Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WampaLord posted:

The dude passes his time traveling by playing loving multiple choice trivia with the computer and listening to the worst music imaginable. Imagine all the other possible things you could be doing even with just a shuttle craft's computer. He is precisely a small minded bore, and a creepy one as well.

And he has the gall to look down on Barclay. At least Barclay sought out counseling for his issues and learned to get better, Geordi.

Ehhhhh, just because it's advanced Federation technology doesn't mean they're going to load cool video games into the shuttlecraft computer. (And also it would cost money to show that kind of thing.)

That said, we probably should look down on him for not joyously spending his time on the shuttlecraft consuming technical manuals the way that Scotty did.

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo guys. Geordi said it's unusual to recreate people you know. He isn't a hypocrite because he didn't know Leah Brahms when he created the sex doll of her. Also, Barclay's holoprogram 9 is him at a chipotle. He eats a bunch of chipotle and gets diarrhea, then he heads into the bathroom. He opens the stall door and then it turns out that Riker is the toilet and he shits into Riker's mouth. This is standard holodeck stuff.

i fuckin' love that Blue Stripe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

To be fair, Geordi didn't know Leah Brahms at that point, did he?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

To be fair, Geordi didn't know Leah Brahms at that point, did he?

No he was just trying to diagnose a problem and the computer basically suggested making a hologram of her.

Of course the computer is a super genius who has full knowledge of Geordi's psych profile, so...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Bloop posted:

No he was just trying to diagnose a problem and the computer basically suggested making a hologram of her.

Of course the computer is a super genius who has full knowledge of Geordi's psych profile, so...

This takes "drat you, autocorrect" to a whole new level

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

The initial puppet was basically just giving the same verbal responses Geordi was getting previously from the technical journals.

It was Geordi's idea to specifically ask the computer to spark up the puppet with a personality and make it more fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I mean, to be fair, writing weird sex stuff into Star Trek fanfiction* literally predates the Internet.

*we all know the books are just licensed fanfiction

Granted but you usually didn't get paid (as much) for that. Let me tell you that a 12-13 year old - my parents totally did not know anything about these books other than "Star Trek" - reading about the son of a literal god having implicit as-explicit-as-you-can-get-without-actually-being-explicit sex with a human-equivalent true intersex species was, despite that 12-13 year already being pretty socially liberal, still kinda weird. I remember that character, having been asked about what it was like by another character on the bridge (because everyone in Star Trek in also 13 years old when it comes to sex) explaining it as something like "it's even better when your partner already knows how to use what you've got."

But then there's another scene where Calhoun and Shelby are "relaxing" in their quarters and half the cast decides that this is the best time to come in and talk about all their personal/Starfleet problems and despite being the typical "Is this really the best time?" kind of scene it's pretty funny so yeah, probably both.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Say what you want though, at least New Frontier had a relationship between a cis male human and a masculine-identifying alien from a genderless race. So at least it did what Jonathan Frakes wanted to do in "The Outcast" and what Rick Berman was too much of a coward/homophobe to do. And in the mid/late 90s at that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hit my first bad DS9 episode -- the one where Sisko, Dax, Kira and Bashir get warped into a multi-tier board game. Jesus gently caress I wanted that to end fast.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Ehhhhh, just because it's advanced Federation technology doesn't mean they're going to load cool video games into the shuttlecraft computer. (And also it would cost money to show that kind of thing.)

Literally the only video game in existence in the 24th Century is Cones and Discs 3D, because something something as a society we evolved to take greater pleasure from learning and bettering ourselves via trivia games instead

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vintersorg posted:

Hit my first bad DS9 episode -- the one where Sisko, Dax, Kira and Bashir get warped into a multi-tier board game. Jesus gently caress I wanted that to end fast.

You're dumb and it was a good episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The initial puppet was basically just giving the same verbal responses Geordi was getting previously from the technical journals.

It was Geordi's idea to specifically ask the computer to spark up the puppet with a personality and make it more fun.

Yeah, that's true.

I assume if you just casually ask the computer to break the law or whatever it will refuse. I guess officers can just load the psych profiles of anyone they want whenever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The real hosed up thing is that he marries her in the future.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cojawfee posted:

Nope.

It starts off good with the First Contact and all, the Sisko/Jake relationship fleshing out a bit more and then suddenly it turns into a bad episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, don't forget that Geordi tried to get Aquiel stationed on the Enterprise so he could keep boning her after her traumatic ordeal with the coalescent organism.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cojawfee posted:

Well come on now, it's not a good episode.

But it is a good bad episode.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Vintersorg posted:

ALAMARAIN

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Isn't there a line that implies his former captain puffed up his credentials / talents so he could offload Barclay onto someone else?

Yes, Riker immediately suspects exactly that.

quote:

PICARD: There's every indication he's served competently in Starfleet for years. His ratings aboard the Zhukov were satisfactory. In fact I recall Captain Gleason speaking quite highly of him before his transfer.

RIKER: In retrospect, I wonder if Captain Gleason wasn't buttering our bread a little. He knew we were looking for a diagnostic engineer. I've examined Barclay's psychological profile. He's a history of seclusive tendencies. It was noted at the Academy more than once.

PICARD: And yet he chose this way of life. He has made the same commitment to Starfleet that we all have. It's easy to transfer a problem to someone else. Too easy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drone posted:

Say what you want though, at least New Frontier had a relationship between a cis male human and a masculine-identifying alien from a genderless race. So at least it did what Jonathan Frakes wanted to do in "The Outcast" and what Rick Berman was too much of a coward/homophobe to do. And in the mid/late 90s at that.

Yeah and that's basically how I look at it now. In fact I want to say that the character didn't even identify as strictly masculine as I recall conversations revolving around what the proper pronouns are for a species that is always both sexes but maybe that changed later in the series. I don't know enough if they were the contemporary terms being discussed at the time, I remember pronouns like "hir" being used, but there is another bit I remember where the intersex character talked with someone about how there was some kind of language council on their home planet that met to discuss and update the proper language to use, though not just for gender identification. This was then followed up by a joke where the minor character thought that was strange, being told that the French on Earth did the same thing, then that being written off as "Oh, well, they're French." So again, not sure if he was bringing up a serious topic or making a joke at its expense.

I guess if nothing else the series made an impression on me given what I can recall once I start thinking about it :v:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

ALAMARAIN

I think there is a pretty good bit of early Quark characterization in that episode.

I like it. I don't care who knows it. (but don't tell anybody)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I think there is a pretty good bit of early Quark characterization in that episode.

I like it. I don't care who knows it. (but don't tell anybody)

I just informed your immediate family.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Cojawfee posted:

I just informed your immediate family.

"Oh Bloop :qq: The Nagus was more centered around Quark's character. Abloo bloo bloo."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well, we already know that you can bring up any play/musical with 2 button presses, so if nothing else, Geordi could have been listening to Klingon opera or something.

Also, I'd like to imagine you could put the shuttle on autopilot and then have the computer use the view screens as monitors and play various games or even do a flight simulator thing and run practice combat missions. poo poo would be fun as hell, but Geordi goes all basic bitch and says "Just multiple choice trivia, please!"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Drone posted:

ALAMARAIN

COUNT TO FOUR

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ALAMARAIN AND THEN THREE MORE
ALAMARAIN IF YOU CAN SEE
ALAMARAIN BETTER THAN TNG

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Most Toys. The back of Data's uniform is extremely wrinkly and there were so many fake words in the captain's log that I don't fully understand what's happening.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Those motherfuckers

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WHAT

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Intro thought: I think the cold opens are getting more intense, or maybe I just care more.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The Most Toys is one of my favorite non-top 5 episodes of TNG, it's so good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MillennialVulcan posted:

An interesting way to think about it, but.... agreed!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This shot made me realize that the conference display is kind of ridiculous.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MillennialVulcan posted:

It's totally amazing. Can't wait to see the rest of Jeb!s post

It might be the second best Data episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh Data's alive. And looking at his hand. In a postmodern set.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Did those pieces of poo poo "steal" Data?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

It's totally amazing. Can't wait to see the rest of Jeb!s post

It might be the second best Data episode.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whew this guy is the most hate-able anyone's been since the omnipotent child abductors in season 1

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Most Toys is awesome, one of the only Data-centric episodes I really like. Looking forward to your reaction to that ending

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So can't Data just threaten to break all the poo poo in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Data would attempt other more peaceful solutions before destroying unique artifacts.