Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like to play Monarch like I'm playing Macross/Robotech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI

Rearm cooldown perk then faster rearm, more missiles and lock on missiles. It just fills the map with them also lock on missiles are great on open maps since titans can't dodge behind a Wall.

On Rise, speccing for electric smoke and healing shields is great too. Still, Scorch is the "You shall not pass" titan. I'm Aegis 14 on it and I can't wait to get the 3rd round on the thermite launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

dragonshardz posted:

a couple pages back:

Much appreciated!

Guillermus posted:

I like to play Monarch like I'm playing Macross/Robotech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI

This is Tone at the end of the final wave on Homestead... Lock on to a stack of targets and you're just on some Bangai-O level fuckery.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't really get how to use tone, but I've mostly played wargames. I don't know how I'm supposed to lock on to more than 2 targets at once.

Edit: am I supposed to shoot my rockets straight up, like an anime?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wargames is a map where all titans are hosed because it's a bad map so don't worry and once you play anywhere else you'll just get it.

You can lock on more than one target with sonar and the first aegis upgrade will give you more splash radious on your normal shots, meaning that you will put more markers around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My experiences with FD so fat have sucked. Playing on easy we're down to 2 pilots by wave 3 and it's just impossible to win because we can't be everywhere at once.

I can't imagine what the harder difficulties are like.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Snak posted:

My experiences with FD so fat have sucked. Playing on easy we're down to 2 pilots by wave 3 and it's just impossible to win because we can't be everywhere at once.

I can't imagine what the harder difficulties are like.

Put down some turrets, dude!

And fix them fuckers when they get broke.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Turrets dont do poo poo against nuke titans.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

Turrets dont do poo poo against nuke titans.

Just gotta fix them, bro.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I miss quad rocket Stryder so much :( Come back, quad rockets

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just saying, fun in FD is entirely dependant on whether people leave.

I will say that Ticks are my least favorite thing in the game. They just come out of nowhere and 1-shot you from 20 feet away.

I had 5 Ticks jump on my turret, i went up to repair it, another tick came over the wall and killed me. Respawned, went to fix my turret afain, a tick jumped from a nearby roof and killed me.

But yeah basically we win everytime we have 4 pilots.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Reapers shoot ticks out of them consistently until you kill them

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, make sure you're staying on top of the Reaper population. A few games ago I was holding down the dropship on War Games as Northstar. Every so often a decent chunk of my HP would just vanish without explanation. Eventually, I realised it was being caused by a small army of ticks that were being birthed by 3 Reapers that my team mates were ignoring on the rooftops of some buildings on the other side of the map. One or two ticks don't mean too much to the likes of Legion and Scorch, but boy does it hurt Ronin and Northstar!

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 2, 2017

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

So Respawn apparently fixed a bug that was causing players to not receive advocate gifts when they gained an aegis level. Fortunately for those of us that already got quite a few levels Respawn applied this fix retroactively. So when I logged in earlier I finally got the best camo in the game for my favorite Titan:

It's so eye-searingly beautiful, now I just need the weapon camo.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Oh so that’s why I had 30 advocate gifts waiting for me yesterday!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

General Battuta posted:

I miss quad rocket Stryder so much :( Come back, quad rockets
:same: and also Triple Threat, aka a cool gun with a cool name

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Snak posted:

I'm just saying, fun in FD is entirely dependant on whether people leave.

I will say that Ticks are my least favorite thing in the game. They just come out of nowhere and 1-shot you from 20 feet away.

I had 5 Ticks jump on my turret, i went up to repair it, another tick came over the wall and killed me. Respawned, went to fix my turret afain, a tick jumped from a nearby roof and killed me.

But yeah basically we win everytime we have 4 pilots.

Ticks are bullshit, yeah. I wouldn't mind them so much if shooting one chain reactioned the rest, but the huge blast radius still gets me through walls and around corners and whatnot. I just wanna mop up grunts for pretty gun paints :(

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Insert name here posted:

:same: and also Triple Threat, aka a cool gun with a cool name

It bothers me immensely that they reused the model for the Leadwall despite the design making no sense as a shotgun. I miss my beachballs of death, Ronin would be 100x more fun with the real triple threat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Ticks are bullshit, yeah. I wouldn't mind them so much if shooting one chain reactioned the rest, but the huge blast radius still gets me through walls and around corners and whatnot. I just wanna mop up grunts for pretty gun paints :(

Like I've basically never been killed by a tick thay was in my cone of vision. And then I see the kill replay and its the tick launching itself off a nearby roof to explode 15 feet away in midair and oneshot me.

They also seem to have deceptively small hitboxes. I feel like I have to spend a whole lot of time shooting at them before they explode. Like how does it take more than one shotgun blast to blow up a tick?

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 2, 2017

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

It bothers me immensely that they reused the model for the Leadwall despite the design making no sense as a shotgun. I miss my beachballs of death, Ronin would be 100x more fun with the real triple threat.

:yeah: And you'd get to hear your gun going donk doonk dunk

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

General Battuta posted:

:yeah: And you'd get to hear your gun going donk doonk dunk

Shameless self-promoting nostalgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CFYQGGhpxs&hd=1

I loved the triple threat on the close-in maps like Relic. Great fun and the alt-fire really let you precisely put your balls in someone's mouth. It did a shitload of damage against titans with direct contact too. Don't even get me started in the amped version...

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
On the topic of Titanfall 1 nostalgia I really miss the Accelerator Chaingun. The Monarch version is cool too but not nearly as awesome as the original because 1) you only get 40 (50 with Arc Rounds) shots versus the 160 from the first game, 2) it's a final upgrade for Monarch so if you're not doing FD and you're not that great it can be difficult to get and 3) OG Chaingun looked, animated, and felt way cooler (especially with the way the crosshair bounced up and down on your screen independent from your view like your titan was having difficulty compensating for the recoil) :colbert:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

as someone who missed TF1 was Titanfall 1 better in any way besides fanboy grass is always greener poo poo

or is it just grass is always greener poo poo

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

as someone who missed TF1 was Titanfall 1 better in any way besides fanboy grass is always greener poo poo

The launch maps were miles better, the Pilot kits had less bullshit (phase dash :cmon:, fewer and more restricted sonar abilities) and the Titans had less going on but far more customizability. All the Titan primaries were viable and good and it had a couple that haven't returned in TF2 (arc cannon, quad rocket). It was genuinely fun to master each Titan weapon as part of the regeneration challenges. Titans were less disposable, with recharging energy shields and no huge swingy cores to melt you in just a few seconds, but this could lead to dismal games where one team had an unbreakable Titan advantage.

The audio and presentation in Attrition were better — Grunts had a lot more to say, you'd catch little vignettes like Spectres executing Grunts or guys fighting inside buildings, some of the maps had special scripted events for one side winning/losing.

The skill ceiling for pilots was probably a bit higher, which was a mixed bag, because good players would absolutely dump on new players.

Burn Cards were silly but they offered much more interesting rewards than killstreaks. You could turn into a Spectre or be permanently cloaked for one life or attract Grunts so they'd follow you around in a little posse. You couldn't depend on getting them, though, so I don't miss 'em.

TF2 has more interesting pilot gear, way more content, and honestly it's probably better to have fixed Titan loadouts. Also an apparently superb single player campaign!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

TF1 also had the AOG scope for the Kraber which didn't block out your peripheral vision and had almost no zoom factor. They shouldn't have removed it, it's not an actual sniper rifle!

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Unsolicited reply, but I plugged about 300 hours into the original Titanfall and completed all the generations. Have about only 24 in this, most of that from 2/3 singleplayer runs and a good chunk of hours in the coop mode.

I felt it was a much better game than Titanfall 2, but I've been playing this over the weekend with the return of the coop mode. It's fun.

I think the main reason Titanfall 1 was constantly spoken about as "dead/dying/bad," even as this game pulls similar numbers, is because of the mindshare Origin and the Xbone had at the time more than anything about the actual game.

For TF2, I just completely disagree with the concept of locked-loadout "hero" titans and the overabundance of pilot weapons that provide questionable variation in fights. The addition of unlockable camos and such is a good one, but I think the original's complaints of their being only a few weapons could have been offset with visual changes on the weapons based upon attachments other than a scope.

I'll agree with removing burn cards however.

The entire way Titans work in game feels like the team was at odds. In the original they're straight up little more than mobile tanks you command and destroy at will- but became your own with loadouts and such. Here, I guess they want you to feel a more personal connection to them as unique units- that you immediately get killed in with the removal of shields.

You can complain that only a few choices were viable in the original, won't deny that, the options made my choices feel like my own robot buddy more than a paintjob.

The options are more varied in TF2 or pilot movement, and that's great, but they lock so much of it behind rigid class pieces. Everyone should have the grapple and hover midair abilities, full stop. I'm also not a fan of the looks they gave the pilots based upon your tactical, considering the original game was all about stopping the specters of the IMC, feels weird to see them tooling around.

Another, more gameplay focused issue I took, was their bizarre choice to give up on AI modes and double down on everything we've already seen in Call of Duty. The grunts and other characters participating in the fight in a more organic battle, rather than rigid shooting gallery chokepoints like in Bounty Hunt, should have expanded in the sequel. Pilot/Titan only fights aren't what I'm interested in. Attrition's still there, sure, but it feels almost empty compared to the original.

Other smaller details included the removal of moving character portraits in your hud, the "Story mode"- still a more interesting concept that what they executed on in this game- and more "space trucker" worn-in universe I feel lost in the orange/blue/steel hues of this game.

I'm also surprised people tolerate the "free DLC" model so much. Every map that matters- pilot only killboxes I wouldn't count as content- are just ports from TF1. I wouldn't consider getting the "bonus map" of standard DLC packs for free a good trade from what the original game offered, which was 9 completely new levels for $20.

I'd rather see what they can offer that's new rather than what I already burned out on.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
wargames is especially egregious for tick reapers, off the top of my head there's 5 different places that reapers can stand to spawn ticks? most of them are over on the crates side so if your team gets distracted fighting over on the parked dropship side then it can quickly snowball into what the gently caress is going on territory, especially if your teammates dont seem to realise that reapers are where the ticks come from

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TF2 is the better game. Full stop.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LackinPants! posted:

I'm also surprised people tolerate the "free DLC" model so much. Every map that matters- pilot only killboxes I wouldn't count as content- are just ports from TF1. I wouldn't consider getting the "bonus map" of standard DLC packs for free a good trade from what the original game offered, which was 9 completely new levels for $20.

You'd seriously rather have paid DLC in a game that has struggled this much with keeping the player count up? Also, there is one all new map and it's one of the better maps in the game. Not that 1 new map is anything to write home about, but the TF1 maps are probably new to the vast majority of people playing TF2. And honestly I'm not that impressed with most of them and vastly prefer the maps in TF2.

I can't compare the two games because I haven't played the first, but a lot of the stuff people list as "better" actually doesn't sound better at all. Some of it like recharging Titan shields sounds god awful.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 3, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also, if anyone wants to know if it's worth listening to TF1 purists, keep in mind that TF1 players almost universally bitched about how bad Forward base Kodai and Boomtown were in the beta.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I can't compare the two games because I haven't played the first, but a lot of the stuff people list as "better" actually doesn't sound better at all. Some of it like recharging Titan shields sounds god awful.

Even the devs thought recharging shields was an awful design choice, they list it as one of their main failures with TF1.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jeebs how can that sound awful? It makes Titans a mode you play in, just like pilot, instead of a big thug with a timer that's doomed by the time your cockpit turns on*

*worst case scenario

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

My biggest disappointment in TF2 is backing off the AI presence and "living battlefield" feel.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But non-recharging shields mean that you can actually kill titans? And you get your titan back so fast that its not like you rarely get to be in one. Also, there is recharging shields, it's called "my shield went down, let me steal a battery real quick", which is hilarious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Jeebs how can that sound awful? It makes Titans a mode you play in, just like pilot, instead of a big thug with a timer that's doomed by the time your cockpit turns on*

*worst case scenario

I don't get what you mean. If your titan is getting blown up right away either you are playing bad or had some bum luck. I'm not even that good and it's rare that my titan lasts less than a few minutes and it's not unusual for one to last most of a round.

Recharging shields sounds bad for a plethora of reasons.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

quite stretched out posted:

wargames is especially egregious for tick reapers, off the top of my head there's 5 different places that reapers can stand to spawn ticks? most of them are over on the crates side so if your team gets distracted fighting over on the parked dropship side then it can quickly snowball into what the gently caress is going on territory, especially if your teammates dont seem to realise that reapers are where the ticks come from

Which is why I exclusively play the right lane on that map.
There is absolutely way too much bullshit on the left side, and everyone always gets caught up in it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As literally the first person on these forums to reach Gen10 in TF1 (within like a week or so of playing), this game is better by miles and miles.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

LackinPants! posted:

For TF2, I just completely disagree with the concept of locked-loadout "hero" titans and the overabundance of pilot weapons that provide questionable variation in fights. The addition of unlockable camos and such is a good one, but I think the original's complaints of their being only a few weapons could have been offset with visual changes on the weapons based upon attachments other than a scope.

I'll agree with removing burn cards however.

The entire way Titans work in game feels like the team was at odds. In the original they're straight up little more than mobile tanks you command and destroy at will- but became your own with loadouts and such. Here, I guess they want you to feel a more personal connection to them as unique units- that you immediately get killed in with the removal of shields.

You can complain that only a few choices were viable in the original, won't deny that, the options made my choices feel like my own robot buddy more than a paintjob.

Locking Titan weapon and ability loadouts are tied with being able to read what you're up against in a Titan fight. I too have logged in a lot of TF1 time and I was disappointed at first by hearing the changes when I played the beta, but overtime I've realized that whenever I see a specific Titan I have set strategies of how I need to deal with that particular Titan because I'll know how many dashes a Legion or Scorch is capable of (er, come to think of it, do they default at 1 now? I haven't played the new patch) and I know as Ion I could probably out run them and get to cover. I know that once Scorch is close up I'm basically hosed so don't let that happen. If I see a Tone, I know as Ion that only put up vortex when I know he's got 3 40mm shots on me and catch the rockets, jump through his particle wall and throw them back in his face. When the enemy team gets the first Titan drop or any enemy titan drop for that matter, I like to call out what dropped or ask my team what Titan dropped so I know, if I'm in a Titan what I'm gonna go up against, or as a Pilot, if it's like, Ronin keep my distance and shoot from a distance because Ronin doesn't have range.

All that said, I really like Titanfall 2 and I do think it's a better game although with some misgivings. I do miss the original rodeo and popping the hatch and blasting the Titan brains was one of my favorite parts of TF1. The battery mechanic is a good improvement but I wish you had the option of what to do. But overall, it's hard to go back to TF1 after playing TF2, and I've put in some time with TF1.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I'll say the one thing the first game did head and shoulders over the second game was presentation and immersion with poo poo like all the animations being first-person and having AI minions show up in every game mode rather than just 3 (and in which 2 of them they're always enemies). Beyond that it's really just personal preference, like I personally preferred the overall aesthetic of the first game, and I liked being able to fully customize your Titan. Old-school rodeo was a blast too. Overall I'd definitely say TF2 is the better game to play, but there's just a bunch of very specific things I prefer from the first game that aren't necessarily bad in the second game, but I just liked the first game's version of it for one reason or the other.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Insert name here posted:

I'll say the one thing the first game did head and shoulders over the second game was presentation and immersion with poo poo like all the animations being first-person and having AI minions show up in every game mode rather than just 3 (and in which 2 of them they're always enemies). Beyond that it's really just personal preference, like I personally preferred the overall aesthetic of the first game, and I liked being able to fully customize your Titan. Old-school rodeo was a blast too. Overall I'd definitely say TF2 is the better game to play, but there's just a bunch of very specific things I prefer from the first game that aren't necessarily bad in the second game, but I just liked the first game's version of it for one reason or the other.

:yeah:

My feelings also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually do like the move from three varieties of customizable chassis to six (now seven) discrete "hero classes" of mech with specific and knowable capabilities. Going up against other titans in TF1 only felt like there was a difference between weight classes and, beyond that, anything goes. Nowadays you can tell what a titan is capable of and how they're likely to fight at a glance, and that information is something you can act upon rather than relying on a crapshoot of "oh i hope this stryder doesn't have a forty. I hope this stryder doesn't *goose* people with a forty!"

EDIT: Also the differentiation between different titans by their special abilities adds a little more flavor to fights than having a mix-and-match variety of somewhat more pedestrian weapons. I just wish there were even more titan varieties to pick from.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 3, 2017