Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
sass (using scss syntax ofc) is less poo poo than css. is that worth an extra build step? depends

also gl hf writing bootstrap in plain css

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you don't like less/sass you just hate dealing with regular css more.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

motedek posted:

rstudio stamping on a human face forever then. i don't understand why it crashes when the R process segfaults.
well there's always statet *opens r-studio, grimly* visual studio it is, in this case. i hope microsoft just doesnt get bored of first party r support within a couple months

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Shaggar posted:

hardly a contentious position

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Shaggar posted:

yeah that is the reason they exist

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

heck yes, I got the low resolution graphics mode working in my emulator

I need to figure out how to make the beeper work, I don’t know anything about cocoa audio streams

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

:shepface:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

NihilCredo posted:

in unrelated foonkjonal news: some dude made a generative type provider for SQL that parses sql statements directly using migration queries as a compile-time reference and i'm super excited and dare i say horny about it

it's a pretty big deal over existing type providers for two reasons:

1) it doesn't require a connection to a reference DB to work, only the schema declarations. the downside is that you can't point it to the production database and be 100% confident the code matches. the upside is that it also handles migrations on its own, oh right forgot to mention that

2) it's a generative TP, while other SQL type providers are erasing. what this means is that the types it generates are reified as actual .NET classes in an actual library. you can de/serialize them with json.net, you can reference the library from your blubby C# project and get all the types it generated. hell if you want to go the whole nine yards, you should be able to reference the library from a Fable (f# -> js) project and have your database objects be statically-typed accessible from your frontend code without writing a single line of mapping. not saying that would be a smart design in most cases but having the option when appropriate owns

also, it should be way faster than sqlprovider since it doesn't have a linq translation layer underneath, but unlike sqlclient it still supports postgres + sqlite in addition to mssql

warning :nws:

can't wait for type providers to find their way into c#

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

regular css is horrible though

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

shaggar was right

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

fart simpson posted:

that doesn't make less and sass good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

css used to suck, but now we have flexbox and layout isn't hard anymore.

simble
May 11, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

heck yes, I got the low resolution graphics mode working in my emulator

I need to figure out how to make the beeper work, I don’t know anything about cocoa audio streams

just play the mac duck sound instead

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
as someone who is involved with web stuff, i feel that css is something i should know. but holy poo poo it's obtuse and baffling, especially when touching existing stylesheets

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if you need to write CSS you've already hosed up

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
document.querySelectorAll is my favorite thing that's kind of related to css

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

give me frontpage express 2.0 or give me death

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

akadajet posted:

css used to suck, but now we have flexbox and layout isn't hard anymore.

does css have named constants now

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i have an actually vaguely interesting problem, but i forgot how to be good at my job

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HoboMan posted:

i have an actually vaguely interesting problem, but i forgot how to be good at my job

:eyepop:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

hackbunny posted:

does css have named constants now

like constants you can define? heck no. there are "css variables" but there's no spec and its hardly supported well.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, lol if you don't have a designer to do that sort of poo poo.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
if there is anything we can agree on it's that CSS is trash.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

CSS is trash but far less terrible than table-based websites were to maintain.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

necrotic posted:

like constants you can define? heck no. there are "css variables" but there's no spec and its hardly supported well.

lol what is this garbage, it's barely better than nothing

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i need to test what happens when a thing is slow, what's a good way to waste cycles in c#?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Thread.Sleep

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

actually i think you'll find it is c# and all modern languages which are the waste of cycles, if programmers could properly optimize we would all still be using pentium 3s, and furtherm-

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

necrotic posted:

It's funny because Chome had great support but then it was removed due to performance on cascading, so what is left it a small niche optimum set. Generally it isn't too bad but not being able to use a name via JavaScript is rear end. The progress appears to be on "mixins" to make more useful managing of sets of CSS parameters via a label.

This is dumb, you cannot have the entire background value as a single variable:
CSS code:
background: repeating-linear-gradient(
         -55deg,
         var(--halt-chevron-primary-colour),
         var(--halt-chevron-primary-colour) 10px,
         var(--halt-chveron-secondary-colour) 10px,
         var(--halt-chveron-secondary-colour) 20px
 );

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 3, 2017

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

holy poo poo microsoft's docs on threading are bad

like strait-up wrong in places

there's this post from an ms dev saying they are "looking into" removing misleading and/or incorrect sections in the docs

don't worry

they are looking into it

thanks post from a year ago

really need to examine the ramifications of removing incorrect info from a text file

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

HoboMan posted:

i need to test what happens when a thing is slow, what's a good way to waste cycles in c#?

System.Text.BBCode.ProceduralExtensions.YourPostsGenerator

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

HoboMan posted:

holy poo poo microsoft's docs on threading are bad

like strait-up wrong in places

there's this post from an ms dev saying they are "looking into" removing misleading and/or incorrect sections in the docs

don't worry

they are looking into it

thanks post from a year ago

really need to examine the ramifications of removing incorrect info from a text file

low level threading or high level threading? I might be able to help with low level

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i'm using c# sooo...

i just want to do logging in a separate thread

i tried just farting out
C# code:
Task.Factory.StartNew(() => { DoLogging(someGarbageToLog) });
but i think the overhead of spawning a thread is comparable to the overhead of just doing the logging synchronously because it's not any faster

e: none of ms' documentation errors are loving me, it's just i'm reading about them searching around for tips on this

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 3, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

today in Apple we figure out how to implement 6-and-2 GCR and convert a dos 3.3 sector order image into a disk format suitable for a Disk II emulator thingy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

i'm using c# sooo...

i just want to do logging in a separate thread

i tried just farting out
C# code:
Task.Factory.StartNew(() => { DoLogging(someGarbageToLog) });
but i think the overhead of spawning a thread is comparable to the overhead of just doing the logging synchronously because it's not any faster

e: none of ms' documentation errors are loving me, it's just i'm reading about them searching around for tips on this

so theres a few things to think about here, but lets start w/ task.factory.startnew

Theres a good article about it here but the tl;dr: if you do not specify options, it will use the defaults which may mean you are not executed on a thread pool thread. I would suggest either using Task.Run as the article suggests or specifying options for startnew manually. you may also want to specify that it is a long running task if you have serious blocking issues.

however, unless you have already determined you have serious logging performance issues, this is probably a pointless exercise in premature optimization and you don't need to do it. Furthermore, your logging framework probably has tools to make this easier for you to improve logging performance including optional logging statements and asynchronous targets.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I have discovered a truly marvelous solution to CSS, which this margin-right is too narrow to contain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.J. Booger
Jul 19, 2001

CPColin posted:

I have discovered a truly marvelous solution to CSS, which this margin-right is too narrow to contain.

Time to wait 357 years.

• Locked thread