Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atomic Blonde was awesome though :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the only place I've heard good things. Most I've heard is it's super boring except for the fights.

Still gonna see it though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

This is the only place I've heard good things. Most I've heard is it's super boring except for the fights.

Well it starts off a little slow I'll give people that but it does get good and the setting is pretty great. Its a good watch IMO.

As for the Dark Tower... I really wanted it to be good but its not looking like that is going to be the case. I'm still going to see it I think.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I was watching TV with my gf the other night and the trailer for this showed. She commented 'what the hell was that' before I let her know it was an adaptation of one of my favourite book series by my favourite authors. You're goddamned right we are gonna go see this.

I don't have much expectation, but I read an AMA with the director who at least seems like an actual fan of the books. However, I just can't see how this is going to be good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

probably would have been better off back when this was a series starring Javier Bardem

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

MarcusSA posted:

I'm still going to see it I think.

henpod posted:

You're goddamned right we are gonna go see this.

The next time any of you complain about Hollywood being unoriginal and making nothing but adaptations and remakes and sequels I want you to remember this moment and that you are the reason why they care more about recognizable IPs than the actual quality of the movie.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This movie is probably going to be reallly, really bad.

They should of just adapted the first book with a low budget and built a series from it or made a tv show.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The thing that sucks is that making it a sequel was the smartest route to take. It allows you to trim the fat of the source materials while doubling down on the most cinematic parts. This, however, this feels trimmed to the bone. Like I see things I recognize in the trailers, but I'm more surprised by what I dont see. Like how are you gonna just ditch Tull? Or the slow mutants cave fight? And if you're going to condense and do a best-of, where is Blaine? Or Lud?

It almost feels like the movie has been market-tested out of its personality in order to cater to the broadest audience possible, which is utterly stupid in a world where Fury Road and Guardians Of The Galaxy are beloved quantities.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

This makes me sad that we'll never get a George Miller directed Gunslinger film... that would kill.

Guy Mann posted:

The next time any of you complain about Hollywood being unoriginal and making nothing but adaptations and remakes and sequels I want you to remember this moment and that you are the reason why they care more about recognizable IPs than the actual quality of the movie.

This is fair to an extent, although it's pretty rare that an IP I give a poo poo about is turned into a movie since I'm not really a comic book fan. I probably wouldn't be seeing Dark Tower if I hadn't read the books, because I think it looks sorta generic and its conflict is too vague*.

But since I have read the books, and I don't consider them to be holy scripture, I'm going to go see the film because I want to see what they did with it. I think it's okay to be frustrated by the copy/paste nature of Hollywood blockbusters while also going to go see the ones you want to see.

*this is also true of the books

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

The Dark Tower isn't really a recognizable IP, though, it has a cult following at best. The Gunslinger is the only book in the series to crack the best-seller list, iirc, and it's the most self-contained by far. This isn't really akin to them dredging up Spider-Man for the billionth time or making a new Star Wars or Harry Potter series.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Dark Tower isn't really a recognizable IP, though, it has a cult following at best. The Gunslinger is the only book in the series to crack the best-seller list, iirc, and it's the most self-contained by far. This isn't really akin to them dredging up Spider-Man for the billionth time or making a new Star Wars or Harry Potter series.

Honestly it kind of feels like it was finally just its turn on the "High Fantasy Novel Series Adaption" wheel of fortune. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if somebody high up in the studio foodchain just looked at a franchise of seven books by Stephen King and did the movie math and was like, "well that's at least eight theatrical releases right there. Let's make it happen."

I've been struggling to find the right word to describe how this adaption feels from the marketing, and I've finally settled on "pedestrian."

And for a series as batshit as TDT, it should be anything but. Like if it's going to be a trainwreck, I at least want it to be a foaming-at-the-mouth trainwreck with rhyming lobster monsters and sex ghosts.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I'm bummed, but this is going to be just... awful.

The moment Roland does that stupid thing where he reloads both his guns by throwing quickloaders in the air you know it's going to be a brainless floaty action movie. If this breaks 45% on RT I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Did no one see a pre-release or anything? Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy Mann posted:

I don't have time to see movies any more or money so I'm gonna be goddamn picky with this poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

Honestly it kind of feels like it was finally just its turn on the "High Fantasy Novel Series Adaption" wheel of fortune. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if somebody high up in the studio foodchain just looked at a franchise of seven books by Stephen King and did the movie math and was like, "well that's at least eight theatrical releases right there. Let's make it happen."

I've been struggling to find the right word to describe how this adaption feels from the marketing, and I've finally settled on "pedestrian."

And for a series as batshit as TDT, it should be anything but. Like if it's going to be a trainwreck, I at least want it to be a foaming-at-the-mouth trainwreck with rhyming lobster monsters and sex ghosts.

I absolutely don't disagree with you there, and my hope for this movie is pretty much that the trailers are underselling it.

Like, if King saw it and sent the director a note saying he'd remembered the faces of his fathers, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be wilder than it looks. I don't think he'd react to a boring and pedestrian DT movie very happily.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Wind Through the Keyhole was on the bestseller list for quite awhile, from a quick as all hell Google check.

Steven King is kind of a big dealin terms of popular fiction; if this flops it will be entirely on the studio's account.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 2, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

The Wind Through the Keyhole was on the bestseller list for quite awhile, from a quick as all hell Google check.

Steven King is kind of a big dealin terms of popular fiction; if this flops it will be entirely on the studio's account.

I actually just looked up sales figures, and... while I wasn't quite right on the specifics, my initial assumption that the DT stuff was fairly obscure for Stephen King seems to hold true. The books topped out at around 700k copies sold, which isn't exactly a small amount, but is well under his non-DT books (From a Buick 8 moved 1,750,000 copies and Cell moved 1,100,000).

(Interestingly, going by the list I found which cites Publisher's Weekly, his early books kinda sold like poo poo in their first trade runs.)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I actually just looked up sales figures, and... while I wasn't quite right on the specifics, my initial assumption that the DT stuff was fairly obscure for Stephen King seems to hold true. The books topped out at around 700k copies sold, which isn't exactly a small amount, but is well under his non-DT books (From a Buick 8 moved 1,750,000 copies and Cell moved 1,100,000).

(Interestingly, going by the list I found which cites Publisher's Weekly, his early books kinda sold like poo poo in their first trade runs.)

According to this, literally every single King book the NYT has tracked has been on their bestseller list (The Plant was released before they tracked electronic sales).

Trying to check this in more detail, I learned that first two Gunslinger books had incredibly limited initial releases until word got out that they existed; once properly released the first book was a #1 bestseller.

e: looking into it a bit more, it looks like the #1 credit for The Dark Tower is from the 2004 revised edition. Parse that how you will.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 2, 2017

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fart City posted:

What I wanted: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly but with magic and portals.
What I expected: Zardoz
What I'll get: Watchmen levels of disappointment. I was so hyped to see that movie, then I saw it and remembered all the awesome parts in the book that weren't there or were changed and just left disappointed. Was the movie itself bad? I've heard mixed amounts of praise and condemnation.

I truly believe a mini-series would have been the best way to pull this off. I'm going to wait for some reviews. If it's THAT BAD I'll save my money and watch it later.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I absolutely don't disagree with you there, and my hope for this movie is pretty much that the trailers are underselling it.

Like, if King saw it and sent the director a note saying he'd remembered the faces of his fathers, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be wilder than it looks. I don't think he'd react to a boring and pedestrian DT movie very happily.

I remember when the film adaptation of Dreamcatcher was coming out he gave some interview where he insisted that the scene with the shitweasel in the bathroom was going to do for toilets what Jaws did for beaches. Also, dude thinks the Kubrick's The Shining was bad and that the miniseries is superior.

I hope you're right and it's at least nuts even if it isn't great, but King's judgment is not to be trusted when it comes to this stuff.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
https://youtu.be/7P6knwAIhCc

Interview with Idris and Matthew.

Idris just seems like he doesn't care where Matt seems really into it, IMO.

Let's just go back and cast Matt as Walter again and redo everything else.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fart City posted:

I think people are underestimating how much old people LOVE anything with Stephen King's name on it. That'll put some asses in seats if nothing else. He hasn't written a better than average quality book since he stopped doing coke but that doesn't stop his books from selling A LOT. The latter day airplane read stuff he cranks out now does numbers. No way of knowing if that will translate to a decent opening for DT (doubt it).

Diabetic posted:

Idris just seems like he doesn't care where Matt seems really into it, IMO.

Let's just go back and cast Matt as Walter again and redo everything else.

Idris is just milking his current status as "that Black actor in mostly supporting roles that everyone likes despite having seen almost nothing of his work" before Mahershala Ali takes over. Also I think he comes off like that in all of his promo stuff, regardless of what movie it is.

The diversity nod is nice, but honestly I would've rather seen this happen with William Fichtner as Roland (I think he got floated as a potential pick back around 2000).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crindee posted:

I remember when the film adaptation of Dreamcatcher was coming out he gave some interview where he insisted that the scene with the shitweasel in the bathroom was going to do for toilets what Jaws did for beaches. Also, dude thinks the Kubrick's The Shining was bad and that the miniseries is superior.

I hope you're right and it's at least nuts even if it isn't great, but King's judgment is not to be trusted when it comes to this stuff.

Dreamcatcher was not good, but it was absolutely loving bonkers, so that seems to jive with my point more than refute it. Also, the Shining thing has been telephone-gamed to gently caress and back- the truth is he loves the Kubrick movie, he just doesn't think it tells the same story that his book does and it initially disappointed him for that reason.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The sad part is Western High Fantasy is a really loving cool concept and this will absolutely kill it.

Isn't the review embargo Over already?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

JailTrump posted:

Isn't the review embargo Over already?

Nope. Crosspost:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/studios-fight-back-withering-rotten-tomatoes-scores-1025575 Studios so shook by the possibility of Rotten Tomatoes scores hurting their films at the box office screenings and review embargoes are being held back as long as possible :lol:

quote:

The Emoji Movie's $24.5 million domestic opening during the July 28 to 30 weekend accomplished what no other movie has been able to do during a tough summer season at the box office — survive an abysmal Rotten Tomatoes score (7 percent) and open in line with prerelease tracking.

One possible secret weapon? Sony wouldn't let reviews post until midday on July 27, hours before the pic began playing in previews before rolling out everywhere.

Gotta believe this is why Dark Tower reviews still aren't out yet (also Sony)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Im as big a DT fan as anyone, but I think we all know this movie is going to suck. It's a drat shame.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you needed a professional critic to tell you that the Emoji Movie was going to suck then you're probably dumb enough to like a movie about emojis to begin with.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Well, we'll all know in 3 hours or so.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I knew this film was going to be a disappointment the moment they cast Idris Elba as Roland.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RedSpider posted:

I knew this film was going to be a disappointment the moment they cast Idris Elba as Roland.

What.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Seriously, theres a lot of Idris Elba haters in here. What the gently caress.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RedSpider posted:

Ahh the racist take, please go on...

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Le Saboteur posted:

Seriously, theres a lot of Idris Elba haters in here. What the gently caress.

I'll play Devil's advocate because I understand the feeling. Sort of.

Idris Elba is cool as gently caress and I loved him in The Wire and Luther, and there's no way to say he's the wrong pick for Roland without someone accusing me of racism. But he is the wrong pick for Roland, because - beyond the physical description of him in the prose; who gives a gently caress about that - the arc of three characters (Odetta, Detta, and Susannah) is built on them accepting/hating Roland for being white (among other things). I mean, that's a pretty major part of someone who ends up being a pretty major character.

But on the other hand, the way King wrote Detta aged like milk, so I understand why the writers didn't bring her into the story, and without Detta there's no reason Roland had to be white. Which is fine, sure. But that sort of writing shows a disregard for the thing that fans loved enough to follow through seven books and about a million pages. Readers generally want some sort of fidelity to the source material, and except for some names and a few locations, this movie doesn't seem to have it.

Fidelity isn't always a good thing - I mean, Kubrick's Shining is a lot better than that lovely miniseries - but still, you gently caress with the story at your peril.

edit: I'll go ahead and throw down the gauntlet and say that McConaughey is a serious miscast, too.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 3, 2017

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fidelity to the racist as poo poo characterization of Susannah et. al would've been a bigger mistake than whatever disaster they've committed to film already.

FWIW, I think Idris Elba is a perfectly fine choice for Roland but no matter who was cast they would've had an uphill battle against the summer blockbuster by committee that this production apparently was.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I don't think Idris was a good cast simply because I hated his character in the Office but it has stuck with me ever since so I always see him as that guy.

Mads Mikkelsen would've been my current pick for Roland.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Fidelity to the racist as poo poo characterization of Susannah et. al would've been a bigger mistake than whatever disaster they've committed to film already.

FWIW, I think Idris Elba is a perfectly fine choice for Roland but no matter who was cast they would've had an uphill battle against the summer blockbuster by committee that this production apparently was.

Yeah, don't get me wrong about that. If they make a sequel to this and it has Susannah and she has multiple personalities and one of them talks like the caricature of a valley girl and hates black people I'd laugh my loving rear end off, because it'd be a neat response to the original story that says something new while being aware of its origins. Of course, that'd sell about as well as Crystal Pepsi.

But all that over-thought poo poo aside, I'm totally gonna go see this because I want to see Idris Elba do some cool poo poo, and if it's garbage, well, it can't be worse than Dreamcatcher.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 3, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

For real though, the way that the first flick was put together, I'm not entirely sure that Susannah would even make it to the series. I mean, I guess they could conceivably introduce Eddie and Susannah if there's a sequel, but I would expect there to be some pretty hefty changes made to the characters to make them fit into this particular interpretation. Like it or not, with a PG-13 rating we're probably not getting drug-smuggler-naked-gunfight Eddie, and I wouldn't expect them to touch the, ah, complicated nature of Susannah as presented in the book with a ten foot pole. Hell, I'd be surprised if race is even a blip on the radar in terms of her characterization if she ever shows up. Multiple personalities? Sure. But masturbating while stomping on fine china and shouting Stepin Fetchit lingo? Probably not.

I mean, good lord, think of all the time better dedicated to slow motion gun reloads that would soak up.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Diabetic posted:

Mads Mikkelsen would've been my current pick for Roland.

Scott Eastwood for me. :chord:

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Fart City posted:

For real though, the way that the first flick was put together, I'm not entirely sure that Susannah would even make it to the series. I mean, I guess they could conceivably introduce Eddie and Susannah if there's a sequel, but I would expect there to be some pretty hefty changes made to the characters to make them fit into this particular interpretation. Like it or not, with a PG-13 rating we're probably not getting drug-smuggler-naked-gunfight Eddie, and I wouldn't expect them to touch the, ah, complicated nature of Susannah as presented in the book with a ten foot pole. Hell, I'd be surprised if race is even a blip on the radar in terms of her characterization if she ever shows up. Multiple personalities? Sure. But masturbating while stomping on fine china and shouting Stepin Fetchit lingo? Probably not.

I mean, good lord, think of all the time better dedicated to slow motion gun reloads that would soak up.

Arcel confirmed in his AMA like a week or two ago that Oy, Eddie and Susannah are all planned for the sequel. And that they've had a lot of discussions on how to write Detta with Roland being black now.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Le Saboteur posted:

Arcel confirmed in his AMA like a week or two ago that Oy, Eddie and Susannah are all planned for the sequel. And that they've had a lot of discussions on how to write Detta with Roland being black now.

Hey, do you have a link to this, by any chance? It'd be cool to read up on the writing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

3Romeo posted:

Hey, do you have a link to this, by any chance? It'd be cool to read up on the writing process.

Here's the whole AMA. https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6ob3jn/hi_im_nik_arcel_director_of_the_dark_tower_ask_me/

• Locked thread