Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mountaineer posted:

I see Great Britain end up as the Protestant League leader often. Meanwhile I've got more dev than them and a bigger army but apparently aren't worthy of the leading the league. I wish I understood the mechanics of how the game chooses a non-HRE nation as the head of the Protestant League.
One way to do it might be to have the head of the league actually be chosen by the HRE members that are part of the league, in a similar fashion as the emperor - just with different things increasing their support for you. Instead of the "in the empire" bonus you could have it for any country that has territory or subjects in the empire, and then bonuses for military tech, army tradition, army size, and so on, which would make it much more obvious why a specific country was the league leader and who you'd have to suck up to/how much you'd have to built up your army to take their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Can you still join the HRE early on as Sweden? If I remember right it involved conquering a baltic island that was adjacent to the HRE and releasing vassals in the north to get under the development cap.

Might make it easier to get Lion of the North if you're an HRE member.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddium posted:

in this russia game i'm finishing up bosnia was the birthplace of protestantism. i don't think they lasted until the league wars though

i forgot about this part haha

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Well I didnt not know this was possible and its incredibly annoying. My colonial Mexico just vassalized 3 countries. Which now means I'm 3 drat diplomatic relations above my limit, and if I want to cancel them I'm going to lose 75 prestige. I dont want these vassals. I'm already losing 3 diplo power integrating France.

EDIT: I guess the good news is just after that I did the circumnavigate the earth and got 100 free prestige.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 31, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

Can you still join the HRE early on as Sweden? If I remember right it involved conquering a baltic island that was adjacent to the HRE and releasing vassals in the north to get under the development cap.

Might make it easier to get Lion of the North if you're an HRE member.

Vassals count towards your development for that now, you actually need to give up that land completely.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Dev diaries have started again; there will be map changes in Yemen

Arabia

and Egypt

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Looks good. I hope the Mamluks are getting buffed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I wonder if they will revisit the Ottos vs Mamluks event chain so that it has some chance of ever firing.

e: though tbh they could probably just scrap it since the Ottos don't need much help to crush the Mamluks by the early 16th century

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 1, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

I wonder if they will revisit the Ottos vs Mamluks event chain so that it has some chance of ever firing.

e: though tbh they could probably just scrap it since the Ottos don't need much help to crush the Mamluks by the early 16th century
Eh, I think with some of the events / missions that a lot of the other major European powers get (I'm looking at you, Castille, Austria, and Poland) it would be cool if the Ottomans had a way to inherit the Mamluks if they beat them badly enough, with some sort of drawback (lock the Autonomy of Egypt higher for a time or unrest, manpower penalty, part of southern Egypt breaks away, I'm sure they could think of something). The Mamluks were a paper tiger by that point in time and the Ottomans easily took over because of rebellious/defecting amirs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tendronai posted:

Arabia

and Egypt

Also - next week they will be showing changes in Anatolia and the Caucasus, and you can also see at least one change in the Basra region (purplish map colour) indicating that the map changes are going to extend at least into Iraq. I am really hoping that they are going to go all the way and make Iran into something more fun to interact with because the current setup is both historically inaccurate and fairly bad for gameplay.

E: there's also a new province name on the Timurid-Baluchi border (Jask) and the province of Gwadar is obviously smaller so it appears that there are some changes to the entire Middle East right up to India though perhaps not as extensive as the Arabia overhaul.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 1, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tendronai posted:

Dev diaries have started again;

I guess I'm glad I held off on doing an Ethiopa run.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Eh, I think with some of the events / missions that a lot of the other major European powers get (I'm looking at you, Castille, Austria, and Poland) it would be cool if the Ottomans had a way to inherit the Mamluks if they beat them badly enough, with some sort of drawback (lock the Autonomy of Egypt higher for a time or unrest, manpower penalty, part of southern Egypt breaks away, I'm sure they could think of something). The Mamluks were a paper tiger by that point in time and the Ottomans easily took over because of rebellious/defecting amirs.

Having Egypt easily conquerable but basically semi autonomous would actually be a pretty good depiction of Ottoman rule over there.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mans posted:

Having Egypt easily conquerable but basically semi autonomous would actually be a pretty good depiction of Ottoman rule over there.

One thing that is sorely missing from this game is a more realistic depiction of autonomy. The current mechanic is just a "you can't have full taxes and stuff from all your land" and besides the core / non-core thing or raising it to avoid revolts it's barely used.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah autonomy should be something you have to invest in reducing (not loving monarch points either). Done well, autonomy could easily solve a ton of the game's problems and give a mechanically meaningful, simple way of representing a huge host of different reasons why a state might not be able to efficiently administer a region. The current implementation is "provinces are a bit shittier just after you conquered them and eventually you run out of state slots" which isn't exactly satisfying.

I'm sure M&T has a really nice autonomy system in there with their 10 billion other things and 5 trillion HRE provinces you can't click making the game run at a snail's pace

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mans posted:

Yeah thats exactly why I put it that way - they conquered it, taxed it, and ruled over it, but I dont think they drew many soldiers / levies or, in EU4 terms, "Cored" and then "Stated" it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Aragon, what are you doing as the Emperor?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Tendronai posted:

Arabia

and Egypt

Why did they make all the provinces all squiggly and ugly? It's empty sand anyway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

played russia for the first time finally since i had third rome. all my accomplishments weren't anywhere as cool as the ai tabarestan going for both persia and the mughals with absolutely minimal to no involvement from me. but they were missing both tabriz and lower doab rest in peace. also castile didn't get the wedding and got blocked from forming spain from their then-ally france taking barcelona haha

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Technowolf posted:

Aragon, what are you doing as the Emperor?

The AI just wants the "Spain is the Emperor" cheevo, okay?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm sure M&T has a really nice autonomy system in there with their 10 billion other things and 5 trillion HRE provinces you can't click making the game run at a snail's pace

If you haven't, you should try it. I was surprised by its performance when I actually tried to play a proper game of it. Yeah, it was slow, but playable slow.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Why did they make all the provinces all squiggly and ugly? It's empty sand anyway.
This is a good question, actually. Would have been neat if, for provinces that border the wasteland, they had some hazy edge rather than solid lines, because sand.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

YF-23 posted:

If you haven't, you should try it. I was surprised by its performance when I actually tried to play a proper game of it. Yeah, it was slow, but playable slow.

My main issue isn't with the actual game speed but with those menus implemented via events. It's a clever idea but I think a better idea would have been designing a system that doesn't require you to add what are effectively a ton of new UI elements that slow down the game massively if you want to go mess with them.

As with most mods of this type they suffer from massive overreach, just because something is technically possible to implement doesn't mean that you should do it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

What's the alternative? They used to go with much cleaner and rounder province borders, and it looked much worse. Having a fade into the wastelands would be kinda cool though.

PS Paradox fix the map projection

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

XCOM style globe mapping

tia

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

PittTheElder posted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i've seen that sick camera pitch when you go to the options menu. give me full camera control like that

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

this makes me unreasonably angry

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wtf is that its beautiful

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IIRC it's some mod where the whole world is just the HRE, lovingly crafted from all of the historical member states and the HRE menu has like a million flags on it lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's Voltaire's Nightmare i think

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

loving tag your border gore

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like to imagine that months in that mode go super fast because the AI is just like "this is way too complicated I'm out"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

voltaires nightmare rules and it also has a start date going back to like 1060 if you just want 800 years of HRE nonsense

it also gives France the mandate of heaven mechanic since the map only includes europe

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

This is beautiful and why isn't there a goon MP game of it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know if a Colonial Nation in Australia prevents the "Turning the Tables" achievement? As in, does the colonial nation that vassalizes its former overlord need to be in the Americas?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No and in fact Australia is the suggested method of getting that achievement.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

No and in fact Australia is the suggested method of getting that achievement.
Perfect, was going to do it with Ternate/Tidore and just kinda game the system.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I did it exactly that way too, took all of 20 minutes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

don't stop i'm so close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
The next version of that mod is expanding it to all of Europe

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932793401

• Locked thread