Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/892830012881154048

Yes I always mistake phone conversations and face-to-face ones

Not that either of these things occurred anyway

edit: full transcript

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/892835528428711937

This sounds like the type of poo poo I used to come up with when I got busted skipping school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

That's part of a longer video. Link to when they tased him for 45 uninterrupted seconds, with him restrained in a chair five officers on him.

I am distinctly reminded of the time the RCMP tased a Polish immigrant to death at YVR.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gobbeldygook posted:

That's part of a longer video. Link to when they tased him for 45 uninterrupted seconds, with him restrained in a chair five officers on him.

did they at least yell over and over 'stop resisting' ??

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

This man is 31 years old.

I have a theory that the entire Trump administration is actually a huge piece of performance art meant to be a live-action 5th season of Arrested Development, where the Bluths are replaced with more evil versions of themselves. Miller is totally Evil Buster; Donald Junior is Gob.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

ded posted:

did they at least yell over and over 'stop resisting' ??

Well, they asked him while he was strapped to a chair if he would stop resisting, and there was a muffled reply probably due to the cop that had him by the neck, and the cop with the tazer said "no you won't" and then proceeded to shock him some more.

So, kind of.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

suboptimal posted:

I have a theory that the entire Trump administration is actually a huge piece of performance art meant to be a live-action 5th season of Arrested Development, where the Bluths are replaced with more evil versions of themselves. Miller is totally Evil Buster; Donald Junior is Gob.

Marry me!

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

That's part of a longer video. Link to when they tased him for 45 uninterrupted seconds, with him restrained in a chair with five officers on him.

I'd really appreciate some kind of "Wow, that's hosed up, anyone in my department who did that would be out of a job before they could take their finger off the taser's trigger" from the cops who post in here, because all I'm taking away from that video is that all pigs must loving hang.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

ok

I mean I kinda thought that went without saying

if I had to post about every cop who did a hosed up thing in a department 1000 miles away I would never get to shitpost about game of thrones so just assume a blanket condemnation from me unless I explicitly stated otherwise

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Smiling Jack posted:

ok

I mean I kinda thought that went without saying

if I had to post about every cop who did a hosed up thing in a department 1000 miles away I would never get to shitpost about game of thrones so just assume a blanket condemnation from me unless I explicitly stated otherwise

Done. :mad::hf::cop:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So from that signing statement from Trump that I linked to earlier:

quote:

"By limiting the Executives flexibility, this bill makes it harder for the United States to strike good deals for the American people, and will drive China, Russia, and North Korea much closer together. The Framers of our Constitution put foreign affairs in the hands of the President. This bill will prove the wisdom of that choice.

Meanwhile Medvedev just tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/892847115281485824

So either the Russians are trolling the gently caress out of Donnie, or they're trying to prod him even further. There's also (unconfirmed) rumors that Trump and Putin had a phone call before Trump signed the bill.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So why did he sign it, then.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

heh, you know the answer

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
gently caress, I love that last paragraph. It's the executive version of this classic:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

http://time.com/4884407/jeff-flake-donald-trump-2016-election-republicans-congress-conservatives/

*says republicans are sellouts then votes to take away healthcare*

:piss:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I feel like when Flake and other republicans do this but continue to vote along party lines for even the most abhorrent poo poo, they're only doing it so in the future if/when Trump is frogmarched out of the White House, they can say "See, we knew all along he was no good!"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the two party system needs to die but i don't know how to kill it or if it would create a post-Iraq invasion power vacuum and birth the government version of ISIS or some poo poo

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/892830012881154048

Yes I always mistake phone conversations and face-to-face ones

Not that either of these things occurred anyway

edit: full transcript

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/892835528428711937

See if this were any other president, I'd say spinning a mistake about a phone conversation vs a face to face conversation as a lie would be a bit much.

This is not any other president.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

psydude posted:

Because he couldn't block it.

Congress isn't going into an actual recess. Something they decided in January because they don't want Trump making recess appointments (its the same rule they used to stop Obama from making appointments). So if he doesn't sign it, it becomes law anyway on August 8th. If they went into an actual recess then it dies under pocket veto laws. If they are in session then the President has 10 days minus Sundays or it automatically becomes law. He signed it now to just take the poo poo storm while there are enough problems to minimize the impact. This would dominate headlines for a week normally. But at the moment its a page 2 story in the states.

TBeats posted:

the two party system needs to die but i don't know how to kill it or if it would create a post-Iraq invasion power vacuum and birth the government version of ISIS or some poo poo

The only way to kill a two party system is to have one of the parties to melt down into waring factions. We almost had it happen with the Republicans when the Tea Party showed up. But Michale Steele and Reince Priebus caved to some of the less stupid ideas to bring them back under the umbrella and then watched as anyone with a spine caved more.

The Democrats on the other hand are going to shoot themselves in the face. Which will cause multiple groups to rise up and tell them to get hosed.

So its in the process of happening. Watch for waves of independents running on fiscally conservative/socially liberal policies, causing the DNC to bitch about Bernie Bros ruining their chances of winning because they are loving retarded and can't understand that its not the Progressives that are torpedoing most their seats.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Genocide Tendency posted:

So its in the process of happening. Watch for waves of independents running on fiscally conservative/socially liberal policies, causing the DNC to bitch about Bernie Bros ruining their chances of winning because they are loving retarded and can't understand that its not the Progressives that are torpedoing most their seats.

The fiscally conservative/socially liberal/mentally retarded/ are that big empty square in the lower-right. Source.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Gobbeldygook posted:

The fiscally conservative/socially liberal/mentally retarded/ are that big empty square in the lower-right. Source.

You mean no one voted for a candidate that didn't exist? YOU DON'T SAY!

Someone campaigning that Washington is spending too much money on dumb poo poo and not giving the people things we need like decent health care is going to be very popular. Especially after the shitfest that was 2016.

Using the 2016 campaign as proof of anything other than "this is what happens when you make people choose between a punch in the face or a kick to the groin" is dumb.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Genocide Tendency posted:

You mean no one voted for a candidate that didn't exist? YOU DON'T SAY!

Someone campaigning that Washington is spending too much money on dumb poo poo and not giving the people things we need like decent health care is going to be very popular. Especially after the shitfest that was 2016.

Using the 2016 campaign as proof of anything other than "this is what happens when you make people choose between a punch in the face or a kick to the groin" is dumb.
You are willfully missing the point of the chart. There are very few dots in the fiscally conservative/socially liberal/mentally retarded/ quadrant and most of them voted for Other, ie Johnson. There is not a vast body of libertarians just waiting for the right candidate. Americans have collectively looked upon the libertarian plan and said "nah, gently caress off". The actual interesting part is the upper left quadrant: socially conservative/economically liberal, aka populists. They want a candidate that will ban abortion, get rid of the Mexicans, and give welfare to white people which is what they thought they were getting from Trump.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
George Bush's great legacy continues to touch the lives of brave American families a decade and a half later.

Seattle will burn with the might of a thousand suns for their sinful preponderance.

Has science gone too far? Not until real life anime characters are born, I say.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

We're never leaving Afghanistan, are we.

We should just bite the imperialist bullet and turn it into a Territory, like the British did.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BigDave posted:

We're never leaving Afghanistan, are we.

We should just bite the imperialist bullet and turn it into a Territory, like the British did.

In this new NBC article

- Donnie compares Afghanistan to a failing NYC restaurant and got the timeframe wrong (said it closed for a year, it was two months)

- Donnie wants to fire the 4-star in charge of Afghanistan because :confused:

- Donnie will not sign off on a new Afghanistan policy because he doesn't know what he wants

- Donnie complained that NATO troops are lovely (cited unnamed veterans)

- Donnie wants Afghanistan minerals and is annoyed that China bought mineral rights in Afghanistan a decade ago

- Mattis takes walks when deciding things and after a particular meeting with Donnie he took a REALLY long walk

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/892876015818727424

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 2, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
someone break it down for me. what do people theorize would happen if we just.... left afghanistan? not leaving a small group of US troops behind. i mean 100% of all US assets out.

if the answer is gas prices would go up, then that's the answer. if the answer is all of america would die due to terrorist attacks, then that is the answer. but what do "experts" or whatever think?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
honestly on the grand scheme of things nothing would happen to your average american. The taliban would probably take the country back over and it will be lovely for some people who live there and probably their neighbors for a while.

For people in the states? I don't think there's anything really.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

In this new NBC article

- Donnie compares Afghanistan to a failing NYC restaurant and got the timeframe wrong (said it closed for a year, it was two months)

- Donnie wants to fire the 4-star in charge of Afghanistan because :confused:

- Donnie will not sign off on a new Afghanistan policy because he doesn't know what he wants

- Donnie complained that NATO troops are lovely (cited unnamed veterans)

- Donnie wants Afghanistan minerals and is annoyed that China bought mineral rights in Afghanistan a decade ago

- Mattis takes walks when deciding things and after a particular meeting with Donnie he took a REALLY long walk

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/892876015818727424

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/rare-earth-afghanistan-sits-1-trillion-minerals-n196861

quote:

The aerial surveys determined that Afghanistan may hold 60 million tons of copper, 2.2 billion tons of iron ore, 1.4 million tons of rare earth elements such as lanthanum, cerium and neodymium, and lodes of aluminum, gold, silver, zinc, mercury and lithium. For instance, the Khanneshin carbonatite deposit in Afghanistan's Helmand province is valued at $89 billion, full as it is with rare earth elements.

Huh, learn something new every day. Here I thought the main exports were Islamic extremism and military contractor fraud.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

TBeats posted:

someone break it down for me. what do people theorize would happen if we just.... left afghanistan? not leaving a small group of US troops behind. i mean 100% of all US assets out.

if the answer is gas prices would go up, then that's the answer. if the answer is all of america would die due to terrorist attacks, then that is the answer. but what do "experts" or whatever think?

Depends

Is an immediate withdrawl from the country followed by an immediate re-entry with MIRVs?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

psydude posted:

I'm guessing it was a case of being black in Alabama, which carries a life sentence for most charges.

Disorderly conduct carrying a prison/supervision sentence is often indicative of domestic abuse. Domestic abusers, like repeat drunk drivers and sex offenders, often have their own set of special court conditions, because apparently women being murdered by their significant others is a problem often preceded by a string of domestic abuse incidents popping up like roadmarkers along the road from JealousBoyfriendVille to MurderSuicideLand.

"Why not charge them with ASSAULT then?"

Good question. Victims typically recant their statements and refuse to cooperate with investigations/prosecution due to love/fear/manipulation/etc.

So you get Disorderly Conduct w/a bunch of conditions. And if you fail to meet those conditions, you face greater consequences (like prison).

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TBeats posted:

Taliban burn all the poppies and the opiate crisis stops as there is no cheap heroin anymore.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

TBeats posted:

The Taliban kills, rapes and bribes their way back into power, turn it into a Middle East version of Cuba, and opens the border to anyone with a beard that the US doesn't like.

Just ordered the bombing of the Temple Mound and need a place to hide out? For half a million in hard currency you can live in Kabul for a while.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

TBeats posted:

We will never leave Afghanistan. Try to take a survey of all airfields we have near unlimited access and options on how to utilize to in Central Asia. Think about what platforms we can fly out of those, not counting Afghanistan with BAF, KAF, KIA, the best airfield in the region would be Al Udeid (which is far superior to those three but is also in the ME). Though while Qatar is a better airbase, that doesn't give us a location near the eastern border of Iran, the western border of China, and the southern border of Russia (yes I know there's a few countries in between Afghanistan and Russia but still). Until we can get a deal with any of the other Stans to setup a well constructed airfield we can do drat near whatever out of (which Russia won't allow in 4 of the 6) we will never leave Afghanistan.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Every American penis would instantly shrink 70%

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ari Melber just had on an Obama-turned-Bernie-turned--Trump supporter who was incoherent and kept referencing some great infrastructure plan that doesn't exist. It was pretty uncomfortable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

And also their neighbor they're at war with has nuclear weapons and a weak government.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/891751305580032003

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/rare-earth-afghanistan-sits-1-trillion-minerals-n196861

Huh, learn something new every day. Here I thought the main exports were Islamic extremism and military contractor fraud.

They are, it's too unstable for major mining and export operations which is why China really wants us to stay there and burn trillions of dollars stabilizing the place so they can get their mineral exports.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

TBeats posted:

Afghanistan would continue to be a lovely place and every decade or so we'd be the victim of a shocking but ultimately irrelevant terror event, kinda like now.

Oh yeah we'd melt down because our national identity is tied to the military's success and extricating ourselves from the War on Terror means it was one giant pointless failure. We're too far down that rabbit hole to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

First up: The president has AGAIN donated his salary

You cannot make this poo poo up

• Locked thread