Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nope, need to figure something out. My coach closed his gym and I bought a monthly pass at the new club he's coaching at, and went once. Just bought a house and have spent the past month moving. Thinking of hanging a heavy bag out in the workshop.

Actually considering signing up for a newbie jits program run by a friend's club, 2x a week for August. I should get on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Any recommendation on solid Muay Thai gyms in Columbus, OH? I just relocated here for work and want to get back into training on a regular basis. I have a small amount of previous experience, did about 8 months of Muay Thai at a gym in Brasil back in 2015 but for all intents and purposes I'm probably going to be starting off from a beginner level again.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
Hi, I'm not new to posting here, but I'll introduce myself anyways. I'm Trevor Childs, and I train under Ron Dupuis at Windsor Brazilian Jiujitsu (in the warmest place in the frozen north, Windsor, Ontario, Canada).

Ron and I are in L.A. to train with his instructor: Jean Jacques Machado. We got to do classes and roll in the main HQ in Tarzana, 805 Jiujitsu, and the JJM school in Malibu. On the first night Jean Jacques and Ron promoted me to black belt.

All the lovely people who tried to tear my arms off (I'm the tall goofy looking guy in the panda gi)

It was my first time rolling with multiple black belts, and going in I was mildly terrified. But I was able to hold my own and play my game (half-guard with lockdowns from the bottom, grinding to mount from the top). I have some tricks they aren't used to, and they have some that were a test for me. It was a great way to gauge my skills against a wide array of styles, aggression levels, and body types, and really solidifies where I am in my BJJ journey. I got to train and roll with Greg Hamilton, Mike Armstrong, Jay and Mike Zeballos, and a number of other great people.

I started training just over nine years ago. At the time I was 315 lbs, 26 years old, and hadn't done anything seriously athletic for over a decade. I had seen BJJ on an early season of The Ultimate Fighter (back when the show was mostly focussed on their training), and passed by WBJJ every day on my to and from work. One day I wandered in, and after that first lesson I never wanted to leave. I trained every hour they were open, and got my blue belt fairly quickly because of the hours I put in.

An avulsion tear took me out for a few months, but I went back as soon as I was medically able. That patten repeated twice more, for patellar tendonosis at purple belt, and traumatic tennis elbow (i.e. I slipped while in an armbar) requiring surgery at brown belt. When my knee was healing I decided to finally start eating properly, and now I'm at about 210, which looks a bit skinny on my frame.

The cliché quote is that "a black belt is just a white belt that kept showing up." That's me. I'm not naturally athletic, and I'm nowhere near as strong as other guys. My physical gifts end at being tall, and more flexible than big guys usually are. It doesn't really matter though, because I kept showing up. I kept learning, and training. Now, after this last week I'm confident that I am where I should be for this rank. Things that were major problems for me at white and blue belt are now things I can weave around, because I kept showing up and learning for nine years.

(Note: I did try açaí for the first time this week, so it could just be the magic jiujitsu berries that carried me)

So, yeah, this is getting pretty long, but that's my story so far. A fat, weak, computer programmer living far from the major training hubs can become a tricky and technical black belt. Just keep showing up.

generatrix fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 30, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Perfect picture for the thread. Congrats.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congrats!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

generatrix posted:

Hi, I'm not new to posting here, but I'll introduce myself anyways. I'm Trevor Childs, and I train under Ron Dupuis at Windsor Brazilian Jiujitsu (in the warmest place in the frozen north, Windsor, Ontario, Canada).

Ron and I are in L.A. to train with his instructor: Jean Jacques Machado. We got to do classes and roll in the main HQ in Tarzana, 805 Jiujitsu, and the JJM school in Malibu. On the first night Jean Jacques and Ron promoted me to black belt.

All the lovely people who tried to tear my arms off (I'm the tall goofy looking guy in the panda gi)

It was my first time rolling with multiple black belts, and going in I was mildly terrified. But I was able to hold my own and play my game (half-guard with lockdowns from the bottom, grinding to mount from the top). I have some tricks they aren't used to, and they have some that were a test for me. It was a great way to gauge my skills against a wide array of styles, aggression levels, and body types, and really solidifies where I am in my BJJ journey. I got to train and roll with Greg Hamilton, Mike Armstrong, Jay and Mike Zeballos, and a number of other great people.

I started training just over nine years ago. At the time I was 315 lbs, 26 years old, and hadn't done anything seriously athletic for over a decade. I had seen BJJ on an early season of The Ultimate Fighter (back when the show was mostly focussed on their training), and passed by WBJJ every day on my to and from work. One day I wandered in, and after that first lesson I never wanted to leave. I trained every hour they were open, and got my blue belt fairly quickly because of the hours I put in.

An avulsion tear took me out for a few months, but I went back as soon as I was medically able. That patten repeated twice more, for patellar tendonosis at purple belt, and traumatic tennis elbow (i.e. I slipped while in an armbar) requiring surgery at brown belt. When my knee was healing I decided to finally start eating properly, and now I'm at about 210, which looks a bit skinny on my frame.

The cliché quote is that "a black belt is just a white belt that kept showing up." That's me. I'm not naturally athletic, and I'm nowhere near as strong as other guys. My physical gifts end at being tall, and more flexible than big guys usually are. It doesn't really matter though, because I kept showing up. I kept learning, and training. Now, after this last week I'm confident that I am where I should be for this rank. Things that were major problems for me at white and blue belt are now things I can weave around, because I kept showing up and learning for nine years.

(Note: I did try açaí for the first time this week, so it could just be the magic jiujitsu berries that carried me)

So, yeah, this is getting pretty long, but that's my story so far. A fat, weak, computer programmer living far from the major training hubs can become a tricky and technical black belt. Just keep showing up.

That's awesome, congrats!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

generatrix posted:

good stuff

Not gonna lie, I needed this post. I'm not doing martial arts right now but I am trying to get my weight down and get healthier at 27 and sometimes I feel like I'm already an old useless piece of poo poo who won't get anywhere near my "goals". This kind of legitimate inspiration is excellent. Congratulations man. It's a great story and an even greater accomplishment.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Congrats dude. That's awesome. I aspire to keep showing up until my belt turns black as you did. I'm at purple now, so I hope that by clearing the disappearing blue phase that I'm in it for the long haul.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Awesome, congrats!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congrats generatrix!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

generatrix posted:

Congrats! :toot: That's awesome, thanks for the update.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Congrats!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My dudes, I haven't commented in a while but I keep reading, I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment, I had a couple of weeks off from work/training and I'm really struggling to drum up the motivation to train, I still go to pro wrasslin training each week but I haven't been to my martial arts school in nearly a month!!

I can't put my finger on what it is as normally I'm pumped to go, I have been busy recently with work coupled with some minor financial woes that have crept up on me but it's not like I'm having a rough time.
I do have some issue with my shoulder that plays up that I'm a bit concerned about (I'm booked in to get it checked Thursday but it's been a long time coming) I still keep up with my lifting it's just the martial arts.

How do you guys get over these periods????

(FYI: I didn't specify what martial arts as I work shifts so I generally just do whatever the school has on that day, it's mostly Thai,Bjj,Boxing and MMA but they also do judo and yoga as well as strength and conditioning classes)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gaz2k21 posted:

My dudes, I haven't commented in a while but I keep reading, I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment, I had a couple of weeks off from work/training and I'm really struggling to drum up the motivation to train, I still go to pro wrasslin training each week but I haven't been to my martial arts school in nearly a month!!

I can't put my finger on what it is as normally I'm pumped to go, I have been busy recently with work coupled with some minor financial woes that have crept up on me but it's not like I'm having a rough time.
I do have some issue with my shoulder that plays up that I'm a bit concerned about (I'm booked in to get it checked Thursday but it's been a long time coming) I still keep up with my lifting it's just the martial arts.

(FYI: I didn't specify what martial arts as I work shifts so I generally just do whatever the school has on that day, it's mostly Thai,Bjj,Boxing and MMA but they also do judo and yoga as well as strength and conditioning classes)

I remind myself that even on the days that I don't feel like going, I usually have a good time when I'm there and feel better about myself afterwards.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Congrats! Big accomplishment.

Also it looks like JJM looks like hes ALWAYS ready to choke a MF'r out.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Congratulations, man! Inspiring stuff.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

This is awesome, you should post / copy it in the grappling / bjj thread in rowdy ring sports.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Goof story Trix, thanks for posting. Very inspiring. Good job.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

spiralbrain posted:

Also it looks like JJM looks like hes ALWAYS ready to choke a MF'r out.

He's very friendly, and does smile a lot in person. But yeah, he's pretty much the scariest person in the world when he's looking serious.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Gaz2k21 posted:

Think of it as you can go and if you don't enjoy it that you can just leave early and go home or go lift weights instead. But youll find after the warmup youll almost always decide to stay.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Nierbo posted:

Think of it as you can go and if you don't enjoy it that you can just leave early and go home or go lift weights instead. But youll find after the warmup youll almost always decide to stay.

That's what I tell myself when I'm not feeling like practice. Just get through the door. I don't have to stay (though I always do), I just have to get there. I also remind myself that I've often regretted skipping practice but never regretted showing up.

Consider your goals as well. Do you come to practice to have a good time or to get better at your respective martial art? You can't count on having fun but for every practice you can count on being better at the end than you were at the beginning.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Yeah you guys are right, I just need to bite the bullet and get into it...
I've got a few days before I can make a class so I'll keep up the weights until then.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gaz2k21 posted:

Yeah you guys are right, I just need to bite the bullet and get into it...
I've got a few days before I can make a class so I'll keep up the weights until then.

Make sure to come back and post how glad you are that you did it and how much fun you had!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Now that I am happy with my size (still want more but im fairly secure with my weight now at 175lbs-180lbs) I am looking to get back more into training MMA and Boxing. I know I'll need to keep up my eating to keep my size, but does anyone have any 2 day a week lifting routines that will help me maintain my size and strength. I am thinking 2 days lifting and up to 3 days striking or grappling a week.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Day A
squat/barbell bench/row

Day B
squat/ohp/deadlift

Whatever for accessories.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You're a danger to yourself and others. Good luck.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

Day A
squat/barbell bench/row

Day B
squat/ohp/deadlift

Whatever for accessories.

this is stronglifts & it's what I do. I'm very powerful, and good looking as well. https://stronglifts.com/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Now that I am happy with my size (still want more but im fairly secure with my weight now at 175lbs-180lbs) I am looking to get back more into training MMA and Boxing. I know I'll need to keep up my eating to keep my size, but does anyone have any 2 day a week lifting routines that will help me maintain my size and strength. I am thinking 2 days lifting and up to 3 days striking or grappling a week.

Wait, you went on gear without a solid enough knowledge of how to work in the gym to make maximal use of what it does for you?

Jesus, dude.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

this is stronglifts & it's what I do. I'm very powerful, and good looking as well. https://stronglifts.com/

Stronglifts might be a bit much if you're also training a lot, though. Definitely adjust reps and weight increases as needed, assuming the focus is better at fighting over better at lifting weights.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Liquid Communism posted:

Wait, you went on gear without a solid enough knowledge of how to work in the gym to make maximal use of what it does for you?

Jesus, dude.

I had a an excellent plan in place and did lots of reading as to what I should be doing, backed up by training along side pro's.

I had to give up mma/boxing and would like to start back up again now I have the size, and was simply seeing if anyone had any thoughts.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, go do pro wrestling.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Willie could pull off a British Matt Riddle

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
I started BJJ last September and have been training pretty actively from there on. Had a pretty long break though from the beginning of January to the beginning of May as I was doing an exchange student program in Singapore. I decided I wouldn't search for a job this summer but train instead and started to go training 4-5 times a week. I even did 6 times one week but that might have been a bit too much as I got a swollen ear for it and I'm waiting for it to heal a bit now. I feel like I've made huge progress this summer and rolling against blue belts is beginning to go OK. I made a promise to myself to go to a some sort of competition next year. Also I want to get into no-gi next.

That's my BJJ story so far.

This is just shameless gloating but this is the gym I train at:

It's the biggest one in Finland and maybe even in Europe? It's a bummer I move to another city next month so I'll have to search for another gym now that I've really started to get to know people at my current gym.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On the upside, you don't have to live in Oulu any more. :v:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Oh my, that is nice.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Welp that is probably the third nicest training facility I've ever seen. So jealous. It's kinda crazy how nice these facilities can get, I remember seeing a video about a fight gym that had a huge training space, massage area, barber, gi dry cleaning drop off, weight room, just all of the nice things.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

old.flv posted:

Willie could pull off a British Matt Riddle

The British don't need a Matt Riddle, the American Matt Riddle is always here anyway

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Read the OP but didn't find anything prohibiting this type of question..

I'm a 6'2" athlete and bodybuilder. I'm interested in just throwing people around and learning joint locks, stuff like that. I work as a doorman a lot, and despite my size and strength, I can be easily dropped by someone that knows how to bend my wrist the wrong way etc. I would be interested in learning how to do that, and prevent it from happening to me lol.

Out of the styles I've been looking at, Judo seems to maybe be what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in learning striking so much. So if my focus is learning throws and locks, defensive stuff mainly, should I look at Judo? Or is BJJ or something similar a better start?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dennis McClaren posted:

Read the OP but didn't find anything prohibiting this type of question..

I'm a 6'2" athlete and bodybuilder. I'm interested in just throwing people around and learning joint locks, stuff like that. I work as a doorman a lot, and despite my size and strength, I can be easily dropped by someone that knows how to bend my wrist the wrong way etc. I would be interested in learning how to do that, and prevent it from happening to me lol.

Out of the styles I've been looking at, Judo seems to maybe be what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in learning striking so much. So if my focus is learning throws and locks, defensive stuff mainly, should I look at Judo? Or is BJJ or something similar a better start?

Both are good. You're going to spend more time on your feet doing throws in judo. But really it'll probably be determined more by what the good coaches near you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dennis McClaren posted:

despite my size and strength, I can be easily dropped by someone that knows how to bend my wrist the wrong way etc. I

Is this a hypothetical, or have some aikidoka been causing trouble at your bar?