Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i think it'll probably work better once its one whole complete piece of work and you're not spending a week in between episodes reading AVClub recaps or goons lacking object permanence when it comes to police coffee mugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

People rewatching will just fast forward over certain scenes they hate the way they do with James in season 2. It's part of the Authentic Twin Peaks Experience.

I recently rewatched S2 and suffered through it all, including that awful James and the rich wife subplot, but Im a masochist

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still not really sure why Pete was okay with Catherine making Josie her bitchmaid.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only thing that this episode managed to do was produce a whole lot hot takes on how you shouldn't expect answers and how that's OK. Those kinds of takes polluted my twitter feed for a while and they're extremely pretentious because they focus solely on episode 12. I didn't care much for the episode on whole as someone whose been high on the show the entire run. The courtesan scene I liked a lot because of how absurd to the point of being hilarious it was but the Audrey scene, aside from some funny gags (the crystal ball being one) felt like the first time the show had wasted my time.

I can imagine some people are worried because Sherlock spent its entire garbage run building towards something in which it just ended on a wet fart of horribleness, despite the run having some genuinely good character moments. People rather not have Twin Peaks end up like that (I don't think it will). So when this episode comes along after a crazy good one, it kind of deflates enthusiasm and kills the pacing (as far as we know) people get a bit worried since 6 hours may seem like lots of time, the pacing has remained the same through-out so a lot of that will be slow drawn-out takes with characters doing things that may not be related to the mystery at hand.

I'm not too worried myself, I just hope this episode holds up better upon a rewatch than it did the first time around. It's the first time I've been genuinely disappointed with an episode in the show so far. Well, other than Bill Hastings getting killed. I really wanted to see more of that character.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/SHO_TwinPeaks/status/892799674767228928

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Your horse stepped on my cat!!!!'

Fantastic.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
can't wait till september when we are all back to praising the show once we have full answers and context of this 18 hour movie conclusion to a 90s tv show and film.

only thing i find funny about the current convo in various places is the people who are expecting another season for some reason.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Vikar Jerome posted:

can't wait till september when we are all back to praising the show once we have full answers and context of this 18 hour movie conclusion to a 90s tv show and film.

only thing i find funny about the current convo in various places is the people who are expecting another season for some reason.

A second season sounds way more likely than full answers and context

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Twin Peaks Revival Revival 2042: Midget dude I've already forgotten the name of was always cool.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Did Audrey's mini mister get named in the credits?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

once we have full answers and context of this 18 hour movie conclusion to a 90s tv show and film.

fuckin lol if you think this is gonna happen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

Did Audrey's mini mister get named in the credits?

Only as Charlie, which she says a bunch of times in the scene itself.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jimbot posted:

courtesan

how dare you

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It won't necessarily be good, but once The Return is over, someone will probably pull apart all the different locale/plot threads and make them into feature length fan edits. Basically what I'm saying is I want to watch Hello Dougie.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

:eyepop:

More fuel for the fire of "The person returning in The Return is Laura, not Cooper"?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Considering how many episodes are left and how much this show drags its heels, it seems almost impossible that it will conclude in a satisfying way. :smith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm really hoping for like a "TWIN PEAKS WILL RETURN" at the end of ep 18 now

:(

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm enjoying the little vingette type scenes that don't really advance the plot but have nice character moments (the bits with Andy and Lucy are gold and Kimmy Robertson is stealing every scene she's in) However, the Audrey was long, slow and dull. The other long slow scenes in series 3 felt like they had a point, this was just Audrey being BORING. I always thought she was the most over rated Twin peaks character. I wonder if Lara Flynn Boyle not returning as Donna is anything to do with her and Sherilyn Fenn's alleged feud? Apparently they didn't get on well. The most annoying thing was that Cooper only got thirty seconds of screentime and his arc wasn't carried on at all. I'm enjoying the Dougie Jones stuff, but hopefully we'll get a few episodes of Cooper with his memories back. Honestly the Gordon and Sarah Palmer bits saved this episode, otherwise it's one of the weaker ones so far.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh I think Lara not returning has more to do with what she did to her face than anything. That and she's hard to work with. If Donna was going to be relevant they probably would have brought Moira Kelly back.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Grimes posted:

Considering how many episodes are left and how much this show drags its heels, it seems almost impossible that it will conclude in a satisfying way. :smith:

There is enough time left to make three movies. Whatever Lynch does with that time aside, he still has more than enough of it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

esperterra posted:

tbh I think Lara not returning has more to do with what she did to her face than anything. That and she's hard to work with. If Donna was going to be relevant they probably would have brought Moira Kelly back.

I thought Moira Kelly was a flatter version of the character, but kudos to her for doing what must have been some pretty grueling scenes in Fire Walk With Me. I do wonder about that line when they mention James having an accident, if Lynch is going to kill Donna off via retcon through that. But I'm guessing that most people would rather only see James Hurley as a walk on cameo - I'm hoping Leland shows up again and Ray Wise's bit wasn't just a one episode guest appearance. Just..no more James Hurley please.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
idk about anyone else, but for me there hasn't been a single uninteresting episode of this show so far. As far as television is concerned, I'm having the time of my life with this show. I don't really care too much about the plot or about answers, because it's a David Lynch production, and I'm usually more interested in how he presents ideas and feelings rather than in searching for something concrete.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked Moira fine as Donna, but yeah Lara was better as the character. Say what you will about her (and there's a lot to say about how she cocked up season two thanks to how jealous she was of Fenn) but her Donna in the first season was great.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Everyone complaining the Audrey Scene is slow with no payoff should rewatch her last scene from season two.

Her rage at not being filled in on the phone convo is pure dynamite and a true return to form

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Does anyone remember if Inland Empire's plot and "stuff happening" accelerated during it's third and last act? I've been using it as my "guide" for expectations in some strange way. It's indulgence and pacing in scenes is why season 3 reminds me of it so much.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Cephas posted:

idk about anyone else, but for me there hasn't been a single uninteresting episode of this show so far. As far as television is concerned, I'm having the time of my life with this show. I don't really care too much about the plot or about answers, because it's a David Lynch production, and I'm usually more interested in how he presents ideas and feelings rather than in searching for something concrete.

There's lots of moments that are memorable because of how emotional they are rather than purely how they fit the narrative. There's lots of 'hey remember that bit' moments because of how they make you feel. Like the bit where Cooper is standing next to the statue, desperately trying to remember who he is, or the bit where the Chromatics start playing the synth bit on shadows, or the bit where the Woodsmen swarm out of nowhere, or when Carl plays the guitar on his porch. It's the emotion - sadness, humour, fear - that sticks with you. It's been a rollercoster ride in that aspect.

Also, more crazy Black Lodge stuff would be nice! I wonder if we're finally going to see the White Lodge this time.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Zmej posted:

Does anyone remember if Inland Empire's plot and "stuff happening" accelerated during it's third and last act? I've been using it as my "guide" for expectations in some strange way. It's indulgence and pacing in scenes is why season 3 reminds me of it so much.

Yeah around the last half hour or so after Sue winds up on Sunset Blvd for the first time and sees her doppelgänger & screwdriver lady things start picking up a bit I think.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Grimes posted:

I still have some faith that it'll conclude in a satisfying way, but satisfying only for the characters we've seen a lot of - Cooper, Cole, and Albert (and maybe Bobby & Hawk). And that's cool, they're big players, but I don't have much confidence that things will be satisfying for all the side characters who we've spent next to no meaningful time with. Unless these next episodes are all absolutely loving packed to the brim and move along like episode 11, I'm not sure I'll give a poo poo about people like Nadine, Beverly, Becky, Dr Amp, Jerry, etc. They're all so shallow, I guess their mere existence is supposed to be enough to make us care about them? I'm totally okay with slow moving scenes and such, but not at the expense of characterization at the end of the second act. I'm having trouble even caring much about Sheriff Truman. Knowing his son committed suicide and watching him stoically stare at his nagging wife isn't enough.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 2, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Zmej posted:

Lynch's movies do that in general, I remember when I went and saw Mulholland Drive in the theater, during the "Sixteen Reasons" scene I thought "man, here's where the movie really kicks in" and then I went and checked later and realized it was like ninety minutes in or something. I'm looking forward to doing a marathon of Twin Peaks season 3 without credits breaks to see how it all flows together. He's never had this much time before, and his use of it reminds me of Robert Wilson - I think seeing season 3 in the theater would be really enlightening by forcing you to divest yourself of normal at-home temporal awareness.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Cephas posted:

This is quite literally exactly how I feel.

I have to be honest: I find most television positively unwatchably boring. I'm a fan of Game of Thrones, but even watching that this season, my enjoyment of it is heavily tempered because I usually watch it shortly after a NEW episode of Twin Peaks, and it just blows it out of the goddamn water. GoT feels like the most rote, predictable, boring thing ever most of the time. Most TV feels boring, rote, and predictable when compared to a new season of Twin Peaks directed solely by Lynch.

I guess what it comes down to is the sheer joy of seeing a unified artistic vision. When I watch a TV show, I find that I'm way too acutely aware of how this or that had to be thrown in to "make the show more accessible" or "remind audiences of what had happened before." One of the real problems with a lot of television is that the people who have all the money ALWAYS want to try and appeal to the lowest common denominator (in terms of a hypothetical viewer base) because, well, they don't want to wind up LOSING all their money. So legit intelligent television is something of a rarity, though it HAS been getting slowly better in just the last few years.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 2, 2017

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Carl is the main character this season, just no one has realized it yet

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

kaworu posted:

I have to be honest: I find most television positively unwatchably boring.

Same, to a massive degree.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm glad that Deer Meadow scooched close enough to Twin Peaks for Carl to be relevant

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently it's meant to be a new trailer park Carl got. I guess FBI agents vanishing into interdimensional portals is bad for business.

Some of the subplots seem like they're little slice of life vingettes - Nadine watching Jacoby rvae like a madman probably has no relevance to the plot, it's just funny. Not every single moment has to be some part of the Black and White Lodge battle. In the Log Lady Intros, they introduce the town of 'being full of stories, some funny, some sad'. Like in the original series, did the pine weasal subplot advance the main narrative? Not really, but it gave us some nice character moments and some funny bits.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Chiming in to say this season has been infinitely rewatchable. I've watched most of them at least 4 times (often rewatching them with different friends who are seeing the new season for the first time). Maybe I'm too much of a Lynch fanboy but this is some of the best television I've seen in a long, long time; there's nothing else quite like it.

There's only a couple episodes that are a bit of a slog for me, and I'm probably including 12 in this, unfortunately. But even the worst episodes have some brilliant scenes (Sarah Palmer stuff in this last one).

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mover posted:

Carl is the main character this season, just no one has realized it yet

Carl rules, every scene he has is golden.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The revelation that he wasn't going to tell her what she said was one of the best moments in the whole season so far.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

tap my mountain posted:

I'm glad that Deer Meadow scooched close enough to Twin Peaks for Carl to be relevant

It's the New Fat Trout Trailer Park, in Twin Peaks. His old one was in Deer Meadow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well Tina can talk your ear off for minutes on end with absolutely nothing to say. I'm shocked Billy even still hangs around her to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Charlie bringing up a contract reminded me of that tense little scene in Inland Empire when Piotrek tells Billy about 'the bonds of marriage'. Kinda funny Audrey's lover is named Billy too.