Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Glenn Quebec posted:

Her ankle didn't like tear or snap. It just got wedged somehow by her own goofy movement (I assume) and yes I did have an internal laugh as I watched people become stuck in the door over it.

But I'm enjoying the utter outrage in here over it. Also the suggestion that I'm being racist over it is, like, Italian man kissing fingers good.

you are racist against italians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Glenn Quebec posted:

Her ankle didn't like tear or snap. It just got wedged somehow by her own goofy movement (I assume) and yes I did have an internal laugh as I watched people become stuck in the door over it.

But I'm enjoying the utter outrage in here over it. Also the suggestion that I'm being racist over it is, like, Italian man kissing fingers good.

you shoved her into the door, didn't you

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Great Autismo! posted:

he's not laughing at her because he's Chinese he's laughing because she somehow got her foot stuck in the door

is a bit dark I guess, I saw an elevator tear off part of a Chinese kids finger and I don't think I broke a smile on my face

I did a little bit in that every elevator door in Japan has a warning sticker of a cartoon crab pinching a finger off.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I'd just like to say I really enjoy this thread.

Story time: My father is a Sinologist by education. After visiting both the mainland and Taiwan during '82-83, he decided that if he needed to spend a few years in China to further his studies, Taiwan was the way to go. My mother was a teacher at the time and having trouble finding work in the States owing to the economic depression. When a friend of hers moved best-china way to (guess what?) teach in an English school, she bought a ticket and tagged along. Long story short; madeintaipei was, uh, made. They split the ROC for Germany almost immediately for my health, and their sanity. Which is kind of funny when you consider the large radioactive cloud that subsequently floated over us.

I've read out some of the stories from here and the teaching in China thread to my parents, who invairably say, "That sounds about right". Then they add one of their own to the mix, in my mother's case accompanied by pictures.
I'll see if I can get the digitized versions, if anyone is interested. Lots of shots of how people lived and worked there at the time, both Chinese and foreigners. One that always struck me was an American friend they called TBO (The Beautiful One), posing as a prone "The Thinker" with a book titled, "Why the Chinese Act the Way They Do". Another one I like is where my mother and some friends went to a monument towards Tianmu, next to some military installation. She starts taking pictures of the monument, when from a half-mile away a white mouse (ROC Military Policeman) starts furiously pedalling his bike towards them while screaming in Chinese. No pictures? Okay. So she starts taking pictures of him a quarter mile away. This fucker rolls up all red and sweaty, realizes he's being made fun of, yells out one more, "No pictures" and furiously pedals allll the way back where he came from. He did not look happy.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Stickin' up for wives; some of us are okay. Like our boyfriends just needed a UK visa, or we got straight dickmatized by a superior stiffy, idk like girl stuff lol!!!!♡♡♡♡

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

madeintaipei posted:

I'd just like to say I really enjoy this thread.

Story time: My father is a Sinologist by education. After visiting both the mainland and Taiwan during '82-83, he decided that if he needed to spend a few years in China to further his studies, Taiwan was the way to go. My mother was a teacher at the time and having trouble finding work in the States owing to the economic depression. When a friend of hers moved best-china way to (guess what?) teach in an English school, she bought a ticket and tagged along. Long story short; madeintaipei was, uh, made. They split the ROC for Germany almost immediately for my health, and their sanity. Which is kind of funny when you consider the large radioactive cloud that subsequently floated over us.

I've read out some of the stories from here and the teaching in China thread to my parents, who invairably say, "That sounds about right". Then they add one of their own to the mix, in my mother's case accompanied by pictures.
I'll see if I can get the digitized versions, if anyone is interested. Lots of shots of how people lived and worked there at the time, both Chinese and foreigners. One that always struck me was an American friend they called TBO (The Beautiful One), posing as a prone "The Thinker" with a book titled, "Why the Chinese Act the Way They Do". Another one I like is where my mother and some friends went to a monument towards Tianmu, next to some military installation. She starts taking pictures of the monument, when from a half-mile away a white mouse (ROC Military Policeman) starts furiously pedalling his bike towards them while screaming in Chinese. No pictures? Okay. So she starts taking pictures of him a quarter mile away. This fucker rolls up all red and sweaty, realizes he's being made fun of, yells out one more, "No pictures" and furiously pedals allll the way back where he came from. He did not look happy.

Yes, please, stories!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yes, please, stories!

Of the top of my head, I got one I think you'll get. The school my mother worked at had a revolving cadre of charwomen. They were responsible for cooking the food, clearing up (notice I didn't say cleaning), and helping to herd the children's classes around. Now this building has a sunken courtyard with classrooms on the top floor, and the lower floor split between the kitchen, offices, and bathrooms. My mother wanders on in to work one day to find the courtyard half full of water and the Chinese staff standing in the water, kanrenao-ing at the scary liquid pouring out of the bathrooms. I didn't take long for them to explain that someone had broken one of the sinks off the wall, but the landlord was away for a few days, "What are we gonna do?!". Being the practical midwesterner (Iowan) that she is, I dunno, maybe walk into the bathroom and turn the taps for that sink off? It blew their minds that someone not the landlord, and a woman(!) to boot would know what to do and actually do it.

Really though, my mom loved the job. She was treated well, made three times (NT12,000/month)what anyone else there earned, and was left alone to plan her own lessons. Her students ranged from kindergarten age (the school being ostensibly an American kindergarten) to late 60's, with the children's classes starting early and progressing through the age groups as the day went on. She said she always learned more from the children than the adults, they loved explaining their language to her, with great patience. It was a little like having 50-odd children telling you what they learned in school that day. The old people were truly adorable, as well. One thing I liked was that she made up little practicle excursions to the market and such, which were just as fun and educational for her as the students. She would have the older students write out their day's shopping list in English, and they would help write out her's in Chinese.

My phone is dying, but I'll post some more later.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That doesn't sound too bad at all.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

It really wasn't, to hear her tell it. About the best you could hope for in a place where you didn't know the language, or anything about the culture when you went there!
The school was full-time pay for part-time work, which left plenty of room for side jobs. The side work is usually private 1-on-1 lessons, or "consultancies" for the buisiness people too proud to take lessons. My mother got hired by a Mr. Lin, manufacturer of fine irrigation equipment (Lin's brother's side of the buisiness), and equally fine plastic tchotchkes (the boss' specialty). Think all of those non-sensical toys with those gold and black, "made in taiwan", stickers on them which fell apart as soon as you looked at them. NT300 a week to teach conversational English to the dude and be the token "European" at trade shows. He would have bunches of spinning, blinking, weird-rear end, useless... things in his office.
"So, do you think Americans would like this?"
"I don't know, Mr Lin, but it sure is shiny!"
"Ah, thank you, perfect!"
A couple of months after she started working with him, he calls my mother at work and says, "I'll send a car around for you, tell me the time". Huh, never sent a car before. He pulls up in a chauffeured stretch Lincoln, a horribly impractical choice in Taipei. A friend of his had left for Hong Kong in a huge hurry, leaving a note saying, " Take care of the car, I wont be back". Plastics is cut-throat in the ROC, evidently.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't bad you say, but that was when, the 80s? Before HK was given back to China?

Also interested in stories, but I find school stories with kids hits that "PG-13 humor that adults enjoy" itch more often than not.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mistle posted:

Wasn't bad you say, but that was when, the 80s? Before HK was given back to China?

Also interested in stories, but I find school stories with kids hits that "PG-13 humor that adults enjoy" itch more often than not.

Taiwan in the early-mid eighties. Military rule and all, but that really wasn't much of a problem as a foreigner. No one wants any drama. Big problems for your Chinese friends after curfew, potentially.

Eh, the school story was something for Fleta there. I though Mcgurns might like a few cute bits. Kids are kids, God love 'em.

My parents didn't try to get in trouble over there, they did have good reasons to want to stay in Taiwan. Living life getting along is kinda, well, boring. The better stories usually involve the Chinese just doing their thing, I'll try to get some fun ones from the 'rents when I have a chance.

My dad is stubborn to a fault. Both my mother and father lived on the same slope of what they have called, "Rainbow Cloud Mountain",
my father being lower down the slope. They had talked about moving in together, him into my mother's apartment, but he hadn't made a descision. Dad shows up with a suitcase asking to spend a few days up-slope. When pressed he admits that he didn't realize just how much rain the monsoon brings. The water dripping down the walls didn't make him nervous, he just chalked that down to shoddy construction. The water dripping out of the light fixtures concerned him a little, but the landlord said, "That happens sometimes, it'll stop". The ankle deep water started to make him think something was really wrong, but not as much as a whole apartment's worth of cockroaches migrating onto the top of the fridge. Turns out the roaches had it right, a mudslide filled his apartment full the next night. If you wont listen to your girlfriend, at least pay attention to your roaches.

E: Jesus, I really am trying to get better about the commas!

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 3, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
wow now this racist thread is talking about 'taiwanese slopes' jeez

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

So, earlier I teased that I might get some stories from my uncle who is a high school principal in China, and since everyone else is posting stories I might as well join in.

The Backstory, or gently caress Everything, I'm Going to China.
So, a few years ago my uncle was a vice-principal at a Christian high school in Vancouver that got a significant amount of its funding from a local billionaire (if you're from BC you can probably guess who). Life was pretty good up until my cousin's girlfriend got deported back to Germany and was inadmissible to return because her father was a shitheel who overstayed his visa. My cousin was distraught, but fortunately we're of German descent and Germany has some weird laws that let former Germans go back, so he followed her back to Germany and got married.

My aunt never liked his girlfriend, so his marriage, combined with the fact that her only child, her baby, ran off to Germany, broke my aunt's brain. She didn't go to my cousin's wedding and blamed my uncle for letting him leave, because my uncle's opinion on the matter was "It's his life, let him do what makes him happy." In a move that had everyone else in my family going :wtc: as hard as possible, she wound up divorcing my uncle over it.

This is when the fun started. You see, my aunt's father was also pastor of the local billionaire's church and sat on the board of directors at the school where my uncle worked. As soon as my aunt and uncle separated, my uncle, who until this point was the lead candidate to take over when the principal retired, was called into the director's office and told that he was setting an unchristian example for the students, so they'll have to let him go. This lovely treatment while he was at a low point in his life from the people he had gone to church with for at least the past 20 years caused him to have a serious crisis of faith (he is much less insufferably Christian now).

For those of you keeping score, in only a few months my uncle lost his family, his job, and his faith. To add insult to injury, he was finding it difficult to find a new job, so when an opening for a vice-principal came up at a school in Shanghai, he sold his house in Vancouver to a Chinese student for a cool $2 million and hosed off to China.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

McGavin posted:

For those of you keeping score, in only a few months my uncle lost his family, his job, and his faith. To add insult to injury, he was finding it difficult to find a new job, so when an opening for a vice-principal came up at a school in Shanghai, he sold his house in Vancouver to a Chinese student for a cool $2 million and hosed off to China.

I mean I wouldn't have moved to china but hey follow your dreams.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

wow now this racist thread is talking about 'taiwanese slopes' jeez

gbs hates chink women

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
it was a lovely family, a lovely job, and a lovely faith. hopefully his life gets better but that seems unlikely.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gbs also hates religion. shocker.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hakimashou posted:

You really shouldn't read reddit.com.

You shouldn't even mention it, every time you do posts like the preceding few start showing up.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Stringent posted:

You shouldn't even mention it, every time you do posts like the preceding few start showing up.

The star citizen thread is the worst of all its just people posting loving screen grabs of reddit.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Glenn Quebec posted:

Welcome to when I post stories and people call me a sexist, misogynistic racist sexpat full of pure hatred for the yellow fellows and all vagina-havers.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Haier posted:

As someone who doesn't drink and has never touched hard alcohol.. is this the lucky gasoline that foreigners love to complain about?
Yes. But I kinda like it. Only the really expensive kinds though so I only drink it when we're visiting rich relatives.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

madeintaipei posted:

Taiwan in the early-mid eighties. Military rule and all, but that really wasn't much of a problem as a foreigner. No one wants any drama.

My friend's mom got kicked out of Taiwan during that period for spying... poorly. She was a medical researcher or something and was approached by a women's advocacy group in the states to report on the conditions for women's health rights in Taiwan. She took photos and wrote up a report but in her nervousness, she somehow managed to mail the packet either to the hospital she worked at or a central bureau in Taiwan. Either way, it ended up in the hands of the people she was "spying" on and she was deported. Years later she was "forgiven" and she's lived there since like 2010 as a medical research professor.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atlas Hugged posted:

My friend's mom got kicked out of Taiwan during that period for spying... poorly. She was a medical researcher or something and was approached by a women's advocacy group in the states to report on the conditions for women's health rights in Taiwan. She took photos and wrote up a report but in her nervousness, she somehow managed to mail the packet either to the hospital she worked at or a central bureau in Taiwan. Either way, it ended up in the hands of the people she was "spying" on and she was deported. Years later she was "forgiven" and she's lived there since like 2010 as a medical research professor.

Jesus that's a harsh self own. I mean if she'd done that in say Stalinist Russia or China or something... Eesh.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/6r5mix/what_screams_im_educated_but_not_very_smart/

"I'll take "Things Mainlanders do" for $400, Alex"

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol this thread is so salty right now. She just happened to be Chinese the humor was in someone getting their foot stuck in a revolving door somehow.

this should have been a line in that Crazy Town song

also the vast majority of time when a chinese person gets hurt by a moving object its because they were far too slow and just lingered around in that danger zone RE "standing in elevator doorframe as it drops until they get folded in half", "strolling diagonally through traffic with hands folded behind back until a car blitzes them", "waddling slowly through a revolving door until the back hits them", "getting hit by collapsing rubble because they stopped to watch a skyscraper demolition from across the street"

honestly im impressed that girl didnt get her head caught in the revolving door like some child did a year ago

LentThem fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 3, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Outrail posted:

Jesus that's a harsh self own. I mean if she'd done that in say Stalinist Russia or China or something... Eesh.

She was very lucky to be an American in Taiwan.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

1. shirt
2. vest
3. jacket
4. pants
5. tie

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

1. shirt
2. vest
3. jacket
4. pants
5. tie

1. Vest
2. Over vest
3. Jacket made from knockoff louis vutton fabric
4. Left brogue
5. Right brouge

No pants to enable easier street making GBS threads

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
1.Vest
2.Backup Vest
3. Pocket Watch
4. Pocket Vest
5. Cummerbund

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
We'll never know for sure until oohhboy will just POST THE loving FIVE PIECE SUIT

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I saw my first actual street making GBS threads a few days ago. Usually we're loose with the term and it's actually sidewalk making GBS threads, but this dude was dropping trou in the street itself.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

When she's groomed her hair cave and made it a

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

The landscape in Guizhou is pretty cool.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Ahh, Chosen, my garden is well. How is yours?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Guizhou has really good food too. An underrated province (I assume because it's poor and full of minorities).

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Let's relax with a nice Carlsberg Lager. Too bad they accidentally wrote lager beer in Swedish instead of Danish and they misspelled Copenhagen. And someone managed to make up a fake Danish word for bottling plant. loving Danes can't do anything right.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

What was the purpose of Japan?
On the one hand, Japan lyingly apologized for World War II; on the other hand, Japan tampered with history and visited Yasukuni Shrine. What was the purpose of Japan?I really can not understand, a true and sincere nation should say and do the same, but Japan is not like this

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Guizhou has really good food too. An underrated province (I assume because it's poor and full of minorities).

Yes! It's probably my favorite of all Chinese food. But like you say: poor and full minorities (by Chinese standards).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hedenius posted:

Let's relax with a nice Carlsberg Lager. Too bad they accidentally wrote lager beer in Swedish instead of Danish and they misspelled Copenhagen. And someone managed to make up a fake Danish word for bottling plant. loving Danes can't do anything right.

lol why would you bother making fake carlsberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr. Fix It posted:

What was the purpose of Japan?
On the one hand, Japan lyingly apologized for World War II; on the other hand, Japan tampered with history and visited Yasukuni Shrine. What was the purpose of Japan?I really can not understand, a true and sincere nation should say and do the same, but Japan is not like this
Do u know a Chinese girl make sex with a Japanese dog man is same as his penis is Yasakuni shrine? SHe is bringing great harm to China for visiting Japanese dogm an.

• Locked thread