Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

quote:

It's unclear whether WY2M has the funding or approvals from F1 or others series to bring the concept to life.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lando Norris is a cool name.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

quote:

In addition to F1, WY2M also listed "GP Moto racing" among the desired forms of competition to be showcased at the San Juan Bautista circuit, along with concerts and other festivals.

Definitely not some punter trying to hustle cash together. Lmbo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The real elephant in the room here with another US date:

The number of FIA grade 1 tracks is very, very low in the US, mostly because our pit complexes are... just a wall with equipment behind it, not a garage with air hoses on gantries. As it stands, I think only COTA and Indy are capable. I think Miami holds a FIA grade but no one wants to do a roval after Indy. Thus two options are this: upgrade or build anew.

To go to a different track, like Road America or Watkins Glen would require massive upgrades to the pit complex. Then there's the whole "We need to make more braking zones for overtaking! :byodood:" mentality which would likely ruin the track as is. Also the whole runoff zones at a lot of those tracks would be considered inadequate. A group tried to get Long Beach again for F1, but is likely going to lose that battle.

So that leaves building a new track. Right now with the rise of NIMBYs and the rapid sinking of public funding for sports without a referendum vote, it's likely not going to happen. Any potential street circuit will run into NIMBYs, and ever since Boston fell through for Indy, good luck with convincing people it's not a scam.

I don't blame FOM and FIA for wanting a second US date, though.

e: one of the interesting things from Gutierrez after doing Indy for a couple races (paraphrasing here): "Each course is different in that each corner has a different feel. There's no standardized curbing like in F1"

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 2, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's funny how we all have to drop our lame team/driver preferences and get behind Kubica.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

It's funny how we all have to drop our lame team/driver preferences and get behind Kubica.

Are you saying you're not?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

Bobby K owns tho.

And I will never drop my love for Nando and he is not lame :colbert:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Are you saying you're not?

Obviously I am. It's just funny to think that we pretended to care about all these loser drivers just because Kubica was dead.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
We had to assuage the pain somehow

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

How quick was Kubica on his first run in a 2017 F1 car?
Kubica's fastest lap was 1.4 seconds off Sebastian Vettel's benchmark and just a tenth off Jolyon Palmer's Hungarian GP qualifying time, although set on the ultrasoft tyre which was not available over the Grand Prix weekend.

On the supersoft tyre, which Palmer used to set his quickest time in qualifying, Kubica's best lap time was around half a second slower - although his fuel level is unknown.

In total, the 32-year-old improved by nearly six seconds over the course of the day, having posted a 1:24.299 on his opening timed lap.

His best lap was also almost two seconds quicker than the time Renault development driver Nicholas Latifi had managed on the opening day of the test at the Hungaroring.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/10970001/robert-kubica-unsure-of-next-step-after-posting-fourth-fastest-time-on-f1-return

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/892717587695636482

#AllWithKube

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont care about Kubica. I will care about Kubica if he somehow drives for Scuderia Ferrari. Thanks for reading.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

Bobby K owns tho.

And I will never drop my love for Nando and he is not lame :colbert:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

I dont care about Kubica. I will care about Kubica if he somehow drives for Scuderia Ferrari. Thanks for reading.

Yeah, well, I don't care much for your posts?! I'll start reading them if you somehow post using a Ferrari, thanks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I love the Kube and I love Nando. These are my two undying passions in life.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

1500quidporsche posted:

I love the Kube and I love Nando. These are my two undying passions in life.

I'm pretty sure if Our Nando joined ISIS, I'd still love him.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, well, I don't care much for your posts?! I'll start reading them if you somehow post using a Ferrari, thanks.

This is me

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Some of my favorite memories from college were me and a classmate of Polish descent gushing about Się Kube.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I don't give a poo poo about Bobby K.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

gret posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Bobby K.

Suck my balls honey.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wow, half a second slower than Palmer on better tyres, sounds like this Kubica guy has nothing on Our Jolyon. Could make an ok number 2 driver for him I guess

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sweet I love Caddyshack.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
All I get from that is it takes someone hideous to make something beautiful.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I have been drinking again.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

$8 Spanish wine?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I sprung for a bottle of Jamesons. I intend to feel rougher than bin tyres tomorrow morning!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Awww yisss lets get bent axled

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theophany posted:

Replace OP with this

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

This but it's Nico laughing instead of Enzo.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

I thought he was talented, but over rated back then and don't have enough data to say how good he would be now. Better than Palmer, for sure, but that's hardly an achievement.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

poty posted:

Wow, half a second slower than Palmer on better tyres, sounds like this Kubica guy has nothing on Our Jolyon. Could make an ok number 2 driver for him I guess
Yeah that doesn't sound too loving good actually. And yet the Poles are still expecting to come over there and steal a native Brit's job. Multiculturalism gone mad.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

poty posted:

Dude hasn't been in a F1 car in 6 years.

Palmer is on the chopping block.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Norns posted:

Dude hasn't been in a F1 car in 6 years.

Not surprising given his bad performance in my very humble opinion

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My really lovely regular amazon delivery driver is polish, he heard the F1 on in the background once and now greets me with "Robert Kubica! :thumbsup:" I want him back in F1 for that guy.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

poty posted:

Not surprising given his bad performance in my very humble opinion

To be fair your opinions are horrible

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Palmer will never score points, Bobby K was 7th in testing and didn't crash once, it's got to be worth a punt poty.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

This but it's Nico laughing instead of Enzo.

I call it 'The Rosborgias'

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Theophany posted:

Thanks for the new desktop background.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wiltsghost posted:

Thanks for the new desktop background.

Also works as J/O material if you take this poo poo way too seriously. I am, er, told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theophany posted:

• Locked thread