Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
10.12.6 apparently broke a lot of APFS support, though it does seem to read/write ok: https://eclecticlight.co/2017/07/24/sierra-isnt-finished-yet-apfs-support-is-undone-in-10-12-6/

Personally I wouldn’t mess with it, its clearly not ready to go yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

10.12.6 apparently broke a lot of APFS support, though it does seem to read/write ok: https://eclecticlight.co/2017/07/24/sierra-isnt-finished-yet-apfs-support-is-undone-in-10-12-6/
Figured. I’ll stick with HFS+!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Honestly, if they can't even get Fusion drives to work properly in APFS, or even boot from an APFS volume, I'd still stay far away from it until at least the major vendors announce compatibility.

Maybe after Office 2016 and Creative Shriek do..

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Those sound like pretty big problems for a file system to be having before being widely released & adopted

Why didn't Apple use ZFS again?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

They almost did, I think it was even available to developers at some point in the 10.4-10.5 days.

Sun pissed off Apple/Steve I think. And then the ZFS guy at Apple went to start his own company that released a ZFS solution for Mac, then that company got acquired by and now the guy works at Intel doing ZFS on supercomputers/clusters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dammit.

ZFS is the poo poo on FreeBSD. It would have been marvelous to have a Mac with it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Also, Oracle doesn't release the source any more, so it's basically just community maintainers reverse-engineering Solaris and adding their own features. Since it's patented, I doubt Apple would be willing to risk a drawn-out legal battle like what happened with Java. Plus, they can patent their own file system so nobody else can use it!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Man, the latest Little Snitch is so good, it mapped where I was getting weird pings from and I was able to get our networking guys to block based on that.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Pretty sure someone was looking for this:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/54037609/Apple-Inc

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

pzy posted:

Pretty sure someone was looking for this:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/54037609/Apple-Inc

Nice find! They were indeed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Now that Adobe has officially announced the end of Flash in three years, when will streaming companies jump to HTML5 / MPEG 4 or whatever? YouTube has but I see CNN still uses Flash..

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Now that Adobe has officially announced the end of Flash in three years, when will streaming companies jump to HTML5 / MPEG 4 or whatever? YouTube has but I see CNN still uses Flash..
I can't speak for CNN, but most of the time I just switch my user agent to iPad and I get served an HTML5 stream whenever I encounter a site still pushing Flash. It's annoying, but the only site I still have to do that for is my local news station.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Click to flash for years now and no problems. Flash is an awful platform for serious software and only marginally useful for little animated vector art. This stuff was dead a decade ago when it didn’t run well and wasn’t ready for ARM. Flash only ran ok on windows on the desktop.

It feels weird to say goodbye as someone who has written business critical flash software. But it was awful.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

the solution here is to not watch cnn hth

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Uninstall flash entirely rather than using click to flash, etc. If your browser still reports than you have flash installed then websites will still send you flash video rather than HTML5 video, presumably because of laziness or it allows for more invasive ad tracking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yup thats how I roll. And if you install chrome as a second browser (because safari is your main, of course) then it has an internal version of flash that won't infect you for the few times there's no workaround.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
just had to completely flatten and restore my macbook pro because of an apfs issue, also it wouldn't convert back so i had to make a usb recovery drive to finally fix it...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm having an annoying problem with Preview, which in my experience is usually pretty solid. For some PDFs (but not all!) it seems to get frozen partway through rendering which means most of a document after the first page or two looks like this:

...and then Preview locks up, though some other files (with or without annotations) render in a very low resolution without locking up. I've tried a couple of the solutions on the Apple boards like verifying fonts and wiping out Preview–related files in ~/Library without success. This post seems to be describing the exact same issue but the solution posted didn't help me.

Anybody have any ideas? :(

TACD fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 1, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I would like to use a notes app that would sync to all my iOS devices but not through like iCloud or Dropbox or anything. Either just synch with each other when on same WIFI or like with something I can set up on OwnCloud.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

I would like to use a notes app that would sync to all my iOS devices but not through like iCloud or Dropbox or anything. Either just synch with each other when on same WIFI or like with something I can set up on OwnCloud.
Yeah totally. It makes a lot of sense to make a great feature needlessly more complicated.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

GoldfishStew posted:

Why would you not want to use iCloud which "just works"? Seems silly. But to your point, OwnCloud has an iOS app, a MacOS client, and a Windows client. I'm not sure why you want to over-engineer this, though?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Binary Badger posted:

Man, the latest Little Snitch is so good, it mapped where I was getting weird pings from and I was able to get our networking guys to block based on that.

Is there a Windows equivalent?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Dick Trauma posted:

NetLimiter used to be recommended, but I've not messed with it in ages. I don't know if it's gotten better or worse.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

Pivo posted:

Those sound like pretty big problems for a file system to be having before being widely released & adopted

ZFS eats RAM for breakfast and when you're running a device with only one permanently-attached disk (as with most desktops and laptops today), you're just not getting everything out of ZFS that you can get with several. ZFS is amazing for a server with several drives installed as a RAID-Z2/3 array -- I've been running a Linux server for several years with a ZFS array -- but it's just not worth it when you're talking about one-drive systems.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

But what of the noble ReiserFS

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Not really. Ad Muncher is a OS-wide ad-blocker so you can set up URL filters and stuff globally rather than per-browser, but that doesn't come close to LS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weedle posted:

But what of the noble ReiserFS

[ X ] Murders your wife

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

eightysixed posted:

NetLimiter used to be recommended, but I've not messed with it in ages. I don't know if it's gotten better or worse.

Looks promising. I'll see what I can find out.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

GoldfishStew posted:

What is your reason for making something that just works perfectly out of the box so incredibly complicated?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Storing files on random servers makes me uncomfortable.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

GoldfishStew posted:

Goony as gently caress. You must work for the CIA, huh?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Goony as gently caress. You must work for the CIA, huh?
He probably doesn't want Apple to know where he's hiding the bodies.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

literally owns a realdoll

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

GoldfishStew posted:

put your shopping list in icloud and your realdoll parts list on an encrypted usb stick if it bothers you that much

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

GoldfishStew posted:

but you’re trusting that random software will keep your files secure even if it’s self-hosted 🤔

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Generic Monk posted:

put your shopping list in icloud and your realdoll parts list on an encrypted usb stick if it bothers you that much

Or use container encryption and put that in cloud storage? It can be as simple as an encrypted sparsebundle or if you're too :tinfoil: for that, use a third party solution like Jetico BestCrypt or VeraCrypt.

EDIT: I'm poo poo at BBCode.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

GoldfishStew posted:

As it should. But instead of trying to create a hacked-together bespoke solution for yourself, you should be working to get laws and regulations in place that protect the privacy and security of everyone, including yourself. These services aren't going away, and won't be replaced with custom things by most people.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
This thread is getting way too spergy, even by SA standards. Real dolls and tin foil hattery and whatnot.

Is there a better/free alternative to duet display? I'm kind of intrigued to see how using my iPad Pro as a graphics tablet would work, but I'm not about to drop £15 to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

Is there a better/free alternative to duet display? I'm kind of intrigued to see how using my iPad Pro as a graphics tablet would work, but I'm not about to drop £15 to find out.

No. Duet rocks as a second display, and I've yet to find any other product that performs as consistently. Spend the money.