Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kale
May 14, 2010

Ummm no he isn't? :raise: Transparent might be the word he's looking for. So bad about it he's obviously lying to anyone that isn't a complete retard incapable of paying attention to any sort of detail....or apparently roughly a 3rd of the U.S population.

For a moment there I got confused and was like wait the America's Most Wanted guy is a MAGA nutjob then I remembered that was John Walsh.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh and that edict is for legal immigration. So if you legally immigrate to US but do not speak english, you are hosed

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The president would be denied a green card according to these criteria.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Unzip and Attack posted:

No. Something can't be "ruined" and "the best it's ever been" simultaneously. Words have meaning.

You and your outdated 'Last Sentence' thinking. We live in the current sentence now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus christ

the goal remains reducing legal immigration to the United States by 50%.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
What the hell? Are we full up? That's some pure xenophobe chow.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
No the idea is now to make the middle class all immigrants and then bam we can say we saved the middle class!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Poll update:

https://twitter.com/CahnEmily/status/892793503792672771

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/892793505726308352

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

how is this any different from the status quo or are we just supposed to pretend trump has original ideas instead of just rebranding other people's lovely products

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Is the impeachment efforts making any real progress?

Last I read some Democrats were drafting a proposal for impeachment to take effect after he finishes his term(s) as president.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

boner confessor posted:

how is this any different from the status quo or are we just supposed to pretend trump has original ideas instead of just rebranding other people's lovely products

The bill from Cotton and Perdue, known as the RAISE Act, would end the practice of prioritizing green cards for adult children and extended family of people already in the U.S., discontinue an immigration lottery program and limit the number of refugees to be accepted into the U.S. to only 50,000.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

That's a spicy meatball. Rasmussen is -5 on 538.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

It's going to drastically reduce green cards to family members.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

boner confessor posted:

It's different from the status quo in that it's raising the required so fewer English-Speaking, self-sufficient immigrants are allowed in. So it actually doesn't favor those people at all.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ties his worst net for a Gallup poll so far (also hit -24 on 3/30 but rebounded on going out of town or bombing someone, i dont remember exactly)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dejawesp posted:

Is the impeachment efforts making any real progress?

Last I read some Democrats were drafting a proposal for impeachment to take effect after he finishes his term(s) as president.

I think everyone is assuming that it's a dead letter until he cracks below 30% approval. Nixon had roughly 20% approval when he resigned, so the assumption is Trump would need similar numbers or worse before Republicans rebelled.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What could ever shake that 38% of the population?

Even if you are a conservative, he hasn't followed through on most of his promises EVEN WITH full party control of congress. He got Gorsuch (which is admittedly huge) and that's it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Also, of course Cotton is involved in this poo poo.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Did they pull their finger from the scales or is that AFTER it? Neither one is good.... FOR TRUMP.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Does anyone else think the stock market is inflating because no one is selling their equities assuming that there is some incoming Republican capital gains tax cut?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

pocket pool posted:

I get a feeling that the people saying this poo poo are the same that expect/demand that all immigrants abandon their heritage and start to act "like Americans".

But not those elites in NYC, or those heathens in LA or perverts in SF or weirdos in Seattle, or... only as some constructed identity that applies only to a slim portion of "true Americans".

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The bill from Cotton and Perdue, known as the RAISE Act, would end the practice of prioritizing green cards for adult children and extended family of people already in the U.S., discontinue an immigration lottery program and limit the number of refugees to be accepted into the U.S. to only 50,000.

Whiny god drat refugees. Always comin' around begging - "oooh I don't want my family to get murdered" "fiddle dee-dee, being sold to a human trafficking ring just vexes my humors" :rolleyes:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Would that many people want to move to a country where they have to basically know by now that they are going to be discriminated against to ridiculously proactive degrees under Trump anyway? I'm white, early 30's and with a stable job and income as well as a college degree and I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to move there any time soon.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Kale posted:

Would that many people want to move to a country where they have to basically know by now that they are going to be discriminated against to ridiculously proactive degrees under Trump anyway? I'm white, early 30's and with a stable job and income as well as a college degree and I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to move there any time soon.

Exactly

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Where are the details on the new immigration proposals? Will this screw me? (My wife is not a US person, but she is white and speaks fluent English. I am a citizen and want to move back home someday).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

One passage that always stuck with me is basically along the lines of "trust a Slav before a Jew, trust a Jew before a Persian, trust a Persian before a" and on and on and on until it ended with something like "but never ever trust an Armenian" (I can't remember exactly who or what composed the pecking order). Racism was deeply embedded in humanities understanding of itself at the time.

I once had a discussion with my mom where somehow the topic drifted towards her stating that she would not love any hypothetical black children because "they just look ugly". I managed to pivot from that into a series of questions into what would be her order of preference for the ethnicity of any of my future relationships. IIRC the ranking, from "most opposed" to "least opposed" went something like:

Gypsy - Middle Eastern/Muslim - Black - Asian - White

Don't recall if I mentioned Eastern European.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kale posted:

Would that many people want to move to a country that they basically know they are going to be discriminated against to ridiculously proactive degrees under Trump anyway? I'm white, early 30's and with a stable job and income as well as a college degree and I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to move there any time soon.

america still provides way more opportunity than a lot of places in the world, and the level of discrimination you may face under trump could be similar to what you face in your home country

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kale posted:

I'll have you know that I'm here right now and everything is perfect. Also, would you happen to be renting out your couch at the moment?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kale posted:

Same reason eastern europeans move to the west.
The money potential making outweighs being called a name every now and again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even if you are a conservative, he hasn't followed through on most of his promises EVEN WITH full party control of congress. He got Gorsuch (which is admittedly huge) and that's it.

That's the most interesting question in American politics right now, I think.

I suspect the chief remaining barrier is ignorance, disengagement, and partitioned news sources.

Getting Hannity fired might help. Truly obvious public failures, especially policy failures or failures to respond to major disaster, military failures.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dmitri-9 posted:

Does anyone else think the stock market is inflating because no one is selling their equities assuming that there is some incoming Republican capital gains tax cut?

Yes, lots of people don't know how the stock market works.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

happyhippy posted:

Same reason eastern europeans move to the west.
The money potential making outweighs being called a name every now and again.

If only discrimination stopped at "being called a name every now and again."

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Motherfucker's name is Cotton, of course he drafted anti-immigration policy.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Where are the details on the new immigration proposals? Will this screw me? (My wife is not a US person, but she is white and speaks fluent English. I am a citizen and want to move back home someday).

I get this feeling that your wife will be among the special types of immigrant favored by the Republican plan. White privilege: useful if you've got it!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Kale posted:

A lot of refugees are fleeing North to Canada. During the winter some lost fingers braving the cold to cross into Manitoba. I don't think anyone died attempting the crossing but it very well could have happened.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Maybe they'd waver if they found out his great-great-grandfather was black.

I don't think they're behind him for any logical or measurable reason. It's all gut feelings and winning and hate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kale posted:

yes

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
An attack on North Korea causing lots of deaths in South Korea would cause even republicans to flee.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hellblazer187 posted:

If you are going to do a spousal visa/green card path, then it will have little to no impact on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kale posted:

Immigration to America was already at a net zero / negative anyway as of like 2014, mostly due to lack of jobs and Obama's crackdown and increased deportations.

Immigration is largely a mythical issue. It's no more substantive than any of Trump's other brain farts.

• Locked thread