Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

gvibes posted:

One of my ED Texas locals sends me loving smoked turkeys every year. They stink up the entire office.

Well I got good news about that rocket docket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Throatwarbler posted:

Just had the interview and didn't get a chance to say a single word to the person.

Post your thank you email / letter for realsies. You need all the help you can get.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

gvibes posted:

One of my ED Texas locals sends me loving smoked turkeys every year. They stink up the entire office.

Yesss I send these to people every year. They taste amazing.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Not had a job for 2 weeks now. Gotta say it feels pretty good. Scratch that it feels loving amazing. Now I just need to spin my years of criminal law experience into not criminal law future employment and hopefully not law employment.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Torpor posted:

Not had a job for 2 weeks now. Gotta say it feels pretty good. Scratch that it feels loving amazing. Now I just need to spin my years of criminal law experience into not criminal law future employment and hopefully not law employment.

Searching your posts in this thread is lifecomesatyoufast.txt. I hope things get better gune

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

Post the email, post the email, post the email *bangs tin cup on table along with chant*

*chanting in sync with tin cup banging is overwhelming* emails emails emails emails

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Christ, I hate sprawling cases. An upcoming IP case is just sprawling all over the place, which isn't helped by opposing council trying to nitpick the case to death - because that's how she rolls, apparently.

The case itself is impossible to predict or prognosticate, and of course it matters everything to the client who's constantly blowing up my phone. The hours I've logged are already ridiculous, and we're not even at first trial yet. Witness prep is horrible with academics, and I can't stop angsting over every dumb detail in this case as if it's going to matter, and this entire thing would have been settled between rational actors. Unfortunately, I have no such luck.

gently caress a duck I am so sick of this case. Sorry for the rant, I'll be better once I stop getting poo poo cases.

E: Know what would really help? A tiny glass with some quality e-mails.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
OMF I had my first SovCit

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

OMF I had my first SovCit

You can't prove he was driving.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
He was yelling that we couldn't prove that we had jurisdiction over him and that the $25 parking ticket was a violation of his natural right to sit by the lake.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
God drat, he was /\ this close to getting tazed. :(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Where's P. BARNES when you need him.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
All I did was argue with him for 20 minutes, I didn't even offer him a plea

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Those emails, tho

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Did he ask about the emails though?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
If you post the emails with a gold fringe no one can make fun of you for it

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
COMES NOW

FREEMAN:emails::a (((NATURAL CITIZEN)))::INCORPORATED under the laws of the MAGNA CARTA who does not recognize the jurisdiction of this court and does not submit in accordance with section 2-207 of the UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
He signed his plea "Under Duress ///////// All Rights Reserved."

He refused to shake my hand because he was so pissed, and we walked in the room and he dropped a big Blacks Law Dictionary on the desk from 1998, and said, "you have to prove to me that you have jurisdiction over me. I am a Free Man, and you have violated my natural rights."

So I said, "First of all, we have jurisdiction because you committed a criminal offense within the city limits, and secondly, you don't have a natural right to park at the lake without paying the $8 for a parking pass."

It was all downhill from there.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
And then our officer came in with his tazer drawn and said, "Post the Emails."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

He signed his plea "Under Duress ///////// All Rights Reserved."

This is the poo poo that confuses me the most about sovcits.

I can accept a theory of natural laws and refusing to submit to laws you don't think are made by people with jurisdiction over you. It's stupid, but I can "get it" philosophically.

Why do they add loving copyright poo poo into their nonsense? Or the UCC? Or corporate charter stuff? I know the answer is "they're stupid/crazy," but it's just so incoherent with what they are actually arguing for.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

I can accept a theory of natural laws and refusing to submit to laws you don't think are made by people with jurisdiction over you. It's stupid, but I can "get it" philosophically.

Why do they add loving copyright poo poo into their nonsense? Or the UCC? Or corporate charter stuff? I know the answer is "they're stupid/crazy," but it's just so incoherent with what they are actually arguing for.

you need some sort of basis for the legal magic that you're trying to invoke, and contract and commercial law is the most natural thing to look for if your supposed philosophy is that laws only function by agreement

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

Imagine you have a 7th grade education paired with the vague notion that the government and corporations are using the legal system to cheat you, and you start flipping through an out of date legal dictionary for ideas.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

COMES NOW A MERCHANT WITH CONFIRMATORY MEMO UNDER UCC-2

I DO NOT CONSENT TO YOUR "STATUTE" OF :FRAUDS:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You can leave your camera outside the court. With your MOM

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
At one point I started drawing a picture of the State of Texas, and began, "In the 1840s a bunch of people got together and formed this thing called a 'State'..."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Oh, then he explained to me that the code section was "A statute, not a 'law'."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Only THE LORD OUR GOD can make law, duh

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

blarzgh posted:

Oh, then he explained to me that the code section was "A statute, not a 'law'."

You're a war criminal

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

blarzgh posted:

He was yelling that we couldn't prove that we had jurisdiction over him and that the $25 parking ticket was a violation of his natural right to sit by the lake.

To be honest this is pretty air tight.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Saw 22 new posts, I was sure we got the emails.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
No but my levels of stress are manifesting themselves by making me tweak my back twice in four weeks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
6 weeks away from 10 years as a fed and boy am I kicking myself every loving day for not maxing out my god drat student loans

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

6 weeks away from 10 years as a fed and boy am I kicking myself every loving day for not maxing out my god drat student loans

I paid my student loans off as fast as humanly possible. Part of the reason I quit was that I have no debts and, relatively speaking, some savings. On the other hand I may need to marry someone just for health insurance cause holy loving balls. I am not sure how the solo guys/gals do it especially if they have a family.

Edit: I'm currently, as of today, uninsured. When I'm dying of some easily preventable or treatable disease in my bed, unwilling to spend money on a hospital, it would really make me feel better if I could see the emails.

Edit2 (Im not a good poster):

blarzgh posted:

I don't understand why prosecutors would argue with anyone for 20 minutes especially if the other person was a goof. Just tell the dude he can go to trial and you aren't going to argue with him about the law.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 2, 2017

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Torpor posted:

I don't understand why prosecutors would argue with anyone for 20 minutes especially if the other person was a goof. Just tell the dude he can go to trial and you aren't going to argue with him about the law.

Because it was fun?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've a few questions for the UK lawyers. I read through the FAQ but it is understandably US-focused.

- There's been some blurring of lines between solicitor and barrister in recent years, with attendant hand-wringing from the bar about the loss of their precious monopoly. Has this had any significant impact in real terms? I've seen some stats on the number of crossovers but that never tells the whole story.
- I'm starting an OU LLB in October and the idea of choosing between barrister and solicitor after it's done seems so opaque at this point. Is this a choice that will become more natural as the course progresses, or do I need to buzz around some professionals and read some days in the life? Does anyone here have thoughts and opinions either way?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Sovcits are basically trying to practice some kind of legal alchemy/homeopathy, so in order for it to work they believe you have to start with a certain amount of actual stuff before you endlessly dilute it with useless gibberish. And much like regular homeopathy, they don't actually require any relationship between the thing you're trying to solve and the piece of matter they begin with. So you can take a random sampling of the UCC, dilute it a hundred thousand times, and under the principles of homeopathy it has now become a form of super-strong anti-law treatment for anything.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One big thing with sovcits is that most of the people selling this poo poo know it's a scam. They don't care that it's nonsense, it just needs to sound exotic enough to get the mark to pay for it. Everything that happens after that is irrelevant to the scammer.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

This is loving legendary. Close the thread, we're done here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I already got 2 dings from this round of interviews. I sent the partner a thank you letter and mentioned how sorry I was that I didn't get to talk to <person I emailed> a bit more. Her reply was non-commital, so I imagine the rejection letter is already on the way.