another low point. A Good Man Goes to War.

I think one of the best things about good Moffat episodes, like The Empty Child, or that one with Madame de Pompadour, is the way the puzzle box mystery combines with and compliments the emotional story. The answer to "are you my mummy?" is the perfect example of this done well. We get the solution to the mystery and the emotional high note at the same time. Fantastic.

And the whole saga of Amy and Rory and Melody is the perfect example of this done really really badly. Moffat is so in love with the idea of River being Amy's baby that he just crowbars it in there. The emotional story of parents with a missing baby just doesn't ring true at all- Moffat wants Melody kidnapped and raised by an evil cult but he also simultaneously wants Amy and Rory to continue having fun adventures with the Doctor and it just doesn't work!

How can Moffat, a father, write this?

And tonight it's time for Let's Kill Hitler!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Good Man Goes To War is ok because that emotional ball hasn't been dropped yet, but it was definitely the point where I lost faith in Moffat to be able to satisfyingly resolve this story. A number of later stories seem almost to be trying to apologise for it- Clara blowing up at the Doctor at the end of Kill The Moon, her demand that the Doctor change time to save Danny in Dark Water, and the Doctor's attempt to change time to save Clara in Hell Bent, are all things I specifically wished would happen at some point in series 6.

Lampsacus posted:

Debating Doctor Who is ok, one of the hosts is the guy who reviews the show for the AV Club. There's another one called Pex Lives which is actually three or four podcasts all on the same feed; look for "Eruditorum Presscast" for discussion of recent episodes, and for the others just have a quick look at the descriptions and see what sounds interesting.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 2, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

marktheando posted:

My rewatch has got me to another low point. A Good Man Goes to War.

I think one of the best things about good Moffat episodes, like The Empty Child, or that one with Madame de Pompadour, is the way the puzzle box mystery combines with and compliments the emotional story. The answer to "are you my mummy?" is the perfect example of this done well. We get the solution to the mystery and the emotional high note at the same time. Fantastic.

And the whole saga of Amy and Rory and Melody is the perfect example of this done really really badly. Moffat is so in love with the idea of River being Amy's baby that he just crowbars it in there. The emotional story of parents with a missing baby just doesn't ring true at all- Moffat wants Melody kidnapped and raised by an evil cult but he also simultaneously wants Amy and Rory to continue having fun adventures with the Doctor and it just doesn't work!

How can Moffat, a father, write this?

And tonight it's time for Let's Kill Hitler!

I really don't mind A Good Man Goes to War, and I think it mostly works. The problem is what comes after. He sets up, what I feel is, an amazing twist, and what is sure to be a harrowing journey finding Melody, along with interesting plot possibilities for having Melody and River in the same world. It's just that after that he does jack poo poo with it, and Let's Kill Hitler tries to get you to just accept that they moved on and everything is fine. But to me, that doesn't entirely ruin the setup. It only makes me hate Let's Kill Hitler more.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah it's like the second half of the series was going to be about resolving the baby plot in some satisfying way but then Moffat realised it wouldn't work out and had to come up with something else quickly

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's true, I'm jumping the gun a bit since I know what's happening in the next terrible episode.

And another awful thing from the opening two parter of series 6, another Moffat bad habit- not resolving cliffhangers! Yeah sure just cut to a few months later, whatever. I can't remember specifics but I'm sure Moffat pulls the same poo poo a few times.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Moffat is a bugger for writing himself into a corner.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The only other time I can remember that seeming to happen was Name Of The Doctor->Day Of The Doctor, where it's not really clear how the characters escaped from the Doctor's timestream at the end of Name. In an interview Moffat said they just walked out and it just wasn't communicated well enough, but there's also a fan theory that the original plan for the 50th was to have them exploring his timestream and trying to escape.

E: World Enough And Time->The Doctor Falls skips a fairly crucial scene now that I come to think of it, and then shows the whole scene as a slowed-down flashback. I'd guess that was to make the start of the episode flow better though.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 2, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's really poo poo in the Astronaut 2-parter, especially given he did some great cliffhanger / resolution things in Empty Child/Doctor Dances and Pandorica/Big Bang.

E: And yeah, the recent 2-part finale does feel a bit disjointed between episodes.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think that's a problem Moffat and RTD both ran into from time to time. They'd set up these great cliffhangers then the resolution would be disappointing. When it happened with Moffat, it's the aforementioned habit of doing a time skip to after the Doctor and co. got out of jeopardy. When RTD ran afoul of it, it's the Doctor whipping out the sonic screwdriver and getting out of trouble that way (main example that occurs to me is "Rise of the Cybermen" into "Age of Steel").

I posted previously:

quote:

I feel like if RTD had written "The Doctor Falls", it would have started with Cyber-Bill advancing menacingly on the Doctor, only for him to flash the sonic screwdriver at her and instantly zap her out of the suit, all in one piece, then they leg it to the accompaniment of Blondie's "One Way or Another".

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lampsacus posted:

"I Hate Doctor Who" is a podcast about trying to get non-fans to watch the show, but it only has 2 episodes and hasn't updated since last year.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that's a problem Moffat and RTD both ran into from time to time. They'd set up these great cliffhangers then the resolution would be disappointing. When it happened with Moffat, it's the aforementioned habit of doing a time skip to after the Doctor and co. got out of jeopardy. When RTD ran afoul of it, it's the Doctor whipping out the sonic screwdriver and getting out of trouble that way (main example that occurs to me is "Rise of the Cybermen" into "Age of Steel").

I posted previously:

iirc, in Age Of Steel the Doctor blasts the Cybermen with the little doodad he was using to power up the Tardis in the previous episode

Also, Impossible Astronaut->Day of The Moon at least makes some sense thematically, I'm not so sure it was Moffat writing himself into a corner so much as trying to create the impression that there are some events in this story the viewer doesn't remember

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

DoctorWhat posted:

the tv movie was right. the middle eight should be the start

Movie theme best theme hands down.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Wheat Loaf posted:

I posted previously:

"I'm regenerating!"

TO BE CONTINUED

"Into this arm!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mortanis posted:

Movie theme best theme hands down.

It's fine for a movie but I wouldn't want to hear it every week.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

The problem is that sometimes, Moffat brilliantly gets away with it, as in The Big Bang/The Pandorica Opens. Also, he earns major points for "Go to your room," which shows how well he can resolve a cliffhanger without any cheats.

Then he decides as showrunner he's willing to confuse casual viewers so long as he can troll the fans.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I posted previously:

rtd was bad at cliffhanger payoffs but moffat's cliffhangers are always set up over the entire season which makes them even less fulfilling, imo

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lampsacus posted:

I brought it up a few pages back, but I'm working my way through one called Flight Through Entirety, where the hosts watch and review all of Doctor Who from An Unearthly Child to present day (at the time of this post, they're currently at the Seventh Doctor's run), and going off on various Who related tangents (the Peter Cushing films, Big Finish, etc).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

rtd was bad at cliffhanger payoffs but moffat's cliffhangers are always set up over the entire season which makes them even less fulfilling, imo

RTD did whole season ones that paid off really badly too. Remember how Bad Wolf turned out to mean... Bad Wolf?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Fil5000 posted:

RTD did whole season ones that paid off really badly too. Remember how Bad Wolf turned out to mean... Bad Wolf?
"Oh Bad Wolf girl, I could kiss you!"

Moffat fixes RTD's lovely Bad Wolf thing by having it mean the Moment

Maybe

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fil5000 posted:

I found Bad Wolf unsatisfying.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Plavski posted:

Maybe

David Tennant's little "wait WHAT?!?" moment (ha) there is a thing of beauty.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

yeah bad wolf was stupid, i know, but on the other hand the real way that cliffhanger was resolved is rose breaking into the tardis and saving him. which is fine

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Plavski posted:

Maybe

It was pretty cool to bring Billie Piper back and have her play The Bad Wolf, kind of wish they hadn't even name dropped Rose Tyler tbh

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember thinking Bad Wolf was pretty cool at the time because they didn't make a big deal out of it like they did the next year with Torchwood.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Plavski posted:

"I'm regenerating!"

TO BE CONTINUED

"Into this arm!"

I've never understood why they do regeneration cliffhangers if it's very public knowledge the next doctor hasn't been picked yet, especially if it's mid season

like you would have to live under a rock to not know by now the next doctor is always accompanied by fanfare and mass outbreak of complaints

Just seems like it's cheapening the plot device. It used to be this super dramatic turning point, now Twelve is just tossing around regeneration energy because why not.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

I've never understood why they do regeneration cliffhangers if it's very public knowledge the next doctor hasn't been picked yet, especially if it's mid season

like you would have to live under a rock to not know by now the next doctor is always accompanied by fanfare and mass outbreak of complaints

Just seems like it's cheapening the plot device. It used to be this super dramatic turning point, now Twelve is just tossing around regeneration energy because why not.

Idunno maybe I'm a sucker, but whenever something like this happens (during the Monks three-parter eg) I have a split second moment where I go "how cool would it be if they had cast a new Doctor in secret and we got a surprise mid-season regeneration..." and then it's just a worthless non-plot device.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Let's Kill Hitler. Oh yes Mels, the best friend we've never mentioned before. How is this poo poo just a year after the wonderful series five?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

marktheando posted:

Let's Kill Hitler. Oh yes Mels, the best friend we've never mentioned before. How is this poo poo just a year after the wonderful series five?

Thanks to the specials and the hiatus Moffat had like three years to plan out series five. Series six, not so much.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It would have been funny if they did all that stuff with Mels and then eventually revealed her last name..... was BUSH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I kind of like the Numskulls robot though, in spite of, or possibly because of, how amazingly stupid it is.

• Locked thread