Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

call to action posted:

You keep pointing this out while ignoring the fact that Sanders polls better than Clinton today. Among Democrats and not among Democrats.

Ah sorry, I forgot I had pointed it out before.

I'm not saying Sanders doesn't poll better than Clinton (among minorities or in general). It's just that I've seen that particular statistic used many times show that Sanders' support is higher among minorities than white people in the context where only people who might vote Democratic matter. Like, when that poll is shown it's often because people are trying to say "look at how much higher Sanders is with black voters than white voters", but (as mentioned in my earlier post) that would be the case for any Democrat. Of course, this isn't mutually exclusive with Sanders also being the most liked Democratic politician.

Where is the poll that talks about Sanders' support compared with other Democratic politicians? I feel like I've seen it before but Google isn't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

and centrists wonder why nobody likes them

you can't even talk about not needlessly brutalizing the poor without them claiming you want to completely dismantle rule of law

then again, maybe that says a lot about our society that we can't show an ounce of compassion to the poor, but we let rich shitheads off the hook for destroying the livelihoods of millions intentionally cause they are so refined

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Great Embarrassment,

Ooh, link?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

we've got the largest prison population in the world, but centrists can't wait to cram more people into our jails

we've got eternal overcrowding problems in californian prisons, but centrists want to shove more nonviolent offenders in for 1 year stints (they need more free prison labor)

centrists apparently relish the police state we're living in now, but we're obligated to vote for centrist candidates? hell loving no imo!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Condiv posted:

we've got the largest prison population in the world, but centrists can't wait to cram more people into our jails

we've got eternal overcrowding problems in californian prisons, but centrists want to shove more nonviolent offenders in for 1 year stints (to help their kids!!! :psyduck:)

centrists apparently relish the police state we're living in now, but we're obligated to vote for centrist candidates? hell loving no imo!

Yes, but the US Justice/prison system is famously focused on rehabilitation and lololol. j/k

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Let's be honest, the US has a habit of combating with any social ill (drug use, homelessness, mental health) and I guess truancy as well with police and eventually prison time. Everyone knows it doesn't work, and if anything it shows how if anything our society times to use fear to cover up the massive social issues.

Even if the parent wasn't "cooperative" there is a wide gap between taking some type of more active action and throwing him/her in jail...unless you want to make an example for the general population.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 2, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

overcrowding in californian prisons are so bad that judges have declared they're unconstitutionally cruel and ordered the release of non-violent offenders. kamala harris resisted these orders cause ????

meanwhile, centrists cheer even more people jammed into these prisons

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
If only the Democrats would propose decriminalizing child abuse, they'd finally have some electoral victories -- a moron.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

and centrists wonder why nobody likes them

you can't even talk about not needlessly brutalizing the poor without them claiming you want to completely dismantle rule of law

then again, maybe that says a lot about our society that we can't show an ounce of compassion to the poor, but we let rich shitheads off the hook for destroying the livelihoods of millions intentionally cause they are so refined

You're the one saying that anybody who considers a career as a prosecutor is a psychopath. I don't know what the gently caress exactly you want. There is no prison system that I suspect would actually work in this country that would make you happy.

Prisons in the US are not perfect.

A lot of minorities go to prison unfairly yes. There is a system that puts them into prisons even when there innocent. But that does not make up the majority of minorities in prison.

The bigger system is the one that puts them in situations that end up having them commit the crimes that end up sending them to prison. The bigger system is the one that is a pipeline from the day of release - back to prison.

We can decrease the amount of prisoners in Prison but we need to focus on rehabilitation. And that comes before any idea of not prosecuting people who commit serious crimes and sending them to prison. States, Cities, Counties, and Countries have to have prosecutors. That's part of civilization.

And for those falsly qualifying saying "Centrists want to send more people to jail." I have yet to hear one say that publicly or use it as a major campaign position.

JailTrump fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 2, 2017

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Ardennes posted:

Let's be honest, the US has a habit of combating with any social ill (drug use, homelessness, mental health) and I guess truancy as well with police and prison time. It doesn't work, and if anything it shows how if anything our society times to use fear to cover up the massive social issues.

Even if the parent wasn't "cooperative" there is a wide gap between taking some type of more active action and throwing him/her in jail...unless you want to make an example for the general population.

Gotta keep those Negroes and Mexicans in line

- centrists

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

Willful neglect of a child's educational needs is child abuse you loving moron.

It's not always willful, that's the part you're not getting. There's nothing in the law that lets someone off the hook for having good intentions or trying real hard. It's entirely up to the discretion of school officials and the prosecutor's office to decide if a situation warrants charges and there are countless examples of them having poor judgement in these matters.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

If only the Democrats would propose decriminalizing child abuse, they'd finally have some electoral victories -- a moron.

truancy isn't child abuse. the parent may not be able to force their kid to go to school due to having to work, or any of a number of other reasons. conflating truancy and child abuse makes you a piece of poo poo

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Like, I'm sure the number of people who just have feral kids roaming around their home is greater than 0, but I doubt most of the people affected by the fines and jail time fall under that category.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This loving Kamala Harris Derail is the stupidest loving thing.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

imagine looking at the criminal justice system in america and thinking to yourself "i want to put people in jail as my career"

just terrible

First they jail the vulnerable for their own self-aggrandizement, next thing you know they're forcing Tuvix onto the transporter pad at phaser-point.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

I don't know what the gently caress exactly you want.

yeah you do. don't jail parents for truant kids. that's what i want. it's really loving obvious if you're not a moron

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
This conversation yet again (as if poo poo like the iraq war vote wasn't enough) makes it clear that centrists are pretty obviously psychopaths. The scary part is that the mainstream media will never let anyone point this out like is happening in this thread and Harris will be the nominee.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

yeah you do. don't jail parents for truant kids. that's what i want. it's really loving obvious if you're not a moron

I don't know of any cases where that has happened.

And I agree with that. Jailing parents for truant kids is wrong.

Politics can not solve the education crisis in America. Nor can police.

We need a shift in culture to do that. We need to promote the love of Christ in peoples lives and the unity of family.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If Bernie is too old to run in 2020 does that mean if he won the primary and general election in 2016 he would not have been a viable 2-term president?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

JailTrump posted:

This loving Kamala Harris Derail is the stupidest loving thing.

Gosh you guys stop talking about the biggest prison population in the entire world. Those are just minor issues!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This conversation yet again (as if poo poo like the iraq war vote wasn't enough) makes it clear that centrists are pretty obviously psychopaths. The scary part is that the mainstream media will never let anyone point this out like is happening in this thread and Harris will be the nominee.

Nah, they'll abandon her pretty quick once they realize the left isn't taking their bait and pivot over to somebody like Dick Suckerberg. That's what you kids like, right? The facebook man???

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Considering that this thread is called "The democrats are a waste," a discussion of Harris and her beliefs seems pretty on topic to me.

Most worrisome part of 2020, is that there so many terrible options and almost certainly one of them will get the nomination.

Gillibrand, Booker, Harris, Hillary (Part 3) and the Zuck are basically there basically isn't a choice.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 2, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

Call Me Charlie posted:

The fine is up to $2000. The jail time can be up to 1 year in prison.

For what I can find from some googling, most people who get prosecuted get probation (which isn't free) and the biggest case ended up with a single mother of a 2nd and 3rd grader getting 180 days in jail after pleading guilty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7eg8AhRSgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDYdYFcenc

(oh hey, have one not from california while we're watching videos)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RBH0efdyxo

JailTrump posted:

We need a shift in culture to do that. We need to promote the love of Christ in peoples lives and the unity of family.

lmao what in the gently caress is this poo poo?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

i quoted one up earlier in the thread. also, kamala harris is actually wanting to send parents to jail for a year if they can't afford a $2k fine. educate yourself

quote:

And I agree with that. Jailing parents for truant kids is wrong.

Politics can not solve the education crisis in America. Nor can police.

it's hard to do those kind of things without reducing the strain on low income families. and you can't do that by fining or jailing them for truancy. it doesn't work.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
You know, she could have pushed for community service on the weekends or something instead of jail time. It would be inconvenient enough to give school officials negotiating power while not forcing people into the justice system and ruining their records forever.

Just saying, there are solutions to truancy that aren't "force more people into jail". So conflating being against jail time with being pro child abuse is more than a little disingenuous.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the craziest thing about this truancy argument is that i've already linked an expert saying there are way better methods for dealing with truancy and punishment has no actual proven effect on truancy. centrists have ignored this evidence based approach to policy to continue to endorse brutalizing the poor. cause they're loving monsters

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

JailTrump posted:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Scent of Worf posted:

Gosh you guys stop talking about the biggest prison population in the entire world. Those are just minor issues!

That's right! Look at the big picture, how are we going to retrain green jobs to employers in the marketplace of global competitiveness while synergizing productivity and connectivity as we built this bridge throughout the 21st century? Democrats know!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Also lol at that "hyperbole" about kids getting sent to jail. I'm sure the prison system will find a way to profit!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

truancy isn't child abuse. the parent may not be able to force their kid to go to school due to having to work, or any of a number of other reasons. conflating truancy and child abuse makes you a piece of poo poo

readingatwork posted:

It's not always willful, that's the part you're not getting. There's nothing in the law that lets someone off the hook for having good intentions or trying real hard. It's entirely up to the discretion of school officials and the prosecutor's office to decide if a situation warrants charges and there are countless examples of them having poor judgement in these matters.

Wrong.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ai/tr/

quote:

Penal Code Section 270.1. (a) A parent or guardian of a pupil of six years of age or more who is in kindergarten or any of grades one to eight, inclusive, and who is subject to compulsory full-time education or compulsory continuation education, whose child is a chronic truant as defined in Section 48263.6 of the EC, who has failed to reasonably supervise and encourage the pupil's school attendance, and who has been offered language accessible support services to address the pupil's truancy, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars ($2,000), or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment. A parent or guardian guilty of a misdemeanor under this subdivision may participate in the deferred entry of judgment program defined in subdivision (b).
(b) A superior court may establish a deferred entry of judgment program that includes the components listed in paragraphs (1) to (7), inclusive, to adjudicate cases involving parents or guardians of elementary school pupils who are chronic truants as defined in Section 48263.6 of the EC:
(1) A dedicated court calendar.
(2) Leadership by a judge of the superior court in that county.
(3) Meetings, scheduled and held periodically, with school district representatives designated by the chronic truant's school district of enrollment. Those representatives may include school psychologists, school counselors, teachers, school administrators, or other educational service providers deemed appropriate by the school district.
(4) Service referrals for parents or guardians, as appropriate to each case that may include, but are not limited to, all of the following:
(A) Case management.
(B) Mental and physical health services.
(C) Parenting classes and support.
(D) Substance abuse treatment.
(E) Child care and housing.

1) Student needs to be chronically truant. That means missing more than 10% of school, non-excused, so illness/family event doesn't count.
2) Parent is only prosecutable if they've failed to "reasonably supervise and encourage school attendance"
3) Parent is only prosecutable if they've previously received "language accessible support services to address the pupil's truancy".
4) If found guilty, the court has a substantial number of non-fine, non-incarceration options as remedies.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 2, 2017

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So... I can only assume that JC and JailTrump are putting on a performance? I guess? You guys don't need to play sociopath Republican mouthpiece on a board with no Republicans to make fun of by way of performance art. You can post real posts.

It's getting a little too weird for me though, I'll try not to read this thread until 2018 when the Democrats are finally destroyed once and for all, I guess.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nah, they'll abandon her pretty quick once they realize the left isn't taking their bait and pivot over to somebody like Dick Suckerberg. That's what you kids like, right? The facebook man???

The fact that the centrist wing is still fielding candidates for 2020 instead of just running with Warren is curious. Maybe Warren isn't the centrist shill people worry she is?

JailTrump posted:

OK you have me curious. How do we do this exactly and how will it lead to less truancy?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Condiv posted:

the craziest thing about this truancy argument is that i've already linked an expert saying there are way better methods for dealing with truancy and punishment has no actual proven effect on truancy. centrists have ignored this evidence based approach to policy to continue to endorse brutalizing the poor. cause they're loving monsters

More specifically, they embraced the methodology of the right, the only way to control society is a heavy hand. If anything is resembles creeping authoritarianism, just without an open ideology.

readingatwork posted:

The fact that the centrist wing is still fielding candidates for 2020 instead of just running with Warren is curious. Maybe Warren isn't the centrist shill people worry she is?

I would say Booker/Giliband/Harris are still to the right of Warren. Warren's issue is she is in sort of a no-man's land between the centrist wing and the now more hardened left-wing. The centrist wing stoutly refuses to ever compromise, and the left-wing has become sick of it.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 2, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Just Wolrd Fallacy posted:

Wrong.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ai/tr/

1) Student needs to be chronically truant. That means missing more than 10% of school.
2) Parent is only prosecutable if they've failed to "reasonably supervise and encourage school attendance"
3) Parent is only prosecutable if they've previously received "langauge accessible support services to address the pupil's truancy".
4) If found guilty, the court has a substantial number of non-fine, non-incarceration options as remedies.

:lol:

quote:

When you’re talking about older kids, sometimes those kids are really not under the parents control any more. I’ve had plenty of parents tell me, “I don’t know what to do. I drop my child off at school and watch him walk through the front door and then the school does nothing to keep him there, and he walks right out the back door, and then the school calls me and yells at me.”

"fining and jailing parents like this is the obvious solution" - jc

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

quote:

The case is far more likely that there is some real problem in the family that is preventing the parent from getting the child to school. It can be a mental health problem on the part of the parent, or an economic problem. It can be all kinds of things, there are plenty of real barriers. But levying a fine does nothing to remove any of the barriers you can possibly think of that might be preventing a family from getting a kid to school.

[Fines aren’t] designed to do that. They’re not designed to make it easier for a parent to get a kids to school. They’re just designed to make parents fret more. That doesn’t really help.

"but jail time will definitely help the problem!" - JC

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

I bet Kamala Harris threatened to put parents guilty of child neglect in prison too, that racist!

No, what she did was almost certainly quite racist. I'm sure she probably didn't have racist intentions, but policies that have a disproportionate negative impact on minorities are generally intrinsically racist, and families with truant students are disproportionately of color.

The fact that Harris is herself a person of color does not somehow inoculate her from the results of her actions. PoC leaders in the 90's were also largely complicit in Clinton's harmful reforms in the 90's, for example, but that doesn't make their result any less racist.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

:lol:

"fining and jailing parents like this is the obvious solution" - jc

That's a pretty sad retort considering you've been proven decisively wrong. Also, the law only applies to kids in elementary and middle school. "Older kids, not really under their parent's control any more" don't qualify. And again, the court has a number of non-fine, non-incarceration remedies, and parents can only be found guilty after they've received support services designed to help them make their kids go to school.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
"The courts will treat poor and/or minority people who can't even afford lawyers very fairly when it comes to a legal matter."
-An American Psychopath

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Kamala Harris is just another example in a long line of insufferable "pragmatist" figures who can't be arsed to assemble their thinking into a cogent or compelling ideology. Every issue can be solved by incorporating your opposition's ideas, finely calibrating and focus-grouping your policy, turning knobs, and getting the right white papers commissioned. You end up with a generation of lovely knob-turning Dems with platforms that are either reprehensible (Harris & Clinton "Smart on Crime" poo poo) or incomprehensible (Deval Patrick and Dem Establishment healthcare policy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

It's pretty clear at this point that centrist dems only morals are decorum and power. If the designated kingmakers of the party anointed a candidate that advocated for :airquote:voluntary:airquote: sterilization of the poor and the incarcerated these heartless, alien, psycopaths would be falling over themselves to defend them. I have no doubt in my mind they'd be penning argument about Eugenics is about adults making tough and smart decisions and the people that don't believe in race science are the real racists.

• Locked thread