Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

esperterra posted:

Is this the leaked outline for episode 5???

Nah, the writing is too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stoped watching when they killed Stannis

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Did GRRM ever comment on the Jon Targ reveal in the show? I was just reading an article from last year where he was apparently annoyed about them rezzing Jon, and if he really does resent what the show has become and how it's left him in the lurch, I'd be interested to know what his reaction was to them finally revealing something that you just know he wanted to be the first to reveal himself (even if a lot of people worked it out from day 1).

Ragnarok the Red posted:

What's hammering this home even further is what Littlefinger's character has turned into over the past 2 seasons.

First four years of the show where they're following the books he's a master manipulator, orchestrating Jon Aryn's death, the whole War of Five Kings, Joffrey's eventual assassination, and seizing the power of the Vale. He's Varys' equal in connections and underground influences. He's a massive wildcard and a true threat to gaining the Iron Throne once all the chaos and wars he's instigated subside and he's there to pick up the pieces.

As soon the show passes where he is in the books, D&D transform him into a buffoon.

They had him do the odd boneheaded thing even earlier than that, though, like when he openly taunts Cersei by basically blabbing to her that her knows her brother-loving secret while she's standing right there with all her guards. I remember thinking that was an early red flag that the writers just didn't loving get a lot of these characters, at all.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 2, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JBP posted:

Dude it's fine, Littlefinger will be dead shortly and the Night King will develop the power of speech and astrally project himself to taunt the characters using every synonym for "bad" that D&D can find in a thesaurus.

WESTEROS
NIGHT TIME
IT IS SPOOKY AT NIGHT

[Jon is riding a horse, Night King appears to him.]

Night King: U know nothing Jon Snow hahaha ur dead gf said that, idiot. I will do very inauspicious things to ur new friend

Jon Snow: I will defeat u Night Kign

Night Kign: Haha the outcome for u will be very disadvantageous

[Nihgt Kign disappears, Jon rides horse more]

[John furrows his brows]

[time passes]

[Nite Kin is in Winterfell]

[Night Man respawns Ramsay]

Ramsay the new night guy: I need twenty good zombies

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Surely Jon had that big pile of corpses he was living in briefly last season burnt right?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It's funny how all the ~great schemers~ basically only sucked since season 5:

LF:
- Gives Sansa to Boltons, where she gets raped
- Bets on Stannis, who gets 20 manned
- Secures victory in the North for Jon, for which he gets basically degraded to court jester with regards to his influence.
- dies

Tyrion:
- almost loses Mereen
- gets the Unsullied trapped on Casterly Rock

Queen of Thrones:
- gets her family nuked
- allies with Dany only to see her castle and lands sacked and looted
- dies

Varys:
- helps Tyrion lose Mereen
- forges an alliance between Dany and Dorne/Reach, who get destroyed asap
- gets constantly poo poo on by Red Priestesses

Roose Bolton:
- dies

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

CODChimera posted:

This season has been good fun so far and I'm not really hearing much negativity except for on here.

For some reason people love to watch a show they hate.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Drunk in Space posted:

Did GRRM ever comment on the Jon Targ reveal in the show? I was just reading an article from last year where he was apparently annoyed about them rezzing Jon, and if he really does resent what the show has become and how it's left him in the lurch, I'd be interested to know what his reaction was to them finally revealing something that you just know he wanted to be the first to reveal himself (even if a lot of people worked it out from day 1).

Should have written the books then if it annoyed him. Apparently it was not enough to do some actual work.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CelestialScribe posted:

For some reason people love to watch a show they hate.

It's because the writers are Ramsay and we are all reek now.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Decius posted:

Should have written the books then if it annoyed him. Apparently it was not enough to do some actual work.

They still have never actually explicity said "Jon Snow is a Targaryan" on the show. Gurm had over a year since the ToJ scene to be able to do that but didn't.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I don't follow the off-season stuff at all, and I just wanted to know if he'd actually come out and grudgingly affirmed that the show had finally beaten him to his massive reveal, kind of like he did with 'hold the door.'

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

DoctorGonzo posted:

I stoped watching when they killed Stannis

Will you stop reading when George does the same?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

hanales posted:

George is never going to kill Stannis because he is not going to release another book

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hanales posted:

i started the first book and it was poo poo, i read american gods and the witcher saga instead

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The point I realised show LF was an idiot who had no idea what he was doing was when after placing Sansa with the Boltons he then went to Kings Landing to tell Cersei about it.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the writers intent that he was actually dumb.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Isn't that another artifact of the book plot involving the fake Arya that doesn't make sense when you find and replace her with the real Sansa?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

GaussianCopula posted:

Tyrion:
- almost loses Mereen
- gets the Unsullied trapped on Casterly Rock

- Tells person with dragons not to use dragons in a war and not to attack easily defeated King's Landing where the leaders are. Instead attack some random castle.

Davos in shock at the stupidity at display: "Hell, we almost took it and didn't even have dragons!"

How does Tyrion still have his job? How is he not dragon food now?

Worse yet, Cersei knew her brother would come up with a plan that stupid and she predicted it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

some guy on the bus posted:

- Tells person with dragons not to use dragons in a war and not to attack easily defeated King's Landing where the leaders are. Instead attack some random castle.

Davos in shock at the stupidity at display: "Hell, we almost took it and didn't even have dragons!"

How does Tyrion still have his job? How is he not dragon food now?

Worse yet, Cersei knew her brother would come up with a plan that stupid and she predicted it.

kelly c: "hmm what if I use the dragons to at least destroy that huge armada that's wrecking all our poo poo? you know, like I did in meeren"
tryrion: "no no no that doenst seems safe"
kelly c: "bummer"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

Wait KL doesn't have an army in it does it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Now Euron is popular so if Dany fucks up the fleet she'll just look like an rear end in a top hat

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Item Getter posted:

Isn't that another artifact of the book plot involving the fake Arya that doesn't make sense when you find and replace her with the real Sansa?

Yes.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Item Getter posted:

Well, in the book it was more "LF had this rando northern girl hidden away in one of his brothels" - it's less making this great deal and more giving away a spare bike.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol remember when people thought tyrion was going to ride a dragon?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Tyrion used to be smart and good at leading and I think he must have just drank himself stupid after fleeing King's Landing.

Because now he's just the worst adviser ever.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really was wondering what happened to the Tyrion that spread three different plans for Marcella to different advisors to figure out who was the snitch. None of that political acumen about understanding that deals are made in the back room and the throne room meetings are mostly for show was on display the last two seasons.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I choose to believe that Tyrion died in the battle of the Blackwater having been cast into the water, and the show from that point on is the workings of his feverish mind the decline in quality of the writing reflecting his brain being slowly starved of oxygen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Maester originally writing The Game Of Thrones: Being a Treatise On The Internecine Power Struggles In The Wake of King Robert Baratheon's Death At The Tusks of A Boar dies around the end of the events of Season 4 and what's depicted in seasons 5-8 is Sam's version of events where he took over and tried to punch half-researched things up and make it more exciting to a wider audience.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The best possible ending would be the White Walkers killing everyone, followed by D&D personally appearing to spend a few minutes to talk about global warming

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Accretionist posted:

The best possible ending would be the White Walkers killing everyone, followed by D&D personally appearing to spend a few minutes to talk about global warming

Except instead of D&D its Al Gore and this was all a long con for him to deliver an impassioned speech.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Decius posted:

I know it's been said before but I really blame the show for him not finishing the books. Not because it's taking up his time but because he's now terrified of it not being good enough. Especially after what happened with Feast/Dance.
He had that huge timegap planned out and then it didn't work. And now the books aren't quite working and the show has gone past that bit as well and he just doesn't know how to do it and for it to work.

It's a shame that his book series that I started in loving 1997 is going to end in stupid fanfiction.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don't agree. The show (and concomitant financial success) definitely didn't help, and the fact that they beat him to the punch makes me doubt he will ever finish, but he was already running out of steam after Storm. The entirety of the first three books were published in a shorter interval than the gap between Storm and Feast. He has himself to blame, he bit off more than he could chew.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Max posted:

I really was wondering what happened to the Tyrion that spread three different plans for Marcella to different advisors to figure out who was the snitch. None of that political acumen about understanding that deals are made in the back room and the throne room meetings are mostly for show was on display the last two seasons.

I would be ok with Dany telling Tyrion that he's poo poo at strategy and from now on he'll be dealing with diplomacy and other shenanigans, like finding convenient stashes of magic napalm. When Jorah gets to Dragonstone, or wherever Dany will be loitering at the time, he can take over the military side of things.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There was a suggestion way back in the thread that maybe Tyrion was subconsciously sabotaging himself with lovely plans because they all involve holding off of a full on assault of KL, and he doesn't want to see what little remains of his family (or at the very least Jamie) get horribly slaughtered. I am 100% confident this is not actually the case in the show, but it's a shame because it's a good justification for why Tyrion has been such a dumb-dumb to start the season.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Was Tyrion ever that good at strategy though? He had a cheat code and Tywin ex machina at Blackwater and that's really it. His forte has always been diplomacy and politics.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Thing is, It's fine for characters to make mistakes and be bad at things. It's the fallout from loving up and learning how to overcome your flaws that's interesting. I don't really want to watch a show about people who are perfect and good at everything. People with strengths and weaknesses come together to form a stronger whole is textbook.

Now whether the writers are actually trying to do a thing or there 's any kind of plan at all I don't know. It's entirely plausible Dany will look sternly at Tyrion and then the show just goes on. But hypothetically, it could be handled in a perfectly fine and sensible way..

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Bates posted:

I would be ok with Dany telling Tyrion that he's poo poo at strategy and from now on he'll be dealing with diplomacy and other shenanigans, like finding convenient stashes of magic napalm. When Jorah gets to Dragonstone, or wherever Dany will be loitering at the time, he can take over the military side of things.

Maybe shoulda made room on one of the boats for the champion gladiator who ran a mercenary company.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

drunken officeparty posted:

Maybe shoulda made room on one of the boats for the champion gladiator who ran a mercenary company.

But who's gonna bang Jon Snow with Daario around huh

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Look, Tyrion's most important job currently is to be Midget, the Date Doctor and get Dany and Jon snow to have epic boatsex.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kater posted:

Wait KL doesn't have an army in it does it.

Nope, only the City Watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aewtOGH9ab4

probably the closest king's landing ever got to its own army

• Locked thread