Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lodin posted:

There's a very easy answer to this question: money.

I hate to be that nerdy birdy but years ago I was at a Swedish gaming convention. I popped out back for a smoke and there was Notch taking a break from all the fans. This was before Minecraft had blown up and it was just a cult hit. We chatted a bit and other than seeming a bit shy and awkward the he was really nice.
I refuse to believe he would ever spew any of the vile poo poo he does now at that point. Money corrupts.

No argument that money corrupts, but, I think there's also the factor that Money removes filters.

I mean, I work in a really conservative leaning industry, so I make it a point to make all of my liberal opinions private, since it would legit hurt my chances at finding work or getting promoted.
But, if I hit the powerball or something, gently caress it, my opinions would fly free like the wind.

Edit: New page, have a cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Realistically more money just tends to make you more conservative because taxes just become something that inconvenience you that take away your profits instead of something that helps maintain your quality of life.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Lodin posted:

I hate to be that nerdy birdy but years ago I was at a Swedish gaming convention. I popped out back for a smoke and there was Notch taking a break from all the fans. This was before Minecraft had blown up and it was just a cult hit. We chatted a bit and other than seeming a bit shy and awkward the he was really nice.
I refuse to believe he would ever spew any of the vile poo poo he does now at that point. Money corrupts.

Based on his MRAish/anti-SJW stuff, I think it's less "money corrupts" and more "money means he can't internally deflect his unhappiness by saying it's a lack of money that keeps him from dating/having more friends, and he's lashing out rather than face his own flaws".

Goldwater rule gone, I can armchair psych like a pro now

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

I think Tinsley is actually just doing a slice of life storyline about getting a dog, with "cute" observations about shelters.

Of course, I am a dog-hater who believes that all dogs not engaged in shepherding or seeing eye duty or whatever should be killed, so to me it fits with him being a terrible person.

A stance well-associated with sociopathic people, so this checks out.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shangri-Law School posted:

Except they didn't. :cripes:

The common comparisons for the ACA are the Heritage Foundation plan and Romneycare.

The Heritage Foundation plan was a gross parody of an actual plan that destroyed Medicare, destroyed Medicaid and deregulated the insurance industry. Then it threw the individual mandate on top at the end as an extra insult. "Yes, the entire safety net has been wiped out, but everyone is required to buy health insurance. BAM, universal coverage." The ACA is nothing like it.

Romneycare was written and passed by Democratic supermajorities in the Massachusetts legislature. Romney signed it because there was no point in vetoing a law that would just be passed over his veto. And even then he still vetoed parts of it which, as expected, were immediately reinstated. The ACA is very much like that law written by Democrats that a Republican happened to get credit for because what-is-the-legislative-branch?

I think the lie started from Obama trying to be cute/conciliatory with Republicans, but it's absolutely not true. Republicans have never supported any expansion of the safety net. They might try to take credit for the ACA eventually, but they also always talk about protecting Medicare. It doesn't mean Medicare was a Republican idea.
Thank you. It bugs me that people won't stop making this mistake. Thank you.

the_steve posted:

No argument that money corrupts, but, I think there's also the factor that Money removes filters.
With money you also get to choose who is around you. If you select only people who agree and praise you eventually you're going to feel like everything you say is the greatest.

The best part is that Scott Adams is desperately spinning in circles faster and faster screaming "Your opinion doesn't matter to me!!!" as he phase shifts into the bathroom to take yet another custom ab selfie

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
It's market-based, that's why the left complains about the ACA. It's just propping up what's already there and not really doing much to fix it, much like all of the Dem policies the past few decades. No big ideas, just plugging holes as the GOP continues to destroy everything at the state level.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lodin posted:

I think popularity / the spotlight is a huge factor too, but I suppose that comes with monetary success? If you have a stubborn mindset having a ton of people shout at you that you're wrong probably is not the best way to become more open-minded, doubly so when you have people that will rush to your defence. It becomes really easy to insulate yourself with like-minded individuals and create an "us vs them" mentality that I think is sort of the crux of the whole "anti-sjw" poo poo.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

skeleton warrior posted:

Based on his MRAish/anti-SJW stuff, I think it's less "money corrupts" and more "money means he can't internally deflect his unhappiness by saying it's a lack of money that keeps him from dating/having more friends, and he's lashing out rather than face his own flaws".

Goldwater rule gone, I can armchair psych like a pro now

Probably the same issue with Notch.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

AnoHito posted:

I'm glad there's at least one other person with the correct dog opinions.

Welcome to the reality where dog-lovers literally can't even imagine a person who doesn't like dogs, I guess...

Not liking dogs is vastly different from wanting all non-working dogs dead. Congratulations on being a sociopath.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This one's a doozy.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Pakled posted:

This one's a doozy.

Is that... is that a snowflake badge?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What.
George takei seems rather pleased with being a guy.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

It's market-based, that's why the left complains about the ACA. It's just propping up what's already there and not really doing much to fix it, much like all of the Dem policies the past few decades. No big ideas, just plugging holes as the GOP continues to destroy everything at the state level.

We weren't starting from full communism! We were starting from an almost unspeakably cruel system where denying people health care was a successful business model. Adding massive regulation to the market and, as is eternally forgotten, putting 16 million people on Medicaid (a.k.a. single-payer) was a huge step in the right direction. There was nothing that took us farther away from health equality.

Every law affecting the U.S. economy short of full communism is market-based. Measuring everything against the ultimate ideal is like staring at the sun. You fry your ability to see meaningful change for the better.

Also, leaving the Democrats aside for a moment, calling the ACA a Republican plan makes the GOP seem like a normal party with some disagreement on methods rather than a Randian death cult trying to murder the poor. Gives them too much credit.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pakled posted:

This one's a doozy.

So is there any possible interpretation of this that isn't "I hate all gay people?"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pakled posted:

This one's a doozy.

Those goddamn furries ruining our politics.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Captain Sean Spicer, the most well known Trek captain.

Also :lol: at going after furries, that's some serious validation to be painted as an enemy in a Garrison toon.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pakled posted:

This one's a doozy.

Look at the rainbow flag and the rays coming out of the CNN apparatus. That perspective is Rall-ish.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pakled posted:

This one's a doozy.

Holy. poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm guessing this has to do with the internet calling out William Shatner for whining about SJWs?

I don't understand what point he's trying to make though.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Also :lol: at going after furries, that's some serious validation to be painted as an enemy in a Garrison toon.

where are the nazi furries going to go for validation now

p.s. please don't answer that

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AnoHito posted:

So is there any possible interpretation of this that isn't "I hate all gay people?"

"I also hate all trans people."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if that burn on the furries is gonna cost Garrison supporters.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pakled posted:

This one's a doozy.

Remember when Garrison got all mad at 4chan for editing his comics to make him look like a bigot?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Star Trek: well-known for its hard-hitting conservatism.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Throwing shade at the Internet's favorite sassy gay uncle? Yeah, that's gonna go well.

EDIT: Did Takei even say anything about Shatner sticking his dick in the soup, or is this Garrison just lashing out?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Savidudeosoo posted:

Is that... is that a snowflake badge?

Set up to look like a Star of David. No accident I'm sure.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Sulu's gay = cross-dressing?

Something tells me garrison doesn't understand either...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I can't find anything about Takei commenting on Shatner's latest tirade, so it's Garrison lashing out. Everyone knows they don't get along well at all since Shatner is basically the racist homophobic uncle of the Internet whereas Takei is the cool gay uncle.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Is George Takei a furry?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think we actually need Garrison's text accompaniment for this one.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh really? I thought Shatner was a self-absorbed idiot. Welp, guess that's one dude I can stop caring about now.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Angepain posted:

where are the nazi furries going to go for validation now

p.s. please don't answer that

That toon makes me hope the fandom is being successful in kicking out the alt right types. Although it makes me wonder if there was anything specific he added it in response to. Maybe as he was drawing furry tribbles he thought of furries in general.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pakled posted:

This one's a doozy.

Holy poo poo gently caress you Garrison...

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

man. the implications of that cartoon are too broad to be interpreted correctly. sometimes a mash-up says too much.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Wait, is that an "XY" on Kirk's badge?

...where was this comic posted? It's not on his site...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

noted homophobe william shatner...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Discendo Vox posted:

Wait, is that an "XY" on Kirk's badge?

...where was this comic posted? It's not on his site...

His comics go up on his patreon a few hours (I think) before they show up on his site, and from there they get posted to The_Donald and from there to the rest of the internet.

According to his patreon, it's titled "The Trouble With Trannies."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Discendo Vox posted:

I think we actually need Garrison's text accompaniment for this one.
Blah blah SJWs :bahgawd: blah blah Pizzagate :freep: blah blah Hillary Obama Deep State :jewish: MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pakled posted:

"The Trouble With Trannies."

I hope he gets cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

George Takei isn't transgender though :psyduck:

• Locked thread