Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lol Cleve is playing Grimoire on Steam right now he just isn't unlocking it because he's a dick. I love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

he probably only uploaded notepad.exe to the steam depot and renamed it to grimoire.exe

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
What's grimoire and what's the past drama then

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Grimoire is the only game you will need when the Apocalypse comes and you spend the rest of your life in the bunker.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blackfyre posted:

Cleveland Blakemore was involved in the making of Wizardry 7, split with Sirtech when they made Wizardry 8, has been making Grimoire for the past billion years which will be a 'true sequel' to Wizardry 7, has been talking about how it will be the best game ever and anyone who doesn't like it is dumb and bad, is also an awful human being.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

You can ride on turtles.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Chairchucker posted:

Cleveland Blakemore was involved in the making of Wizardry 7, split with Sirtech when they made Wizardry 8, has been making Grimoire for the past billion years which will be a 'true sequel' to Wizardry 7, has been talking about how it will be the best game ever and anyone who doesn't like it is dumb and bad, is also an awful human being.

Ok so interesting... how much of it will be badly dated for a 'new' title though? What's he done to make him awful? If the games decent enough it means I'll get it but I can't if he's burnt kittens or something etc

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I could just be very naïve, but I don't understand what Cleve's "scam" is here... getting a Steam page for the game and then constantly not releasing it with a series of excuses that sound more and more contrived. Obviously the man has a massive ego and, putting aside the very real possibility that he is mentally ill, I don't see what he gains by constantly yanking away the carrott of a game that may or may not exist. All I can think of is that either he is a raving perfectionist with serious OCD (to which I can relate) who can't stand the idea of people playing his magnum opus until it's perfect in his eyes, which it may never be, or he's pulling some kind of con. The problem with the latter scenario is that conmen have their eyes on the money, and he's not making any dosh on a game that he won't sell. I could very well be missing something, but all I can see right now is someone loving with a small number of people for the simple reasons of wanting to gently caress with people, yet no profit motive.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The game definitely exists, people have played the alpha or whatever version.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I could just be very naïve, but I don't understand what Cleve's "scam" is here... getting a Steam page for the game and then constantly not releasing it with a series of excuses that sound more and more contrived. Obviously the man has a massive ego and, putting aside the very real possibility that he is mentally ill, I don't see what he gains by constantly yanking away the carrott of a game that may or may not exist. All I can think of is that either he is a raving perfectionist with serious OCD (to which I can relate) who can't stand the idea of people playing his magnum opus until it's perfect in his eyes, which it may never be, or he's pulling some kind of con. The problem with the latter scenario is that conmen have their eyes on the money, and he's not making any dosh on a game that he won't sell. I could very well be missing something, but all I can see right now is someone loving with a small number of people for the simple reasons of wanting to gently caress with people, yet no profit motive.
he's a really special person ok

he's run a couple of Indiegogo campaigns for it in the last few years but that's a couple of isolated incidents in one very long and strange 20+ year story. At one point he didn't want to release the game because homo sapiens is too stupid to deserve it (note: he believes himself to be a Neanderthal who unlocked his full cognitive potential by accidentally drinking bleach as a child) but people on RPGCodex upvoted his posts and changed his mind.

Also yeah there's a huge "superdemo" been floating about for years, it's definitely a real and legitimately good game. Which just makes the whole thing even funnier

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

JustJeff88 posted:

he's mentally ill

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm an American, so for a moment I thought he'd delayed it again until January.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Surprised he didn't set the release date to 8-8, would be very appropriate for him.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Blackfyre posted:

Theres a long standing Melonhead conspiracy to supress a wonderful piece of modern Neanderthal art

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah please do not overlook his praise for... Was it Goebbels or Goering who he said was a genius like him? Oddly I do not care to re-find his insane screeds about Neanderthals and autistic superpowers and ugh just remembering it is making me sad.

The game does look fun though. Cannot argue with that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah please do not overlook his praise for... Was it Goebbels or Goering who he said was a genius like him? Oddly I do not care to re-find his insane screeds about Neanderthals and autistic superpowers and ugh just remembering it is making me sad.

The game does look fun though. Cannot argue with that.

Hess was a fellow Neanderthal and tried to stop the war but was betrayed by homo sapiens on both sides

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

drat you Cleve!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Pretty sure Cleve had nothing to do with Wiz 7. He was hired to do a little work for a Wizardry game developed exclusively in Australia with little input from Sirtech that was canned barely in production.

You might be confusing him with DW Bradley who designed Wiz 6 and Wiz 7 but didn't make it to 8. He was also a nutty dude but no where near as psycho as Cleve (or at least he hasn't been spamming the internet with his crazy racist nonsense for 20 years) and managed to release two crappy games since the 90s.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 2, 2017

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

cleve was a coder in a cancelled wiz game. the whole story of that is pretty amusing.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

cool new Metroid game posted:

cleve was a coder in a cancelled wiz game. the whole story of that is pretty amusing.

AFAIK it was an unrelated game. It would have had the Wizardry name on it if the finished game was good enough.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There were penis monsters everywhere. No one believed Cleve about that because why would you but then some concept art was found and errr yeah

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I played a little of the Grimoire SUPER SEKRIT DEMO a million years ago when that was released, and it's hilariously bad.

Like, the turning animation was obviously created by someone who has never actually physically rotated in his life. Instead of any kind of actual rotation animation, the view of 90 degrees to the side just kind of scrolls into view. So if you're looking at a fountain in front of you, then the fountain slides off the screen to the right at the same time that the side view of the same fountain slides in from the left.

Reportedly, this has not been changed, and in the post I read where Cleve talks about it he didn't seem to understand what the problem even is.

Oh, remembered another nice touch. There's no keyboard buffer sanitizing. So if your cat steps on the left arrow for a few seconds, then it'll just read the normal old windows input 'a million billion left arrow presses', and you get to watch your party slide-turn in one direction uninterruptibly for 5 minutes. Pretty sure that's still in.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tendales posted:

Like, the turning animation was obviously created by someone who has never actually physically rotated in his life. Instead of any kind of actual rotation animation, the view of 90 degrees to the side just kind of scrolls into view. So if you're looking at a fountain in front of you, then the fountain slides off the screen to the right at the same time that the side view of the same fountain slides in from the left.
To be fair, that's how the first Lands of Lore did it. It just did it a lot faster and that looked fine.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chev posted:

To be fair, that's how the first Lands of Lore did it. It just did it a lot faster and that looked fine.

Lands of Lore came out in 1993, though. Assuming the demo Tendales played was 15 years ago, that was still a method that was ten years out of date.

Tendales posted:

I played a little of the Grimoire SUPER SEKRIT DEMO a million years ago when that was released, and it's hilariously bad.

Reportedly, this has not been changed, and in the post I read where Cleve talks about it he didn't seem to understand what the problem even is.

Oh, remembered another nice touch. There's no keyboard buffer sanitizing. So if your cat steps on the left arrow for a few seconds, then it'll just read the normal old windows input 'a million billion left arrow presses', and you get to watch your party slide-turn in one direction uninterruptibly for 5 minutes. Pretty sure that's still in.

GotY material here, folks.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ornamented Death posted:

Lands of Lore came out in 1993, though. Assuming the demo Tendales played was 15 years ago, that was still a method that was ten years out of date.
The method itself is not out of date, it's just that Grimoire does it wrong by being too slow. The method itself is a still a mighty fine solution to the problem of animating a turn when your 2d assets only contain views in increments of 90°.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Naw, it was out of date before Grimoire even started development. It was out of date when Lands of Lore did it. You could use the exact same 2D assets and get a better visual result out of a simple raycaster. It's not complicated; I've done it just for fun and I'm not a genius neanderthal superprogrammer.

And even that's ignoring the fact that if you're not literally living in the 90s you can just throw your assets into Unity or something and be done over a long weekend.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Grimoire in all it's (super demo from 2013) glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU74X8PMwks

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tendales posted:

Naw, it was out of date before Grimoire even started development. It was out of date when Lands of Lore did it. You could use the exact same 2D assets and get a better visual result out of a simple raycaster. It's not complicated; I've done it just for fun and I'm not a genius neanderthal superprogrammer.

And even that's ignoring the fact that if you're not literally living in the 90s you can just throw your assets into Unity or something and be done over a long weekend.

Even Notch made one for a game jam.

I'm sure his gameplay code is written in something weird like pascal but he could still keep that isolated and use off the shelf for rendering in a weekend of work and have no wonky rear end turning.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 3, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So was someone joking earlier or is this guy really a fascist/nazi/rear end in a top hat and I shouldn't buy his game and support him. Because the game looks interesting. I'm not familiar with the dark comedy that was the 20 year development.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Node posted:

So was someone joking earlier or is this guy really a fascist/nazi/rear end in a top hat and I shouldn't buy his game and support him.

The fact that he's a crazy conspiracy theorists often obscures the fact that he's also a crazy racist, which I guess doesn't make for funny ironic jokes. Whether you want to buy the game anyway is up to you, but yeah, Cleve is actually a bad person, not just real weird.

EDIT: Seriously, he's so bad he's got his own Rational Wiki article

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Don't worry it's not like you'll ever be able to buy it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blackfyre posted:

Ok so interesting... how much of it will be badly dated for a 'new' title though?
I'm pretty sure the answer is "100% of it".

Tendales posted:

... let me upgrade that to "120% of it".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Node posted:

So was someone joking earlier or is this guy really a fascist/nazi/rear end in a top hat and I shouldn't buy his game and support him. Because the game looks interesting. I'm not familiar with the dark comedy that was the 20 year development.

He's really racist but he's frankly too weird for the other two to apply. He genuinely believes that he's a Neanderthal and is one of the select few remaining who will inherit the planet when homo sapiens dies during the coming race war/nuclear war/ice age/magnetic reversal. Hence the bunker in Australia, which he fled to after knocking out a Mexican dwarf with a jar of bby food during the LA riots. Buy his game

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
A part of me really wants to do an LP of the game, just studying the drat thing as an example of outsider art.

But a much bigger part of me wants to spend that $40 on the xcom2 expansion instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tendales posted:

A part of me really wants to do an LP of the game, just studying the drat thing as an example of outsider art.

But a much bigger part of me wants to spend that $40 on the xcom2 expansion instead.

You talk as if it's ever going to come out

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
That is a lot of dollars for a game with old school design sensibilities and graphics that is made by a weird racist.

Maybe if it goes on a decent sale later and this thread makes it sounds bad/good enough to be worth playing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Clever Spambot posted:

That is a lot of dollars for a game with old school design sensibilities and graphics that is made by a weird racist.

Maybe if it goes on a decent sale later and this thread makes it sounds bad/good enough to be worth playing.

It ain't going on sale, ever

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Holy poo poo

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

You talk as if it's ever going to come out

Well I'm not exactly going to hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

quote:

an aristocrat's manifesto

:allears: