Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Wait, it works against Adamantoise?

Looks like it's time for me to reboot that game again...

I was in the middle of looking up a long and involved guide for taking on Adamantoise when a goon told me "Dude, just use the ring". I think it took me maybe 10 mins total (whereas the Adamantoise fight when done without the ring can take an hour or more).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had to do the adamantoise legit before they buffed the ring and I do not recommend it.

I also wish you could fight baby adamantoises cause I see there skeletons around, you jerks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I kind of stopped playing XV after I was in one of the optional dungeons and got tired of having to fight the same lovely enemies over and over again. The Adamantoise trophy was the last one I needed to get platinum too. I had everything mostly ready, including the zwill crossblades and whatnot. I guess I got something to do tonight!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The first time I used adarna on the big turtle it died. Was pretty funny

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
just keep in mind the success rate is affected by your magic stat (I believe), so boost that as much as you can with accessories/arms/food/etc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yiazmat is a dumb fight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WORLD OF RUIN is hilarious because it's just talcott explaining all the things they cut or didn't have time to make cutscenes for. At least his truck has all the cactuar figures you gave him

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hot tip for Trial Mode: do it the second time Larsa is with you and have him just constantly use Shades of Black. Getting lucky with that let me get hilariously far for how low level everyone is at that point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

Hot tip for Trial Mode: do it the second time Larsa is with you and have him just constantly use Shades of Black. Getting lucky with that let me get hilariously far for how low level everyone is at that point.

You can also do this with a Bushi, thanks to mystic armor and Magick Lores. Shades of Black is awesome in the Zodiac versions.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
How does Shades of Black work? Like I get the general idea from reading the description but does it draw from spells a character knows or is it any random spell in the game or what?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

How does Shades of Black work? Like I get the general idea from reading the description but does it draw from spells a character knows or is it any random spell in the game or what?

Random from the entire list of black magic spells, not limited to what the character knows or what you've found. You have an equal chance to cast anything, which means you're as likely to cast Blind as you are to cast Scathe.

For when you get it, it's amazing, because the majority of the spells you can draw are at least as strong as what a Black Mage could cast at the time, and many are stronger. It's not uncommon to just wipe enemy groups with Scourge or Scathe or something by using Shades of Black. And because it's a Technick, it doesn't cost MP, so you can spam it forever.

I'd say an actual Black Mage is always better, just because you always know what you can cast and you can boost it with an elemental staff, but Shades of Black is a ton of fun in the mid-game.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 2, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

Random from the entire list of black magic spells, not limited to what the character knows or what you've found. You have an equal chance to cast anything, which means you're as likely to cast Blind as you are to cast Scathe.

For when you get it, it's amazing, because the majority of the spells you can draw are at least as strong as what a Black Mage could cast at the time, and many are stronger. It's not uncommon to just wipe enemy groups with Scourge or Scathe or something by using Shades of Black. And because it's a Technick, it doesn't cost MP, so you can spam it forever.

I'd say an actual Black Mage is always better, just because you always know what you can cast and you can boost it with an elemental staff, but Shades of Black is a ton of fun in the mid-game.

It's also a really nice fallback for melee characters before you get Telekinesis too.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Yiazmat is a dumb fight.

:agreed: but it was fun

zodiark is harder though imo

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

precision posted:

I've been doing pretty much everything I can with Larsa. He was already the most useful guest imo in the original version due to his unlimited sack of hi potions but his spell list in this version makes him even more useful.

I'm going to miss the little scamp. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't have too much trouble with Zodiark but Yiazmat is irking me a bit. The first ~45 literal millions of HP is mindlessly dumb and simple but the aggression on the last two or three health bars of his are annoying me now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ROFL Octopus posted:

I've been doing pretty much everything I can with Larsa. He was already the most useful guest imo in the original version due to his unlimited sack of hi potions but his spell list in this version makes him even more useful.

I'm going to miss the little scamp. :smith:

Honestly Larsa should have been a permanent party member, he's way better than 33% of the existing cast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It actually bothers me unreasonably that's there's a whole system for a fourth party member but it's only used when you you have a guest character.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

precision posted:

Honestly Larsa should have been a permanent party member, he's way better than 33% of the existing cast.

:agreed:

Kid's not even a teenager and he's one of the biggest badasses in the game.

Sakurazuka posted:

It actually bothers me unreasonably that's there's a whole system for a fourth party member but it's only used when you you have a guest character.

It's not unreasonable at all. For example, magic is most powerful when you cast reflect on your party and cast a group spell on it. With a fourth party member you're doing significantly more damage just by virtue of them being there.

And that's just one of many things a fourth party member gives you. It's especially hosed up because guests are for the most part fully functional party members in this version of the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He couldn't even kill his older brother that he actively knew was evil asnd had to use proxy agents fighting proxy wars to do his dirty work for him. Some "badass"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I didn't have too much trouble with Zodiark but Yiazmat is irking me a bit. The first ~45 literal millions of HP is mindlessly dumb and simple but the aggression on the last two or three health bars of his are annoying me now.

remember to swap wind resistance accessories before cyclone after he doubles his level, otherwise youre pretty much owned.

also remember you can quickly run and zone out to autosave then run back in to save your progress in case things go bad

Gologle posted:

He couldn't even kill his older brother that he actively knew was evil asnd had to use proxy agents fighting proxy wars to do his dirty work for him. Some "badass"
do you think venat would have let some kiddo stab him

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If I just wrapped up great crystal and need to go to Pharos, is that near the end? I'm trying to do hunts and espers while I have Reddas, but some things seem a bit too strong for me right now (main three around 47, B team about 40). Is there a good leveling spot I missed?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Emron posted:

If I just wrapped up great crystal and need to go to Pharos, is that near the end? I'm trying to do hunts and espers while I have Reddas, but some things seem a bit too strong for me right now (main three around 47, B team about 40). Is there a good leveling spot I missed?

Henne Mines infamously has a spot you can infinitely grind with Break.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

decided to go through great crystal for once and see what i missed out on

i regret everything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

You are near the end, yes.

Look up Henne Mines leveling if you want to just full-on level grind, though really equipment and licenses are going to be more important overall. Also you're like 10 levels higher than my party at that same point, but I suspect the fact that I've been essentially cheesing random battles with the potent secret combination of "just use black magic with an elemental staff equipped" means I've been getting away with things I shouldn't be.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

episode prompto is p good

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I think I'm done with FF12 now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ff15 multiplayer beta tomorrow

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

It's a tough job.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BGrifter posted:

It's a tough job.

Paine is pretty good.

corn in the bible posted:

episode prompto is p good

So is episode prompto, surprisingly.

I haven't tried the new boss they added to the game, is it interesting at all?

Because I'm playing Type0 now and I actually enjoy the combat in that a hell of a lot more than XV and thats pretty damning. I'm having a hard time working up the energy to go back and finish off the XV trophies I'm missing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the new boss is another ffxv boss, it is a boss and you fight it. exciting stuff.....

prompto on the other hand is a short third person shooter where you sneak around a base and fight metal gear, so it is much better

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just started FF15 and boy is it something. I get to draw magic like FF8, the magic has friendly fire so it's loving useless, the game plays itself like FF12/13, I can't explore anything in the wilds without having to deal with a loving imperial dropship every 60 goddamned seconds, and said dropship has like 8 guys with machine guns who mow my party down in seconds flat. Please convince me to not get a refund because I'm really not enjoying this, even after I finally got to drive on my own and not have Ignis grandma-drive me to sidequests.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the friendly fire from magic does very little damage and it's easy to heal people so it doesn't ever matter, just throw it at poo poo. and you can just walk away from magitek troopers, they will never chase you.

otherwise all your complaints are valid! ff15!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I just started FF15 and boy is it something. I get to draw magic like FF8, the magic has friendly fire so it's loving useless, the game plays itself like FF12/13, I can't explore anything in the wilds without having to deal with a loving imperial dropship every 60 goddamned seconds, and said dropship has like 8 guys with machine guns who mow my party down in seconds flat. Please convince me to not get a refund because I'm really not enjoying this, even after I finally got to drive on my own and not have Ignis grandma-drive me to sidequests.

Why would you buy FF15 at this point in time and not look up a loving single review first? :psyduck: Its been out forever and everybody could tell you what its like.

I really really do not understand you "buy first, return later" goons. I really don't.

No, 15 is a poo poo game, you should have asked first.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

There is friendly fire on the magic, but it does like single digit damage on your teammates. Use magic liberally to nuke big groups of enemies.
I'm not sure how you mean the game plays itself especially since 13 didn't.
For the dropships: you can either gain some levels, use magic to nuke the dropship troopers as they land or just run away from them.

If you still don't like it, get a refund.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Why would you buy FF15 at this point in time and not look up a loving single review first? :psyduck: Its been out forever and everybody could tell you what its like.

I really really do not understand you "buy first, return later" goons. I really don't.

No, 15 is a poo poo game, you should have asked first.

I asked all my friends about it and they were like "yeah FF15 is great, it rules!" and thanks to them I started playing gems like Witcher 3 and Dark Souls but I guess nobody's perfect.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i like ff15 and zaphod42 is literally always wrong but if you don't like the game in chapter 3 or 4 you should definitely return it yeah cause you won't like whats comin next

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

And Tyler Too! posted:

It's bad, but will you be ok with having played 14 out of 15 main series Final Fantasies? It was worth the $30 to me for that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I asked all my friends about it and they were like "yeah FF15 is great, it rules!" and thanks to them I started playing gems like Witcher 3 and Dark Souls but I guess nobody's perfect.

Yeah your friends mislead you then. Its a very pretty game with a good fishing minigame and some decently satisfying button mashy combat but hoo boy the story is a mess and the game goes nowhere. The best part is that big open area at the beginning. Its more a Skyrim game than an FF.

BGrifter posted:

It's bad, but will you be ok with having played 14 out of 15 main series Final Fantasies? It was worth the $30 to me for that.

For this reason I'm not too bummed about having bought it though. Was still interesting if only to see where Square went wrong.

Game's development cycle was just too much of a mess and you can really feel it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i liked literally the whole game except chapter 13 but then i also didnt do any of the terrible sidequests

but its clearly unfinished yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Zaphod42 posted:

For this reason I'm not too bummed about having bought it though. Was still interesting if only to see where Square went wrong.

Game's development cycle was just too much of a mess and you can really feel it.

I'd have been pretty pissed if I paid full retail for it. But for $30 I'm glad I played through it. Helps make the characters mean something in better games like Final Fantasy Record Keeper and Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.