Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Singularity mages destroy any other rune when it comes to pure damage of the skill. It does take more work to make them at full essence than blood mages, but they will surpass the power of the trag setup. Trag is far more convenient with the casting of mages, longer duration, less essence cost, so you can focus more passives/skills/items on other things than just maxing essence, spawning mages, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

How would you compare it to a Rathma's minion build? I'm running the bog standard Rathma's right now with one or two minor skill tweaks and I"m enjoying it, but I'm a tad stalled out at GR80 and trying to figure out if it's just my equipment, if I'm just not that good (first time I've done a season since launch), or if the build itself has a ceiling.

I can't speak to his build, nor the particular ceiling you're at, but builds in general absolutely have limits. Even with mono-primal gear you would hit a hard ceiling, and it's obviously less for all ancients or all normal gear. Most players and builds will stall somewhere in the 75 to 85 range. It's typically only the best build for a class that gets to go much beyond that, and then it's all about grinding out paragon levels, maxing your gems as much as possible, and trying to switch to all ancients. "Git gud" can occasionally buy you some additional GR levels, but probably not more than five, and that's pushing it.

To get a feel for what Rathma's is capable of, start at the bottom of the leaderboard and see what people are using. You'll be able to tell where Rathma's mostly completely falls off and it all begins switching to Trag's.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, that's what I was kind of suspecting. I tried the trag spear throwing build but drat if I can't make it work for me. I always end up stalling out without corpses.

Then again, I am also just plain bad with builds that have you kite for a map before killing everything at once. No matter, I'm pretty happy getting as high as I did in the GRs.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I must suck really bad at the trag Lance build. Even with the gold wrap/boon/avarice band setup I die quite a lot in t13. Probably just need some practice, but it just seems like a crappy version of EB wiz. I love the trag set thematically but find it is difficult to use in most builds I try. The blood nova speed farm build absolutely destroys T11 for me but hits a wall pretty quick when I go higher and stop 1 shotting things.

I should probably just gear for Inarius bonestorm since I like tankier builds but just can't give up on trag yet. My profile for speedfarm corpse lance is below if anyone has suggestions!

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Buttdinner-1385/hero/92955407

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ort posted:

I must suck really bad at the trag Lance build. Even with the gold wrap/boon/avarice band setup I die quite a lot in t13. Probably just need some practice, but it just seems like a crappy version of EB wiz. I love the trag set thematically but find it is difficult to use in most builds I try. The blood nova speed farm build absolutely destroys T11 for me but hits a wall pretty quick when I go higher and stop 1 shotting things.

I should probably just gear for Inarius bonestorm since I like tankier builds but just can't give up on trag yet. My profile for speedfarm corpse lance is below if anyone has suggestions!

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Buttdinner-1385/hero/92955407

Trag Corpse Lance, if you're copying the leaderboards anyways, is designed specifically for high-level GR clears. There are a variety of reasons you're going to find it unwieldly in the manner you're using it. I posted a video a page or two ago about it; I'd watch that if you're curious, and in the meantime, I'd switch to something else if you're trying to farm.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Right, Trag CL is terrible for low rifts because it only pops elites and relies on long CDs, so you'll end up with longer clear times than Inarius or Rathma (or even Pestilence) that can melt everything on the map. When you get to higher GRs (lets say 80+), being able to skip past trash, or an entire zone, hunting elites/pylons, is where it begins to shine because the time waiting on CDs is used for scouting and positioning so that you can get the most out of your 10 seconds.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lmao just freaking stop running high end GR specialized builds unless you're doing high end GR clears, Jesus Christ people.

I run multishot for all adventure mode and everything under GR70, then switch to big daddy impale just for high end GRs (and maybe specific boss bounties).

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
"This finely tuned build is used by unemployed aspies to cheese extremely difficult content, I should use it as my daily driver, even though I'm missing a piece and some rolls." - Edward P. Dumbass

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Maybe stop making GBS threads on people just looking for build advice and suggestions ?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
No because it's insanely funny to me that people will willingly play some of the most unfun builds in the game because the build sits at the top of the leaderboard, and it's even better that they are missing pieces and important rolls and wondering why they keep getting corncobbed.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You come off as an elitist douchhole

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Norns posted:

You come off as an elitist douchhole

This is commonly said about people who say what needs to be heard.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Okay guy

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

"This finely tuned build is used by unemployed aspies to cheese extremely difficult content, I should use it as my daily driver, even though I'm missing a piece and some rolls." - Edward P. Dumbass

yeah I've just been capping out on Rathma, so was interested in trying to get practice on trags/spear. At least seeing if I have any well rolled pieces. That is what the armory closet thing is for.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This is commonly said about people who say what needs to be heard.

Not in your case, you are just a douchebag

I said I was running a corpselance speed build specifically designed to run t13 from the guide on icy veins, not the GR pushing variant. Which is why I was asking advice about that specific circumstance.

I also said I tried it because the trag set looked fun thematically, not because it's at the top of the leader boards. I even mention trying a blood nova build which you'd never find on a leaderboard.

Half the people in this thread don't read I think, but thanks to the people who gave somewhat relevant advice.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Anyone is welcome to use whatever build they want. I don't give a gently caress.

But if you're going to gear out for the current absolute top tier autism approved greater rift speciality build, you need all the required pieces, you should have all the important rolls, and you should understand what the build does and how to play it.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ort posted:

I said I was running a corpselance speed build specifically designed to run t13 from the guide on icy veins, not the GR pushing variant. Which is why I was asking advice about that specific circumstance.

I also said I tried it because the trag set looked fun thematically, not because it's at the top of the leader boards. I even mention trying a blood nova build which you'd never find on a leaderboard.

The problem with any CL setup is that you need corpses, so you need a way to kill without CL or to generate them, like the golem/gloves you're using. To kill outside of LoTD, I'd definitely use a Johnstone. It won't be as fast or efficient as the other builds though because of this limitation. They may also show the build working, but using rank 100+ gems, paragon 2-3k, ancients everywhere, etc. If you like Trag, checkout Blood Mage builds, like the one exquisite tea runs. You can even run it without Jesseth and use In-Geom for torment farming or fast GR 60s.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ort posted:

Half the people in this thread don't read I think, but thanks to the people who gave somewhat relevant advice.

icy posted:

The Trag'Oul Blood Lance Necromancer can deal reasonably well with Normal Rift farming all the way through the highest Torment difficulties. The build variation suffers from minor inconveniences compared to top tier speed farming builds (needing specific jewelry and gemming to maintain reasonable toughness and synergistic legendaries).

This a polite way of saying the build sucks for speed running and you better have all the gear to make it work.

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 2, 2017

DrSeRRoD posted:

The problem with any CL setup is that you need corpses, so you need a way to kill without CL or to generate them, like the golem/gloves you're using. To kill outside of LoTD, I'd definitely use a Johnstone. It won't be as fast or efficient as the other builds though because of this limitation. They may also show the build working, but using rank 100+ gems, paragon 2-3k, ancients everywhere, etc. If you like Trag, checkout Blood Mage builds, like the one exquisite tea runs. You can even run it without Jesseth and use In-Geom for torment farming or fast GR 60s.

Thanks, blood mages is next on my list to try. My main issue with the CL speed build I'm running now is dying a lot, but I think that's just due to never having played with a goldskin setup before.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Being an offensive douche is good for Society guys come on he's just helping you

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ort posted:

Thanks, blood mages is next on my list to try. My main issue with the CL speed build I'm running now is dying a lot, but I think that's just due to never having played with a goldskin setup before.

No it is because that build is a lovely glass cannon that is bad for farming

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ort posted:

The trick with goldwrap is the same as CL, you need a steady stream of resource, in this case gold and corpses, respectively, in order for them to be effective. Blood Mages, Inarius, and Rathmas are all great t10-13 clearers that will keep the gold coming non-stop, so you will be a tank.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Goldwrap/avarice/hoarder is designed to boost your armor via the pickup radius increase so you can fly through using constant AoE skills to nuke everything, continuously picking up shitloads of gold to keep your armor up, and not worry about detonations and arcane pillars and other stuff that might normally one-shot you in a bullshit way while you speed through the level without a second thought.

Using it on a CDR centric build that needs to wait to proc damage skills is terribad because you'll lose your armor boost in the between-period. Add in the fact that the build is squishy as hell anyway and it's a recipe for disaster.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
A gold wrap farming build should look like this in action:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/A%20Buff%20Gay%20Dude/video/34660524

Just constant spam, endless resources, and poo poo being automatically picked up from halfway across the screen.

There's room for a CL necro as a farmer, but imho just as a Dick Breath guy. Even then there are builds that do it way better.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm using Inna's on my monk right now and have a question - I have heard some people say to put Mystic Ally on your bar but not choose a rune for it but I've heard others say to use Water or Air - what are the pros and cons to these approaches? Do you still get the active from all of the allies regardless?

Also it generally takes longer to kill a big pack of rounded up mobs + champs/elites than it does to kill the rift guardian. I'm guessing this is because of bane of the stricken, all the focus being on the RG just snowballs and it dies in literally 5 seconds. Does this mean I'm doing something wrong with my build/gear?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

beejay posted:

Also it generally takes longer to kill a big pack of rounded up mobs + champs/elites than it does to kill the rift guardian. I'm guessing this is because of bane of the stricken, all the focus being on the RG just snowballs and it dies in literally 5 seconds. Does this mean I'm doing something wrong with my build/gear?

I'm not a monkman, so I can't comment on your monk-specific issues, but I can tell you that if you're killing an RG in 5 seconds, stricken is probably not the gem for you. Make sure you're running gems that also destroy those elites, like trapped (maybe powerful, depending on what your build uses).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

beejay posted:

I'm using Inna's on my monk right now and have a question - I have heard some people say to put Mystic Ally on your bar but not choose a rune for it but I've heard others say to use Water or Air - what are the pros and cons to these approaches? Do you still get the active from all of the allies regardless?

There are variations that rely on Mystic Ally for your spirit generation, and there are builds they use a Primary Attack to generate Spirit. Whether to run Mystic Ally or not depends a ton on your gear and other skills.

I use the Raiment2, Shenlong2, Inna6 (via ring of royal grandeur) and it does not have Mystic Ally as a perk. It is also fun and good. With at least a few ancients, it's strong enough to split T13 act bounties and you basically just dash around holding down the Punch? button

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah I have trapped, simplicity's strength, and stricken, but I think I will start leveling up like pain enhancer and the pet one. The pets do most of the damage, I just punch to get a multiplier and cyclone strike to make them do more damage.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Is there a consensus Best T13 speedfarm build for WitchDoctor?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

beejay posted:

Yeah I have trapped, simplicity's strength, and stricken, but I think I will start leveling up like pain enhancer and the pet one. The pets do most of the damage, I just punch to get a multiplier and cyclone strike to make them do more damage.

That will definitely help overall clears, especiall pet gem when relying on pet damage. Also, when relying on pets, it explains why the RG insta-dies and elites do not: they have one target to focus vs 10. Pet AI is... special.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Is there a consensus Best T13 speedfarm build for WitchDoctor?

helltooth or arachyr with chicken set, arachyr only if you can get chicken explosion to one shot elites.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

big nipples big life posted:

helltooth or arachyr with chicken set, arachyr only if you can get chicken explosion to one shot elites.

I couldn't get chicken explosion to work on T13, but my weapon wasn't ancient. YMMV. I wasn't impressed with chicken above about TX but it's amazing for everything below.

For me, the best WD speed build for T13 is make another character. :v:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Oof, that sucks. WD is the one guy I've never played and I'm at the point with my seasonal main where it's just grinding gems to augment ancients and fishing for good rifts, aka 'tism time.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

My chicken set is ancient but my arachyrs set is pretty garbage so I haven't really tried to see how much power I can get out of the explosion. I run chicken/helltooth with goldwrap, avarice and nemesis bracers in t13, it works well enough but it's not like a manald archon wiz or anything. If I want to farm dbs or something I typically run 11.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
HT Garg is pretty speedy in T13 as long as you're soul harvesting trash you run by. When you see an elite pack run past them while dropping a Wall of Death on them so the next tick when the game drags the Gargs forward it will be on top of the elites already sitting on a Wall of Death. They'll do a 1-2 hit insta-gib by which point you're already standing on the elites with them and snagging your Cooldowns from close proximity kills.

This week's NA challenge rift is a good example of it in action (although substitute the silly mana generator spell with Spirit Walk zoom zoom). I had a mid 4 minute clear of it and never stopped running once.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 2, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chicken works pretty much the same way, the gargs port to you when you do the explosion on an elite pack. You are just much faster between packs and pylons. Survivability is a bit of an issue until a little gold drops but the knock up from the chicken blast then the slow from wall of death is enough to keep you alive nearly all the time. I wouldn't recommend hardcore players using it but then again I wouldn't recommend hardcore for any reason.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I remember using an Arachyr/FB Chicken setup with Wormwood in the cube so everything gets locused as I run by, also triggering the locust/damage belt, then when I find elites, I pop them, maybe hit FB for 2 seconds, loot, and move on (or pirahnado them and then FB them). Gargs is a similar concept of run up, pirahnado, and hope they swipe them instead of chasing the squirrels across the screen. I have no experience with LoN, but since it can't use the speedy chicken set, I think it's "out" of this lineup.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Someone link a good chicken build. One with skills and gear please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
You know, I've been playing around with various Inarius builds and it's just so... unsatisfying. The basic bonestorm build is boring, and I'm not a fan of LotD. I tried making some CE variants, 'cause CE is the best, but it just mostly just trades damage for cool explosions. They've been okay-ish to 75, but at the end of the day Rathma - even the defensive Esoteric/Decrep/Bone Armor variant - just does way more damage (and is safer, in the case of defensive Rathma). I want to like Inarius, but the comparison just makes it difficult.

On a different note, an easy way to get Avarice is just bounty bags, right? How many T13 bags do you need for that (and does gold find have any effect)?