Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I watched Dunkirk last night in 70mm IMAX. I think that what makes it so impressive isn't just the picture but the sound. Sound design is incredible. I didn't notice aspect ratio shifting once! It's going to clean up at the Oscars; it's a critical and commercial smash about WW2, done to the highest technical standards. It's astounding just on a physical production level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Dreamed last night of a crossover between Friday the 13th and The Natural where Robert Redford fights Jason with a bat called "wonderBREAKER"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm gonna be in Baltimore in Sept. Anyone know anything fun or cool to do there besides hunt for John Waters sightings?

Visit all the famous locations from the critically acclaimed television drama The Wire.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I didn't understand the political aspect at all as a kid, and I'd imagine it probably hasn't aged well, but the basic concept was so enthralling I watched it over and over. Every time I eat a raw tomato I think about that movie.

edit

Haha I want to see more film critic couples with reviews like this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

That looks amazing. I want watch that.

That cast/guest star list too, holy poo poo.

It's really not that memorable and the politics are kinda dumb.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

precision posted:

I spent very little time thinking about the logistics of the story or how the twists worked at all.

I mean when McAvoy's ultimate speech is punchlined with "I loving LOVE BERLIN!!!" it's probably a sign that nobody really expected the plot to hold up to any scrutiny whatsoever

One thing that I feel like I'm missing entirely is what the secret that Delphine told Lorraine in the flashback that she said was nothing in the debriefing was supposed to be - was that just a deliberate red herring in her story? I don't see what the point of including it was in a Keyser Soze style bullshit, and if it was irrelevant but she knew it was caught by a wire Percival planted why not have something fake? More than John Wick or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, the plot left a sour Now You See Me kind of aftertaste more than anything.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Well, Alien Covenant was terrible but we'll always have Prometheus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm going to watch that today and it's going to be fantastic.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CelticPredator posted:

I'm going to watch that today and it's going to be fantastic.

I got nothing out of it. 2 nice shots and a good David scene. The rest was utter bunk.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

One thing that I feel like I'm missing entirely is what the secret that Delphine told Lorraine in the flashback that she said was nothing in the debriefing was supposed to be - was that just a deliberate red herring in her story? I don't see what the point of including it was in a Keyser Soze style bullshit, and if it was irrelevant but she knew it was caught by a wire Percival planted why not have something fake? More than John Wick or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, the plot left a sour Now You See Me kind of aftertaste more than anything.

It was obviously "Percival is Satchel", and was simply to try to misdirect us from thinking Lorraine was Satchel.

For that matter, why did Percival even kill Delphine? He's not Satchel. Actually all of his motivations are unclear, because they say that list has the potential to extend the cold war by anither 40 years. This is what percival wants, because he's a rogue cold war profiteer. So why does he do anything he does in the movie? He has the chance to turn Spyglass over to the soviets, but doesn't do it. Then he has the chance to help spyglass escape to the west, but kills him instead. The only explanation we get is because "I. loving. LOVE. BERLIN."

I guess he wanted to sell the list to soviets, rather than give it to them, which makes sense. I guess he gets off on the risk of the gamble. If he loves playibg the game in berlin so much, the best option would have been to let the soviets have the list, thus extending the cold war and getting to continue his game forever. Instead, he gambles that he can get rid of Lorraine and make a bunch of money.

So it makes a little more sense than I thought. My issue was mostly with pacing and oresentation ofnthe twists, like we were supposed to shocked, when they were perfectly in line with everything we knew about the characters. They weren't even twists.

I definitely want to watch it again, because I want to like it more than I did.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dark Universe core creative, and director of The Mummy, Alex Kurtzman may leave the franchise

IGN posted:

The future of The Mummy director Alex Kurtzman's involvement with Universal's shared monsters Dark Universe franchise is in doubt. When IGN asked Kurtzman during the Television Critics Association press tour (where Kurtzman is promoting Star Trek: Discovery) if he is still involved in the Dark Universe in the wake of The Mummy, Kurtzman said he wasn't sure. "You know the truth is, I don't know. I really don't know," Kurtzman told IGN. "I haven't really decided. Is the honest answer."

Kurtzman directed this year's action horror flick The Mummy, which opened to poor domestic box office and critical response. He is still currently slated to produce 2019's The Bride of Frankenstein, as well as subsequent entries featuring the Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Invisible Man, Van Helsing, and more.

The answer came in the wake of another question about knowing when to call it quits on a franchise. "I have to stay interested in it," said Kurtzman. "I have to feel like my passion is there for it."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Good.

James Wan would be the perfect person to shepherd those movies, if he wasn't busy shooting Aquaman.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Their mistake was not having Abbott and Costello as the Nick Fury-style linking characters

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Can someone post that ultra serious DARK UNIVERSE trailer? Because that was the cringiest thing ever.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Their mistake was not having Abbott and Costello as the Nick Fury-style linking characters

But who would play them? My vote is Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

James Wan would be the perfect person to shepherd those movies, if he wasn't busy shooting Aquaman.

He is actually producing the new Resident Evil movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Dark Universe core creative, and director of The Mummy, Alex Kurtzman may leave the franchise

This guy sounds like he's in denial.

"I haven't really decided," pretty sure the public already made that decision for you, buddy.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Fuckin' lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Can someone post that ultra serious DARK UNIVERSE trailer? Because that was the cringiest thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCm2PX5Iz00

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Snak posted:

It was obviously "Percival is Satchel", and was simply to try to misdirect us from thinking Lorraine was Satchel.

Clearly that's the purpose re: the audience, but she's already explicitly saying that to Gray/Kurzfeld so why play it like she's hiding something? If it was recorded on a wire, what was Delphine telling her and if it wasn't why even feint that there was something?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was ambivalent about Dunkirk when the trailers came out.

Then everyone said it was an IMAX experience to behold.

A week passed and my enthusiasm waned.

But now everyone in the thread is saying I have to go for 70mm IMAX.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Good.

Jim Jones would be the prefect person to shepherd those movies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bar Crow posted:

Jim Jones would be the prefect person to shepherd those movies.

you're right, The Mummy was bad so it's clearly utterly impossible to do anything with Universal Monsters whatsoever

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
How interesting that the worst Tom Cruise film is the one he supposedly had the most control over...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Josh Lyman posted:

I was ambivalent about Dunkirk when the trailers came out.

Then everyone said it was an IMAX experience to behold.

A week passed and my enthusiasm waned.

But now everyone in the thread is saying I have to go for 70mm IMAX.

Same, I'm confused. On the one hand Nolan sort of sucks but on the other this one is good because of all the things that suck about Nolan? Very confusing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

For that matter, why did Percival even kill Delphine? He's not Satchel. Actually all of his motivations are unclear, because they say that list has the potential to extend the cold war by anither 40 years. This is what percival wants, because he's a rogue cold war profiteer. So why does he do anything he does in the movie? He has the chance to turn Spyglass over to the soviets, but doesn't do it. Then he has the chance to help spyglass escape to the west, but kills him instead. The only explanation we get is because "I. loving. LOVE. BERLIN."

I guess he wanted to sell the list to soviets, rather than give it to them, which makes sense. I guess he gets off on the risk of the gamble. If he loves playibg the game in berlin so much, the best option would have been to let the soviets have the list, thus extending the cold war and getting to continue his game forever. Instead, he gambles that he can get rid of Lorraine and make a bunch of money.

So it makes a little more sense than I thought. My issue was mostly with pacing and oresentation ofnthe twists, like we were supposed to shocked, when they were perfectly in line with everything we knew about the characters. They weren't even twists.

I definitely want to watch it again, because I want to like it more than I did.

I think what you might be missing is that ATOMIC BLONDE is not a spy movie, it is a celebration of Berlin in the 80s. The film outright tells you this textually, subtextually, AND meta-textually (like how the music keeps going from diagetic to not diagetic and back again)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Burn the internet to the ground
https://twitter.com/IjeomaOluo/status/892765850155044864

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

James Woods Fan posted:

How interesting that the worst Tom Cruise film is the one he supposedly had the most control over...

I don't really believe those rumours for a second. He pretty clearly has a lot of control over the Mission: Impossible franchise. I doubt his influence is what caused a studio to put out an obvious franchise-starter that was aiming for too many quadrants.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Nevermind, internet can live.
https://twitter.com/DanKaszeta/status/892450050173001730

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Proud to be a member of the Black Lives Matter Al Qaeda Panthers

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Their mistake was making the loving logo when they hadn't even released one film they were proud of in the franchise yet (still haven't)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Same, I'm confused. On the one hand Nolan sort of sucks but on the other this one is good because of all the things that suck about Nolan? Very confusing.

I wasn't really interested until the reviews started coming in, it seems like even Nolan haters are digging it. And the running time is already a big step in the right direction for him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

holy fuckin poo poo hahaha

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

married but discreet posted:

It's under two hours, the dialogue is sparse, and it ends precisely when it needs to, it avoids the things that suck about Nolan.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Whycome the ending of The Stand so bad??

It's based on a Stephen king novel

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's under two hours, the dialogue is sparse, and it ends precisely when it needs to, it avoids the things that suck about Nolan.

The dialogue is the best part of Nolan's good movies though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nolan and Alien Covenant are so great. I these things.

But they don't love me back. :(

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

precision posted:

The dialogue is the best part of Nolan's good movies though.

Naaaaah. The Prestige is his best movie and a lot of it is because the subject matter matches his goofy, too cute dialogue.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"He's the hero we deserve but the the one we need" is nonsensical tripe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Naaaaah. The Prestige is his best movie and a lot of it is because the subject matter matches his goofy, too cute dialogue.

I have to imagine that was a sarcastic post, right?

• Locked thread