Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

mandatory lesbian posted:

thats like, the coldest hot take ever, since no one likes the battle music for chrono cross

(Raises hand.) It was me. Me. I liked Gale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

"The map is not the territory" :catdrugs:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

While Battle with Magus is the best battle theme in both games, CC has this which I humbly submit for evaluation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3r3EWiUFBI

It's such a strange choice of music for the evil supercomputer AI that has been behind everything.

Also, considering it was the battle theme for the two hardest fights in the game (Miguel and Dario) does "Prisoners of Fate" count as a battle theme? Because if so, it loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyHqveZk8Dk

I like sad boss music. You don't hear too much of that in the FF games now I think on it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I didn't get very far in Revenant Wings, but there wasn't much strategy in the parts I did play. Just select all your units and attack move across the map

To be fair, this is pretty much what you do in FF12 too.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

corn in the bible posted:

machinists can use measures which give 35 evasion so i guess you could shove that on a red mage or something and dodge everything

I'd still rather the main gauche's cool 50.

Speaking of which, how does evade work in FFXII? I'm assuming it's not a percentage since you can get to like 140.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I read somewhere that weapon evade and shield evade are two separate checks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

atholbrose posted:

are you positive you aren't a square-enix based neural net? i'm not buying you're a real person

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Hot take: while obviously Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross have some amazing musical pieces (either field / town / event), their battle music is extremely forgettable. CT's superboss music (i.e. the one that plays during Masamune and the Son of Sun) is meh, especially when compared to Battle to the Death from FF6.
Nobody will dispute this. CT's biggest weakness as a game is its main battle theme, and the bit where you chase the rat.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

While Battle with Magus is the best battle theme in both games, CC has this which I humbly submit for evaluation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3r3EWiUFBI

It's such a strange choice of music for the evil supercomputer AI that has been behind everything.

Also, considering it was the battle theme for the two hardest fights in the game (Miguel and Dario) does "Prisoners of Fate" count as a battle theme? Because if so, it loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyHqveZk8Dk

I like sad boss music. You don't hear too much of that in the FF games now I think on it.

My favorite is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFiSb9SBOW0 - it sounds more CT crossed with Xenogears and definitely more "boss-y". I miss weird Mitsuda soundtracks.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 1, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Gologle posted:

You're in luck, the planned DLC was leaked a long time ago and it involves a playable WoR, playable side characters, and more. Enjoy seeing it in another year though.

A friend of mine who I play XIV with is PC only and doesn't have a PS4 and is a little disappointed not to have XV and XII: Zodiac, so I was joking to him that by the time he gets FF15 on PC it'll actually be a decent, finished game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The chrono cross battle music is not forgettable, in fact its etched into my mind for all time. please help

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It was brave of Square Enix to name their game after the number of years it'll take to finish development.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'd still rather the main gauche's cool 50.

Speaking of which, how does evade work in FFXII? I'm assuming it's not a percentage since you can get to like 140.

Bobfly posted:

I read somewhere that weapon evade and shield evade are two separate checks.

They are indeed separate checks, even though they're shown as one stat.

As far as I can tell, it is a percentage. It can exceed 100 because that stat is just adding two different percentage checks together, so it's pretty misleading. Let's say you have the Zodiac Escutcheon (75 evasion) and the Main Gauche (50 evasion) equipped. The Evasion stat says 125, but the check goes like this: roll for shield evasion (75% chance); if that fails, roll for weapon evasion (50% chance); if that fails, roll for parry (only if you have the Jade Collar equipped); if that fails, roll to see if the attack misses for any other reason (like the attacker is blinded); if that fails, roll damage.

The Ensanguined Shield has even better evasion than the Zodiac Escutcheon: a cool 90%. But it comes with inflicting Poison, Sap, and Slow, and no, you can't avoid those by wearing a Ribbon. It might be worth it just for the titanic evasion if your characters job is only to tank, but my take is that it's not really worth it and you're better off with the Zodiac Escutcheon.

Also, some enemy attacks ignore evasion entirely. The hunt mark Marilith, for example, ignores evasion completely. You can blind her, though. So while a Shikari with the Main Gauche and the best shield you can get is the best tank for a lot of situations (Balthier loves to block fireballs with his dagger when I fight dragons, apparently), sometimes they're just going to get blown up and you're better off with someone who just has a ton of HP.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 1, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Yeah I don't get the hate either, I like it too. But I might be biased.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Girl Who Stole the Stars is the ultimate :smith: track for me and I purposefully have to avoid crying when I get through the orphanage scene with Kid.

Also, you can choose not to comfort Kid in that scene and the dialogue line is super depressing if you choose it (iirc).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of my favorite things about Chrono Cross is how, to get the true ending, you have to beat the final boss by using your spells to play a melody you might have heard before, but with little evidence that's what you're supposed to do.

No, I'm serious, I actually really like that. Yeah, the things that happen after that are crazy word-salad pseudo-philosophical nonsense but the music for that part is so drat good that I just don't care.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Harrow posted:

Agreed, those are the real standouts. It says a lot that I can call them to mind pretty much immediately even though it's been at least a year and a half since I've even touched Chrono Trigger.

Click that World Revolution piano version video I linked to a page or two ago. She plays it fast and it looked really difficult. It gave me new appreciation for the song.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Beat the Gilgamesh hunt at level 44 average, which was pretty tough for md. Reddas proved useful as an extra reviver because the final phase easily one shot me the entire time.

Now to do Pharos, espers or *shudder* that tedious Giza Plains hunt...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

mandatory lesbian posted:

are you positive you aren't a square-enix based neural net? i'm not buying you're a real person

If I am, I'm not programmed to know, so does it make a difference?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It might be time to give up Reddas. I'm able to get pretty deep into the Trials now (I think I had to give up at Stage 95 last night, though I somehow missed that two of my three guys knew Reverse already which probably could have won me the fight had I used it), but it seems like the cost of keeping Reddas alive and moving is outweighing the occasional Arise he throws out, especially now that I have my three Ribbons.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 1, 2017

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Raxivace posted:

It might be time to give up Reddas. I'm able to get pretty deep into the Trials now (I think I had to give up at Stage 95 last night, though I somehow missed that two of my three guys knew Reverse already which probably could have won me the fight had I used it), but it seems like the cost of keeping Reddas alive and moving is outweighing the occasional Revive he throws out, especially now that I have my three Ribbons.

Came here to say the same thing. Beaten every hunt and optional boss that's available to me right now save for Omega in the Crystal Maze, and he goes down far too often for him to be a viable asset. Time for Pharos I guess!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gologle posted:

You're in luck, the planned DLC was leaked a long time ago and it involves a playable WoR, playable side characters, and more. Enjoy seeing it in another year though.

thats a rumor only

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

*evasion stuff*

Awesome, thanks. Related, I wish there were more utility weapons like the main gauche.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nobody will dispute this. CT's biggest weakness as a game is its main battle theme, and the bit where you chase the rat.

I like the main battle theme. :(

Imo the weakest battle theme is the second boss theme but that's still light years better than Gale.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nine Word Horror Story

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TurnipFritter posted:

Nine Word Horror Story

so much for gambits being good am i right

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The White Dragon posted:

so much for gambits being good am i right

I equipped Ruby Rings and Mirror Mails and everything worked out ok. It's that kind of "think on your feet" strategy that you just don't get in other Final Fantasy games.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 1, 2017

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah one of the best things about XII is how a bossfight can go from literal cruise control to a complete catastrafuck and then back again in the space of about a minute or so. It's really engaging.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I honestly saw more of that in XIII's bosses.

Then again, I never finished my replay of XII.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Her Dryer posted:

Yeah one of the best things about XII is how a bossfight can go from literal cruise control to a complete catastrafuck and then back again in the space of about a minute or so. It's really engaging.

Otherwise known as "Trickster hunt" and/or "Ultima"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

thats a rumor only

Literally everything in that leak has come to pass exactly as it was described and that poll they did had all of the leak options on it and many people felt like they were trying to gauge which content to prioritize first. I for one will welcome chance to play as best waifu Female Kain.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Like, they have little add on stories and such, but they're not part of the main story mode right? Like if you want to do the world of ruin, do you have to select a different thing from the menu? That would be disjointed as hell.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

What the gently caress happened to the Archaeoavis in the Zodiac Age? Why are they suddenly the most badass enemies in the game? :psyduck:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ROFL Octopus posted:

What the gently caress happened to the Archaeoavis in the Zodiac Age? Why are they suddenly the most badass enemies in the game? :psyduck:

probably to make it harder to get emperor scales

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the ring of lucis is so insanely lame. it kills low stuff more or less instantly which i guess is fine, but also it kills high level stuff instantly too so the fun combat is just gone away forever once you get it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It wasn't that bad at one point then they powered it up because people complained about chapter 13, even though it being under powered wasn't really the problem with it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

the ring of lucis is so insanely lame. it kills low stuff more or less instantly which i guess is fine, but also it kills high level stuff instantly too so the fun combat is just gone away forever once you get it

Don't wear it?

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I'll love the Ring of Lucis forever because it let me kill Adamantoise in about 30 seconds.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Her Dryer posted:

I'll love the Ring of Lucis forever because it let me kill Adamantoise in about 30 seconds.

Yup, this.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The Ring of Lucis owns because it's not a nerfed piece of poo poo like most other things in FF games. I'm so used to things like debuffs only working on trash mobs that don't need to be debuffed anyway, and never working on bosses or big tough creatures that I was genuinely surprised to see that it works on just about everything.

I also thought that maybe it lowered the xp or drops you get from enemies killed by it but nope, there are no drawbacks to abusing it and that's so refreshing in an FF game.

Oh and it also makes Noctis do a Michael Jackson pose :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Her Dryer posted:

Wait, it works against Adamantoise?

Looks like it's time for me to reboot that game again...