Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Except the landlord depositing 20+ checks (which I'm assuming are around a thousand or two) means that it could be considered structuring and now the bank has to report it as suspicious activity, which means our "my income is Bitcoin-based" friend is going to land on someone's radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
:horse:

quote:

My fiance [31 F] has gotten into horses and its getting out of hand with our finances. She's asked me [30 M] to buy a new car to help her.

Been together for 3 years. My fiance went horse riding once with a friend and decided she wanted to get into the hobby. First came the horse riding lessons, then 2 months later, came buying a horse and having it trained, paying for boarding, then came buying a second horse 3 months later, paying for boarding. Now she wants to buy a $10k trailer and for me to buy a big truck to pull it.

Financially, we are both professionals that make pretty good money, but we both have a very large amount of student loans ($400k combined), she needs a new car.

I have saved a pretty good chunk of change for when I start my own business and money is tough, but she hardly has any savings and she doesn't really have any urgency towards savings or responsibility.

I told her one day I had reservations about how much this hobby was starting to cost us. I tried to lay out the idea that she was spending a ton of money on horse things that could be better spent on retirement, loans, savings, her a new car, etc. But she is saying that I'm not supporting her hobbies. I'm not trying to tell her that it's irresponsible to spend her money how she wishes, but I feel like I'm starting to see that her expensive hobby is going to start impacting our future financially.

Any advice?

tl;dr: Fiance got into horses. They're stupid expensive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

I'm not trying to tell her that it's irresponsible to spend her money how she wishes,

Maybe try doing that then.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Okay, you want to ride horses, sure whatever, you want to get lessons on how to ride horses, fine go wild, you want to buy a horse, i wouldn't recommend it but at least i understand the sentiment

...But why would you need the second horse :psyduck:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Between "boy I'm sure glad I had 80k sitting in my chequing account" and "I am independently wealthy from buying/selling bitcoin", I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that post is a fake story to subtly get the down-and-out people in r/legaladvice to buy into the bitcoin bagholding as their one weird trick to solve all their money woes.

( What bank would even process a stack of 20 post-dated cheques?? )

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have saved a pretty good chunk of change for when I start my own business and money is tough, but she hardly has any savings and she doesn't really have any urgency towards savings or responsibility.
How does that not terrify you, or at least concern you enough to have a conversation about it before getting engaged?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ate all the Oreos posted:

Okay, you want to ride horses, sure whatever, you want to get lessons on how to ride horses, fine go wild, you want to buy a horse, i wouldn't recommend it but at least i understand the sentiment

Backup horse. In case your first horse breaks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tipps posted:

They're certainly allowed to.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A working professional really doesn't have time for two horses, so it will become an increasing practical and mental burden to keep them both exercised. She should sell the one she likes least and enjoy her new hobby with less pressure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tipps posted:

Between "boy I'm sure glad I had 80k sitting in my chequing account" and "I am independently wealthy from buying/selling bitcoin", I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that post is a fake story to subtly get the down-and-out people in r/legaladvice to buy into the bitcoin bagholding as their one weird trick to solve all their money woes.

The bank probably just filled out an unusual activity report and deposited them if they were endorsed correctly. It's up to the paying bank to decline them for date.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Tipps posted:

The date on a check is more of a suggestion then anything else. As soon as it's signed and endorsed, it's ready for deposit or cashing.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Shows how much I know about the non-disruptive modes of payment all you non-bitcoin fiatailures use. :smug:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

To run one you have to be able to afford two.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Why buy one horse when you can have two for twice the price?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Perhaps she is planning to open an old timey messenger service?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Enfys posted:

A working professional really doesn't have time for two horses, so it will become an increasing practical and mental burden to keep them both exercised. She should sell the one she likes least and enjoy her new hobby with less pressure.

Or just treat them like cats. The two will entertain and exercise each other! They'll be best buds... You really can't have just one horse, ya know.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Teeter posted:

Or just treat them like cats. The two will entertain and exercise each other! They'll be best buds... You really can't have just one horse, ya know.

I've heard this argument stated sincerely. I've also heard a more "financially responsible" horse person rebut that you can use a goat as companion animals for a horse. You know, a pet for your pet.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

BigDave posted:

The date on a check is more of a suggestion then anything else. As soon as it's signed and endorsed, it's ready for deposit or cashing.

This is one thing I like about Canada. The dates on cheques actually have legal effect on the validity.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Folly posted:

I've heard this argument stated sincerely. I've also heard a more "financially responsible" horse person rebut that you can use a goat as companion animals for a horse. You know, a pet for your pet.

Surely goats must be cheap to own, they eat anything and you can use them to clear out brush.

You could even rent them out and put people out of work: https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/Weird/wireStory/grievance-filed-mowing-goats-university-michigan-48620607

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Mantle”" post="“474979089”"]
This is one thing I like about Canada. The dates on cheques actually have legal effect on the validity.
[/quote]

They do here too.

You have one year to cash a personal check. Dates matter. How much it matters is up for debate, but we rejected checks all the time that were post dated.

The bank isn’t going to help him here, but he might have a civil suit. If you give someone a year’s worth of rent checks the expectation is they don’t deposit it all at once. The ‘damages’ are too much for small claims, but he’d probably have a case if he wanted to pursue it. It all depends on his lease and whether or not he wants a court to know he deals drugs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Put out of work by goat scabs

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

You can rent goats on Amazon along with the hottest new releases

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A few goats can cut a bunch off your property taxes in a lot of jurisdictions.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

monster on a stick posted:

Surely goats must be cheap to own, they eat anything and you can use them to clear out brush.

You could even rent them out and put people out of work: https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/Weird/wireStory/grievance-filed-mowing-goats-university-michigan-48620607

my brother has a goat he got as a gag gift for his wedding (he and his now wife lived on a farm at the time). they sold the farm and moved into the suburbs and kept the goat. it's a good conversation piece at parties

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

my brother has a goat he got as a gag gift for his wedding (he and his now wife lived on a farm at the time). they sold the farm and moved into the suburbs and kept the goat. it's a good conversation piece at parties

GWM would be using it instead of a lawnmower.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

So they can make infinitely more, for free!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

The goat can talk? Awesome!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

If you have one horse you will need a second horse to keep it company.

And if you have two horses and ride one you will need a third horse to keep company with the one left behind...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/02/pf/early-retirement/index.html

If you graduate from Harvard debt-free and work in finance while living in the smallest available walk-up in NYC for 7 years, you, too, can retire before 30!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Carry the amount of horses you think a rich person would carry

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Not a Children posted:

If you graduate from Harvard debt-free and work in finance while living in the smallest available walk-up in NYC for 7 years, you, too, can retire before 30!

Her whole story is GWM. Maybe not the maid service, if you are retired and living in 325 sq ft place it seems like you can clean it yourself unless she is really pregnant, but she can afford it and managed to get out of the rat race early in life.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 3, 2017

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Lmao I love her frugal budget that includes a spartan $869/mo spent on eating out and $212/mo maid service

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Her whole story is GWM.

Yeah its really good to see someone finally make it unlike those other suckers with the millstone of going to the best college in the world for free around their necks

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Not a Children posted:

i think you have the wrong thread

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yeah its really good to see someone finally make it unlike those other suckers with the millstone of going to the best college in the world for free around their necks

quote:

"I was very aware of how expensive Harvard was," said Livingston. "I decided I should just get out early." She paid for school through scholarships and her family's savings. Graduating early allowed her to avoid paying additional expenses and move directly into earning an income.

So she gets scholarships which may have even been need based because she describes herself as growing up poor. Then she worked to graduate early which probably meant taking extra classes each semester or quarter or whatever Harvard uses.

I'm trying to get the "BWM" part of this. She doesn't seem to be saying everyone should go to Harvard and live on a mattress for their first year out of school. It certainly worked for her though. I mean this:

quote:

"Incremental improvements that you build into your routine will pay out not just once, but it will pay off multifold," says Livingston. Lowering your rent by adding another roommate, saying you'll only meet friends for brunch, coffee or drinks (as opposed to more expensive dinners), "that will keep paying off for you year after year."

is not exactly "spend less on caviar and limit yourself to an E-class Mercedes" advice, that's pretty solid for most people. Yeah if you are unemployed and homeless her advice won't help but then you aren't thinking about retiring early anyway.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
it's because nowadays, all forms of success are considered to be purely luck, and any kind of self improvement in any aspect of your life is considered to be bootstrapping

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Should have agreed to pay his rent through an Ethereum smart contract.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You obviously get a goat to go with your horse so they can be an odd couple going on hilarious adventures when you aren't looking.

I'm actually reminded of how apparently zoos and sanctuaries get dogs to live with the cheetahs as companion animals, since cheetahs are so high-strung. It's probably not the worst idea to get a pair of any pet, given how most social animals go nuts if left isolated, and you're already getting all the necessary supplies for one and can just buy in bulk.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Just finished reading the thread and been really enjoying it, a bit late to a few of the recent discussions.

HECS, Australian student debt, thing.

Government tried to change the law so that if you died and still owe HECS they could take it out of your estate. The public threw a hysterical tantrum. >.<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are debts not usually applied to the estate?