Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Phanatic posted:

If she was expecting to be paid a set amount of money for the work, there was a contract. Oral contracts are entirely valid and enforceable contracts, they're just difficult to verify. So congratulations for helping to screw someone on a deal, I guess.
I'd expect a contract to have a proviso of "work must be of acceptable quality" and you don't have to pay if the work looks like it was taken by a 12 year old with a potato. So congratulations for supporting substandard shitheads overcharging for terrible work, I guess.

chitoryu12 posted:

Does that mean they technically get more money because it's being doubled, or do they delete your other coins if you spend them on one system?
Well, the chains are flagged differently after the split, so while technically your coins are doubled, not everyone is honouring both chains, so one is going to go down in value because it's going to be really hard to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I wish they had a word for the anticipation of great schadenfreude. This is going to be glorious:

Youtube will (finally!!!) start cracking down on bigots:

https://youtube.googleblog.com/2017/08/an-update-on-our-commitment-to-fight.html?m=1

quote:

Tougher standards: We’ll soon be applying tougher treatment to videos that aren’t illegal but have been flagged by users as potential violations of our policies on hate speech and violent extremism. If we find that these videos don’t violate our policies but contain controversial religious or supremacist content, they will be placed in a limited state. The videos will remain on YouTube behind an interstitial, won’t be recommended, won’t be monetized, and won’t have key features including comments, suggested videos, and likes. We’ll begin to roll this new treatment out to videos on desktop versions of YouTube in the coming weeks, and will bring it to mobile experiences soon thereafter. These new approaches entail significant new internal tools and processes, and will take time to fully implement

Now I hope I stop getting suggested a shitload of alt-right videos and FEMINISTS GETTING OWNED compilations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like this approach, it cuts the "but mah free speech" bullshit off at the pass. Sure, you can have your racist hate videos on our site, you just can't monetize it in any way or use it to spark a KKK circle jerk in the comments section.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I like this approach, it cuts the "but mah free speech" bullshit off at the pass. Sure, you can have your racist hate videos on our site, you just can't monetize it in any way or use it to spark a KKK circle jerk in the comments section.

Me too. If you look at the alt-right now, you can see that the alt-right followers don't really put their money where their mouth is. See how little they make on Patreon (also on hatreon, lol) or how many books Milo sold.

The main source of money for this people is youtube itself, who has been financing most of the movement. This might be a big blow to them, to the point where I wonder if Youtube won't end up backing down from this.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

I worked at Sea World at the water ski show. One of the other shows had one of these at the lake to practice on. We were told that if we touched it we would be fired immediately and this is a good example of why.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The schadenfreuden is that in 20 years our brains will have img servers implanted in them for storing beloved photos of important life events.
And our brains will be terabytes of goatse and dickbutt.

And Tubgirl. Don't forget Tubgirl.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

And Tubgirl. Don't forget Tubgirl.

:barf:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

WebDog posted:

As for horrible interviews, here's Sky News's Kay Burley going in for the kill on poor Peter Andre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybiM51194MA

gently caress me, talk about twisting the knife. And then twisting it again. And again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hate you, so much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

nerdz posted:

The main source of money for this people is youtube itself, who has been financing most of the movement. This might be a big blow to them, to the point where I wonder if Youtube won't end up backing down from this.

They won't care about a vocal minority, they care about advertisers. Most advertisers will be pleased by this move since it further limits the chance that their product becomes attached to things like IS propaganda videos.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Phanatic posted:

my speedlight was tripping the optical trigger on the flash units he'd set over the dance floor. Use radio triggers, people.
This is hilarious.

Phanatic posted:

If she was expecting to be paid a set amount of money for the work, there was a contract. Oral contracts are entirely valid and enforceable contracts, they're just difficult to verify. So congratulations for helping to screw someone on a deal, I guess.

It's the Schadenfreude thread. Just enjoy the pain.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The Sicilian posted:

You brain has petabytes of storage already. Sorry if your'e a sad brain dumb gently caress.

Sorry, buddy. Im not into negging.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

EmmyOk posted:

There's a lot of rumours about celebrities being annoyed afterwards because they didn't know what they were getting into or refusing to do the show because they'd get mocked too much. The latter is quite understandable to me I guess, Amstell's run was always going to end sooner rather than later because of his style and also he just wanted to do different things. The really stupid stuff was Jupitus and Fielding trashing him after he left for being too mean though Fielding later said he never made those comments. Jupitus was more than happy to make money on the show considering it had much higher ratings and won it's first awards during Amsterll's tenure. You can talk all you want about "I nearly walked" but you didn't and you waited until he was gone to publicly denounce him.

What's your opinion/knowledge on Bill Bailey leaving? I thought that he was obviously not having too much fun in the role any more.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is hilarious.

It took me a few shots to realize why everything I was taking was horribly overexposed. The first time I figured "Oh, someone's P&S flashed right as I hit the shutter," but it kept happening. Dialed the flash down as low as it goes, it was still happening. I eventually just held the camera away from my face and fired a few times to see what the hell. Yep, every time my flash fired all his strobes went off.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nerdz posted:

Me too. If you look at the alt-right now, you can see that the alt-right followers don't really put their money where their mouth is. See how little they make on Patreon (also on hatreon, lol) or how many books Milo sold.

My main concern is how automated this process will be- if all it takes for a video to get shagged is 'X amount of reports', then what's to stop the alt-Reich from doing the same to videos they don't like? If there were living, breathing humans behind the process I'd feel a lot better about things.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Phanatic posted:

It took me a few shots to realize why everything I was taking was horribly overexposed. The first time I figured "Oh, someone's P&S flashed right as I hit the shutter," but it kept happening. Dialed the flash down as low as it goes, it was still happening. I eventually just held the camera away from my face and fired a few times to see what the hell. Yep, every time my flash fired all his strobes went off.

I don't understand why in the flying gently caress you would think that's acceptable, but then again I've never shot a wedding without a second shooter either. :zaeed:

Edit: holyshit somehow googling 'second shooter' for a .gif of JFK found me this:
http://secondinseconds.com/

GnarlyCharlie4u has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Aug 2, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Say Nothing posted:

(It does sound fake, I know).

It's a real story that's been embellished: the paragraph of injuries is fake. The version you linked changed the assailants name because they wanted to make it clear that the assailant was black. It's a "marines got to stomp the poo poo out of a friend of the family" story that people like passing around, for obvious reasons.

His real name is Tracey Attaway, not "Tyrone Jackson," and he got a life sentence.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news-metro-latest-news-crime-courts/2011-10-04/waynesboro-man-gets-life-prison-term-stabbing-marine

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

CommissarMega posted:

My main concern is how automated this process will be- if all it takes for a video to get shagged is 'X amount of reports', then what's to stop the alt-Reich from doing the same to videos they don't like? If there were living, breathing humans behind the process I'd feel a lot better about things.

Agreed. Hasn't the main concern for Youtube been that their processes are pretty opaque and they automate too much stuff like copyright take downs? I hope they have a good system in mind when something like a Barney the Dinosaur clip gets flagged for hate-speech and the poster can appeal in a timely manner.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't understand why in the flying gently caress you would think that's acceptable,

I didn't! I stopped as soon as I figured it out and just turned off my flash and cranked the ISO. I wasn't just there as a guest, I didn't want to screw up any of the actual wedding photography.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's such a big arbitrage play to be made here.

That is literally the only reason bitcoins have ever existed. Its a bunch of libertarians trying to play arbitrage against other libertarians, and most of them are losing money.

Its really not very profitable, no.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

That is literally the only reason bitcoins have ever existed. Its a bunch of libertarians trying to play arbitrage against other libertarians, and most of them are losing money.

Its really not very profitable, no.

A bitcoin has a lot of value on paper, but whether you can actually use them for anything meaningful or exchange them for actual money that you can use on anything meaningful is a whole different story.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

EmmyOk posted:

Simon Amstell was the king of torturing flash in the pan celebrities, or people who just really shouldn't be famous. I'll never forget him innocently asking Jermaine Jackson if it was awkward raising his brothers kids after marrying his former sister-in-law. Then after letting it stew asking Jermaine "so has Michael ever done anything weird?". For anyone who's not familiar he was the host of a music panel show in the UK called Never Mind The Buzzcocks. The cast was made up of host and two teams of three with permanent team captains. Each week they'd have four guests (two per team) and play a variety of pop music quiz games. NMTB had a lot of one hit wonders or unknown indie artists on but also people like Adele, Amy Winehouse, and Lily Allen too. There were plenty of non-musical celebrities too like Jeremy Clarkson and Martin Freeman.

This video is a series of clips from an episode where a guest called Preston walked off. Preston was a singer for a band called The Ordinary Boys but he was really known from his stint on Celebrity Big Brother where he met and married another Z-lister called Chantelle. One of Simon's favourite way's to wind people up was to read extract's from their biographies or in this case their wife's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI

e: He also used to be an interviewer for Popworld and used to give popstars the most awkward interviews ever. He once made Britney Spears cry when he asked her if she thought she'd gone a bit mad.

Simon Amstell is amazing. After quitting NMTB he made a show called "Grandma's House" which is autobiographical and shows his life after quitting the show. Also his standups are great.

That is all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Phanatic posted:

I didn't! I stopped as soon as I figured it out and just turned off my flash and cranked the ISO. I wasn't just there as a guest, I didn't want to screw up any of the actual wedding photography.

Sorry, I meant for the photographer to not use IR triggers. Not for you to use a flash.
Especially if he's got multiple flashes set up.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Working as a wedding videographer is possibly worse than photographer.

Or in my case it was with a company that got your starting at 5am and usually home by 3am the next morning.

They also had no idea what they were doing and just brought gear at random as they thought better tech = better result.

This included a steady cam rig that was unable to work on DSLRs as the weight of these cameras are too light. That was 5K well wasted.

The rest of the shooting was generally multi-cam, so you have around 35 hours to cut later.

Plus they undercharged what they were worth. So they end up with amazingly budget weddings.

Some were cool, like the heavy metal themed wedding.

The first one I cut had the groom drinking Jim Beam in cans all day. Complete with a "hold my drink" moment for the vows.

He was barely in the mood.

He later bailed on the bride midway through the first dance to drink more with his mates outside.

But I stopped working for them because the pay wasn't worth driving home with sheer sleep deprivation at 3am.

They soon went under.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

What's your opinion/knowledge on Bill Bailey leaving? I thought that he was obviously not having too much fun in the role any more.

It was a shame that he left but totally understandable iirc. He basically wanted to be able to tour more freely but was caught up filming a lot hence that season break he took where they had rotating captains. Also like you said he was clearly getting tired of it and wanted to move on to new things. It's why Amstell left, he had a good run but didn't want to get pigeon holed and had much more unusual projects he wanted to do!

burexas.irom posted:

Simon Amstell is amazing. After quitting NMTB he made a show called "Grandma's House" which is autobiographical and shows his life after quitting the show. Also his standups are great.

That is all.

I was 18 or so when Grandma's House came out and I wasn't super into it originally because I was expecting Simon Amstell TV host the series. Later on when I grew up a bit and realised what he was doing I realised how genius it was. His standup is wonderful because it's a very anxious and guy getting eviscerated by another guy with an acid tongue. Amstell just happens to be both of them. "My ex-boyfriend told me it was just too hard for him to be Simon Amstell's boy friend, which hurt. Because I'm Simon Amstel". I get to go see him live in November :getin:

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
I have a massive crush on Simon Amstell

http://i.imgur.com/WqVTX32.gifv

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

EmmyOk posted:

It was a shame that he left but totally understandable iirc. He basically wanted to be able to tour more freely but was caught up filming a lot hence that season break he took where they had rotating captains. Also like you said he was clearly getting tired of it and wanted to move on to new things. It's why Amstell left, he had a good run but didn't want to get pigeon holed and had much more unusual projects he wanted to do!

He never criticised Amstell, but I always liked how he said that "I've got grave 5 clarinet, I'm better than this" about the later buzzcocks episodes. He's so clearly done.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

dumb. posted:

oh thank gently caress

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

He never criticised Amstell, but I always liked how he said that "I've got grave 5 clarinet, I'm better than this" about the later buzzcocks episodes. He's so clearly done.

Yeah and it's a super understandable moment. I can only imagine that some day you wake up and think "I'm better than picking some hasbeen out of line-up while sat beside two people who could be in it in a year's time if they can't get a job in Tesco". If anything it's a condemnation that Jupitus stayed there since its inception when everyone else left after they did a couple of seasons. I think Amstell's run was incredible because it was so against the grain of typical panel shows existing to promote their guest's new release as well as fifteen minute celebrity culture in general. The episode where they had the lead singer of Stereophonics on selling their greatest hits and Simon keeps reading out fan letters asking how to get the new CD if they don't live near shops or have the internet etc.

I don't mind criticising Simon at all but it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth that Jupitus waited until Simon left to poo poo all over him and his time there as well as just before Jupitus released his biography.

content: Skrillex

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

dumb. posted:

Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire are having a good laugh about this in the afterlife.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Read this thread all of it.
https://twitter.com/Tom_On_Line/status/892850355389833216

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Some NSFW images... FYI

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Burning_Monk posted:

Some NSFW images... FYI

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/02/bus-seats-mistaken-burqas-anti-immigrant-group-norwegian

Norway suddenly opposed to public transport.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://i.imgur.com/AKgLm6i.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/G125rnm.gifv

Power Outage In N.C.'s Outer Banks Could Take Weeks To Fix

quote:

North Carolina's Outer Banks has been without electricity for days – and that could last for weeks, according to estimates of how long it will take to repair transmission lines that were inadvertently severed by a bridge construction crew.

PCL Construction, which is building a new span to replace the old Bonner Bridge across the Oregon Inlet, has acknowledged that early Thursday its workers drove a steel casing through a major underground transmission cable belonging to the Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative. The accident has left thousands of residents without power and forced vacationers to depart.

Someone hired a plane to fly over the work in the area yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/y2Osg8d.gifv

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The hell is going on here?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hell is going on here?

Horizontal boring drill accidentally came out in the parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Almost as good as the (I think it was a) goon who infiltrated a racist FB group, making the page like, the Michelle Obama appreciation page, or something like that, then started actively trolling the members. I think HuffPo or some online need source did an article about it.

Edit: Here's the article. It was Vice, and it was originally a white pride group. Fair warning: this is a pro-loving click. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/avyjkz/virgil-texas-white-power-facebook-group-troll

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Aug 3, 2017