Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Getting a game that is crashing upon saving after a certain year. Keep getting this error in the error.log file. This is the most recent entry, so I am assuming these lines indicate the problem.

[effectimplementation.cpp:2048]: Non Aggression Pact Opinion Effect doesn't have an origin description
[effectimplementation.cpp:2048]: Non Aggression Pact Opinion Effect doesn't have an origin description
[gfx_dx9.cpp:1450]: Error create vertices -2005530516 8 0 20
[gfx_dx9.cpp:1453]: managed

So what can I find and delete in the save file to save the save?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Grand Prize Winner posted:

screenshot this bar please I cannot find it

It's gone now in my game. A line must have dropped off causing the scroll bar to no longer be needed. But when you click in the crest of your primary title at the bottom of the window that pops up is an Income/Expenses report. I never noticed it before, but if it's longer than can fit in the little box it'll get a scroll bar. Because of that I was able to see how much money the merc company was pulling in (about half as much as my churches pay me in taxes).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm trying to get scotland through marriage but ffs everyone who will get my characters in line to the thrown keeps dying

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that'll happen. Usually the only way to actually gain a title through inheritance is with multiple redundant marriages set up, or just getting really lucky. Ideally, both.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Midnight Voyager posted:

You can fix vices into virtues, if you happen to want to do that. Or you can get rid of celibacy! Christian holy orders aren't particularly interesting, but they do have some uses.

The big thing for me is teaching Virtues. Theres zero downside as long as you don't have Chaste. You can also teach virtues to infants, so you can give your heir three virtues by the time they're 21. Between that and correcting Vices, you generally don't have to worry about the next generation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah that'll happen. Usually the only way to actually gain a title through inheritance is with multiple redundant marriages set up, or just getting really lucky. Ideally, both.

My character was 3rd in line with the 2 heirs being 12 and 8 and then I couldn't get a plot to fire and then came the black death

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So I've tried joining the Hermetics like 25 different times and I have literally never gotten a mission or ability to build a laboratory.

What gives? What do I need to do?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

cock hero flux posted:

So I've tried joining the Hermetics like 25 different times and I have literally never gotten a mission or ability to build a laboratory.

Happens to every one of my hermetics.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Do you have an apprentice? Many if not all of the missions require one.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

binge crotching posted:

Do you have an apprentice? Many if not all of the missions require one.

Yes I've had one every time.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

cock hero flux posted:

I think its a option in the intrigue window. Or maybe I'm thinking about observatory, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There's a "Roman Provinces Restored" mod for CK2 that Google has apparently accepted at face-value.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

They only changed Spain and Croatia though

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

That's the 'before' image. Google got the picture from https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450770070. The 'Provinces Restored' version rejiggers the de jure kingdoms into:

It looks like it's based on how the provinces might've been organized during Hadrian's reign according to a map on Wikipedia, with some irregularities.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

You get the event to create the laboratory when you are promoted to the second rank in the society, I believe. It's not a decision.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wallet posted:

You get the event to create the laboratory when you are promoted to the second rank in the society, I believe. It's not a decision.

Yeah no I've gone all the way through the ranks every time and that's never happened.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Also for interesting starts, I always enjoyed being the Jain kingdom, flipping Hindu then grabbing lower Arabia/Abbyssinia, then swearing fealty to the Abbs to tear them apart from the inside.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Wallet posted:

I usually get it right after joining. I have no idea why it isn't popping up for him.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I usually get the mission to build a laboratory as the first mission, but I've had ruler's get it later. I've never had any problems getting missions at all, though.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
If no missions at all are popping, it's probably a mod issue. Have you tried turning off mods and seeing if any missions pop?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Datasmurf posted:

Yeah, Bohemia got mighty big this time around. Khotan is catholic and is spreading like wildfire after a bunch of us decided to kill Gengis before he could do some serious hurt. India is currently cathar, but has been Catholic, slavic, romuva, and norse. The empire started out as buddhist, though.

The papacy on the other hand, is gulping up more and more of Italy. No idea what's going on there, but I say let them. The HRE got broken up by cathar France and me.

The map has changed a bit since the picture was taken. Iceland ended up in a war with France and some others and after some hundred years took Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Prague, and half of Poland, while also eating some of the Byzantine. Then all of a sudden one of my vassals had a foothold in Wales and was warring it up, so now the Empire of Iceland stretches across half of Britain, too.

After checking it out, even though there are muslims and a caliph who now and then throws jihads against cathar France to get back Mecca, (usually when the pope decides to throw a crusade for France), none of the leaders of the countries are muslim. They're mostly catholic, cathar, slavic, or norse.

France ended up with a revolt, which split it into the two empires. Francia and Hispania. Hispania is now led by a norseman whos religious leader is me. Now to get some ties going, I guess.

All in all, quite a fun and interesting game. I love it when stuff like this happens. When it seems like the AI has gone haywire et cetera.

Finished this game the other day. It ended up quite interesting, and then I took it into EU4 and played it 'till the end this morning. It was very nice when my ruler became immortal, and then met up with another immortal whom I ended up marrying in the end. :D

This is where I left it when I last played:

This is where it's taken me the last days:

Marrying an immortal, woo!:

Editing your own stats to survive the meeting with the immortal in case you have to fight, woo! (not that I really needed to do that, but eh, why not):

Big Black Brony posted:

Anyone had any success porting their alt history save file over to EU? Like is it playable with these freakish huge weird nations?

Quite playable. Very enjoyable all in all.

Datasmurf fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 3, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Can the path continue after that? Like, can you port it to whatever the latest Victoria is and from there to HoI?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Is there any way to cut off Crusades anymore, aside from painting the map until Catholicism is uprooted entirely? I kicked the Pope out of Rome a while ago, but then found out landless Popes can still call them now, and I'm getting real tired of playing a protracted game of whack-a-mole across western Europe every couple of decades until they'll gently caress off with a white peace because the guy in charge managed to convince everyone that, guys, look, trust me this 6th Crusade for Austrasia is totally gonna be the one that turns it all around for us.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Oh whats this? A girl in my court who came in as an orphan, who wants to right the wrongs of the world and make sure no one has to suffer like she has. :unsmith:

oh... :smith:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There really needs to be a tweak to make cancer in kids even more uncommon.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Shiny777 posted:

Is there any way to cut off Crusades anymore, aside from painting the map until Catholicism is uprooted entirely? I kicked the Pope out of Rome a while ago, but then found out landless Popes can still call them now, and I'm getting real tired of playing a protracted game of whack-a-mole across western Europe every couple of decades until they'll gently caress off with a white peace because the guy in charge managed to convince everyone that, guys, look, trust me this 6th Crusade for Austrasia is totally gonna be the one that turns it all around for us.

Not that I know off. In my Iceland game I tried removing catholism all over, and there was still a pope with a claim on some random, norse temple that went on a crusade for Italy. I just sat an army in Rome and one at the temple and watched as the warscore slowly trickled to 100 % while never fighting anyone.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I like defending against Crusades/Jihads/Great Holy Wars because when I get done stomping the piss outta them they pay me fat bux for being losers. I've never really had too much trouble with them since half the time the enemies just show up all staggered out with small stacks. You just gotta crush them as soon as they arrive so they can't join together and become a real threat.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Convert to Catholic, vassalize the pope, convert back.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Various Meat Products posted:

Alternative interim answer, make the Pope a tributary. Only lasts for one ruler's lifetime, but it still gets you a share of the popebux, and works on rulers too small to vassalize the pope themselves, although I'm not sure if anybody that small would ever need to worry about crusades.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

darthbob88 posted:

Alternative interim answer, make the Pope a tributary. Only lasts for one ruler's lifetime, but it still gets you a share of the popebux, and works on rulers too small to vassalize the pope themselves, although I'm not sure if anybody that small would ever need to worry about crusades.

The downside to this is tributary status ends when either ruler dies. Since Popes are usually old when elected a tributary Papacy never lasts very long.

E: Nevermind, double checked the wiki and either I'm completely wrong or this changed at some point.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Various Meat Products posted:

...How didn't I think of that? Okay, so mapping this out in my head, I'm a Norse Republic based in Sweden, and the Fylkir. Get a few dynasty members brought up Catholic, appoint the least lovely one designated heir, hand off my Fylkir title to some other dynasty member, inherit with the Catholic, restore the Pope to Rome by decision, perform standard antipope shenanigans to vassalize him, then convert to capital religion to go Norse again and either appoint the Fylkir my heir or find a way to revoke that title to get everything back in order.

Have I got the chain of actions right there?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Honky Dong Country posted:

The downside to this is tributary status ends when either ruler dies. Since Popes are usually old when elected a tributary Papacy never lasts very long.

E: Nevermind, double checked the wiki and either I'm completely wrong or this changed at some point.
Pretty sure you're wrong; tributary only ends when you die, when they die, their (primary?) heir becomes your new tributary. Testing now.
E: Appears to be confirmed; I console-commanded my way to being suzerain of Karloman as king of West and Middle Francia, then killed Karloman. I was suzerain of the new king of West Francia, then I killed him and became suzerain of the new king, and then when the title finally separated I was suzerain of West but not Middle Francia. Tributary transfer is real, and it does flow only through the primary title. Did not try it on the Pope, though, testing that now.
E2: Just tried the Pope, and the successor Pope does NOT appear to be your tributary. :(

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 4, 2017

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Shiny777 posted:

...How didn't I think of that? Okay, so mapping this out in my head, I'm a Norse Republic based in Sweden, and the Fylkir. Get a few dynasty members brought up Catholic, appoint the least lovely one designated heir, hand off my Fylkir title to some other dynasty member, inherit with the Catholic, restore the Pope to Rome by decision, perform standard antipope shenanigans to vassalize him, then convert to capital religion to go Norse again and either appoint the Fylkir my heir or find a way to revoke that title to get everything back in order.

Have I got the chain of actions right there?

Something like that. You can convert to a spouse or concubine's religion from the right click menu once you've given away the Fylkirate, so you shouldn't need to re-educate anyone. Also, you can't revoke the Fylkir title, so give it to someone that will inherit it back to you when they die. Give away a barony to a celibate guy and then kill him later.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man my Jewish game is getting more and more strange. The HRE formed on its own. Between that and the Germanic pagans reforming I don't know what the gently caress is going on. And the Papacy has taken a bunch of Italy while Venice managed to sieze two counties in Poitou. I mean I've seen the Germanics reform before and I've seen the HRE get formed too, but never both in the same game.

Also the loving Syrians flipped Jewish and were strong as gently caress. Really slowed me down on the road to founding Israel. Then my King died and his successor apparently has really good luck/good contacts in Syria or something because with him I was able to swiftly murder all the Jews in the ruling Jalilid dynasty until a Shia successor took over. At least now I can holy war these pricks again and get the rest of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 4, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

Man my Jewish game is getting more and more strange. The HRE formed on its own. Between that and the Germanic pagans reforming I don't know what the gently caress is going on. And the Papacy has taken a bunch of Italy while Venice managed to sieze two counties in Poitou. I mean I've seen the Germanics reform before and I've seen the HRE get formed too, but never both in the same game.

Also the loving Syrians flipped Jewish and were strong as gently caress. Really slowed me down on the road to founding Israel. Then my King died and his successor apparently has really good luck/good contacts in Syria or something because with him I was able to swiftly murder all the Jews in the ruling Jalilid dynasty until a Shia successor took over. At least now I can holy war these pricks again and get the rest of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

why didn't you use marriage shenaningans to just get claims

This is the thing that I always end up forgetting when playing non-Christians; you can actually use claims too! It's just usually a way bigger hassle. (Especially for muslims, ugh)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

why didn't you use marriage shenaningans to just get claims

This is the thing that I always end up forgetting when playing non-Christians; you can actually use claims too! It's just usually a way bigger hassle. (Especially for muslims, ugh)

Because there were no marriage options and fabricating one county at a time is a drat nightmare. It wasn't a big deal though, as I was busy devouring Egypt in the mean time and a scant 20 years later I was able to murder all the Jewish rulers to flip them Shia.

I've got all of Jerusalem now though. Founded Israel, made a custom Empire of Israel, and restored the high priesthood. The Kohen Gadol then promptly called a great holy war on Middle Francia.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

If no missions at all are popping, it's probably a mod issue. Have you tried turning off mods and seeing if any missions pop?

No, loads of missions pop. I always get the "get an apprentice" mission if I don't have one and otherwise get "hey man you wanna sneak into this guy's lab and steal all his poo poo" missions all the time. And I have no mods on.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Looking at the base file, it's a 20% chance to turn up when it chooses to give you one. But you can't be at Rank 4.

#Randomizes mission
random_list = {

20 = { #Find an apprentice
trigger = {
NOT = { any_courtier_or_vassal = { has_minor_title = title_hermetics_apprentice } }
ai = no
}
event_target:hermetic_collaborator = { character_event = { id = MNM.1404 days = 7 random = 7 } }
}

20 = { #Build a laboratory
trigger = {
NOT = { has_character_flag = building_laboratory }
NOT = { has_character_flag = built_laboratory }
OR = {
ai = no
society_rank == 4
}
is_landed = yes
}
event_target:hermetic_collaborator = { character_event = { id = MNM.1120 days = 7 random = 7 } }
}
15 = { #Find a rare scroll/book/tablet
trigger = {
is_landed = yes
}
event_target:hermetic_collaborator = { character_event = { id = MNM.1417 days = 7 random = 7 } }
}
20 = { #Acquire/gather ingredients
trigger = {
is_landed = yes
NOT = {
any_artifact = {
has_artifact_flag = ingredient
}
}
event_target:hermetic_collaborator = { ai = yes }
}
event_target:hermetic_collaborator = { character_event = { id = MNM.1801 days = 7 random = 7 } }
}
10 = { #Infiltrate lab
trigger = {
society = {
any_society_member = {
is_within_diplo_range = ROOT
NOR = {
character = ROOT
character = event_target:hermetic_collaborator
reverse_opinion = { who = event_target:hermetic_collaborator value = 20 }
reverse_opinion = { who = ROOT value = 20 }
has_character_flag = infiltration_rival
has_character_flag = infiltration_mutual_dislike
has_character_flag = infiltration_rich
}
}
}
}
event_target:hermetic_collaborator = { character_event = { id = MNM.1430 days = 7 random = 7 } }
}
10 = { #Observe stars
event_target:hermetic_collaborator = { character_event = { id = MNM.1828 days = 7 random = 7 } }
}

105 = { # AI bypasses missions at times
modifier = {
factor = 0
ai = no
}
random_list = {
70 = {
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
society_influence >= 30
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
society_influence >= 40
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.8
society_influence >= 50
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.7
society_influence >= 70
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.6
society_influence >= 80
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.5
society_influence >= 90
}
add_mission_succeed_influence_effect = yes
}
30 = {
add_mission_fail_influence_effect = yes
}
}
}

175 = {
modifier = {
factor = 0
ai = no
}
#Do nothing for AI
}
}
}
}

So all I can say is it's sheer foul luck.

Batmans dad
Jun 27, 2008
As a viking overlord in Britain or anywhere else, is there a way to prevent getting eventually stomped by an enormous religious/national revolt? Settling your tribe and hoping for the best, or something?

I managed to conquer Scotland starting in the Isle of Mann, but didn't have quite enough cash to create the Kingdom of Scotland title. Then, my ruler got murdered by one of his concubines and my territory got split up between a Brilliant Strategist and his dickless lunatic brother. I ended up playing as the latter. He managed to sire a son before losing his balls somehow. Sadly, that kid is also a lunatic. The consequent national revolt was only the cherry on top.

I hate/love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Looking at the base file, it's a 20% chance to turn up when it chooses to give you one. But you can't be at Rank 4.

That's actually not correct.

code:
trigger = {
	NOT = { has_character_flag = building_laboratory }
	NOT = { has_character_flag = built_laboratory }
	OR = {
		ai = no
		society_rank == 4
	}
	is_landed = yes
}
You'll see it is checking for either ai=no (aka, player) or society_rank of 4. So the player can always get it, and the AI will get it once they hit rank 4

• Locked thread