Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

A good post. It's really sad to see an attempt--even if slightly misguided--to try something new and fresh reversed everything in like under a year.

Oh, well, guess we can all switch to following the coyote experiment. They seem to be giving chayka time to work his magic, even if he's under financial constrains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
not so fancy cats

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Denis Malgin is good. Otherwise yeah they bad.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CBJ might have a rough year.

They got solid players but since they lost some guys in the off season, guys with a couple years NHL experience and less are going to be relied on to step up in a big way.

Then you have situations with a player like PLD: yea you can say that there's not much more developmental benefit to staying in major juniors, but OTOH, is playing in the NHL right now gonna screw his development?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

JoelJoel posted:

A good post. It's really sad to see an attempt--even if slightly misguided--to try something new and fresh reversed everything in like under a year.

Oh, well, guess we can all switch to following the coyote experiment. They seem to be giving chayka time to work his magic, even if he's under financial constrains.

They still haven't got Erik Gudbranson back, though apparently it wasn't for a lack of trying.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

crouse turned into a second because he had >10GP. from a value standpoint that might be fair value right now, he was a grindy 4th liner with flashes of skill, although there's no reason to give away that guy at age 20.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Yeah well the lightning signed dan "locker room presence" girardi so I'm not casting any stones

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

gallant sucks, but so do the owners and the front office

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/892738596716908544

Huh. Okay then

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
garth snow is a terrible GM

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

This Seems Bad

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My guess is that De Haan wanted to hit UFA.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

My guess is that De Haan wanted to hit UFA.

More likely waiting to see what Tavares does before committing to an extended stay with the team. They're a cellar dweller if he walks.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

More likely waiting to see what Tavares does before committing to an extended stay with the team. They're a cellar dweller if he walks.

That could be part of it. The UFA class for D next year looks pretty good right now but we all know extensions will happen... he could end up being one of the best D options out there. If his one year ask was 5, you know he's gonna be looking for long term at 5+, and he'll probably get it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
They don't mention the old anthem singer, but it looks like taking a public stance to bitch about your employer means you don't get asked back to do the anthem next year:

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/nashville-predators-call-upon-fans-to-help-choose-anthem-singer/c-290557830

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The Tavares situation will be pretty interesting. If rumors are true that he's waiting to see if the Islanders "commit to being a winner" then there's a hilarious amount of pressure on the team this year. If he walks they're basically toast for the foreseeable future. On the other hand, Tavares is probably going to get overpaid like a motherfucker in FA. He's a great player but not quite Crosby level etc and of course he's hitting free agency right at that age 27-28 where giving a guy a huge 8 year contract is going to destroy you in about 2-3 years when his performance starts tanking

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

grack posted:

They still haven't got Erik Gudbranson back, though apparently it wasn't for a lack of trying.

This narrative is endlessly amusing, because regardless of what the stats say, Gudbrandson is a player who is visibly not good at NHL hockey. Pretty much every game I've ever watched him in, he looked like an AHLer in the pre-season who is slow and out of position but tries to throw a big hit or shove a guy in front of the net well after the whistle, to get noticed.

hifi posted:

crouse turned into a second because he had >10GP. from a value standpoint that might be fair value right now, he was a grindy 4th liner with flashes of skill, although there's no reason to give away that guy at age 20.

He's way better than Shawn Thornton, who played 50 games this season.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Man so excited about the Rangers defense this year

Like, maybe it ends up being terrible but I'm so excited anyways

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Levitate posted:

Man so excited about the Rangers defense this year

Like, maybe it ends up being terrible but I'm so excited anyways

I look forward to your next avatar.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hopefully involving Shatty and his bald spot

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Welcome to the Maple Leafs, John Tavares.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Welcome to the Maple Leafs, John Tavares.

Is what you might have got to say next summer if Lou hadn't just committed a butt load of money to Patrick Marleau for some reason.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Tavares has a much of a chance to go to the Leafs as Stamkos did: zero.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Duckman2008 posted:

They don't mention the old anthem singer, but it looks like taking a public stance to bitch about your employer means you don't get asked back to do the anthem next year:

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/nashville-predators-call-upon-fans-to-help-choose-anthem-singer/c-290557830

What they did to him was lovely and they should've at least given him one SCF game (or at least another playoff game because why the gently caress did Kelly Clarkson do one) (though, to be fair, he cracked the door and the parade of Nashville Recording ArtistsTM blew it the rest of the way open, so it's slightly on him) but didn't somebody in one of these threads say they had/have a rotating cast of anthem singers anyway?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

What they did to him was lovely and they should've at least given him one SCF game (or at least another playoff game because why the gently caress did Kelly Clarkson do one) (though, to be fair, he cracked the door and the parade of Nashville Recording ArtistsTM blew it the rest of the way open, so it's slightly on him) but didn't somebody in one of these threads say they had/have a rotating cast of anthem singers anyway?

Yeah he probably has a legit gripe but he was never going to win that battle

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

CBJSprague24 posted:

They didn't do anything to him and probably would have given him a game if he hadn't started bitching to the press before the WCF was over.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Zodijackylite posted:

This narrative is endlessly amusing, because regardless of what the stats say, Gudbrandson is a player who is visibly not good at NHL hockey. Pretty much every game I've ever watched him in, he looked like an AHLer in the pre-season who is slow and out of position but tries to throw a big hit or shove a guy in front of the net well after the whistle, to get noticed.

My Dad is a seriously old school hockey fan and was really excited that Canucks traded for a big, tough physical D and told me endlessly that Gudbranson was going to be great.

He hated the fucker three weeks in to the season. He was so ungodly bad last year it defies description. Hell, even Jim Benning refused to give him more than a one year contract.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

3rd overall Erik Gudbranson

His old scouting report starts off with how much of a leader he is and he's a "character guy", and then says "oh yeah he has a hard shot and 'is a good skater for his size' and makes a good first pass".

Too bad all that second stuff isn't true at the NHL level

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ottawa is gonna be good this year :downs:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Their defense looks like trash outside of Karlsson but that's kind of all they need.

Their forwards are the same as last year pretty much :geno:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Isn't it an anderson bad year coming up? And yeah, if EK is out for 10 games in a row they lose 10 games in a row.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All the songs tailored to the retractable roof is pretty terrible, but I dont' think it even touches the Disneyification of the Ducks intro. Like I get Disney owns it, but that fuckin Beauty and the Beast candle opening it up for a new franchise? Come on.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I got a program from that Skydome opening night thing in the Blue Jays team store for 50 cents in 2008, it was basically just as ridiculous but in print form.

Anyway, if you want to laugh at some whiny dumbasses check out the comments on any local news article about the Penguins Hockeyville exhibition game being moved from Rostraver Ice Gardens to the Lemieux practice rink. You wouldn't want your beer league team to play in Rostraver, it's not surprising in the slightest the NHL isn't going there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Granlund the player with a yuge curve?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

I got a program from that Skydome opening night thing in the Blue Jays team store for 50 cents in 2008, it was basically just as ridiculous but in print form.

Anyway, if you want to laugh at some whiny dumbasses check out the comments on any local news article about the Penguins Hockeyville exhibition game being moved from Rostraver Ice Gardens to the Lemieux practice rink. You wouldn't want your beer league team to play in Rostraver, it's not surprising in the slightest the NHL isn't going there.

I thought the whole point of Hockeyville was to renovate all those shitass rinks.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Rostraver is still getting the $150,000 but honestly $15,000,000 wouldn't bring it up to snuff

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yo what the gently caress happened to hockeyanalysis and puckalytics, where am I supposed to get my sweet WOWYs from now?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

eXXon posted:

Yo what the gently caress happened to hockeyanalysis and puckalytics, where am I supposed to get my sweet WOWYs from now?

I pay for http://hockeyviz.com/ pretty pictures but most of it is free.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Tulsky just hired datarink to work with him for the Canes so no more fun arcade-style shot graphics next year I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

eXXon posted:

This is a clearly a sign to stop relying on those gosh dang fancy stats and spreadsheets!!! Watch the games nerd!!

• Locked thread