Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Seems like SP2 is the go to Napoleonics system around here, but I would assume BP is more popular in general? Do either of those things matter if I just want to buy and paint some 28mm mans? I can just pick a system when the whim strikes me? Is 28mm the most popular size? I'm new to this level of grog mans.

If you just want to paint Napoleonics you definitely want 28mm so you can do all the tiny details like painting the mustaches on your frenchmen, ect.

But black powder does not play well at 28mm so I'd recommend SP2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Class Warcraft posted:

If you just want to paint Napoleonics you definitely want 28mm so you can do all the tiny details like painting the mustaches on your frenchmen, ect.

or 40mm. :devil:

But no, 28mm is perfect if you like to paint uniforms and stuff, as there's such a huge range of nice manufacturers, and you can find all those obscure stuff that are just great to paint and add colour to your force, like guard engineers with cavalry helmets, Dromedary dragoons, Mameluks, and so on.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Just find skirmish games. I think even Blessed Ivan does something by the name of Scum of the Earth

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Thanks for the tips, all! 6mm looks so good when it comes to showing huge battles, but painting 28mm sounds like so much more fun.

Argh, what am I getting myself into

edit-- hahaha, $14 for 96 6mm figures!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 2, 2017

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

I think BP works great at 28mm personally. I had a big game with some friends on Sunday (will try and get some pics up at some point) - French vs Brits having at it somewhere in Egypt.

You do need a larger table to do it justice true, but 8x6 or 10 x 6 is fine. You don't need those monsters that the Perrys et al play on to have a good time. We've house ruled the movement stats to 2/3s of what they state in the main rulebook.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BeigeJacket posted:

I think BP works great at 28mm personally. I had a big game with some friends on Sunday (will try and get some pics up at some point) - French vs Brits having at it somewhere in Egypt.

You do need a larger table to do it justice true, but 8x6 or 10 x 6 is fine. You don't need those monsters that the Perrys et al play on to have a good time. We've house ruled the movement stats to 2/3s of what they state in the main rulebook.
Hate to break it to you man, but those both count as "monsters" for most people these days. 8x6 is two "standard" tables put together. 10x6 is :stare:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Hate to break it to you man, but those both count as "monsters" for most people these days. 8x6 is two "standard" tables put together. 10x6 is :stare:

:smuggo:

Nah, seriously there are ways to have a perfectly excellent game of BP without needing the whole room. That's what I love about the game - you can easily cook up a scenario to fit your needs. My pals and I are rather fond of last stand/against all odds battles. We did a great Hougoumont re-fight on the 200th anniversary of Waterloo, which had a handful of Brits surrounded by French, which allowed plenty of movement from the latter on a sensibly sized table.

And as a bonus post treat, here's some pics of a Rorkes Drift game.

http://www.slwargamers.club/Forum/showthread.php?tid=5963&page=2

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Do you have pictures of your Waterloo game? NWS has the Hougoumont MDF kit for like $129 and holy poo poo does it look nice.

I don't even have any mans to play with it, but I'm reading Cornwell's Waterloo right now and I'm totally in the mood.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Do you have pictures of your Waterloo game?

Can't find them unfortunately :( My pal used photobucket (yes I know) to host them and they all seem to be gone now...

We've talked about doing other Waterloo scenarios. There was this amazing table at Salute a few years ago showing the last charge of the Imperial Guard which seems like a no-brainer.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Finally assembled my Bolt Action Commando force! :toot:

My first tournament is Saturday. Hope I don't lose too bad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Finally assembled my Bolt Action Commando force! :toot:

My first tournament is Saturday. Hope I don't lose too bad.

Good luck. Stick it to them fascists.

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas
OK I have lurked long and hard on this thread, and hope someone in here has a good answer to my questions. If you've already engaged in the minutiae of 6mm basing options and those kind of arguments, feel free to skip this.

So I always loved Napoleonics, and like an idiot dove in at 28mm because Perrys and beautiful. I got like 8 battalions knocked out and based, then read the Black Powder rules and almost cried. Need too many mans, and I am utterly solo in this interest where I live. So I stuck them in a display case, and called Adler...

Bought into God's own scale, and am proud to say I have done up a division with cavalry attachments for both Prussians and French (well, Duchy of Warsaw). After reading too much on other forums about basing arguments, I said the hell with it and built them all on 60x60mm square bases, battalion or squadron to a base, with some 60x30 for deployed artillery and 60x60 limbered teams to switch in when batteries are in transit.

Here's the rub, do I really need to be able to represent changes in formation with anything other than say a token marked line, column, march, attack column, square, etc? Black Powder seems pretty easy going, but what about something like General D'Brigade or D'Armee? Anyone think it'll matter too much if a simply mark what that battalion or squadron is doing? I am already aiming for bigger than this with Austrians and actual French incoming (I am focusing on Markkleberg at Leipzig since everyone was at Leipzig).

Opinions? Elegant solutions? Groggy comments on basing opinions? I can toss up some pics if visualization helps.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Doorstop posted:

OK I have lurked long and hard on this thread, and hope someone in here has a good answer to my questions. If you've already engaged in the minutiae of 6mm basing options and those kind of arguments, feel free to skip this.

So I always loved Napoleonics, and like an idiot dove in at 28mm because Perrys and beautiful. I got like 8 battalions knocked out and based, then read the Black Powder rules and almost cried. Need too many mans, and I am utterly solo in this interest where I live. So I stuck them in a display case, and called Adler...

Bought into God's own scale, and am proud to say I have done up a division with cavalry attachments for both Prussians and French (well, Duchy of Warsaw). After reading too much on other forums about basing arguments, I said the hell with it and built them all on 60x60mm square bases, battalion or squadron to a base, with some 60x30 for deployed artillery and 60x60 limbered teams to switch in when batteries are in transit.

Here's the rub, do I really need to be able to represent changes in formation with anything other than say a token marked line, column, march, attack column, square, etc? Black Powder seems pretty easy going, but what about something like General D'Brigade or D'Armee? Anyone think it'll matter too much if a simply mark what that battalion or squadron is doing? I am already aiming for bigger than this with Austrians and actual French incoming (I am focusing on Markkleberg at Leipzig since everyone was at Leipzig).

Opinions? Elegant solutions? Groggy comments on basing opinions? I can toss up some pics if visualization helps.

I'd be fine with markers. If you start itching to something about it later, you can always make a few bases of minis in squares, and swap them out when you change formations.

I'm going with 40mm*20mm bases, which is easy for formations but look a bit messier on the table. There's no perfect basing alternative, you always get something at the expense of something else.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Doorstop posted:

lilljonas has answered the basing question pretty well, but I want to refer back to the first part of your post. If you already have a bunch of finished and based 28mm mans and no one to play against, might I suggest Sharp Practice 2? The unit activation mechanic is very cool and very well suited to solo play. It is similar to TFL's WW2 game Chain of Command, (to date the only game I've ever played solo where I was able to legitimately ambush myself) in that you don't know ahead of time what activation resources you'll have in any given turn.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got some 1:72 vehicles will those work with 28mm minis?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I got some 1:72 vehicles will those work with 28mm minis?

Wayyy too small unless you are really lenient. 28mm is ~1/56th.

1/48 can look alright if you're uniform in the scale and your opponents/club aren't anal about it, especially with "heroic scale" big head/chunky hand guys.

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas

Ilor posted:

lilljonas has answered the basing question pretty well, but I want to refer back to the first part of your post. If you already have a bunch of finished and based 28mm mans and no one to play against, might I suggest Sharp Practice 2? The unit activation mechanic is very cool and very well suited to solo play. It is similar to TFL's WW2 game Chain of Command, (to date the only game I've ever played solo where I was able to legitimately ambush myself) in that you don't know ahead of time what activation resources you'll have in any given turn.

Thanks to you and liljonas, these are both kinda what I figured, but thought I'd cast a line. Am looking at SP2 for my big mans, since they do represent like a year's worth of painting.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Wayyy too small unless you are really lenient. 28mm is ~1/56th.

1/48 can look alright if you're uniform in the scale and your opponents/club aren't anal about it, especially with "heroic scale" big head/chunky hand guys.

Will my 1/72 stuff work with my 15mm lineup then?

Is 1/35 too big? It seems 28mm is closer to 30mm and 1/35 would be around there

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 2, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Doorstop posted:

Thanks to you and liljonas, these are both kinda what I figured, but thought I'd cast a line. Am looking at SP2 for my big mans, since they do represent like a year's worth of painting.

Yeah this is what I like about 6mm, it's pretty cheap to paint up a march column, an attack column, a line, and a square all for the same units. Having to do the same units over and over again in 28mm would be expensive.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Good luck. Stick it to them fascists.
Will do! Apparently my list has already gained some infamy after I shared it with the TO. I guess because it'sapparently quite unorthodox? Take a look and judge for yourselves. I fully expect to get wrecked by the Tiger another player is using (apparently you can also use a loving Maus in BA, but I don't think he's bringing that to the tourney).

Does anyone have suggestion for which National Characteristic to choose from for Commandos? I'm thinking eiter Blood Curdling Charge or Tough As Boots. Rapid Fire seems a bit too situational (and with two Vickers K per section, probably not all that useful). I'm thinking probably Tough As Boots, since that gives me a bonus whether or not I'm being charged (and I know there's at least one person bringing Japanese, I'm pretty sure I'll be the chargee there).

I wonder if giving all my HQ section SMGs will prove a mistake?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Will my 1/72 stuff work with my 15mm lineup then?

Is 1/35 too big? It seems 28mm is closer to 30mm and 1/35 would be around there

If you have 1/72 vehicles, you want to look at 20mm miniatures, or why not just use 1/72 scale? There are lots of affordable kits and terrain in that scale, making it a pretty drat solid choice.

e: 1/35 is way too big for 28mm. If I were using 1/35 tanks I'd buy 1/35 scale plastic figures, they're really not that expensive if you compare them to 28mm miniatures, and they are usually much more realistically proportioned. The problem with 1/35, to me, is the terrain. A 1/35 house is much much bigger than a 1/56 house, and you'll probably want a big table as well. But I guess it would look great if you go for it, and there are 1/35 scale kits out there that are reasonable priced compared to 28mm stuff.

Another bonus is that 1/35 is THE scale for tank models. You can go with 1/56 or 1/48 for 28mm, but neither has anything close to the number of kits out there as 1/35.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 2, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lilljonas posted:

If you have 1/72 vehicles, you want to look at 20mm miniatures, or why not just use 1/72 scale? There are lots of affordable kits and terrain in that scale, making it a pretty drat solid choice.

Because I already have 28mm minis. I just picked up some cheap 1/72 terrain and a PZ4 from a local hobby shop and wanted to know if I could use them along with my army lists.

The terrain I got is a bunker and I'm sure it'll work with my 15mm army/terrain

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 2, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Because I already have 28mm minis. I just picked up some cheap 1/72 terrain and a PZ4 from a local hobby shop

Ah. Terrain can sometimes work, though houses and such would look very small. But that Pz IV will look tiny next to your 28mm miniatures, and huge next to 15mm ones. I have a Tiger II in 1/72, it's almost as big as a 1/56 T-34, but a tad shorter and noticably lower.

E: bunkers are probably great though, as they come in different sizes and have fewer give-aways than, say, a shop or an apartment building.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Problem with 1/35 is that infantry comes in packs of 4 for 15 bucks so a full platoon would be very expensive.

Maybe I'll get into 1/35 in the future cuz the models look beautiful

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

1/35 is Hobby Kit stuff, I've got an M18 Hellcat I've been working on for far too long, that I should finish so I can start my 1/35 Morser-Karl :unsmigghh: Lots of top makers though, Dragon/Cyberhobby, Trumpeter, AFV Club, Bronco, Takom, Hobbyboss, Italeri, MiniArt, Meng, ICM

It's not at all a deep hole

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Will do! Apparently my list has already gained some infamy after I shared it with the TO. I guess because it'sapparently quite unorthodox? Take a look and judge for yourselves. I fully expect to get wrecked by the Tiger another player is using (apparently you can also use a loving Maus in BA, but I don't think he's bringing that to the tourney).

Does anyone have suggestion for which National Characteristic to choose from for Commandos? I'm thinking eiter Blood Curdling Charge or Tough As Boots. Rapid Fire seems a bit too situational (and with two Vickers K per section, probably not all that useful). I'm thinking probably Tough As Boots, since that gives me a bonus whether or not I'm being charged (and I know there's at least one person bringing Japanese, I'm pretty sure I'll be the chargee there).

I wonder if giving all my HQ section SMGs will prove a mistake?

My thoughts:

Your HQ squad with SMGs will wreck almost anything that they can get in close with, and being in the HQ you don't pay extra points for their weapons, so I think thats a solid choice.

Light mortars kind of suck, to be honest, their range isn't that good and I think they lost the ability to drop smoke which is the other thing you'd want them to do.

I've never played as British so I'm not sure about the national characteristics but you've built your two infantry squads around the double machine guns, which is strong, but doesn't gel well with the assault bonuses most of the characteristics get. So I think you need to decide what you want to do, sit back and shoot, or get in close.

I would consider leaving one squad with two machine guns to lay down fire and moving as many SMG's in the second squad as possible and having that accompany your HQ for close quarters fighting. You may be able to Outflank to get in close to the enemy, but I would consider bringing a transport for your assault squads. That way you can pile out and shoot dudes in the face at point-blank range. Generally, vet troops in cover/buildings are extremely difficult to sift out, so you want to get your guys into buildings/objectives first and make the enemy try and dislodge you instead of the other way around.

I also think you're light on AT. If your tank bites it, then you've pretty much lost any ability to damage any armored units. I'd seriously consider bringing a Towed AT gun.

Sample:
Assault teams - these go in the truck together
(6) 1st Lt w/5 SMG
(6) RM Commando with 6 SMG
3-Ton Truck

Base of fire - Shooting stuff
(5) RM Commando with 3 Rifles, 2 Vickers LMG - Base of fire
(6) RM Commando 5 Rifle, 1 Vicker LMG
MMG team
Sniper

Support - Make stuff explode
Forward Observer
6-PDR
Sherman V

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 2, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Problem with 1/35 is that infantry comes in packs of 4 for 15 bucks so a full platoon would be very expensive.

Tamiya has nice sets of 1:48 scale infantry otherwise which are much cheaper, yet properly proportioned like the 1/35 stuff.

I finished these French dragoons today. My goal was to paint up a lot more napoleonics during my summer break, but I ended up just doing these. I'll try to take better pictures later.

I've been running a single 8-man unit for so long, without a proper officer and everything, and they've been slaughtered in every single game they appear in. But with these two extra units, maybe they'll do better? The dismounted dragoons are also a nice addition as I previously had a single skirmish unit, but no officer. I converted one of the dismounted dragoons to be a NCO with a sword, so now I'll finally be able to field them properly as well.

That's five units in total of mounted and dismounted dragoons. I'm getting closer to being able to field an all-dragoon force in SP2 now. :)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I quickly assembled the two kits I got.

So the Bunker I got is literally perfectly sized for 15mm. Great.

The PZ4 looks about right for 15mm but I don't have any "official" 15mm Panzers/WW2 to compare it to since all my 15mm stuff is Team Yankee.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I quickly assembled the two kits I got.

So the Bunker I got is literally perfectly sized for 15mm. Great.

The PZ4 looks about right for 15mm but I don't have any "official" 15mm Panzers/WW2 to compare it to since all my 15mm stuff is Team Yankee.

It always helps if you don't put a copy of the exact same tank next to them. For example, I don't think my 1:48 German tanks look weird when I play against 1:56 Soviet tanks, but if I got a 1:56 Pz III and teamed it up with a 1:48 Pz III, it would be noticable. So one option is then to just stick to getting all your vehicles of the same type in the same scale.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

You can get old Tamiya kits of 5-7 guys for under $10, pretty sure that you don't need the latest sculpting masterpiece from MiniArt for wargaming.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Found a StuG model on amazon for a very good price, went to order it, and went out of stock right before it went through. StuG life denied.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Dang, I don't check in on the thread for like a week and not one but two posters find themselves venturing down the 6mm BP rabbit hole.

My armies are on 30x30mm square bases with three strips a base, but in hindsight i probably would have gone 20x20 with two strips a base. I definitely wouldn't bother modeling everything in different formations, just stick to square bases so you can do column/attack column/line pretty easily.

For the poster that has everything on 60x60- not a big problem, really. It makes forming a line pretty annoying, but yeah, I'd just use tokens or something. If it ends up driving you nuts it's not a huge or costly endeavour to just rebase.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

COOL CORN posted:

Thanks for the tips, all! 6mm looks so good when it comes to showing huge battles, but painting 28mm sounds like so much more fun.

Argh, what am I getting myself into

edit-- hahaha, $14 for 96 6mm figures!

:allears:

I am planning on ordering a bunch and doing Italy vs Prussia/Russia in 6mm. I have enough Redcoats to do for my Sharp Practice Revolutionary War stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Class Warcraft posted:

My thoughts:

Your HQ squad with SMGs will wreck almost anything that they can get in close with, and being in the HQ you don't pay extra points for their weapons, so I think thats a solid choice.

Light mortars kind of suck, to be honest, their range isn't that good and I think they lost the ability to drop smoke which is the other thing you'd want them to do.

I've never played as British so I'm not sure about the national characteristics but you've built your two infantry squads around the double machine guns, which is strong, but doesn't gel well with the assault bonuses most of the characteristics get. So I think you need to decide what you want to do, sit back and shoot, or get in close.

I would consider leaving one squad with two machine guns to lay down fire and moving as many SMG's in the second squad as possible and having that accompany your HQ for close quarters fighting. You may be able to Outflank to get in close to the enemy, but I would consider bringing a transport for your assault squads. That way you can pile out and shoot dudes in the face at point-blank range. Generally, vet troops in cover/buildings are extremely difficult to sift out, so you want to get your guys into buildings/objectives first and make the enemy try and dislodge you instead of the other way around.

I also think you're light on AT. If your tank bites it, then you've pretty much lost any ability to damage any armored units. I'd seriously consider bringing a Towed AT gun.

Sample:
Assault teams - these go in the truck together
(6) 1st Lt w/5 SMG
(6) RM Commando with 6 SMG
3-Ton Truck

Base of fire - Shooting stuff
(5) RM Commando with 3 Rifles, 2 Vickers LMG - Base of fire
(6) RM Commando 5 Rifle, 1 Vicker LMG
MMG team
Sniper

Support - Make stuff explode
Forward Observer
6-PDR
Sherman V

Thanks for your advice! Sadly I can't really change my list so drastically at this point. I've already submitted it to the TO, and I can't exactly buy additional units in time. But I'll definitely keep it in mind for my future expansion.

I think I'm going to go with Tough as Old Boots as my national characteristic for this tourney, since I can't really use Rapid Fire much.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:allears:

I am planning on ordering a bunch and doing Italy vs Prussia/Russia in 6mm. I have enough Redcoats to do for my Sharp Practice Revolutionary War stuff.

The uniforms changed a ton between the AWI and the Napoleonic Wars.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Colonial Air Force posted:

The uniforms changed a ton between the AWI and the Napoleonic Wars.

Well sure, but doing a red guys army in two different scales is not very thrilling. At the end of the day England is too important NOT to do, but I imagine anyone else I find that plays this kind of stuff will probably have it covered.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Fair enough.

In other news, I was reviewing my Bolt Action rulebook and realized the dumb commissar rule is not in the main book, only the supplement. I'm not sure it matters, since either way I'm house-ruling that right out, but it's not a "core rule" of the army at any rate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I haven't been using theater selectors so I haven't been fielding them, but "Commisar as guy who constantly shoots his own men" is some worn out poo poo in wargames.

If it were up to me they would work a bit like US Chaplains or something.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I haven't been using theater selectors so I haven't been fielding them, but "Commisar as guy who constantly shoots his own men" is some worn out poo poo in wargames.

If it were up to me they would work a bit like US Chaplains or something.

That's more or less what they should be, it's just the religion was The State instead of a deity. +1 to morale or something.

At worst, there'd be a rule where the commissar tries to overrule the officer if they try to retreat, and then it's a roll for who the men listen to (and a court martial after the game, but then who cares?). Even that would only be appropriate early war, before they eliminated the idea that commissars had equal military command and instead subordinated them to the officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's more or less what they should be, it's just the religion was The State instead of a deity. +1 to morale or something.

At worst, there'd be a rule where the commissar tries to overrule the officer if they try to retreat, and then it's a roll for who the men listen to (and a court martial after the game, but then who cares?). Even that would only be appropriate early war, before they eliminated the idea that commissars had equal military command and instead subordinated them to the officer.

We made experimental rules for commissars, and we based them on the bad thing commissars would actually sometimes do: use their politically appointed superiority to take over tactical command from local (and more experienced and better suitable) officers. Basically he'd take first dibs on command rolls in CoC, even though the player might be more interested in using his officers.