Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

How about a Lava Reef where the Death Egg actually crashed through the volcano

That would be super cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread challenge: Post the name of a new zone you'd like to see in Sonic Mania. Name only, no other information!

Real Life Zone

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Evil Eagle posted:

How about a Lava Reef where the Death Egg actually crashed through the volcano

That would be super cool

Does that mean a level that's a mix of Lava Reef and a busted-up-but-still-somewhat-functional Death Egg because that sounds like the best thing ever.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yes it would be amazing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pigbuster posted:

Does that mean a level that's a mix of Lava Reef and a busted-up-but-still-somewhat-functional Death Egg because that sounds like the best thing ever.

That boss was probably the most epic thing ever for me at age 10.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Who else as a kid after first beating the game just played lava reef zone thru sky sanctuary over as over for a while because those cutscenes were so epic

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

beep by grandpa posted:

Who else as a kid after first beating the game just played lava reef zone thru sky sanctuary over as over for a while because those cutscenes were so epic

:hai:

edit: To this day I still jump and hit eggman when he's flying away with the master emerald and shocking knuckles, even though I know it's futile. Step off my friends bitch I'll kick your fat rolly poly rear end

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 2, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

:hai:

edit: To this day I still jump and hit eggman when he's flying away with the master emerald and shocking knuckles, even though I know it's futile. Step off my friends bitch I'll kick your fat rolly poly rear end

Kid me was convinced that if you hit him enough times before he flew off he'd drop the master emerald.

I never could. :(

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

I used to fight Mecha Sonic as Knuckles over and over and had the boss fight music for the first and second phases in my head basically 100% of the time when I was in 2-3rd grade

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's only right that the Death Egg would be the final zone.

I was always hoping for a sequel to Sonic 3 where the last level was "the Second Death Egg", and it's half-complete and has the superstructure showing like the 2nd Death Star in Return of the Jedi.

This is of course ignoring that both Sonic the Fighters and Sonic 4 had a Death Egg II. The Fighters one is weird and has all these balls hanging off it and the one from Sonic 4 is more of a Starkiller Base since it's the Little Planet converted into a weapon.

That said, what does the Death Egg even do? The Death Star blows up planets but if Robotnik blew up Möbius he wouldn't have a planet anymore. I always assumed it would just roboticize all life on the planet but that's kind of an Archie \ SatAM thing.

Speaking of Sonic the Fighters, in the intro it had this really cool upgraded version of Metal Sonic that transformed into a rocket, so I was always hoping for a Metal Sonic MK II as well. Maybe just combine Metal Sonic from Sonic CD and Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3. As a kid I always thought they were interchangeable anyway, which is confused by the fact that the Archie comic called Metal Sonic "Mecha Sonic" in their CD and Chaotix adaptations, then just called him "Metal Sonic" later, and there was also a "Mecha Sonic" that was just Sonic roboticized. And there was also a Silver Sonic which was Sonic 2's Mecha Sonic.

Confused yet? Good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was a Mecha Sonic and he was actually built by Tails as a spy robot.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I believe the Death Egg's primary function is to look like an egg sphere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sonic 2's death egg space ship thingy could fire lasers, so maybe 3's could as well and we just never saw it happen. But it's definitely this:

ColdPie posted:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ColdPie posted:

Eggman really loves putting his face on things. He would marry himself if he could

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't think it's important what it does other than Robotnik made it, literally named it the Death Egg. IMO Sonic was well within his duty and moral obligation to bring it down because sonic is a good man.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Sonic 2's death egg space ship thingy could fire lasers, so maybe 3's could as well and we just never saw it happen.

Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 death egg are the same one. Don't remember it lasering though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Evil Eagle posted:

Yes it would be amazing
poo poo yes! We need to signal boost the idea that for mania 2 they do levels encroaching on other levels. Lava Reef leaking into the Death Egg. Oil Ocean spilling into Metropolis zone. The edges of a ruined chemical plant falling into Aquatic Ruin. The Ice cap collapsing into the launch base.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gammatron 64 posted:

That said, what does the Death Egg even do? The Death Star blows up planets but if Robotnik blew up Möbius he wouldn't have a planet anymore.

Obviously Robotnik was a Star Wars fan and built it to be a copy of the Death Star down to the laser, except he didn't think it through beyond "I MUST build a Death Star but with MY FACE on it!!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I thought an awesome idea would be Green Egg Zone; Death Egg crashed and abandoned, huge mile-high cracks in the background shell letting in light, plants growing over the inside and water in the bottom.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What about the death egg in Sonic 4?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 death egg are the same one. Don't remember it lasering though.

No, but remember the Lava Reef boss? The eyes flashed and the whole cavern exploded. Don't need lasers when you can set everything on fire.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Space Colony ARK could kick the Death Egg's rear end

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ARK couldn't even destroy the whole moon. Gerald is a hack.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it destroyed the black comet and saved the world. what did the death egg ever accomplish?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Evil Eagle posted:

ARK couldn't even destroy the whole moon. Gerald is a hack.

It needs all seven chaos emeralds to be fully charged, it blew up half the moon with like...one or two of them?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

sharrrk posted:

it destroyed the black comet and saved the world. what did the death egg ever accomplish?
Made the inside of a volcano hot

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

sharrrk posted:

By housing silver sonic, it ruined many afternoons for young Zelder

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Death Egg accomplished being an awesome racetrack in Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it's so awesome it used the track Cosmic Fall, from the ARK

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I want the ring tunnels that start with a countdown and go bwoowowoowowowooowoowooo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Sonic is a franchise of cool sounds, like hitting robotnik in 3, sky sanctuary teleporters, bouncing on mushrooms, the cannons twisting in carnival night.
I was thinking about the best sonic sound the other day but i cant remember it now and its driving me mad!!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Sonic is a franchise of cool sounds, like hitting robotnik in 3, sky sanctuary teleporters, bouncing on mushrooms, the cannons twisting in carnival night.
I was thinking about the best sonic sound the other day but i cant remember it now and its driving me mad!!

It's the sound of the Flying Battery 2 mini boss charging up and firing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ArfJason posted:

The ticking noise of the machinery moving back to original position in Sandopolis Zone.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I always enjoyed the muffled bounce sound from jumping on clouds in Sky Sanctuary.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

I always enjoyed the muffled bounce sound from jumping on clouds in Sky Sanctuary.

THIS WAS IT THANK YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

What about the death egg in Sonic 4?

That's just the Little Planet.
I actually liked that idea and I wish it wasn't wasted on a game like Sonic 4. It also kinda bugs me that we'll never know what happened to it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I cant believe i forgot one of my favourite sounds ever, the weird rear end woehh from the sky sanct clouds. The other noises.mentioned are quality as hell though.
Another amazing sound: the sound in bumpers in cnz, which also happens when you spin on top of the blue marble garden discs and land on them over and over (you did this and you loved it)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Another great sound is the one that accompanies the flash as Mecha Sonic powers up and turns gold. And the sound he makes right after Knuckles beats him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ArfJason posted:

THIS WAS IT THANK YOU

:thumbsup: