Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

khysanth posted:

Have any recommendations to look at for backpackers/hikers? Both full size tripods and smaller ones.

My full size one is a Mefoto Roadtrip which I take on day/overnight hikes and while it's not carbon fibre it's still not too heavy and worth bringing for nice sunset shots. It's built well and folds up small enough to fit on the side of my rucksack. You can also use it as a monopod which is pretty cool.

For longer backpacking trips I've taken a gorillapod SLR zoom tripod which is wayyy more portable. Bonus is I can also use the mefoto tripod head on the gorillapod which is very useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Aphex- posted:

My full size one is a Mefoto Roadtrip which I take on day/overnight hikes and while it's not carbon fibre it's still not too heavy and worth bringing for nice sunset shots. It's built well and folds up small enough to fit on the side of my rucksack. You can also use it as a monopod which is pretty cool.

For longer backpacking trips I've taken a gorillapod SLR zoom tripod which is wayyy more portable. Bonus is I can also use the mefoto tripod head on the gorillapod which is very useful.

I've got a Mefoto 1350 that I use for my travel tripod, and I've been pretty happy with it. You pretty much have to hang your bag from the hook under the center post to keep it stable once it's set up though.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought this one and took it backpacking: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L6IUHUS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It held up well, just make sure if you take it apart for the monopod you dont lose the little plastic retainers. Other than that (we didnt lose them thankfully) it has been good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I found a Manfrotto on the ground in an alley so I'd definitely advise that.

Before that I had a 3 legged thing that looks similar to the mefoto 1350 which is ok but really needs ballast with a light wind and a lighter camera than yours.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a bigger Vanguard for MF/LF stuff with my Arca-Swiss B-1 ballhead and a smaller Vanguard with whatever random head came with it. Vanguard's distribution center is a 10 minutes' drive from my parent's house and they have garage sales with scratch-and-dent stuff, so I think they were $10 and $5 respectively. The B-1 was a separate purchase of course, but also highly recommended.

Don't bother with anything not Arca-compatible. It's pretty much the standard for L-brackets so you might as well standardize. I have a Kirk L-bracket for my P67s and a JTec for my NEX (both of which have lived on their cameras for years now), and a scratch-and-dent Wimberley P40 plate for my longer lenses. Along with the tripods and ballheads the whole setup is just incredibly convenient and helpful. You don't need to run out and drop $500 the day you buy your first camera but once you are to the point where you're thinking about L-series lenses you should have something decent to mount them with.

I used lovely heavy tripod legs and then I had one of the leg-locks let loose in the field and drop a camera, it's just not worth the risk of crappy stuff. Just buy decent stuff (used if necessary) and do it right.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 14, 2017

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Does anyone know of a good source for solid color muslin backgrounds in a wider range of colors than what you usually find at places like B&H, Adorama or even Amazon? It seems like when I go past 10' x 10' and reference 'dark blue' all I find is this granite looking stuff. Yeah I can get a white one and dye it but that's a real pain when working with larger pieces like 10' by 20'. Especially when you try the bucket method. Or in this case the big rear end Sterlite container method.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Something like this? You'll just need to sew a pocket along the top edge or use clamps.

That's 59" wide, some fabric stores will have double width rolls if that's not big enough.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

Something like this? You'll just need to sew a pocket along the top edge or use clamps.

That's 59" wide, some fabric stores will have double width rolls if that's not big enough.

That would work... though doing a bit of napkin math would bring the cost to about $120 per 10x20. Versus $38 for a white muslin of the same size along with $15 for dye and some time. And given where one shoot I'm trying to put together will need four of these I'm probably better off with the less expensive option for the moment.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Right, I was more highlighting the options vis a vis local fabric stores rather than endorsing a specific product. I'm sure that you can buy blackout cloth in a variety of colours much cheaper than that but as I don't know where you are, I just picked a random US online storefront.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

Right, I was more highlighting the options vis a vis local fabric stores rather than endorsing a specific product. I'm sure that you can buy blackout cloth in a variety of colours much cheaper than that but as I don't know where you are, I just picked a random US online storefront.

No worries. At least now I know double width cloth might be a possibility. I might hit up Joann's tomorrow (need to get a couple of things) and ask them what might be available. I was just surprised with how few choices there were in the places I would have thought would have something.

Edit: looks like double width is only available online for Joann's... and not in any colors I need.

Good thing the washing machine method works well for dyeing muslins.

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 21, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My Canon EFS 15-85 died and it's too expensive to bother going ahead with the repairs. I'm thinking of picking up the 70-300 F4 instead but I'm also looking for a cheaper replacement for my 15-85.

Any good value wide-ish angle lenses to use for landscapes, long exposures if I ever get time away from the kids and general pics of the dog/kids at the park?

I'll be using it with a 7D.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and follow up question. When it came to repairing my 15-85. The shop sent it away for inspection and I accepted their quote to get the following work done

quote:

Details of the work to be carried out are as follows: To dismantle the lens, replace the fixed tube, ultra sonic motor and the rollers. Lubricate as required. Carry out focus and resolution adjustment.

That work was completed but the lens was still not working and this was the reason

quote:

The workshop has fitted the USM and have now been able to fully test the lens and we have found intermittently the diaphragm unit is failing. The Lens will require a new Diaphragm.

The re-quote was too expensive so I asked for lens back. Does that mean they are going to dismantle the lens all over again and undo the work they have already done or am I going to score a free USM motor?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

Any good value wide-ish angle lenses to use for landscapes, long exposures if I ever get time away from the kids and general pics of the dog/kids at the park?

I'll be using it with a 7D.

I got canon's 18-55 2.8 recently and love everything about it. Granted, suggesting it is done without knowing what your idea of "value" is.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
SIgma and Tamron each do a 17-50mm f/2.8 for APS-C bodies at around $300. I have the Sigma version and it's nice. It's my go to walkabout lens.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Looten Plunder posted:

Oh, and follow up question. When it came to repairing my 15-85. The shop sent it away for inspection and I accepted their quote to get the following work done

That work was completed but the lens was still not working and this was the reason

The re-quote was too expensive so I asked for lens back. Does that mean they are going to dismantle the lens all over again and undo the work they have already done or am I going to score a free USM motor?

"Dear Sir, please fix my lens as I have already paid you to do. I am not paying more because you failed to diagnose the issue correctly"

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Do you guys have favorite easy-access lens holders? Stuff like Lens Flipper

Helen Highwater posted:

SIgma and Tamron each do a 17-50mm f/2.8 for APS-C bodies at around $300. I have the Sigma version and it's nice. It's my go to walkabout lens.

I rented the Tamron a few times and was smitten enough to go out and buy it. Extra points if you can find the VC version for a good price (got mine used)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

That seems like it's begging for the lens to be smacked up against something you really don't want it smacking up against. If you really need to be swapping lenses that fast, a bag with a zipper across the top is going to be just fine. Even in something faster paced like a wedding or sports event, you're going to have plenty of time to swap lenses when you need to, as long as you did a little prior planning and know what to pack.

E: Jesus christ i didn't even notice the price. $75 for a Chinese lens mount with a couple sling swivels attached to it? :laffo:

E2: oh my god their blog is literally 2 posts about the device, and one about why they love a thinktank bag that is literally the very competition to a gimmick like this :psyduck:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 25, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also their demo video has a copyright claim on it.

I guess if you love buying new lenses get one because you'll be in the market every couple months after smash up your current gear.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

DJExile posted:

That seems like it's begging for the lens to be smacked up against something you really don't want it smacking up against. If you really need to be swapping lenses that fast, a bag with a zipper across the top is going to be just fine. Even in something faster paced like a wedding or sports event, you're going to have plenty of time to swap lenses when you need to, as long as you did a little prior planning and know what to pack.

E: Jesus christ i didn't even notice the price. $75 for a Chinese lens mount with a couple sling swivels attached to it? :laffo:

E2: oh my god their blog is literally 2 posts about the device, and one about why they love a thinktank bag that is literally the very competition to a gimmick like this :psyduck:

I'm not looking for speed, just convenience: my current setup has the second lens either in my backpack or a pocket, and changing requires setting something down on the ground and wishing I had a third hand. I'm not swapping often, but if I'm out hiking or touristing or whatever it is a hassle.

I wasn't specifically calling out the lens flipper (although I'd probably go with the backpack strap clip if I did get it), I just figure everyone's got their own system for this problem?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For $75 you could easily get a good padded holster or one-lens bag/pouch by any reputable manufacturer. Thinktank, Lowepro Tenba and others all would have stuff I'd trust far more than the flipper.

E: If you're hiking your priority should absolutely be padding and protection over convenience. I get that lens swapping can be annoying at times but I'd far rather take the extra second to unzip a bag than potentially hit the wrong release button on that flipper and send a lens dropping from hip height. As long as you find a good bag with an opening along the top, it's going to be far better for you in the long run.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 25, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

"Dear Sir, please fix my lens as I have already paid you to do. I am not paying more because you failed to diagnose the issue correctly"

I haven't paid them anything though (apart from the inspection fee)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For hiking I'd recommend a quality backpack and pick one "default" lens that will suit you most of the time. Then when you see a spot that needs wide angle or a super tele, take off the backpack and dig out what you need.

Main issue is you want a balanced load when hiking, having poo poo hanging off your waist will get annoying after several miles. If you use poles it'll be even more annoying.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

I got fed up of carrying a backpack just to hold a spare lens or two, so I bought a little LowePro Format 140 shoulder bag. It's going to be snug if you want it to hold a larger DSLR with any lens bigger than about 200mm on it but I carry my camera on a sling strap separately and just use the bag for lenses, small accessories and maybe a spare film camera. You can fit 2-3 unmounted lenses in there as long as they aren't super-tele monstrosities. I just about got a 70-200 and a 50mm in at the same time but it was tight. If you take all the dividers out, you can comfortably fit a medium format camera and a bunch of 120 film in there instead.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

If you're going to buy something like this, I would probably recommend Peak's version over this for a few reasons

A) Their clip system for attaching it to a backpack or belt is a lot sturdier than this thing looks with it's backpack clip
B) Known company with a reputation to uphold that has quickly identified design flaws and rectified them in the past

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

the Tamron (without stabilization) is sharp as hell and a really good recommendation. If you like the angles you get on the standard 17-50 or 18-55 lenses, either Tamron or Sigma is a great upgrade.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I'm looking for a gift for less than $1000 for someone wanting to leave smartphone photography behind, in particularly for travel (and moving to Europe for a couple months). I have a Canon 40D and understand that system, but I don't understand Nikon or these newfangled mirrorless. So I'm thinking of a Rebel and a kit lens, or an upgrade, in order to make a good camera and lens system as a starter. But for someone not invested in a brand now, it seems like maybe the Sony a6000 or Nikon D3400 is the better option for this kind of simple starter system.

Second, is a flash important for a beginner? I feel like the bounce flash opened up all the indoor pictures I do of my kids and family, but I don't know if it's really that important for a beginner, especially since ISOs are insanely high now on new cameras.

Thanks!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Is there a topic for videography discussion here? I'm looking at buying a new video camera for the first time in about 8 years since 4k 60p is now attainable in low end pro camcorders and I'm waffling about what I want to get.

I'm a railfan and my primary use for this camera will be filming trains. My most likely choice right now would be the Panasonic AG-DVX200, but I'm also considering the HC-X1 as a cheaper alternative, but I don't think it's worth it for the downgrade from the 4/3 sensor to 1". I'm very partial to the camcorder format as I need to be able to set up quickly and have good auto-focus. I also like doing long zoom approach shots so having a 10x+ motor driven zoom is pretty important to me. I am still somewhat considering the Panasonic GH5, but that cuts my options as far as zoom and setup will not be as fast. I do like that it would allow me to dabble in still photography as well, since I've never had a good stills camera.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions I'd appreciate it. This may be the wrong place for these questions ultimately but I figured I'd give it a shot since I didn't see a video topic.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Tewdrig posted:

I'm looking for a gift for less than $1000 for someone wanting to leave smartphone photography behind, in particularly for travel (and moving to Europe for a couple months). I have a Canon 40D and understand that system, but I don't understand Nikon or these newfangled mirrorless.

Go to the mirrorless thread and ask. They will tell you about a m43 system that is small, cute, light. Fuji too. They'll also tell you about Fuji. They'll say no to Sony. I think it's Olympus that is cheap and good. Like half your budget cheap. They'll also want to know what style of photography. Shooting babies? Shooting on the street? Portraits?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tewdrig posted:

I'm looking for a gift for less than $1000 for someone wanting to leave smartphone photography behind, in particularly for travel (and moving to Europe for a couple months). I have a Canon 40D and understand that system, but I don't understand Nikon or these newfangled mirrorless. So I'm thinking of a Rebel and a kit lens, or an upgrade, in order to make a good camera and lens system as a starter. But for someone not invested in a brand now, it seems like maybe the Sony a6000 or Nikon D3400 is the better option for this kind of simple starter system.

Second, is a flash important for a beginner? I feel like the bounce flash opened up all the indoor pictures I do of my kids and family, but I don't know if it's really that important for a beginner, especially since ISOs are insanely high now on new cameras.

Thanks!

If you want to go DSLR, would recommend a used Canon x0D - 50D forward has video, 60D and 70D should both be available fairly cheap used. Nikon users can let us know the decent equivalents but I think it's the D7000 series (D7000, D7100, D7200 being the used options).

Best starting lens recommendation would be the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 2.8 - I've linked to Tamron's without image stabilization, which is $300 new on Amazon still. If you go Canon, I'd also suggest the 24mm pancake lens as a good walk-around option as well.

Flashes aren't hugely important. The 40D era was about the end of ISO 1,600 being the real limit, the 60D can do 6,400 without expansion so that helps in low-light situations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Not really Camera Gear, but related:

Do anyone have any experience with photo editing/Lightroom performance with the newest CPUs? Specifically Intels i7-7700 processors vs AMD Ryzen 7's.
The Ryzen CPUs have more cores and threads than the Intels and aparently cores/threads are good for photo editing.

I have been picking parts for a new computer lately because i am sick of Lightroom performance in my current computer which is 7 years old. I realise that Lightroom performance isn't amazing even on extremely high end computers but surely any modern computer is going to be faster than my nearly decade old rig.
I originally opted for an Intel i7-7700 processor but am being recommended the Ryzen 7's. Availability of Ryzen related stuff like motherboards, CPU coolers etc is very lackluster here so i am wondering if it is worth the hassle to go for a Ryzen? If we are talking like twice the performance then it is worth waiting for Ryzen hardware to be more available but if the increase is like 20% i'll just go for the Intel.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Lightroom is not very multithreaded. Until they release their performance update throwing more cores at it will not make the system faster. Even LR's threaded tasks can't take advantage of more than four cores.

Stick with Intel, the single threaded performance will be important for now.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kefkafloyd posted:

Lightroom is not very multithreaded. Until they release their performance update throwing more cores at it will not make the system faster. Even LR's threaded tasks can't take advantage of more than four cores.

Stick with Intel, the single threaded performance will be important for now.

Honestly you're not going to see even that big of a loss between Intel and Ryzen for now in LR. When they release the performance update if they improve multithreaded performance that Ryzen is going to be nice.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks!

Sticking with the Intel then. Going with Ryzen means i have to pick an ATX motherboard, as micro ATX or mini ITX AMD boards are not available here yet

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ineptitude posted:

Not really Camera Gear, but related:

Do anyone have any experience with photo editing/Lightroom performance with the newest CPUs? Specifically Intels i7-7700 processors vs AMD Ryzen 7's.
The Ryzen CPUs have more cores and threads than the Intels and aparently cores/threads are good for photo editing.

I have been picking parts for a new computer lately because i am sick of Lightroom performance in my current computer which is 7 years old. I realise that Lightroom performance isn't amazing even on extremely high end computers but surely any modern computer is going to be faster than my nearly decade old rig.
I originally opted for an Intel i7-7700 processor but am being recommended the Ryzen 7's. Availability of Ryzen related stuff like motherboards, CPU coolers etc is very lackluster here so i am wondering if it is worth the hassle to go for a Ryzen? If we are talking like twice the performance then it is worth waiting for Ryzen hardware to be more available but if the increase is like 20% i'll just go for the Intel.

I'm running LR on an 8 year old Mac Pro (see: obsolete at release) and it's not noticeably quicker on far newer machines.

:ssh: Adobe CC software performance is garbage :ssh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Running on an SSD will improve Lightroom way more than your processor.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The fasted speed boost Ive ever seen on LR was creating smart previews on import then disconnecting the raw folder (renaming or unplugging) and just working on the smart previews until its ready for export.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Theophany posted:

I'm running LR on an 8 year old Mac Pro (see: obsolete at release) and it's not noticeably quicker on far newer machines.

:ssh: Adobe CC software performance is garbage :ssh:

Tony Northrup made a supercharged computer for like $5k specifically for Lightroom and said LR was still sluggish but i was expecting there to be SOME improvement in upgrading a 7 year old computer. This is pretty dissapointing :(

xzzy posted:

Running on an SSD will improve Lightroom way more than your processor.

Yeah, already running it from a SSD, well the software itself as well as the catalog. The photos are on a HDD. I guess i really should move those to a SSD as well but i don't want to buy a 2 TB SSD, that is still very expensive. I need to get better at deleting photos.

With photos from my 5D3 LR performance was alright but it was a huge difference when i went to 5D4. Don't want to imagine how slow it must be with a 5DSr or similar megapixel photos.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 3, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Theophany posted:

:ssh: Adobe CC software is garbage :ssh:

fixed that for you

sadly, most other software is even more garbage, and none (except DxO for a few things) is actually good

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

blowfish posted:

fixed that for you

sadly, most other software is even more garbage, and none (except DxO for a few things) is actually good

Sad but true. Some of it is ok though, I'd say InDesign is a lot better than the alternatives (as opposed to being 'less poo poo than'). The issue I have is that I use Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, Audition and Acrobat regularly, so having all those apps in one place makes finding alternatives to 'just use Adobe CC' too much :effort: to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah, already running it from a SSD, well the software itself as well as the catalog. The photos are on a HDD. I guess i really should move those to a SSD as well but i don't want to buy a 2 TB SSD, that is still very expensive. I need to get better at deleting photos.

My workaround for the small SSD issue is to import into a new catalog on the SSD, keep the photos there until I've filtered rated and edited, then import into my main catalog living on an HDD.

Lightroom is actually a very good asset manager in this regard and it's about as painless a process as it could be.

Just make sure to click any boxes asking if it should move the originals and browse to your catalog to confirm.